or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Find me a phone! (Come join in)

Find me a phone! (Come join in)

post #1 of 41
We seem to have loads of people on here who know a lot about phones. I thought this could be a thread for us less knowledgeable folk to list what we want in a phone and have people suggest phones for us to consider.

I want:
  • Bluetooth
  • iSync (over bluetooth)
  • Organiser features
  • Colour
  • GSM 1800mhz
  • A decent keypad - large keys and in standard layout. (So not the Nokia 3650)
  • I'll consider PalmOS phones, if they have bluetooth and don't need a hands free kit to speak into.

Any suggestions?

If you're looking for a phone, post your own list.

Amorya
post #2 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorya
We seem to have loads of people on here who know a lot about phones. I thought this could be a thread for us less knowledgeable folk to list what we want in a phone and have people suggest phones for us to consider.

I want:
  • Bluetooth
  • iSync (over bluetooth)
  • Organiser features
  • Colour
  • GSM 1800mhz
  • I'll consider PalmOS phones, if they have bluetooth and don't need a hands free kit to speak into.

Any suggestions?

Amorya

Personally, I'm waiting for the Motorola V500/600. That thing is gonna rock.
post #3 of 41
Amorya,

Looking at the spec, I think your best bet is the Sony Ericsson T610:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/

I don't have one, but it looks quite good.

I currently own a Nokia 6310i phone - it meets some of your requirements except for the colour screen, and I don't think it will sync using Bluetooth and iSync . Apart from that, it's a fantastic phone and the battery last for eons .
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave.
post #4 of 41
I know you've ruled out the Nokia 3650 because of the non-standard keypad, but it meets all of your other requirements and is a wonderful phone. I would strongly reconsider it...
--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
post #5 of 41
My T610 should arrive any day now, so I'll post a few thoughts when it does.
Stoo
Stoo
post #6 of 41
I have my T616 now!

This is a great phone period. It meets all of your requirements. The only issue is that it is expensive. Otherwise, get it, you won't regret it.

Some places to customize it:

Mobileida
My T610

The other thing to note is that any midi file can be used as a ringtone. I love not having to pay for my ringtones, with the T610 it is free.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by highfalutintodd
I know you've ruled out the Nokia 3650 because of the non-standard keypad, but it meets all of your other requirements and is a wonderful phone. I would strongly reconsider it...

Yeah I second that. The keypad doesn't take long to get used to, really.
"I think I will take a little nap. Right here." - Grover
"I think I will take a little nap. Right here." - Grover
post #8 of 41
T610.
meh
meh
post #9 of 41
Sony Ericsson T68i, it's got all of the features you listed and works nicely with my Mac, it's fairly small, battery lasts for ages.

I know it's a fairly old phone now, but I can't think of anything more I'd want to add to it, you can even by one of them camera add-ons for it, but why people want to do that eludes me.
------
Yet i'm nothing more than a line in your book
------
Yet i'm nothing more than a line in your book
post #10 of 41
SE T610, I have had one for about 2 weeks and is good, camera is a toy , but could have some uses. Works well with iSync over bluetooth.
It's a matter of taste
It's a matter of taste
post #11 of 41
Treo 600 with Bluetooth SDIO card
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by dnisbet
Sony Ericsson T68i, it's got all of the features you listed and works nicely with my Mac, it's fairly small, battery lasts for ages.

I know it's a fairly old phone now, but I can't think of anything more I'd want to add to it, you can even by one of them camera add-ons for it, but why people want to do that eludes me.

I have one and I hate it. The interface crawls, especially when first turned on. The RF reception is ridiculously bad, so if your network is at all flaky you won't get a connection. The only good thing about it is the bluetooth. I am definitely going to ditch it as soon as the Treo 600 comes out...
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by TKN
I have one and I hate it. The interface crawls, especially when first turned on. The RF reception is ridiculously bad, so if your network is at all flaky you won't get a connection. The only good thing about it is the bluetooth. I am definitely going to ditch it as soon as the Treo 600 comes out...

