or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › How Much've you Got from Apple Music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Much've you Got from Apple Music?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
It seems my music-buying from the ITMS goes in spurts. I've been off it for a while, but just now I got another seven bucks in songs. I guess that's the beauty and riskiness of it. But looking at my purchased music folder, it's scary to think I've downloaded just over half a gigabyte of music from the music store.

Do I have a problem? Are there others with the "hey, it's just $.99 right?" syndrome?
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
Reply
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
Reply
post #2 of 38
I just crossed the one gig point for iTunes purchases yesterday.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #3 of 38
I just installed Jaguar yesterday and before i even got everything set up i bought 7 songs
post #4 of 38
I've bought 127 megs of music, and none of it was for me. I got other people(my mom and dad ) interested in the iTMS by buying them music, though.
post #5 of 38
nada
post #6 of 38
i have 148 puchased songs on my comp, my kids have 30 purchased songs on their iMac, and I have another 28 in my shopping cart.
all this and a new 15bg ipod last week. I gave my 10 yr old boy my original 5 gb ipod....he's gonna be the coolest 5th grader at school.
post #7 of 38
I'm waiting till I get an iPod, but a friend of mine spent about 200 bucks in the first few days...he didn't even realize how much he had spent.
orange you just glad?
Reply
orange you just glad?
Reply
post #8 of 38
I've bought nothing. I like the idea, but when there is a record I want, I hit up amazon.com's used sellers for the CD. It's usually maybe a dollar or two more than buying from the iTMS. Sure, I have to wait for the CD to come, but once it does come I have the original CD with no DRM restrictions that I can rip myself.

I just can't bring myself to own restricted music
post #9 of 38
I've only bought five songs so far:

"Amsterdam" by Guster
"Darlington County" by Springsteen
"Outta-Space" by Billy Preston
"The Coal Mine Blues" by Marty Stuart
"Diddley Daddy" by Chris Isaak



I've given myself a $20-25/month music budget, so I can safely get about 15-20 more songs (or 1-2 complete albums) before the end of August.

I'll probably get "East Side Story" from Squeeze and a few scattered singles.

I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm quite sure I've bought my last store-bought CD. THIS is how it should be...what you want, when you want it.
post #10 of 38
I've bought no less than 5 30-track albums on iTMS, all except 1 were $10. My CD-buying days aren't over -- not until the indie labels get on board at least, but there is so much stuff available as single tracks and backcatalog items that weren't worth a whole EP or CD, that I still have plenty of shopping to do.
post #11 of 38
So far:
post #12 of 38
Nothing, until Apple allows a way to use gift certificates and/or an account you can 'charge up' by mail/money orders, I have a thing with credit cards, it's a mutual hatred.
post #13 of 38
Absolutely none. I personally prefer to just buy a cd. I rip my music into 320kbps mp3, and that is what I like. Now, in the future there may be a song or two I will want to buy from the ITMS but at the moment, I cannot think of anything.... That is not to say I don't think it is a great idea. I do think it is a great idea. Just not for me. Heh.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
post #14 of 38
159 songs.

Various totals:
615 minutes, 587.1 MB of music.
147.15 dollars spent.

<93 cents per song. ~25 cents per megabyte.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #15 of 38
Nothing, I'm in the UK
G4 iBook + 40Gb iPod = Heaven
Reply
G4 iBook + 40Gb iPod = Heaven
Reply
post #16 of 38
3 Albums, 5 singles.

post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
I just can't bring myself to own restricted music

There are programs which rip iTMS files to AIFF.

Myself, precisely ZERO gigabytes. Being outside of the US of A.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
Nothing, until Apple allows a way to use gift certificates and/or an account you can 'charge up' by mail/money orders, I have a thing with credit cards, it's a mutual hatred.

I dont like credit cards either, thats why I use a debit master card. it works like a credit card, but acts like a check or atm card!(insert jingle here) so when you wanna buy some clothes, music, or porn! you dont need to have cash on hand
post #19 of 38
i've only bought 2-3 songs. The limiting factor is that you can't stream AAC over a home network (to either TiVo or SLIMP3)
post #20 of 38
Absolutely nothing.

BTW, debit cards are nice when you want to have the accessibility of a credit card, without any security or fraud protection whatsoever. Yay!
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by snazlord
i've only bought 2-3 songs. The limiting factor is that you can't stream AAC over a home network (to either TiVo or SLIMP3)

You can convert the files to MP3, y'know. Burn it to a CD, and then import the songs back to iTunes as MP3's.
post #22 of 38
Don't some Audio CD's now prevent you from ripping the tracks? Or is this bull?
post #23 of 38
116 songs, 411.6MB
--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
Reply
--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
Reply
post #24 of 38
About 15 songs.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Lau
Don't some Audio CD's now prevent you from ripping the tracks? Or is this bull?

Yes, there are some copy-protected CDs, many more of them in Europe than the US. Macs can sometimes rip from them anyway, but sometimes they can "jam" your Mac's CD drive. I believe they're usually labelled as copy protected somewhere in conspicuous on the package, and I don't think those CDs are allowed to carry the Compact Disc (Audio) logo.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt FT
Nothing, I'm in the UK

ditto
------
Yet i'm nothing more than a line in your book
Reply
------
Yet i'm nothing more than a line in your book
Reply
post #27 of 38
37 songs, 2.7 hours, 158.5 MB
post #28 of 38
The restrictions just got in my way. I recently had to reformat my drive, and I was unable to deauthorize my computer first, so now I have one computer that is authorized, and one nonexistent computer that is also authorized.

post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
The restrictions just got in my way. I recently had to reformat my drive, and I was unable to deauthorize my computer first, so now I have one computer that is authorized, and one nonexistent computer that is also authorized.

