or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5) - Page 9

post #321 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Chairman Meow
Hmm, how are you installing 7b28? I don't have any of the authentication problems that some people seem to be experiencing. Everything I authenticate works just fine here, where exactly are you seeing this problem?



It could potentially be from the fact that I did an archive and install from the previous release. Everyone that has that I know of ran into the authentication problem. It's easily fixed, so it's not anything to worry about, especially from a prerelease build.

I've noticed that the keyboard and mouse don't lose funcionality like before (which would happen randomly) but iChat sometimes craps out by not allowing you to type anything until you restart it.
post #322 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
No. You can change the names but not the colors.

Well...that's kinda dumb that you can't. Hopefully by the final release they'll allow you to.
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #323 of 1177
Anyone have Expose be broken after the update? The small shadow of windows will still show up but the window itself doesn't shrink like it should.
post #324 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by BoeManE
Do you still have to open the X11 app and use the XTerm terminal, or will it be integrated so that you can run X11 programs from the standard Terminal ?

The way I see it, being Unix based, it should be possible to use the standard Darwin terminal to run any X11 app ?

As before, with any Terminal or any other means of executing commands, you can run X11 programs if the DISPLAY env var is set correctly.
post #325 of 1177
Here's a general Panther question (it's not build specific):

Let's say you've started some time-consuming process, such as a download or installation. You then use fast user switching to switch to another account. In this other account, you surf the web, download a few files, check your mail, etc. for a short while. Now, if you then switch back to your original account, will the download/installation resume from where YOU had left it (as if it had been paused since you were in the other account) or will it have progressed an amount proportional to the time spent in the other account (as if the download/installation continued normally without pausing)?

Considering the fact that UNIX allows multiple simultaneous logins, I'd guess the latter is true. What do you think?

Advance thanks for your replies!
post #326 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
Well...that's kinda dumb that you can't. Hopefully by the final release they'll allow you to.

The problem I see here is they probably used separate graphics for each color, rather than one graphic and changing the Hue to make any color they want from the one image.

It's a stupid idea and if they used Hue adjustment more, they could have allowed us to change the Aqua blue to anything with the Color chooser and it could have been System-wide. But instead they insist on integrating separate Blue and Graphite resources into everything and making separate label images for each color.

So I guess the only way to actually change the color when Panther comes out is to hack the resources.

*sigh*
post #327 of 1177
Does anyone with Panther build 7B21 have this glitch in Finder?



Does anyone who had 7B21 remember if this was the case? Thanks.

i.e. notice the chopped off edges on the buttons
post #328 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasoco
The problem I see here is they probably used separate graphics for each color, rather than one graphic and changing the Hue to make any color they want from the one image.

It's a stupid idea and if they used Hue adjustment more, they could have allowed us to change the Aqua blue to anything with the Color chooser and it could have been System-wide. But instead they insist on integrating separate Blue and Graphite resources into everything and making separate label images for each color.

So I guess the only way to actually change the color when Panther comes out is to hack the resources.

*sigh*

They do need to think more sometimes.

The hue would make things a LOT easier for them too. And it would also make less of us complain about interface. Face it, the interface is not very customizable. Even Windows has more interface options than the Mac does.
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #329 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasoco
The problem I see here is they probably used separate graphics for each color, rather than one graphic and changing the Hue to make any color they want from the one image.

It's a stupid idea and if they used Hue adjustment more, they could have allowed us to change the Aqua blue to anything with the Color chooser and it could have been System-wide. But instead they insist on integrating separate Blue and Graphite resources into everything and making separate label images for each color.

So I guess the only way to actually change the color when Panther comes out is to hack the resources.

*sigh*

And they could have presets for all the classic AppleĀ® colors! In addition to Aqua Blue and Graphite, we'd have:

Bondi
Blueberry
Lime
Key Lime
Grape
Tangerine
Strawberry
Ruby
Indigo
Sage
Snow
Chrome and Pearl (like on new consumer Macs)

maybe Blue dalmation and Flower Power, too, somehow
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Reply
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Reply
post #330 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Jmitch
Does anyone with Panther build 7B21 have this glitch in Finder?



