or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5) - Page 2

post #41 of 1177
Here they come, boys and girls. Hope you enjoy.

Remember that my first "complete" set of snapshots can be found on page 3 and page 8 of the old "Panther Requests" thread for images from the WWDC build. The images I post here will just be of things that have changed since the previous build or things that I missed before.

"Grab Bag"

Cocoa Font Panel
Crash Dialog
Updated Security "lock" Icon

Address Book

Address Book - Preferences, General note the cute new purple help button
Address Book - Preferences, Exchange Synchronization

Chess

Chess - main window
Chess - in "floating board" mode
Chess - Preferences
Chess - rotating the board with the mouse QuickTime movie

Disk Utility

Disk Utility - main window
Disk Utility - About box
Disk Utility - drive selected
Disk Utility - volume selected
Disk Utility - Info window, drive
Disk Utility - Info window, volume
Disk Utility - Fix OS 9 Permissions
Disk Utility - Log window

DVD Player

Not pictured: the new controller now has a grabber on the drawer.

DVD Player - icon

Finder

Finder - Archive "selection" menu item
Finder - archived file icon
Finder - Go menu note the addition of utilities folder
Finder - Preferences, General
Finder - Preferences, Labels
Finder - Preferences, Sidebar
Finder - Preferences, Advanced
Finder - "classic"-style window click the toolbar widget and it toggles from the brushed with the toolbar and sidebar to this
Finder - animated icon launch QuickTime movie

Fonts

Finder - Preferences, Labels
Font Book - main window
Font Book - About box
Font Book - Preferences
Font Book - Preview

Mail

Mail now comes with four gorgeous alert sounds for Fetch Error, Mail Sent, New Mail, and No Mail.

Mail - Viewer using thread view on messages I replied to myself
Mail - Attachments menu
Mail - Preference, General
Mail - Preference, Signatures
Mail - Accounts, Account Information
Mail - Accounts, Special Mailboxes
Mail - Accounts, Advanced

Software Update

Software Update - updates available
Software Update - progress
Software Update - optimizing

System Preferences

System Preferences - main window
System Preferences - Appearance note smooth srolling
System Preferences - Accounts, No Limits
System Preferences - Accounts, Some Limits
System Preferences - Accounts, Simple Finder
System Preferences - Date & Time, Clock
System Preferences - International, Formats

8)

hail to the cash!!
post #42 of 1177
response to Moogs:

By latest you mean the 7B** builds this thread is talking about? Sounds like the answer is one Finder that is either metal or pinstripes depending on how you have it configured. The "new" Finder from WWDC with its toolbar and sidebar is metal is still around, but from what Jonathan is saying, if you turn off the toolbar and sidebar, it goes to the pinstripes appearance.

Brad: Thanks!!! [fixed]

w00t! Exchange! Nothing in Mail though yet.

w00t! Now Chess can kick my ass with snazzier graphics! w00t! Sidebar can hide both iDisk and Network!

Whoa, the icon opening zoom thing is like a simple composited video effect but in real time. Makes you wonder what other niceties they can do with Quartz.

[added] Can you just explain/describe what some of those font panel things do, especially the sliders? Grazie!
post #43 of 1177
Oh, I forgot to take shots of the updated iCal 1.5, iChat, and Safari 1.1. I'll get to them later along with anything else I think I forgot and any requests.

CHECK THE PAGES I LINKED AT THE TOP OF MY PREVIOUS POST BEFORE MAKING REQUESTS.
post #44 of 1177
I do not like the new lock icon

...that being said...where the heck if my G5 and Panther so I can be happy!
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #45 of 1177
heh jaguar vs panther chess...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #46 of 1177
This was covered in the last thread, but does list view now have alternate line shading a la iTunes in this latest version? I know it didn't in the previous version.
post #47 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
This was covered in the last thread, but does list view now have alternate line shading a la iTunes in this latest version?

No, it does not. List view has changed, though. I'll have to take pictures of that too later.
post #48 of 1177
Brad you kick gluteous maximus.

PS - Thanks Rotto for the clarification....
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #49 of 1177
Brad,

Glad to hear you're open to requests...

