or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tag Name : Why did you pick yours ?

Tag Name : Why did you pick yours ?

post #1 of 58
I picked " Aquafire "..for a couple of reasons.

Firstly..because it was a name given for whiskey..
Like " fire water " of old..

Secondly, keeping with the watery theme..it was my way of saying Apple's "Aqua" looks hot...( I even managed to get my old 68K machines to boot up looking like OS-X. Aqua. (you should see my friends eyes pop wide open )...

And last but not least, because these two elements are naturally powerful forces ( Water & Fire ) and have had a great impact on my life and the land I call home.

So, I am curious to know what led you to pick your name & what significance(s) big or small it might have had..or still does ?
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #2 of 58
Originally my name was Wrong Robot, but then one day I got bored and changed it to Wrong Robust, then I left the forums for a while and when I came back they were vB and you couldn't change your name anymore. So I guess I'm Wrong Robust now.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robust
Originally my name was Wrong Robot, but then one day I got bored and changed it to Wrong Robust, then I left the forums for a while and when I came back they were vB and you couldn't change your name anymore. So I guess I'm Wrong Robust now.

I was thinking of changing mine to just Aqua but that is only because I wish I'd typed a Capital letter into aquafire to make it Aquafire...

So if the Mod Gods can wave their magic wands to do that.. I would pleezed no end...

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #4 of 58
It's my name...
plus I believe the term is "handle" but I guess that doesn't apply in my case...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #5 of 58
I could not think of anything at the time that was deep and meaningful so I chose to go for humor instead.

I`m thinking about registering again as Silent Echos though.
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #6 of 58
Because it's my last name.

I've regretted that on a few occasions when I've felt like making comments that I'd only want to say anonymously.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #7 of 58
Name
post #8 of 58
Spart is my first name.
post #9 of 58
because I have two heads and I'm really, really cool. I'm from a planet near Betelgeuse which can be found near Orion's armpit. (light goes on! NOW you get it!)
"Countless mothers will light candles and celebrate the tyrant's capture - mothers in all the cities of Iraq, in all the villages of Iran, in all the streets and quarters of Kuwait, everywhere the...
"Countless mothers will light candles and celebrate the tyrant's capture - mothers in all the cities of Iraq, in all the villages of Iran, in all the streets and quarters of Kuwait, everywhere the...
post #10 of 58
we had a thread like this not too long ago. hear's me: i'm odd. i didn't want to blend in with the rest of the weirdos, and since i'm a proper noun: `the'. then, for flavor, i wanted to mispel part of it. sometimes i use the name wiffout a space. i find not enough people admit to themselves and others just how strange they are, so i thought i'd encourage it.
post #11 of 58
Well Wickes is my last name... I guess I am not the creative type... and I use \\/\\/ as W... Kinda simple.
post #12 of 58
*Meow* ==
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #13 of 58
douple post....havent had one of those in a while
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #14 of 58
Mine is pretty self explanatory...Tiger Woods is one of my idols and I love playing golf (although I dont like whats associated with it...because I do NOT represent that demographic AT ALL) ..also refers to the golf sim Tiger Woods 99 from EA Sports...still probably the best out of the Tiger series ...although Id like to try 2003 on my Mac. Cant remember whether I used the handle somewhere else, might have but then again I think this was the first message board I was really a part of. Toyed with makin it somethin more creative...and more me...but I gotta represent for my boy Eldrick.
post #15 of 58
There was already a thread with this topic...
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by GSpotter
There was already a thread.... with this topic...

Don't be such a spoil sport ..Gspotter...
That post is virtually ancient...

Gee..I can't imagine christmas would be much fun around your house..

"But mama..papa... we already got christmas cards last year...and the same old comments in them too..see every one..look what a smarty pants I am.."

Poo Poo..Relax, have a beer, kiss the fraulines for me...

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #17 of 58
I have a roller-skating cow moneybox on my desk.
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by RollerBovine
I have a roller-skating cow moneybox on my desk.

DiscoCow's mother....?

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #19 of 58
Let's see...it's my initials.

And since I was "FIRST", I didn't have all these cute, neat-o names to show me how to do it.

Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #20 of 58
Liquid R is a linguistic term. It is the tendency of those who are native speakers of and east Asian language to let the R sound go soft, forming an L sound. "It's FRIED RICE, you pLick!" Hence the Liquid R, I love it cuz my name begins with an R and I'm Asian.
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by aquafire
Don't be such a spoil sport ..Gspotter...
...Poo Poo..Relax, have a beer, kiss the fraulines for me...

OK. I admit, I was to lazy to write the stuff again. We have a very hot summer here (~100° F) at the moment and as these temperatures were rather unusual here, we do not have air conditioning... The beer is a good idea but I just kissed my wife, so kissing some fräuleins is not recommended 8)
post #22 of 58
Good now I can copy and paste..

Well my name... obvious enough... I'm a man and I majored in music playing trumpet.

