or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 23" LCD's with Dead Pixels

23" LCD's with Dead Pixels

post #1 of 38
How many here have a 23" LCD with Pixel problems? I'm getting worried I sold mine off to buy 2 new ones with my G5. I'm worried they will be all jacked up. Last one I owned had zero flaws.

What has been they case for others?
post #2 of 38
Whats with the dead pixel stuff on the net in recent days?
post #3 of 38
I was talking to the Apple guy at CompUSA last week about this.
He says that they see the fewest pixel problems on the 17" and 23" displays. Most of the complaints for dead/stuck pixels are with the 20".
Which makes me worry, because I have one on order!!
post #4 of 38
With CRT's on the way out I'm sure we will start seeing fewer dead pixels out of the box. I hope the two 23" LCDs I get are not jacked up...
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Elderloc
With CRT's on the way out I'm sure we will start seeing fewer dead pixels out of the box. I hope the two 23" LCDs I get are not jacked up...

Maybe these displays should be offered in two versions: one at a premium price with guaranteed zero dead pixels, one at a regular price with the ussual number of dead pixels. Would you pay extra for guaranteed zero dead pixels?
post #6 of 38
I hope when my powerbook gets delivered the post man didn't kick it a few times before setting it at my door.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #7 of 38
I was worried about dead pixels when I bought my 23", but to be honest now that it's on my desk I'm not sure if it has any or not!

The pixel density is so high on the 23", that I don't think a dead/stuck pixel would stand out that much. I think you'd really have to look for them!

The screen gets covered in specks/dust within a couple of days anyway, and they all end up looking like dead pixels anyway...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #8 of 38
I bought a 23" refurb and it had no dead pixels.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride! Damnedest thing I ever saw."
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride! Damnedest thing I ever saw."
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Tidris
Maybe these displays should be offered in two versions: one at a premium price with guaranteed zero dead pixels, one at a regular price with the ussual number of dead pixels. Would you pay extra for guaranteed zero dead pixels?

Or how about, for a company such as Apple, that charges 1.5x the price for the same LCDs, NO DEAD PIXELS on any!!!
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox Hero
Or how about, for a company such as Apple, that charges 1.5x the price for the same LCDs, NO DEAD PIXELS on any!!!

I challenge you to find a 23" 1920x1200 LCD from another manufacturer that is less expensive than Apple's.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by flyhigher
I challenge you to find a 23" 1920x1200 LCD from another manufacturer that is less expensive than Apple's.

The other one is from SONY. It's sold for 2600 US but it has dual input support.....while the Apple doesn't
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by flyhigher

I was referring to the 17" model... You're absolutely right about the 23".

Our moderators think that I deserve to be called a troll because I forgot to specify the 17" monitor when I said that Apples monitors are 1.5 times the price of the competetive monitors.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
I was referring to the 17" model... But lets see.... First place I look is:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...tegory_id=5792

Planar 23" $1899 (1600x1200)
SCEPTRE 23" $1999 (1600x1200)
Sony 23" $2419

Apple 23" $1999

So you're absolutely right. I assumed the scaled approximately linearly with size. I'm not in the market for a monitor that costs twice the price of a decent complete system.

Well stop trolling threads that have '23" LCD' in the header!
post #14 of 38
Our moderators think that I deserve to be called a troll because I forgot to specify the 17" monitor when I said that Apples monitors are 1.5 times the price of the competetive monitors.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
BTW I find your screen name highly offensive.

haha...I bet he is equally offended by your name
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
haha...I bet he is equally offended by your name

I secretly think that you are all offensive.
King Felix
King Felix
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Stating an opinion when asked is hardly a troll. Plus, I agreed with him, so you obviously don't know what a troll is. I would guess you're the troll.

Were you asked to state your opinion as to wether you thought my screen name was offensive? Or are you trolling now?

I'm sorry you find my screen name offensive. Perhaps you should refer this matter to a Mod or Admin - if they ask me to change my screen name then I'll happily do so.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny
I secretly think that you are all offensive.