How about:

Address Book (exchange support is COOL thanks for the png proof)
Mail.app (is said to have exchange support too, can you confirm this?)
iCal (any sign of exchange support in that too... I bet not but)

I guess you can you tell my place of work is (just now) moving to exchange... otherwise I wouldn't be so interested in this kinda stuff.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #50 of 1177
Well ical is updated to version 1.5 so maybe it does have exchange support. I don't have an exchange server to test or I would.

Scroll directories full of pictures, with preview on at large icon sizes is "a shit ton faster" for lack of a better term.
post #51 of 1177
It all looks great -- I'm most wowed by the additions to the Font Panel.

It looks like Panther has added some serious text enhancements to Cocoa. Very very cool.

Like BuonRotto, I'd love to hear (or see) more about the new functionality there as well... I can guess most but not all from the widgets.

Thanks Brad--
post #52 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by inkhead
Well ical is updated to version 1.5 so maybe it does have exchange support. I don't have an exchange server to test or I would.

Well does any of the new iCal prefs show any indication that exchange support is available? When iCal first came out I remember hearing 'exchange support' (and IIRC it was said by someone at Apple) but then nothing ever came of it... boy that would be nice...

Where I work we have 500+ users moving from HP OpenMail (blech) to MS Exchange (also blech) and the last thing I want is to be forcing users into using Entourage (unlike ppl like us - most 'users' don't like big changes) - don't get me wrong, Entourage is nice but some people still want to use Eudora or Mail.app or 'whatever'.... I've got the exchange group to turn on POP and IMAP support so that has taken care of mail and we have a normal unix ldap server (being populated from our AD servers) so we can still do non-authenticated ldap lookups but the last step is Cal support... If entourage is the only client that can access it'll be kinda messy to explain to users that you can still use your favored email client and only use entourage for cal services...

Dave
post #53 of 1177
Multi-Session burning! It's about bloody time!

Is Scan and OCR implemented yet?

And of course, thanks Brad.
post #54 of 1177
Font Panel royally pisses me off why the HELL can't I have a freaking option to have a font menu?

I gotta open a stupid #(%*#)%#&%)(#*&%)#& window everytime I wanna change a font.
post #55 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
Multi-Session burning! It's about bloody time!

Is Scan and OCR implemented yet?

And of course, thanks Brad.

Multi-session burning has been around for awhile. Its in Disc Copy. I use it every so often in Jag.
post #56 of 1177
iCal 1.5 is a nice update. No more stupid panel that pops up to ad new events. Just edit it right in the window. Right click works everywhere. And a slide drawer (similar to mail) lets you store notes and all the settings for events (new inspector)

Ohh. and it's much faster ;-)

if somebody has a dummy account they can setup on an exchange server or something of the likes I will be more than happy to test it out for you.
post #57 of 1177
Has anyone mentioned what compression format Panther uses with its new archive command? Macrumors posted a French report that claimed it was zip, but that simply can't be right, can it?
PPC4EVER
PPC4EVER
post #58 of 1177
the picture in this thread shows .ZIP
post #59 of 1177
And why can't that be right, Big Mac?
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #60 of 1177
Windows friendly attachments
post #61 of 1177
It's .zip, it hangs the Finder on large files, and it doesn't support resource forks.

this is from various reports around the web... Could anyone confirm?
Soyons réalistes, Demandons l'impossible.
post #62 of 1177
Yeah the new archive .zip thing needs work. It looks like they hacked in possibly an open source one. Let us all hope this feature stays in. I'm guessing they are trying to more closely match the feature set of windows.

As much as I liked the Aladdin team, and would be sad to see them gone, it's too much to use their poorly coded apps.
post #63 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by inkhead
As much as I liked the Aladdin team, and would be sad to see them gone, it's too much to use their poorly coded apps.

Are they really that poorly coded? If so, I never noticed it. Plus, it doesn't look like the Finder's taking over archive expansion. Zipping a file is simple enough. I don't think it'll take much Stuffit business. (Who buys that program, anyway?)
post #64 of 1177
Do my eyes see this? Did they fix the addressbook/mail photo bug?

Brad... do Photos in your addressbook show up in your mail from that person?

BZ

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Mail
Mail now comes with four gorgeous alert sounds for Fetch Error, Mail Sent, New Mail, and No Mail.
Mail - Viewer using thread view on messages I replied to myself
hail to the cash!! [/B]
post #65 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by BZ
Do my eyes see this? Did they fix the addressbook/mail photo bug?

