or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5) - Page 4

post #121 of 1177
the calculator could always speak to you. Also I hope they are updating speech. It appears that way, the new "Vicki" voice is hacked up like they haven't update speech yet. Lets hope they do. If you've ever heard AT&T voice demos Apple should be using those in their OS. Those are high quality speech so good you can think it's a human at times.

I wish at&t would allow more characters and I write an app that could text to speech everything with the at&t voices instead of the crappy speech ones.

http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/
post #122 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by awilkinson
I am a pirate and I should know better than coming to AppleInsider seeking technical support for my pirating ways. Please laugh at me and mock me for my evil ways!!

YARR MATEY!!
post #123 of 1177
I also notice they fixed textedit in this build so that righ clicking again has the alternative spellings for words right at the top. They also changed the suggested words to offer more choices (around 8 now!), more like Windows. This is a good thing and helps me out in day to day editing quite a bit.
post #124 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons.

Its not identical! it's Aqua and a helluvalot better imo
Sure it has the sidebar, coz it has the same functions
but I wouldnt have the feeling I want to make a playlist

I see what you people mean by calling the Aqua part of
the Finder Simple Mode, if a user had only acces to Simple
Finder all windows are Aqua. (no metal) Windows work completely
different though, you can then only have ONE window open..
If you are an admin I wouldnt call it Simple Finder Mode but Multi
Window Mode coz you can have as many toolbarless windows that
you want.
post #125 of 1177
Time for our regular reminder, folks. Do not post here either asking for access to these builds or requesting technical support with these builds. If you are having legitimate issues with the builds you are downloading from Apple, you should contact Apple directly.

Because this software is supposed to be distrubuted in private channels to Apple developers only, any such posts asking for support will be treated as if they fall under the following circumstances:

Quote:
From the Posting Guidelines:

11. Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support for pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same mannar as posts that directly ask for pirated software.

Emphasis mine. We've already had to enforce this policy recently with the release of Panther builds. We will not hesitate to do so again.

Thank you for your cooperation.
post #126 of 1177
That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons

Just being a smarta___ but, what does identical mean ? Is that like twins where one is identical and the other is not ?

Anyway, thanks for all the great panther stuff.
It's a matter of taste
It's a matter of taste
post #127 of 1177
Quote:
I believe what John wants (speak of the devil!) is a return of spatial navigation in the Finder -- as the central, even primary, means of file navigation in OS X.

How much (or whether) the Spatial Finder is used should be up to the individual user.
post #128 of 1177
John, I guess I could use a little clarification on how your Finder proposal differs from what's being offered in this build then. Thanks!
post #129 of 1177
Didn't I write a big article on this topic or something?

Obviously, I will comment on the Finder as it exists in the final release version of Panther. But there's little sense in picking apart reports of developer builds, IMO, since I'd just be making more work for myself

In the meantime, I think anyone who really cares how "pre-release Finder build XYZ" compares with my proposal has the information required to make such a comparison. Maybe I'll post some clarifications later, but answering specific questions would be easier than rewriting the whole article (which you've all read, of course... ;-)
post #130 of 1177
Quote:
SYN wrote:
It's .zip, it hangs the Finder on large files, and it doesn't support resource forks.

Zip is easily extensible to handle things like resource forks. It was the compression format of choice for BeOS, and it handled Be's "attributes" (very similar to MacOS resources) easily enough. I would expect Apple to extend zip similarly. Hey, I'm sure there are some ex-Be employees looking for a job that could do it for them! :-)
post #131 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by John
Obviously, I will comment on the Finder as it exists in the final release version of Panther. But there's little sense in picking apart reports of developer builds, IMO, since I'd just be making more work for myself

That seems fair. In case you have insanely great ideas, Apple will have the chance to implement then to your liking AFTER the development phase is done? Great plan!
post #132 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Reid Ellis
Zip is easily extensible to handle things like resource forks. It was the compression format of choice for BeOS, and it handled Be's "attributes" (very similar to MacOS resources) easily enough. I would expect Apple to extend zip similarly. Hey, I'm sure there are some ex-Be employees looking for a job that could do it for them! :-)

i'm both impressed by your use of color for BE OS and saddened that u took the time to do that haha
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #133 of 1177
Quote:
ast3r3x wrote:
i'm both impressed by your use of color for BE OS and saddened that u took the time to do that haha

It was easy thanks to the wonder of vB Code.
post #134 of 1177
inkhead:
a few questions on ical 1.5 if you don't mind...
1) have any networking functions (i.e. calendar sharing) been activated?
2) is there an option to set a reminder for tasks?
thanks
badlydrawnboy

Quote:
Originally posted by inkhead
iCal 1.5 is a nice update. No more stupid panel that pops up to ad new events. Just edit it right in the window. Right click works everywhere. And a slide drawer (similar to mail) lets you store notes and all the settings for events (new inspector)

Ohh. and it's much faster ;-)

if somebody has a dummy account they can setup on an exchange server or something of the likes I will be more than happy to test it out for you.
post #135 of 1177
Quote:
That seems fair. In case you have insanely great ideas, Apple will have the chance to implement then to your liking AFTER the development phase is done? Great plan!

