or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5) - Page 6

post #201 of 1177
Brad, or anyone with 7B* access,

Could you play with the "Crop" functionality in Preview? Will it allow you to crop out a section of a single page PDF, or is it only for JPEGS, etc.?

I really want a nice PDF cropping tool, and I am sick of paying for Acrobat just for one feature...

Thanks for checking!
post #202 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
Could you play with the "Crop" functionality in Preview? Will it allow you to crop out a section of a single page PDF, or is it only for JPEGS, etc.?

Crop is disabled for PDFs. It may or may not be coming.
Carl J Norum
Final Year Electrical Engineering/Computer Science Student
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Canada
Carl J Norum
Saskatoon, Canada
post #203 of 1177
In 10.2, the Finder has a bug of custom icons being set if the icon that you are changing is already custom. Has that been fixed? There's also some other Finder glitches in 10.2 as well.

By the way..what's new about iChat? The beta's (iChat AV Public Beta) a little buggy with custom backgrounds and sending files. Do they still exist?

Sorry if I'm being annoying with a bunch of questions or anything...I just want to see exactly what's fixed, changed, and added.
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
post #204 of 1177
not sure if anyone's mentioned this or not, but i have a REALLY annoying bug where the keboard stops responding.. kind of. command-tab works, and when i log out, i can log back in fine. what happens is, every now and then (more than i'm happy with) text fields, text views and keyboard commands just stop responding to keybaord input. again, except for command-tab. it's a brand new apple keyboard, so that's not the issue. logging out and back in solves the problem. anyone else have this?
post #205 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Norum
Crop is disabled for PDFs. It may or may not be coming.

Alas. Thanks for letting me know.
post #206 of 1177
I am not sure if it is just me, but Panther looks like the Mac OS X we have been waiting for!
post #207 of 1177
In Panther anti-aliased text doesn't work properly. The part that is driving me crazy is in WWDC Panther build terminal typing was fast. Now typing is again slow. Even in some main applications it feels less responsive.
post #208 of 1177
Are you able to tab into drop down menus in safari now?
post #209 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
I am not sure if it is just me, but Panther looks like the Mac OS X we have been waiting for!

I got a hunch we'll say that every year..
post #210 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by badtz

Yes
post #211 of 1177
I've asked this in several places and no one's answered me...

How does Panther handle Fast User Switching in this situation (or is it even possible)?

User A has logged in and is using the Mac. A leaves and the screensaver kicks in with password protection enabled. User B approaches the machine, intending to Fast User Switch to his account.

What happens? Is it possible for B to access his account? How is the password protection addressed? etc.
post #212 of 1177
Yes, Fast User Switching is available via the screensaver.
post #213 of 1177
Guys the photos were really informative, has there been any changes made to the Apple's Calculator app in 10.3, does the Apple Calculator have any new features.
post #214 of 1177
I have posted about it on page 3,
Here is what I said :

-Calculator : Completely redone, bigger, Paper tape in a separate window. A calculation like 10+2x3 returns 16 (in both mode), before it would return 36. scientific calculator now really usable. And best of all, you can modify amounts on the paper tape and have the totals recalculated!!! You can change the precision and the display format: decimal, hexa, ascii, unicode...
post #215 of 1177
Thanks for the quickest reply I have ever received. Wish I had a screenshot, but then again again I could wait for 10.3 final to be released.
post #216 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by inkhead

Yes

Actually .... I think you're still UNABLE to ?

You're unable to tab into a dropdown menu [ie. to select the state you live in when you make a purchase online, etc. etc.] ?
post #217 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Teddy
This build 7B21 has been so buggy for me. Expose isn't working anymore and I can't start my computer without it crashing unless I hold the option key and select the drive for some reason. Anyone else having the same problems.

Yeah.

All the apps crash

Quick switch doesn't use the Keynote trick

The text insertion point is torqued

Pauses where nothing responds

Whole system freezes sometimes

I went back to 7A202 for now. Expose rules totally though.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #218 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by markiv
Wish I had a screenshot

Calculator really isn't that different.

Calculator - basic with tape
Calculator - about box
post #219 of 1177
the main thing im wondering about this update is will they release yet another update for it via software update in control panel, cuz not having labels kinda sucks so itd be nice to see those fixed in this build. other then that wow is this thing alot faster, so nice work on that one apple.
post #220 of 1177
I wish they would redo the calculator. Something like the TI-36X from Texus Instruments would rock. At the very least they could add a backspace.
post #221 of 1177
Thanks for posting the pictures Brad, I like the new Papertape extension. Thanks.
post #222 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
I wish they would redo the calculator. Something like the TI-36X from Texus Instruments would rock. At the very least they could add a backspace.

They should work with HP and build in a Hp-48 emulator. Now that would be cool.
post #223 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by gyc
They should work with HP and build in a Hp-48 emulator. Now that would be cool.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10946

X48 has been around since the 10.0 days.