Brad... do Photos in your addressbook show up in your mail from that person?

BZ

It's probably the photo he put in his .Mac account. The photo I uploaded to my .Mac account is visible in messages I write.
I can change my sig again!
post #66 of 1177
Yes they show up quite nicely now. Not sure how they showed up before but for some reason they caught my eye this time around.

It's very cool. Now if only I had good pictures of all my friends!

Also if this may not be new, but if you have a message highlighted and go to make a new rule, it automatically puts the highlighted persons email address into the rule. The little Apple touches.
post #67 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by alex_kac
Multi-session burning has been around for awhile. Its in Disc Copy. I use it every so often in Jag.

Am I so daft the I used Jaguar for a year a never knew you could burn multiple sessions?

I could have sworn this was not the case.
post #68 of 1177
Resize volumes in Panther? Very nice, very very nice.. i'm stunned no one noticed:

Please test this function if you have the opportunity. There might be a section of this feature in the Help-documentation.
post #69 of 1177
I tried, but it's grayed out. I think it hasn't been enabled yet. Any word on how I can turn off verify when mounting .dmg disk images? For me it just wastes time. Apple looks like they are actualy catching up the the windows feature set, or at least trying to :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Henriok
Resize volumes in Panther? Very nice, very very nice.. i'm stunned no one noticed:

Please test this function if you have the opportunity. There might be a section of this feature in the Help-documentation.
post #70 of 1177
Seems odd. I assume it only works on non-startup volumes, but doesn't it need to format the volume when you do it?
post #71 of 1177
Three quick questions:
1. The System Preferences Appearance Pane has a check box to "Minimize when double-clicking window title bar". What happens when you double-click a window title bar with this preference unchecked?

2. I read somewhere else that there is a way to access up to four (4) different Places Panes/Sidebars in the Finder. Is this true?

3. When you switch to the "Classic Finder" with the toolbar widget, does the Finder maintain a strict one-window-to-folder relationship like the OS 9 Finder?
post #72 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Henriok

Hmm, might that be for disk images and not actual HDD partitions?
post #73 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by imho
3. When you switch to the "Classic Finder" with the toolbar widget, does the Finder maintain a strict one-window-to-folder relationship like the OS 9 Finder?

YES

I already posted about this in the other thread
post #74 of 1177
you mean to say, that when in list view in the classic finder aqua view, with one folder expanded (ie triangle vertical), double clicing on the folder will actually unexpand its contents in the list view window?

If so, this is finally rhe return of the spatial finder. I doubt it though.
post #75 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
Am I so daft the I used Jaguar for a year a never knew you could burn multiple sessions?

I could have sworn this was not the case.

It's there, just extremely unintuitive and non mac-like.

If you burn ten different times, you get 10 CD images when you put it into your comp!

At least that's what happens to me. Maybe I haven't completely figured it out either.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #76 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Here they come, boys and girls. Hope you enjoy.

I do.

Could you tell about what is happening when you click on the Network icon in the Finder window. Does a list of available servers, networked machines etc. show up?
post #77 of 1177
Is FontBook the same version as previously seen? If not, does it auto-activate fonts?
post #78 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by SYN
you mean to say, that when in list view in the classic finder aqua view, with one folder expanded (ie triangle vertical), double clicing on the folder will actually unexpand its contents in the list view window?

I believe this is the case in Panther.

Quote:
If so, this is finally the return of the spatial finder. I doubt it though.

Such skepticism! I don't see why Apple wouldn't offer a fully spatial (or at the very least, as spatial-as-possible) Finder as an option -- it's not a huge amount of effort to work right, and will quiet a great deal of discontent from a rather vocal group.

Besides, in non-browse mode, it makes sense.
post #79 of 1177
Skepticism is due to the fact that as of the WWDC Preview, the above mentionned "spatialness" involving list view doesn't work right

I see the "dual mode" finder as a step in the right direction though
post #80 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
It's there, just extremely unintuitive and non mac-like.

If you burn ten different times, you get 10 CD images when you put it into your comp!

At least that's what happens to me. Maybe I haven't completely figured it out either.

Toast does this also...i thought it was how all burning programs worked
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)