Does anyone who had 7B21 remember if this was the case? Thanks.

i.e. notice the chopped off edges on the buttons

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That reeeally bugs me.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Reply
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Reply
post #331 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Dog Almighty
Yeah, I noticed that, too. That reeeally bugs me.

While I like the doubled-up back and forward widgets, the text label says only Back, even if you can only go Forward....and it never says Forward. And the text is not centered to the button

Regarding using hue adjustment, yes it would be good most of the time but not really. The aqua items are multi-hue to begin with (which, since few people bother to notice, is why when people make aqua-esque images, they tend to look lousy, since they tend to use one hue of blue).

Sliding the hue around might not always yield something attractive, although I'd certainly love the option regardless.

Audion did it well but again the colors they used tended to be one hue per part.

Aqua starts off purply, goes dark sky blue then into greenish blue. Now if the original is multi-hued then you merely slide the hue it will be ok usually. I assume you didn't mean to colorize a greyscale image, which does work but again is pretty flat compared to multi-hue parts.

Anyway, Apple, do something....more than a NOD towards customization please.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #332 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Dog Almighty
And they could have presets for all the classic AppleĀ® colors! In addition to Aqua Blue and Graphite, we'd have:

Bondi
Blueberry
Lime
Key Lime
Grape
Tangerine
Strawberry
Ruby
Indigo
Sage
Snow
Chrome and Pearl (like on new consumer Macs)

maybe Blue dalmation and Flower Power, too, somehow

And then what those dreams end up doing is ticking us off because they're not there! I don't always feel like spending two hours putting a hue on every element just to get it a different color.
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #333 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Vortex
Let's say you've started some time-consuming process, such as a download or installation. You then use fast user switching to switch to another account. In this other account, you surf the web, download a few files, check your mail, etc. for a short while. Now, if you then switch back to your original account, will the download/installation resume from where YOU had left it (as if it had been paused since you were in the other account) or will it have progressed an amount proportional to the time spent in the other account (as if the download/installation continued normally without pausing)?

The original account will continue without pausing.
I've tested this in another way: I logged into the first account, opened iTunes and started playing some music. Then I logged into the second account using fast user switching and the music continued to play! I could even start up iTunes in that second account and play some other music on top of the other!
post #334 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by benjapdk
The original account will continue without pausing.
I've tested this in another way: I logged into the first account, opened iTunes and started playing some music. Then I logged into the second account using fast user switching and the music continued to play! I could even start up iTunes in that second account and play some other music on top of the other!

Even though I don't use multiple users on 10.2, that'd be cool to play around with in Panther!
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #335 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by benjapdk
The original account will continue without pausing.
I've tested this in another way: I logged into the first account, opened iTunes and started playing some music. Then I logged into the second account using fast user switching and the music continued to play! I could even start up iTunes in that second account and play some other music on top of the other!

Wait so while you were in the second account, you could still hear the music from the first account?

That's awesome! I can't wait for Panther to come out!
post #336 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Vortex
Wait so while you were in the second account, you could still hear the music from the first account?

That's awesome! I can't wait for Panther to come out!

Sounds like a glitch to me. what if the second user wants to stop the first users music and listen to his own. can you do that ?
iMac G4 800
Reply
iMac G4 800
Reply
post #337 of 1177
I'm assuming not. So that is a glitch, actually. What a glitch!

Just remember, turn your music off before switching! Then again, they should fix that problem. Active processes can still do their work, but iTunes should stop, and all movies or anything that makes sound should stop playing.

You'll need a fast computer to have active processes in two users at a time..sadly, I don't have that. Oh well =)
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #338 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
Sounds like a glitch to me. what if the second user wants to stop the first users music and listen to his own. can you do that ?

