or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iPod 2.1?

iPod 2.1?

post #1 of 28
post #2 of 28
I hope this supposed software update will work on 1st and 2nd gen iPods as well!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #3 of 28
post #4 of 28
Recording should have been in the iPod a long time ago.

I'd like to see the option to record Stereo 16/41k and Mono 16bit and 8bit.

I'd like to see AAC HE(High Efficieny) as well. The iPod needs to become a Platform. It can hold Music, Files and should be able to take dictation. Add a Mic port or offer a line level Microphone.

Apple ..you want to keep the iPod as the #1 Digital Device...make it integrate into our lives even more!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 28
post #6 of 28
I dunno if the iPod needs to become a platform, but it can and should catch a few other functions.

From day one I've been asking for a voice recorder, but to make it truly useful it's gotta go WAY beyond 60 minutes. It needs hours of recording, not minutes. But to get those hours it will have to be able to record the line-in directly to MP3 format. Can the iPod's CPU handle on the fly MP3 encoding? I hope so, but then there might be RIAA issues for such a high profile product?

The second feature, now that the iPod has what's fast becoming the standard of Digital Still Cameras, USB1.1/2. Why not make a little connector and write a driver for mass storage that lets the iPod act as a digital wallet? It doesn't need to have a color screen, just the ability to get "rolls" of film directly from a camera into the iPod. Then, when you dock your pod, it launches both iTunes and iPhoto and lets you DL your pics or organize your music, and hopefully voice notes.
IBL!
IBL!
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
Why not make a little connector and write a driver for mass storage that lets the iPod act as a digital wallet? <...> just the ability to get "rolls" of film directly from a camera into the iPod.

Hear, hear. This would be a godsend.

If only I could plug my Sandisk FireWire CF reader directly into the iPod.

BTW, there's no likelihood whatsoever a 2.1 update would work on Gen 1 & 2 iPods when they can't even update to 2.0.

Besides, a recording features would probably make use of the new connector introduced with Gen 3 that earlier 'Pods didn't have.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by sikkd
There are also other speculations about other features, but i do not thrust them...

Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #9 of 28
We have an iPod marketing video @ the AppleCentre.

It shows a Diary (calender, contacts, whatever), a normal book (notes or Audible) and get this... a street directory!

The three books show up in front of each other and morph into an iPod.

Hopefully that will be coming soon, how cool would that be!

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
The second feature, now that the iPod has what's fast becoming the standard of Digital Still Cameras, USB1.1/2. Why not make a little connector and write a driver for mass storage that lets the iPod act as a digital wallet? It doesn't need to have a color screen, just the ability to get "rolls" of film directly from a camera into the iPod. Then, when you dock your pod, it launches both iTunes and iPhoto and lets you DL your pics or organize your music, and hopefully voice notes.

Great ideas - but if iPod is going to do this and, since it already syncs with iCal... then colour is what I am waiting for.

However, I realise the wait could be a long one.
less is more
less is more
post #11 of 28
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Who has said it will be long????

Apple has ordered already color Flexible Organic LEDs with 16.7 Mio Colors!

I don't know if they are for the ipod, but the size is approximtively the same.

EXCELLENT!

btw - ummm, how do you know this?
less is more
less is more
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac+
Great ideas - but if iPod is going to do this and, since it already syncs with iCal... then colour is what I am waiting for.

However, I realise the wait could be a long one.

I agree that color would make for peace of mind previews, just to make sure the images actually got into the iPod, but there are probably ways to confirm your DL's even on a Black and white screen, total MB's transfered and shots per roll read-outs...
IBL!
IBL!
post #14 of 28
Please remember that sikkd is the one who posted screenshots of an Apple web page about an eMac mouse trade in with so many spelling and language errors that it wasn't even laughable.

And he said that 10.2.7 will add AAC2 and FairPlay2.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #15 of 28
Quote:
There are also other speculations about other features, but i do not thrust them...

Good thinking; chafing can be a problem in situations like this...
post #16 of 28
I still think Apple should drop the prices on all the models by about 50-100 dollars, and then release a "high end" pro-pod model, that came in aluminum(or black) and featured as many gimicky features as one could stuff on an mp3 player.

recording, radio, built in mic, eq, onboard mixing, multiple line I/O...etc.

This way, people could still get the great regular iPods, but shaved down a little in the price department, and those that wanted anything else, could spend their $500 on that shiny new pro-pod, and have everything they could ever want in an .mp3 player.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robust
I still think Apple should drop the prices on all the models by about 50-100 dollars...

As long as they sell more than they can make it would be absolutely stupid of them to drop the prices.
JLL

JLL

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
As long as they sell more than they can make it would be absolutely stupid of them to drop the prices.

Not true because if they were more affordable everyone on (pretty much) planet earth would own one.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by inkhead
Not true because if they were more affordable everyone on (pretty much) planet earth would own one.

No, they are selling them fine at the current expensive prices. Makes no sense to lower the price, unless new models were coming out real soon.

Personally, I think that a next version of the iPod should include (before a color screen, visualisers, etc) an audio-in minijack to record from other sources in real time, like Sony MiniDiscs. You could record music from directv music channels or the news on TV and then listen to them while you go jogging or whatever.

Even tho I have an iPod, I'm considering the purchase of a minidisc recorder, just because of that functionality (and because they're dirt cheap).
post #20 of 28
With the introduction of recording capabilities, Apple should also introduce karaoke_technology into the ipod.

In addition to regular music, the iTunes Music store should sell AACs without vocals but with lyrics that can be read while the music plays... text which would prompt you when a certain vocal was supposed to be sung... like a karaoke machine.

The iPod could record your voice mixed with the music and create a final recording that you could share with your friends.

I don't know if it would be possible, but what might also be nice is if the ipod could adjust the recording's vocal effects (such as reverb, echo etc.) when the song prompted it.

Recording capabilities when combined with the ipod's text reading capabilities and the sales abilitiy of the iTunes music store would set the ipod even further apart from the competition and would make sales even stronger for both the ipod AND the ITMS.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL

Quote:

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by inkhead

But they can't produce that many.

When you sell as many as you can make you can charge a premium.
JLL

JLL

post #23 of 28
Pardon any ignorance upon my part, but there seems to be little discussion with regard to output. What of a Tos-link output? Dolby 5.1?
post #24 of 28
I'm personally rooting for a color screen. I'd love to be able to take my photo album with me everywhere I go. I'd also like to have the album artwork displayed whilst listening to a CD.
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #25 of 28
Hey, I just bought my wife a 10GB iPod today.

Is it just me, or is the screen a little hard to read at some angles?
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #26 of 28
Not sure if anyone else has leaked this, but Apple has built working 60GB iPods. I can't really say anything more, but there are aparently only about 10 in existence as of now, but should be on the way as the market demands...

feel free to not believe, but i'm not trying to sell anyone anything.
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC
Hey, I just bought my wife a 10GB iPod today.

Is it just me, or is the screen a little hard to read at some angles?

I just checked mine... seems fine at most angles. Maybe you could try adjusting the contrast and see if it helps? Or maybe the lighting in the room, or something.

Well, now that you mention it, my former iPod had a kinda funny screen. At certain angles, you could see a lil rainbow from the screen breaking down the colors from the light that hit it. But that was a 2nd gen iPod.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
I hope this supposed software update will work on 1st and 2nd gen iPods as well!

Anything from 2.0 on won't work on previous iPods, as they have a different operating system (Pixo-based, not in-house-made).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iPod 2.1?