I second that. My T68i has the worst reception of all the phones I have owned over the past few years. I originally thought it was my GSM network at fault, but I have since noticed other T68i phones experiencing the same connection problems. Other models like Nokia's and Motorola's work well. I have to wait 3 more months before I can replace it, hopefully the elusive Motorola V600 will be out by then.
post #14 of 41
just got my T610 lastnight...this thing better not suck like my T68 did
post #15 of 41
Believe it or not, your want for Bluetooth really limits you to the T610, P800, 7650, 3650, or Treo 600. Well, actually, since you want to use 1800MHz, you also have the lovely Nokia 8910i, which is truly a Mac phone if I ever saw one (beautiful, different, industrial design-centric, easy to use, somewhat in the higher price range), though minimal organiser features. And I'm also forgetting about the soon to arrive Samsung SGH-i500 (not to be confused with the much lesser SPH-i500 for CDMA). This triband GSM phone packs Palm OS 5.2, ARM, BT, storage, all sorts of great stuff, including an awesome display and pleasant aesthetics, into a very tiny little package (at least compared to my Kyocera 7135 (cdma ) palmphone). So check it out, too, when it comes around. Not sure if Orange is in your area, but they are great with releasing hot new phones.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #16 of 41
good thing you dont live in japan...otherwise you will have "ZERO" options.
There are absolutely "NO" bluetooth enabled cellphones here...its driving me nuts
"look at all these wonderful toys..."
"look at all these wonderful toys..."
post #17 of 41
Well the whole T608 fiasco (oh dont get me started!) really put me off. I have decided that a bluetooth phone is just not worth the drama.

That is why I am going with a smartphone. All smartphones sync via Palm Desktop in their cradle. I was GOING to get a T608 and Clie TG50 for email/IM etc, but with a smartphone, is it all in one device, which obivates the need for BT. The only thing is if I wanted a data connection on my LAPTOP, but it isnt often I am somewhere with my laptop and no WiFi.

The Treo 600 is the FIRST smartphone I would consider. It gets most of it right. I think it is only keeping BT-built-in out in the 1st revision so that the update seems superior, but I can always get the SDIO card. The low-res screen is my only complaint (battery life, my ass! I would sooooo sacrifice some battery for a high res screen!), but the rest is perfection.

God I cant wait!
post #18 of 41
Go for T610.

I've got T616 and it's great.

Works with SonyEricsson Clicker.
I was considering P800, but after seeing what P900 (P810?) will be capable of decided to use T616 until it comes out.

good luck
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
post #19 of 41
Check out this post for Motorola V400, V500, and V600 specs. The phones should all be out in the US in October at the latest. I think they get released in Europe next month.

The V-600 is a quadband phone (GSM 850/900/1800/1900), has bluetooth, a camera, a killer screen, video playback/capture, etc. The only thing missing is irDA, but I have no need for that.

The V-500 is exactly the same, but it doesn't have video playback/capture.

The V-400 is like the V-500 but lacks bluetooth.

These phones are gonna rock
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Abrey
Amorya,

Looking at the spec, I think your best bet is the Sony Ericsson T610:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/

I don't have one, but it looks quite good.

I currently own a Nokia 6310i phone - it meets some of your requirements except for the colour screen, and I don't think it will sync using Bluetooth and iSync . Apart from that, it's a fantastic phone and the battery last for eons .
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave.

I have a 6310i and it's great.
I agree with the negative comments about the T68i - I couldn't wait to get rid of that POS and replace it with my Nokia.

As far as syncing goes, the 6810i syncs fine via bluetooth by using OnSync.
It mangles the name a little bit (i.e. Grove Apple Store shows up as Grove (work) Apple Store), but I can live with that instead of having to type hundreds of names and numbers.
post #21 of 41
yes its got faults, but i still couldn't live without my p800...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #22 of 41
T610.
post #23 of 41
Personally for me the phone doesnt matter as long as it runs Sailing Clicker.
My T68i ( with the world smallest keypad (thanx PHONYericsson) is my DVD remote control for my powerbook!!!
and my house is all X10... want a digital hub lifestyle try turning on the house light before even getting home....
post #24 of 41
I'm looking for a new bluetooth phone in the DC area...rep at the AT&T store recommended Siemens mobiles...anyone have any experience w/ the S56 or SL56???
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by iDebaser
I'm looking for a new bluetooth phone in the DC area...rep at the AT&T store recommended Siemens mobiles...anyone have any experience w/ the S56 or SL56???