No, I don't think you can. So you're probably right -it's a glitch.

But it still proves that processes keeps running even though you log into another account.
post #339 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by benjapdk
The original account will continue without pausing.
I've tested this in another way: I logged into the first account, opened iTunes and started playing some music. Then I logged into the second account using fast user switching and the music continued to play! I could even start up iTunes in that second account and play some other music on top of the other!

This is a good thing?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #340 of 1177
From a post at Ars Technica:

"Also in the "because we can" department, the Image Capture app in 7B28 uses 3D fast-user switching style transitions to move from thumbnail to thumbnail in the camera download progress sheet. Pretty nifty."

Sounds VERY cool. Wonder how long before this finds its way into iPhoto?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #341 of 1177
The finder is very buggy in 7B28. The Finder crashes frequently. The top of the finder window is too narrow, so if you drag bottom-labeled folders up there for frequent access the label is cut off. I have noticed that dragging files out the left side of the window, over the iDisk icon, automatically mounts the iDisk even when I was just passing over and not trying to drop files on it. The menu bars of applications frequently over-write the icons in the top menu bar. The selection in the number of passes for secure trash is gone. The trash icon in the Dock still appears full after emptying trash. And when you open the trash after deleting, the files still appear to be there. Only when you click on them or try to drag them out of the trash does the Finder realize the files are no longer there. There seems to be a new option in the general preferences of the Finder which allows you to select or deselect whether or not hard disks, servers and iPods are shown on the desktop (this may have been in 7B21 and I didn't notice it). The hard disc specs (number of files and space available) which usually appears at the bottom of the Finder window will pop up randomly in the middle of a folder. I'm not sure I have seen anyone mention it before, but there are a couple of cool new features with Classic. You are now able to access a pulldown menu of Apple Menu Items from the Classic/OS 9.2.2. The icon in the dock while starting Classic fills with color as it is starting up. And a new Classic menu bar icon displays gray when Classic is not running, orange when it is active, and blue when it is idle. The issue with the battery charge time in the menu bar now seems to be fixed. And Panther continues to sip battery power more conservatively than Jag-wire
post #342 of 1177
Just another quick thing about Classic. The Classic UI is now double buffered it appears. So aqua drop shadows are now drawn over a classic application correctly; along with the dock.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
Reply
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
Reply
post #343 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG
Just another quick thing about Classic. The Classic UI is now double buffered it appears. So aqua drop shadows are now drawn over a classic application correctly; along with the dock.

That's the single reason why I stopped using Classic. Honestly, it's so superficial, but I can't stand the eraser effect.

A double-buffered Classic will let me once again use Classic without embarrassment, although I have weaned myself off of Mac OS 9 altogether anyway in the last 2 years, but I do miss certain apps. ("Miss" meaning I still don't "need" them on Mac OS X but they are fun to have if only via Classic, like older versions of Bryce or InfiniD and whatnot)...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #344 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
I'm assuming not. So that is a glitch, actually. What a glitch!

Just remember, turn your music off before switching! Then again, they should fix that problem. Active processes can still do their work, but iTunes should stop, and all movies or anything that makes sound should stop playing.

You'll need a fast computer to have active processes in two users at a time..sadly, I don't have that. Oh well =)

I presume there'll be an option to disable other users' sound.
post #345 of 1177
New cool feature in iCal in panther,
as a reminder you can have a file to be opened, instead of the beep and message.

Think applescript.... and we eventually have got a nice cron, user friendly like scheduler.

bad news... in 7b28 I could not get it to work...
post #346 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by philrobin
New cool feature in iCal in panther,
as a reminder you can have a file to be opened, instead of the beep and message.


Speaking of iCal, whenever I've played around with it at an Apple store, I couldn't find where you can change the catagory colors. Can you do this in this version? (I can't stand the tutti--fruity colors that are the default).