-- Carl
Carl J Norum
Saskatoon, Canada
Carl J Norum
Saskatoon, Canada
post #224 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by alternatekev
not sure if anyone's mentioned this or not, but i have a REALLY annoying bug where the keboard stops responding.. kind of. command-tab works, and when i log out, i can log back in fine. what happens is, every now and then (more than i'm happy with) text fields, text views and keyboard commands just stop responding to keybaord input.

Yes, I have the same problem with 7A* sometimes. I haven't seen this with 7B* so far. Forcing the Dock to restart works for me, i.e. if I restart the Dock (using the Activity Monitor) I can type again without having to log out and back in.
post #225 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Norum
Yah, iCal works for multi-day events now.

Bingo. thanks Carl
post #226 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
I went back to 7A202 for now.

What's the point in beta-testing old versions?
post #227 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
What's the point in beta-testing old versions?

post #228 of 1177
ok, so for some reason in 10.3 iCannot seem to repair permissions on my mac os x jaguar drive, jaguar is residing on a 32gb partition of a 37gb hard drive (40gb, but 37gb of space) itll repair the permissions on panther's partion which is on its own seperate drive, but not jaguar, anyone got any idea on whats wrong with this?

thanks much

hoping they fix ipod support in mac os x panther, later
post #229 of 1177
Don't use a beta version of Disk Utility to repair other disks. You're just asking for trouble by doing that.
post #230 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Don't use a beta version of Disk Utility to repair other disks. You're just asking for trouble by doing that.

Strictly speaking, you're asking for trouble when you run pre-release operating systems.
post #231 of 1177
Quote:
Oh, I forgot to take shots of the updated iCal 1.5, iChat, and Safari 1.1. I'll get to them later along with anything else I think I forgot and any requests.

CHECK THE PAGES I LINKED AT THE TOP OF MY PREVIOUS POST BEFORE MAKING REQUESTS.

I have a question that I've not read about so far. Does Panther's apple mail have the ability to do 'receipts'? I had this ability back when I still used Netscape mail and it's the one feature I really wish I had. Receipts BTW are not the 'proof of the message being read' responses. I'm talking about the ones that merely get a response from the email server that the message arrived at a mailbox.
MT - Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

post #232 of 1177
As far as I can tell, no, it does not.
post #233 of 1177
Quote:
As far as I can tell, no, it does not.

Darn :/

Thanks for checking.

post #234 of 1177
Is there a difference between a Reciept and the email you get when it bounces back?
post #235 of 1177
A bounced e-mail means the whole thing has been returned without the original recipient reading it (at least bounced messages make it look that way). A receipt tells you that it's been successfully been received, just the opposite really.
post #236 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by millhouse
ok, so for some reason in 10.3 iCannot seem to repair permissions on my mac os x jaguar drive, jaguar is residing on a 32gb partition of a 37gb hard drive (40gb, but 37gb of space) itll repair the permissions on panther's partion which is on its own seperate drive, but not jaguar, anyone got any idea on whats wrong with this?

thanks much

hoping they fix ipod support in mac os x panther, later

You can only repair permissions on your boot volume. If you boot off your panther volume, that's all it can fix. If you boot of your jag volume, that's all it'll fix.

edit: it turns out you can only repair Mac OS X boot volumes, regardless of what you actually used to boot, so I was wrong. My bad.
post #237 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile

Seriously. The point of developer seeds is having experienced people test software that might contain bugs, and has unfinished features. But when there's a newer seed, which probably fixes tons of bugs and also introduces new ones, there definitely is no point in using the older one any more. That's why sometimes they make old builds expire, eh?

And to get something straight for some of the piraters: if you use it, you're on your own. If it breaks your compie, it probably serves you right because this is NOT supposed to be a productive work environment.

Good night :P
post #238 of 1177
I think that it'd be nice of Apple to provide Finder front-ends for the various compression utilities that come with a standard BSD install (and, if need be for such features, make the BSD subsystem a mandatory install). .zip alone is certainly nice, but what of allowing us to set the compression level--fastest or best compression--in Finder prefs? (please set me straight if this is already an option!) What, for that matter, of compressed tape archives, which are more Unix-centric?

Cheers,
Andrew M
post #239 of 1177
something interesting i thought id touch on, is that today on august 4th 2003, when i launched isync 1.2 (in the latest panther) i got the msg that this build has expired, so im wondering if a new isync is on the way as setting back my clock to august 1st let me launch it.
post #240 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
Sorry if I'm being annoying with a bunch of questions or anything...I just want to see exactly what's fixed, changed, and added.

We'll all find this out when the real Panther is released. Alot of things will be fixed, changed, and added to Panther by the time it is released, so what has been changed now isn't necessarily what will stay or what hasn't been changed isn't necessarily going to stay unchanged. Remember, this is just a beta release. The Panther OS still isn't out yet.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)