My "insanely great ideas" for the Finder were in an article published before Panther DP was released.
post #136 of 1177
Brad / Inkhead:

Re: iCal

Can you now visually split the same event across days or parts of a single day? That is, start on Monday, skip Tuesday, finish Wednesday. OR, Start and 9:00 a.m., stop at 11:00 a.m., continue and finish from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m?

Until iCal can visually do things like this without forcing users to create multiple instances of the same event, it will be [difficult for many business types to use it effectively].
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #137 of 1177
This has been bothering me with Jaguar, and I'm wondering if it's been fixed [or improved?] in Jaguar .....

When you have multiple "locations" for your network settings ....

In Jaguar :

If you have an icon in the menubar for your "dial-up" connection, that icon still stays there when you switch to a different location that doesn't require that icon being there [thus, taking up space that's un-needed].

Is this behavior different in panther? or still the same?

I have about 5-6 different location settings (thanks to my powerbook's mobility for that ) and I really hate having all of the icons up in the menubar all at once [dial-up, PPPoE, airport, etc.]. I would prefer to only have them show up when I'm using that "location" setting.

\
post #138 of 1177
I'd love to see some iCal screenshots. Can one of you post some?

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Cheers,
John
post #139 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by panicX
better Finder look/layout imo

http://homepage.mac.com/littlestar/no_icons.jpg

My one peeve is.. well, two actually.

1. I don't like all the wasted space on the border there. Tell me that it is possible to have multiple versions of these windows open? If so, it's just a waste of space. Even if it was only 3 pixels thick instead of.. what looks like 8 or so.

2. I wanna remove just the Sidebar, or just the Toolbar. I want the option to have the toolbar available but not open in the same window. Or at the very least, cram a Search box in the Status bar so I can at least use that. I hate having to toggle the toolbar now to search from the current location. I do this all the time.

3. Ok, so there's three. Sosumi! Anyway, I would prefer if instead of that side bar Apple made it into a sort of "Dock" that lives on the side or bottom of the screen and appears when you start dragging a file. Not only would it take less room, but it'd be damn cool. And it'd have all the volumes listed as well as being customizable like the Dock. But I'll see when it comes out.

Quote:

I don't MIND the Zip format, but the way I've always been able to tell when a file is usable on my Mac and not some Windows specific file/application compressed is by the extension. If it was a SIT or HQX I'd know, KNOW that it would work on my iMac and I didn't need to fear. Now it's just gonna get more confusing.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnpg
I'd love to see some iCal screenshots. Can one of you post some?

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Cheers,
John

I too would like to see iCal if it's been changed at all. I use it all the time as sort of a Journal. Also so I know my work schedule. And since I'm in there all the time, I might as well see what is coming soon.

My friend was gonna "acquire" me a copy of 10.3, but it was probably an older one. Now I don't know if I even wanna bother with what looks to be completely outdated now.

All I ask of Apple is a DATE! And I don't mean December 31st.
post #140 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasoco
My one peeve is.. well, two actually.

1. I don't like all the wasted space on the border there. Tell me that it is possible to have multiple versions of these windows open? If so, it's just a waste of space. Even if it was only 3 pixels thick instead of.. what looks like 8 or so.

its just a mockup, just an idear to show how the same 10.3 Finder
with the same functions as the original brushed 10.3 Finder would
look if it had an Aqua interface
Its basically the same darn application only with (much better imo)
an Aqua interface. So it can have searchbox etc, whatever you want.

The real 10.3 Finder has this extra space too, needs it to separate
the sidebar. I agree it could be a lot thinner, but that is up to Apple.
post #141 of 1177
If they made it using standard tools, it could be up to us. I'd hack that first thing out of the box.
post #142 of 1177
I haven't tried the B release of panther yet but came across some news on Macbidouille (pinch of salt required) that one reader saw impressive (or just plain wrong?) battry life estimates. Just thought I'd pass it on

Macbidouille [Translated]
God made grass. Man made booze. Who do you trust?
God made grass. Man made booze. Who do you trust?
post #143 of 1177
Quote:

It seems likely Panther will just flatten the files before archiving them, the way it's handled when files get copied/moved to Windows machines. Then they would get unflattened when the archive is expanded.
post #144 of 1177
Here's a question about AirPort for anyone out there with Panther: what version of the AirPort software is installed? Is it 3.1 or later? I ask because I hope that it still lets you stick any Broadcom-based 802.11g PC card into a PowerBook and let you enjoy AirPort Extreme goodness on a pre-AirPort Extreme Mac. Read all about it here . So far this is working wonderfully with a 550 MHz TiBook and a Japanese Linksys card (hey, it was cheaper in Tokyo than in Canada!) and I really hope there are no changes in Panther than will muck things up.
post #145 of 1177
i must say compared to the previous panther build this one seems, hmm, buggier, out of nowhere itll do this thing where my mouse and keyboard stop working, i can still move the mouse arrow but cant click on things, and for some reason labels arnt working, and finally as other's have noticed, using your ipod with itunes appears to be a no no. however, it has some good points.