You can take a shower, pretty yourself up, put on cologne but you I guess you just can't hide a stinky personality
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Tidris

The thing is that the non-premium would be guaranteed some dead pixels, because all the good, no-dead pixel displays would be gone.
post #20 of 38
I have a 23" (ordered an hour after the price drop) and it has zero dead pixels
post #21 of 38
post #22 of 38
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
The thing is that the non-premium would be guaranteed some dead pixels, because all the good, no-dead pixel displays would be gone.

So you are saying enough people would be willing to pay a premium for the displays with no dead pixels. I don't see a problem with that.
post #24 of 38
Quote:

Most irrelevant statement ever, mr. Falwell. Striking to the extent that it has me laughing out loud. And more. To think that such people still exist! And that is not enough, they insist on making this earth a stinking putrid dwelling for too many on a daily basis.

JUKEBOX HERO

Probably irrelevant as well, but in keeping with this thread's subtext.

I don't believe, to get back on track, that you will find many dead pixels on a screen that is touted as a professional, high-quality screen (as opposed to the 20 inchers, which are not excelling in pixel precision). And the dead-pixel policies are very strict, or so I have heard. Aren't two or three these days enough for an exchange?
post #25 of 38
When I bought my 20" from the Apple Store in Bellevue square, the manager said that one stuck/dead pixel was enough for an exchange (2 weeks ago)
post #26 of 38
I have a 23" HD bought when they were introduced. It has one pixel stuck red at the lower middle of the screen and I have to search for it to find it. A couple times I thought it might have gone away and I was sad until I found it. I've become attached to it. Geez, I think I lost it again.

ber
post #27 of 38
For those of you in the UK - the John Lewis Partnership have a policy where you can return an Apple screen if it has a single dead pixel.

The Selling Partner told me that whilst Apple expects the customer to put up with the odd dead pixel (a characteristic of the manufacturing process) John Lewis does not.

JLP appreciate that if you're spending £1700 on a display it had better be perfect.

I was very impressed with this level of service - in fact I buy all my Apple equipment from them because they are so 'professional'. It's probably safer to double check with your local branch that this is still their policy (I'm not sure if it's at the Department Manager's discretion).

JLP get my vote though!
post #28 of 38
post #29 of 38
My 23" has one pixel stuck on cyan in the middle-upper-right area. As long as I don't pick a wallpaper that accentuates it, I rarely see it.

I know there are those programs that can show you bad pixels on your screen, but I made a point of not looking, having paid so much for it, I just didn't want to know any earlier than I had to. I also bought it right before the price drop, which didn't make it any better! As it was, I got probably two months of joy out of it before I found the pixel.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Sorry to ruin your hedonism, der Kopf. I find greed and selfishness to be the cause of this stinking putrid dwelling.

Between that and religious, "moral" fanaticism, it's a definite toss-up.

Quote:
Just because you choose to be an immoral prick doesn't mean everybody has to.

"Immoral prick" because I see no wrong in choosing "Messiah" as a handle? See what I mean when I say religious fanatics stink this place up. \
post #31 of 38
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Agreed.

This discussion doesn't fit in current hardware. I've PM'd you instead.
post #33 of 38

Sorry to the folks I've interrupeted. Especially Elderloc. Hope you find an answer.
post #34 of 38
enough with the stupid flame war. take it outside, or to PM's, where it seems to have gone. you might want to consider editing your posts so you look a little less like a bunch of squabbling kids.
post #35 of 38
Whoops, beaten to the punch.

I am not deleting any posts, as requested by one person here, but please stop the little flamewar here. Thanks.
post #36 of 38
Just so I'm clear on this one...
...why do our moderators think Jukebox Zero is a troll?

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #37 of 38
i'm sorry, did i say troll?

post #38 of 38
You beat me to the punch. I was going to call you a cry baby.

Thats fine. I'm a troll because I'm realistic about your precious Apple. I like Apple too, but I'm not going to pretend its perfect.

As soon as someone thinks outside your little box, you have to knock them down. Some admin you are.

Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
i'm sorry, did i say troll?

I'll be the rebel. Thats cool.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 23" LCD's with Dead Pixels