No bluetooth on the SL56. From all the reports I've read, the S56 rules though. A good resource for cell phone info is www.howardchui.com and so are the forums over there.
post #26 of 41
No color but the T39 is a good deal on Ebay. I just got one and Bluetooth works well with iSync.
1 ghz Ti, Superdrive | Dual 2Ghz Powermac | 17" LCD | 30 Gig iPod |1GB iPod Shuffle|
1 ghz Ti, Superdrive | Dual 2Ghz Powermac | 17" LCD | 30 Gig iPod |1GB iPod Shuffle|
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorya

I want:
  • Bluetooth
  • iSync (over bluetooth)
  • Organiser features
  • Colour
  • GSM 1800mhz

Any suggestions?

Amorya

Like most others, I would strongly recommend the T610. Have been using it for a month now and am most happy with it. Used the P800 for a month before that. Half the weight of the P800 and solidly built all around. BUT!!! memory is limited (only 2 mb) and no expandibility. Much slower version of GPRS than P800 hence not really useful for web surfing, barely usable for email.
post #28 of 41
wait for the z1010.
if you dont wait for it, you will still end up buying it when it does come out.
post #29 of 41
Can someone who has handled both compare the sizes of the T68 and the T610?

I like a phone that fits easily into my pocket and can be easily hidden... but want BT and a world phone.

Thanks.
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by tismfu
Can someone who has handled both compare the sizes of the T68 and the T610?

I like a phone that fits easily into my pocket and can be easily hidden... but want BT and a world phone.

Thanks.

Had all three, t68i, p800 and t610, still say for your purposes t610 is the best. real smooth lines, though squarish. lots more functions than the t68i, including a camera. found the synching with isynch smoother too.
post #31 of 41
Am in the process of trying out a T610 on T-Mobile. Used to have a handful of ATT GSM phones (T68i, Nokia 89**, and Siemens SL46). I am in the process of trying to replace SprintPCS and a Samsung A500. As far as the comparison between the T68 goes, there isnt much. The interface is MUCh faster on the T610 than on the T68. Reception is also FAR better with the T610 than with the T68, although I think that that is moreof a function of the provoder than the phone in my case. All 3 ATT phones would not get reception for squat. Size wise the phones are about the same. I have the T610 in my pocket right now and am using the GPRS connection to post. So far I have not had any problems with the T610. Got a bit squirrely in Houston this weekend where I didnt get signal in restaurant and one day had signal at my folks and the next day it didnt. I hear great things about the S55, but havent had a change to even look at one yet. The 610 works great with iSinc, although I did have a 1 hour time difference between my iCal times and the phone times. Think it was related to different time zone settings and have sorted it out for now.
post #32 of 41
If anyone can help me, I am looking for a Bluetooth phone without ANY extras. Just to connect to the net with my pBG4 12". Preferably small and under $100, ideally under $50. We already have US Cellular (nothing else is available here I don't believe, maybe 1 other company)

Why is Bluetooth expensive? Belkin announced a new BT mouse today available Oct, 4 buttons and a wheel with BT for $80. Eek!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #33 of 41
Not sure if you can have a BT phone for that little as of yet. Its still the new nifty thing to get kind of thing.
post #34 of 41
According to this it's free after rebates: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...eless&n=507846

There are similar offers with other phones, I haven't looked in any detail.
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
post #35 of 41
Hard to get bluetooth phone for such prices as they usually are only included in high end phones. only possibility is the old models of sony ericsson like the 68. you are right about ridiculous prices on this as a blue tooth chip is only about 5 bucks now in industrial quantities.
post #36 of 41
Yes it's a ripoff. BT was supposed to be cheap. That Amazon offer makes you sign up and I already have service.
post #37 of 41
Yeah, what a ripoff, it's not like that $5 Bluetooth chip has any other related costs, like software used by and used for BT, testing, support, interoperability, royalties, power requirements...
post #38 of 41

BT phones are $800
post #39 of 41
Bluetooth phones without activation at Amazon for much less than US$800:
Nokia 3650 - US$300
Ericsson T68i - US$150
Ericsson T616 - US$220

The only one near US$800 is the P800.

[edit]My only point was that the cost for bluetooth in a phone is not just the price of the hardware. I'll concede that Bluetooth phones are more expensive than those without.
post #40 of 41
Is there any reason no one is recommending the 3650? Come on guys, it's recommended by Mobile Asses dot com.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Find me a phone! (Come join in)