The most annoying thing about my handle is that people ask "Do you really play trumpet?"

I mean I could understand if it were some supercool ability, superpower, or even personality trait that we all wish for... something like Ninja, Hyponotic boy, or something like that...

but desperately longing...to play trumpet? Please...

So to answer... yes I do.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire

I was thinking of changing mine to just Aqua but that is only because I wish I'd typed a Capital letter into aquafire to make it Aquafire...

So if the Mod Gods can wave their magic wands to do that.. I would pleezed no end...

post #24 of 58
What a difference a cap makes! He almost looks legit now.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #25 of 58
originally posted by trumptman
Quote:
I mean I could understand if it were some supercool ability, superpower, or even personality trait that we all wish for... something like Ninja, Hyponotic boy, or something like that...

but desperately longing...to play trumpet? Please...

So to answer... yes I do.

Damn, I was sure that being able to play a musical instrument was sign of being a super-spy or assassin!

post #26 of 58
um....you don't really want to sit with me
when im in a driving mood ....aka faaaassst

post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Well my name... obvious enough... I'm a man and I majored in music playing trumpet.

But where is the "e"???? Why forget such a crucial letter?

"CosmoNut" is what I thought of after "Cosmo" was already taken ("Cosmo" is a cool name and representative of several things that I like). I said, "Hmm, I'm kind of a nut. How about CosmoNut?" It worked and that's what I am.

It really has nothing to do with Russian space explorers or any crazy obsession with things out of this world. It's just "Cosmo" with a "Nut" on the end.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #28 of 58
Well lets see. I chose my name from the codename of my first mac: Performa 636 CD; plus the fact that I used to endlessly Crusade for my computing platform of choice. My AIM name is even Showbiz630, one of the othercode names.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidR
originally posted by trumptman

Damn, I was sure that being able to play a musical instrument was sign of being a super-spy or assassin!

No however it is a sign of having an incredibly long and thick schlong.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonut But where is the "e"???? Why forget such a crucial letter?

I think I had applied here previously and had just forgotten my password. Likewise whenever I ran into other places that for one reason or another didn't have a trumpetman available, dropping the "e" always got me in.

Nick

post #30 of 58
on NewsRradio the character of lisa miller (maura tierney) was despondent that her career was not on the accelerated path of her brothers, her boss/boyfriend dave nelson (dave foley) asks what her brother's did. one she said invented "some video game....superkaratemonkeydeathcar, or something like that"
to which dave nelson (who used a powerbook 165) says, "oh wow i love superkaratemonkeydeathcar!"

it was later used in another episode where station owner jimmy james (stephen root) character's failed autobiography was translated into japanese then back to english with hilarious results.
post #31 of 58
My name is "Stewart" and I didn't have to use my BatStoo alias at AI.
Stoo
Stoo
post #32 of 58
I left off the "e" too
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by OSXaddict
I left off the "e" too

Very funny. Do you listen to Korn's A.D.I.D.I.S. a lot?

I wasn't allowed to post as os10geek anymore, so my that my post content is os10geek's, but my name isn't. But then I made my name the opposite of that, just to confuse people.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by GSpotter
OK. I admit, I was to lazy to write the stuff again. We have a very hot summer here (~100° F) at the moment and as these temperatures were rather unusual here, we do not have air conditioning... The beer is a good idea but I just kissed my wife, so kissing some fräuleins is not recommended 8)

How I miss the hot weather...Here it was snowing and blowing a gale...yep..Australia..its not meant to snow..just sunny..every day..( that's what the tourist board tries to tell the world... bloody liars.....

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #35 of 58
Because "Squirrelly Old Fukc" was already taken?
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
Because "Squirrelly Old Fukc" was already taken?

Darn tootin!
moogs
moogs
post #37 of 58
Because '709' was as close to '970' as I was comfortable with without blowing my NDAs and Top-Secret Apple Mole status.
post #38 of 58
My 'handle' is after a RPG (called rogue of course) I played on Unix in the late 80's. My friends and I spent hours on Saturdays in the computer lab competing to see who could make it the furthest. I was the best (or luckiest) player and played the game to completion in three character classes, which is not easy to do.

My current desire is to rewrite the game as a Java application in my continuing efforts to learn the language. I'm half done, but it has taken a couple of years because I have very little free time.
'But God really exists' said the old man, and my faith was restored for I knew that Santa Claus would never lie.
'But God really exists' said the old man, and my faith was restored for I knew that Santa Claus would never lie.
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrelly Old Fukc
Darn tootin!

It's hard not to love this forum sometimes....
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Very funny. Do you listen to Korn's A.D.I.D.I.S. a lot?

Actually...nope. I don't own that song.

In case you missed it..I was joking. OS X Addict...addicted to OS X.

I have had a few names here. I am just too lazy to get a new, simpler one. If I could, I would change it to JohnR. Perhaps someone (a mod perhaps? ) could change it for me? thanks!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tag Name : Why did you pick yours ?