or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5) - Page 12

post #441 of 1177
7b44 is out ;-) somebody who got it from adc post already, i'm still getting it..
post #442 of 1177
Macrumors snippet (and commentary from their members) indicates it's a very responsive, stable build... but who knows until you try it.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #443 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
Macrumors snippet (and commentary from their members) indicates it's a very responsive, stable build... but who knows until you try it.

Probably the best build of Panther yet. Fixed most of the annoying things that were bugging me like the Trash/File System refresh, Mail not being able to open attachments directly, etc.

Also, open/save sheets have a new animation (very neat). They must have enabled some compiler optimizations or something as everything feels very quick. Safari opens in about 1.5 seconds on my 12-inch, Expose doesn't have to think about animating, it just does it.
post #444 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanthered
They have moved the default settings into the Mail/Safari preferences. Seems kinda weird to have to go into Safari to change your default browser to Mozilla ;-)

Bah, I was tinkering with a 17" PowerBook they had on display at B.Mac. First time I'd sampled Safari, and it was there in the Safari preferences

O_O

Holy ****. I was using 10.3 and didn't even know it.

*bawls*
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
post #445 of 1177
In regards to using Safari to change the default browser, it is currently in the 1.0 release of Safari along with all the original betas of it.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #446 of 1177
Yeah, but in 10.2, it's also in Internet preferences, where it belongs.
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
post #447 of 1177
*click* and the thread view count ticks over the 100,000 mark.

NeXT's heritage of Display Postscript can be seen in System-level PDF support, less so in Quartz Extreme
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #448 of 1177
Yup, QE is specifically leveraging OpenGL and 3D hardware for compositing. PDF support is orthogonal.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #449 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG
In regards to using Safari to change the default browser, it is currently in the 1.0 release of Safari along with all the original betas of it.

You killed my hopes and dreams.
post #450 of 1177
Yum, I'm ready to install this build. I updated (because I like to see what happens) from b21 to b39. Everything appears to have gone smoothly except the underlying stuff at the command line is fuxoroed. This was because in b21 the kernel version was actually listed as newer than the one in b39 or at least from the install errors.

Now to be sadistic and upgrade from b39 to b44. Lol I'll have to do a clean install but at least for fun I can screw it all up.
post #451 of 1177
Can anyone that just got the latest Panther build 7B44 post some screens and maybe give us a few improvements and bug fixes over the prior builds? I especially would like to know if certain visual bugs are fixed, and how is the stability of Finder and Safari? Those were the two areas where I've had problems with these recent builds.

EDIT:
Also, any b39 information is welcome as well.
post #452 of 1177
I get the feeling that Apple really is wrapping up Panther development. I thought we at least had a chance for improved text to speech. Apparently, however, fat Vicki was this year's MIP except we never even got a sampling of Vicki's true talents. I'm guessing any new features will only come in iApps updates.

Just thought of this:
MIP is to Exposé as Fat Vicki is to _______?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #453 of 1177
So far, I think the most optimized build is WWDC, everything after that, except b44(which I haven't seen yet) were not a big improvement and too buggy, especially with video playback (b28 needs to eat it).

I'm hopeful with b44, b39 wasn't too bad. We've been running WWDC upstairs on a G3/350 and it's been running just great ever since I installed it almost 2 months ago: it is a very stable build of Panther.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
post #454 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by willywalloo
So far, I think the most optimized build is WWDC, everything after that, except b44(which I haven't seen yet) were not a big improvement and too buggy, especially with video playback (b28 needs to eat it).

Perhaps, but it had bugs appearing left and right.

Quote:
I'm hopeful with b44, b39 wasn't too bad. We've been running WWDC upstairs on a G3/350 and it's been running just great ever since I installed it almost 2 months ago: it is a very stable build of Panther.

B44 is great and they even threw in a new sheet animation. The installer still has the same glitch as B39 though (nothing to worry about).
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #455 of 1177
Yeah, but until Panther's iChat AV can use iSight - its unfortunately not something I can use

That said, b44 sounds like its almost there. They just need to work on some of the apps.
post #456 of 1177
Quote:

Yes, the video playback sucks in b21 and b28. I'm hoping it is fixed in b44, because I'm skipping b39 and going straight to b44. Did they fix it in b39??
post #457 of 1177
The whole point of beta testing these builds is to give Apple feedback on the current build.
post #458 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
The whole point of beta testing these builds is to give Apple feedback on the current build.

Ya, I know. I was just wondering if they had fixed in the last build or not. No need to get hasty.
post #459 of 1177
So what is this new sheet animation?
post #460 of 1177
With fast-user switching coming, why not implement multiple logins for the same user. It'd be like a pseudo multiple workspace environment.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #461 of 1177
Would someone with b39 or b44 mind posting a screenshot of the finder?
post #462 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG
So what is this new sheet animation?

Imagine a piece of paper coming towards you before it folds down.
JLL

JLL

post #463 of 1177
There's somthing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but I can't be the only one wondering why Apple made Helvetica condensed in Panther?!?
JLL

JLL

post #464 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Imagine a piece of paper coming towards you before it folds down.

Any chance you could use SnapzPro to take a short QuickTime movie of this animation?

Anyone else? I'd love to see it!

Thanks!

-------------------
RosettaStoned
post #465 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
There's somthing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but I can't be the only one wondering why Apple made Helvetica condensed in Panther?!?