the new preview is awsome, esspecially the cropping images part
zip'ing from the finder is nicely done
expose is ALOT smoother (on a g4 450 with rage pro 16mb pci)
new iCal
Safari seems better

all in all the team did a good job, this thing definately is faster then the previous one, but i should hope we see a software update soon to address some of the bugs.
post #146 of 1177
I'll post some iCal Screenshots when I get back home. I recommend you send feedback to apple about the skipping days. I've never heard of anyone using this in any calendar software and I work at a fortune 500 company. I'll check it out in 1.5
post #147 of 1177
Does safari 1.1 have a contextual menu item for "back" and "forward"? My needs are modest, really.
post #148 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by millhouse

zip'ing from the finder is nicely done

zip is the last thing we need (old and bad).
post #149 of 1177
maybe negotiations are underway with aladdin for using stuffit! Otherwise, why don't they use tar and gzip?
post #150 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by wwwork
Does safari 1.1 have a contextual menu item for "back" and "forward"? My needs are modest, really.

Nope. Sorry.
post #151 of 1177
Ah! Before I forget:

Safari 1.1 properly animates multiple instances of GIFs on one page!

Oh yes. That's nice.

I'll get to the images and questions after I have some dinner. Fear not, proles! I will return later tonight with a hearty bounty.
post #152 of 1177
Quote:
Ah! Before I forget:

Safari 1.1 properly animates multiple instances of GIFs on one page!

Yay !!! finally multiple dancing :banana: 's not that we have them in smilies on this site..

K but the real reason for the post, MacDoubbie are posting some impressive speed numbers for a test machine iMac 600mhz when compared to 10.2.6... can someone here back up these kinda claims..

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....2003-07-30#290

Thanks

we need the bananas
post #153 of 1177
Quote:
That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons.

The sidebar items can be removed and the slider moved over to make that exact same setup.

Yes, yes, I realize that, but I like the new Finder with the new Aqua look.... exactly like his picture illustrated. I know Apple is trying to get across to users that the Finder is now an application and they're trying to keep their interface across the board (as far as their apps are concerned) but I still am 'blah' about a brushed metal Finder. Your mileage my vary.
post #154 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by 123
zip is the last thing we need (old and bad).

...and used by a lot of PC folks who send me their documents.
post #155 of 1177
Oh Oh! Exposé also minimizes windows to their respective screens now rather than pulling all windows from all screens onto the main screen!

It also drives me INSANE when I am loading a page in Safari and I switch to a different browser window and the background page fails loading. The page is immediately brought to the front and a sheet is spit out at you completely interrupting what you are doing.

-Chris
post #156 of 1177
Hey. At least we Mac users are smart enough to know that a SIT or HQX is Stuffit and our computers usually come with the tools to open them as well as ZIP files. Windows doesn't. The only good reason for Stuffit now is to provide OS 7-9 compatability.

Still, I'd rather have an option. I mentioned before why.
post #157 of 1177
Is bluetooth working in this version? I've got a 12" pb and addressbook crashes as soon as it opens. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the BT is killing it... Anyone with a 12" care to corroborate?
post #158 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
Is bluetooth working in this version? I've got a 12" pb and addressbook crashes as soon as it opens. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the BT is killing it... Anyone with a 12" care to corroborate?

I'm on a 12" PB, too and am getting a crash after opening Address Book as well. If you look at the stack trace, it's crashing after IOBluetoothLocalDeviceAvailable... I've tried it with BT on and off and it fails the same way each time.
post #159 of 1177
Brad, I have a few questions about the new Finder.

1) If I open my hard drive - or any folder - on the desktop, switch to browser mode (if not there already), then close the window, which finder mode do I see when:

- I double-click the hard drive again?
- I drag a file over the hard drive?

2) I have a bunch of windows open on the screen, and frontmost is a finder window. Can I complete a drag-drop operation by dragging a file to the 'Exposé desktop' corner, hovering over my hard drive, then navigating via spring-loaded folders to a location nested within?

3) What is the spring-loaded behavior for items in a Finder window's sidebar? Does this differ based on which view the window is in?

4) Any sighting of spring-loaded dock folders?

Thanks!

(In an earlier post, someone said Apple's success with the revamped Finder will lie in its handling of the details... and I heartily agree. If they can't nail drag-drop & spring-loaded interaction, most of Apple's effort spent achieving a spatial Finder is moot, IMHO.)
post #160 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by amitofu
Oh Oh! Exposé also minimizes windows to their respective screens now rather than pulling all windows from all screens onto the main screen!

Is that a good thing or not? I'm trying to vizualize what you're saying, but I don't think I'm quite getting it. So I can't switch between all the applications running, even if the windows are hidden or the application i hidden?

Jason
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)