And does the same apply for the label colors? Or will I have to live with those ugly tutti-fruity colors as well?
post #347 of 1177
It is tutti-fruity I am afraid!
If you look at the app ressources there are bitmaps for each color, so there is no way you can cofigure that.

P.

also, talking about iCal, there is still no news of a link between AddressBook's birthday and iCal...

A reminder for birthays would be nice!
post #348 of 1177
post #349 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by philrobin
It is tutti-fruity I am afraid!
If you look at the app ressources there are bitmaps for each color, so there is no way you can cofigure that.

P.

Too bad. Tutti-fruity colors are for chicks...

Maybe a future release will contain an option so that users can change iCal's and the labels colors to their own personal preferences.
post #350 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
I presume there'll be an option to disable other users' sound.

...AND an admin option to halt other users' processes when their accounts aren't the active one. Saves tons of CPU power.
post #351 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by awinn233
More pics at http://thinksecret.com/news/pantherfindersystem5.html

I found this interesting:
Quote:
"For testing purposes, Apple implemented a crash reporting system that sends bug reports to Apple. The Crash Report is invoked when an application unexpectedly quits, and includes an area for the tester to provide a customized problem description."

I've seen Brad's screenshots of this before, and was struck as much then as now that this element in Panther is not necessarily for testers only. The text on the Mac Help Crash Log screenshot reads as if it were geared more toward the average computer user than developers. I'd be interested in seeing if this capability makes its way into the final release version Panther.
post #352 of 1177
I don't think it's been seeded to ADC yet, but there now exists a 7B34 build according to ThinkSecret.
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #353 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by LudwigVan
I found this interesting:

I've seen Brad's screenshots of this before, and was struck as much then as now that this element in Panther is not necessarily for testers only. The text on the Mac Help Crash Log screenshot reads as if it were geared more toward the average computer user than developers. I'd be interested in seeing if this capability makes its way into the final release version Panther.

it gets quite annoying after the 20th time
post #354 of 1177
Hey, as a question of curiosity, is Appleworks getting any updates when Panther comes out? Or will it look the same?
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #355 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
Hey, as a question of curiosity, is Appleworks getting any updates when Panther comes out? Or will it look the same?

Rumor has it that Appleworks is no longer under development, only receiving minor maintenance releases; instead Apple is working on its own MS Office-compatible "iWorks" suite, the Document - Calc -Keynote - FileMaker quarto.
post #356 of 1177
Quote:
The trash icon in the Dock still appears full after emptying trash. And when you open the trash after deleting, the files still appear to be there. Only when you click on them or try to drag them out of the trash does the Finder realize the files are no longer there.

This was a bug I noticed in earlier versions of Jag-wire. Since I no longer own a Mac (I am computerless at present) I can't comment as to whether it remains in later versions but probably is my guess if it's still an issue in Panther. I noticed it when deleting songs from my iTunes music library.
post #357 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
Hey, as a question of curiosity, is Appleworks getting any updates when Panther comes out? Or will it look the same?

AppleWorks is entirely seperate of Panther. It might get replaced with something else. I doubt they're still putting any serious efforts into it.
post #358 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
AppleWorks is entirely seperate of Panther. It might get replaced with something else. I doubt they're still putting any serious efforts into it.

Does anyone know when that Appleworks update is going to be downloadable? Maybe it was, I just forgot. :/
post #359 of 1177
I see. I know it's separate but I was just wondering if any changes would be made when Panther comes out. I guess there won't be.
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Reply
post #360 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
I see. I know it's separate but I was just wondering if any changes would be made when Panther comes out. I guess there won't be.

It's separate, but with the .doc frameworks that TextEdit is showing off, we MIGHT be able to see a number of smaller Word replacements coming out very soon. OS X has got to be a joy to develop for because of the multitude of incredibly useful frameworks available to Cocoa developers. I can't count the number of great small applications that are written in Cocoa by small developers. I love OS X.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)