Have you contacted Apple customer support about this issue?

This problem you're talking about here is one of the first things I was concerned about with Apple's DRM. I'd be curious if Apple provides anyway to deauthorize a computer that goes belly-up before you can deauthorize that computer the normal way -- or if it's just "tough luck".

Even without your computer dying, I can see forgetting to deauthorize your computer being an easy mistake to make when you're buying a new computer and passing your old one on to someone else.

At least Apple's DRM is still much more flexible and generous than "buy"music.com's one primary/one-very-restricted secondary computer system. With Apple's DRM, you'd have have three authorization mishaps before losing all access to your music. With buymusic.com, as far as I can tell full access is non-transferably anchored to one computer forever. (I could be wrong, but their license agreement doesn't show any hint of anything like deauthorization being possible.)

I've been burning all of my iTunes purchases to standard audio CDs (holding off on the singles until I reach a full CD's worth). I can re-rip from these CDs at any time to have DRM-free music. The trade-off with this approach is that you either have to keep BIG AIFF files in iTunes or on your iPod if you want to keep the original sound quality, or re-rip the music in compressed form, losing some sound quality by passing the music through a second generation of compression (an effect that can be reduced by re-ripping to a higher bit rate, like 192K, than the original iTMS 128K).
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #30 of 38
I bought four songs within the first week, and none after that. They don't have The White Stripes OR the Red Hot Chili Peppers, so I went and bought Elephant by The White Stripes today at B&N.

I'm kinda pissed because not only is there nothing I like, but also, my purchased music won't transfer to my iPod for some reason. It's authorized and everything... I have no idea why it won't work.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Have you contacted Apple customer support about this issue?

This problem you're talking about here is one of the first things I was concerned about with Apple's DRM. I'd be curious if Apple provides anyway to deauthorize a computer that goes belly-up before you can deauthorize that computer the normal way -- or if it's just "tough luck".

Even without your computer dying, I can see forgetting to deauthorize your computer being an easy mistake to make when you're buying a new computer and passing your old one on to someone else.

At least Apple's DRM is still much more flexible and generous than "buy"music.com's one primary/one-very-restricted secondary computer system. With Apple's DRM, you'd have have three authorization mishaps before losing all access to your music. With buymusic.com, as far as I can tell full access is non-transferably anchored to one computer forever. (I could be wrong, but their license agreement doesn't show any hint of anything like deauthorization being possible.)

I've been burning all of my iTunes purchases to standard audio CDs (holding off on the singles until I reach a full CD's worth). I can re-rip from these CDs at any time to have DRM-free music. The trade-off with this approach is that you either have to keep BIG AIFF files in iTunes or on your iPod if you want to keep the original sound quality, or re-rip the music in compressed form, losing some sound quality by passing the music through a second generation of compression (an effect that can be reduced by re-ripping to a higher bit rate, like 192K, than the original iTMS 128K).

I haven't called Apple yet, because I just realized this problem today. I also burn all my music to CD's, just in case. I'll call Apple later today.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
I haven't called Apple yet, because I just realized this problem today. I also burn all my music to CD's, just in case. I'll call Apple later today.

I contacted Apple's customer service for iTMS via an online form on their web site, and got a helpful response.

Interesting iTMS bug -- songs from the wrong album mixed in

The web form needed an invoice number, but I suppose if you pick any of your purchases at random (hopefully you've saved your e-mail invoices) I imagine that'll be good enough.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
I contacted Apple's customer service for iTMS via an online form on their web site, and got a helpful response.

Interesting iTMS bug -- songs from the wrong album mixed in

The web form needed an invoice number, but I suppose if you pick any of your purchases at random (hopefully you've saved your e-mail invoices) I imagine that'll be good enough.

Thanks.

I save any email I get that had something to do with payment(eBay, amazon.com, etc). I haven't recieved an invoice for a purchase I just made today though(Oleander - Unwind). Maybe it just takes a while.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by The General
I dont like credit cards either, thats why I use a debit master card. it works like a credit card, but acts like a check or atm card!(insert jingle here) so when you wanna buy some clothes, music, or porn! you dont need to have cash on hand

Amen
post #35 of 38
Ben Folds seems to like iTunes -

From his website:

"thanks to everyone who have been downloading the 'speed graphic' ep from i-tunes and other places. we're very excited because you've put the 5 songs from the ep into the top 6 of billboard/soundscan download chart. if you want to see the chart and how y'all kicked beyonce's ass out of the #1 spot, click HERE !"

'course, he did write "i-tunes", but let's not get picky.
post #36 of 38
I prefer used CDs myself... There's something to holding the actual album in your hands, and when you can get it for only 5 bucks, all the better
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Reply
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Reply
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
You can convert the files to MP3, y'know. Burn it to a CD, and then import the songs back to iTunes as MP3's.


That's true. But:

A) that's a pain the ass

and

B) that's recompressing already compressed music, thereby degrading the quality - hardly optimal for a home network, the main purpose of which is to play your music through a high fidelity stereo system.
post #38 of 38
I've downloaded 80 songs, 5:26:08 total time, 312.7 MB
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Reply
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › How Much've you Got from Apple Music?