Yeah I noticed that, I think it looks a bit untidy.
post #466 of 1177
It fits better on the A4 sized tablet screen.
post #467 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
It fits better on the A4 sized tablet screen.

Perhaps, but Apple will be slaughtered for condensing Helvetica.

They did it to Lucida Grande too in some places btw.
JLL

JLL

post #468 of 1177
B44 is nice! Fast, the new animation brought a smile to my face, and the bugs seem to be disappearing. Only thing that I noticed is the hot corners don't activate screen saver at all. ohhh well! Sweet build though.

Just a quick note that I've noticed. Applications now open in the background. For instance, if you're working in iPhoto and you open up iTunes, that program opens up in the background so the window no longer pops up and interferes with what you were doing. Is this a bug or a feature? Frankly, I hope this is a feature and they keep it like that! Only when you're in the Finder does the app come to the foreground when opened, other than that, the app windows open up behind the app you're running. Awesome. But bug or feature?

Hmmm. It's inconsistent, must be a bug.
post #469 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
B44 is nice! Fast, the new animation brought a smile to my face, and the bugs seem to be disappearing. Only thing that I noticed is the hot corners don't activate screen saver at all. ohhh well! Sweet build though.

Just a quick note that I've noticed. Applications now open in the background. For instance, if you're working in iPhoto and you open up iTunes, that program opens up in the background so the window no longer pops up and interferes with what you were doing. Is this a bug or a feature? Frankly, I hope this is a feature and they keep it like that! Only when you're in the Finder does the app come to the foreground when opened, other than that, the app windows open up behind the app you're running. Awesome. But bug or feature?

Hmmm. It's inconsistent, must be a bug.

They could add a hotkey that, when held, would bring the app to the front automatically. The option key, for instance, hides the current app and shows the opened one, at least in 7B39.
post #470 of 1177
Can anyone do a Snapz capture of the sheet animation?

(Brad?)
post #471 of 1177
even less pinstripes in this build I have heard, like in DiskUtily and
sys prefs toolbar... no stripes

yes, good apple, good... no stripes yes good! :P
post #472 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by panicX

yes, good apple, good... no stipes yes good! :P

Copy paste jobs from MacNN? Or is it the other way around? Even the grammar mistakes were copied. Pathetic.
post #473 of 1177
If I am the same user with a different nick (wich I am) on two Panther
forums on different sites and I want to post the comment on both
forums I am pathetic?

Think Again (and different this time) .. YOU are the pathetic one
that you even bother with it. And that you can't even open your
mind to any other assumption then the one you made.

First you say it is a copy/paste job, then you say it has the same
spelling mistake... yeh...duh... logical if it is copy/paste right?
(to make you happy I corrected them on both forums)

Sorry for sounding harsh but...
Please go find someone your own size to pick on, mistah

(however, apologies will be accepted)
post #474 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by panicX

yes, good apple, good... no stripes yes good! :P

Hmm...I actually like the stripes Panther will have.. It makes the operating system's interface unique in my opinion.
post #475 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by jwill
Hmm...I actually like the stripes Panther will have.. It makes the operating system's interface unique in my opinion.

I agree. It gives it texture and depth, harking back to the days of OS 9 and the horizontal straipes on title bars: it looks like something grippy and easy to drag.

The plain gradient title bars in XP really don't look cool because there's no texture in them.
post #476 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by andrewm
They could add a hotkey that, when held, would bring the app to the front automatically. The option key, for instance, hides the current app and shows the opened one, at least in 7B39.

An option in the general preferences pane would be more convenient, I think. Sounds like Panther is getting more and more featureful than was expected.
post #477 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Can anyone do a Snapz capture of the sheet animation?

(Brad?)

It's not much to see (it's we're talking about the same thing). Instead of sliding down, it's more like it's rolling down from something it's hanging on. But the best thing about it, is that it is to quick. The old animation was pretty slow and was annoying every time you were doing something quickly, like making haste through a quick installer, but this animation is just quick and you don't have to sit and wait for it.
post #478 of 1177
Quote:
Originally posted by Zapchud
It's not much to see (it's we're talking about the same thing). Instead of sliding down, it's more like it's rolling down from something it's hanging on. But the best thing about it, is that it is to quick. The old animation was pretty slow and was annoying every time you were doing something quickly, like making haste through a quick installer, but this animation is just quick and you don't have to sit and wait for it.

Ohhh, you mean it's a new minimize effect?
post #479 of 1177
No.

Try for example and fire up the installer for an app, that has a license-agreement. Upon pressing "Next", you're prompted with this "I agree" and "I'm stupid and I don't want to install this software anyways"-buttons. This dialogue slides down from the top of Installer.apps window in Jaguar, while it rolls down, more or less in 3D in Panther.

That's at least the effect I talk about

The implementation of Samba, and generally network-browsing is a whole world better than anything else MacOS. Even better than Windows too, because instead of displaying everything very similiar to local folders, you're instead getting a connect-window in the next column in column-view. You do not mount these as a volume.

However, it's very buggy still. I'm on a network with ~50 PC's here, I can connect to a whole lot of them, but whenever I try to open f.ex. a folder, it disappears instead of opening. Weird stuff

And that's so far the only bug I've discovered yet in 7b44 (installed an hour ago). It's Snappy and nice as $/)%/$, but I cannot comment on whether it's snappier or nicer than the previous builds, because this is the first I've installed.

One hell of an OS!
post #480 of 1177
bgmccollum over at the MacNN forums posted a picture of the new sheet animation, it looks really cool.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)