or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

Does your local mac dealer have a G5? - Page 4

Poll Results: Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

• 13% (12)
    Yes- local dealer an Apple Store
  • 10% (9)
    Yes- local dealer a CompUSA or other
  • 31% (27)
    No- local dealer an Apple Store
  • 25% (22)
    No- local dealer a CompUSA or other
  • 19% (17)
    Don't Have a Local Dealer
87 Total Votes  
post #121 of 154
Quote:
Holy jerkface Palo Alto employee chastised me for downloading and running PSBench and XBench on the G5. Then he wouldn't let me upload the results to my computer.

Did you ask permission?
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #122 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Did you ask permission?

I used to, but I frequent the place so often, most of them practically know me. The thing is, with an unrestricted administrator account and broadband, they should expect people to download apps and run them.
I can change my sig again!
post #123 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
I used to, but I frequent the place so often, most of them practically know me. The thing is, with an unrestricted administrator account and broadband, they should expect people to download apps and run them.

Absolutly. Moreover, they erase and restore the HD every night after closing so whatever anybody does each day has no long term negative impact on the computer. They are being over controlling.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #124 of 154
Lol, I couldn't believe it. I walked into our local CompUSA and there it was. A brand spanking new G5. Score!
post #125 of 154
The Applestore in Ala Moana has one 1.8 GHz in. I walked in today and it was just sitting there all alone. Dang it's big...
post #126 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Zousan
The Applestore in Ala Moana has one 1.8 GHz in. I walked in today and it was just sitting there all alone. Dang it's big...

And Bad. Where is Ala Moana? Hawaii?

post #127 of 154
I don't know. I just got back from the Palo Alto store. They let me borrow a firewire cable so that I could attach my firelite drive to the thing. I thought I would check out how fast it would do searches and stuff in iPhoto (with some informal benchmarking it seems to take about 1/4 the time my PBG4 500 takes; okay but not terribly impressive).

Anyway, I am surprised they gave you a hard time because they certainly didn't seem to care what I was doing. Some other guy was trying to open it up and a sales woman came over and helped him. I didn't get the impression they were being uptight at all.
post #128 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
Anyway, I am surprised they gave you a hard time because they certainly didn't seem to care what I was doing. Some other guy was trying to open it up and a sales woman came over and helped him. I didn't get the impression they were being uptight at all.

There's an older looking short brown-haired saleswoman that was really giddy over the G5. She didn't mind. The sales dude who forced me to quit PSBench had short blond hair. I'd bet he's the ONLY one in the store who disapproved.
post #129 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Multimedia
And Bad. Where is Ala Moana? Hawaii?

It's a large mall in Honolulu.

-- Mark
Mark R. Wilkins
Author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
Mark R. Wilkins
Author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
post #130 of 154
It's the first day of classes at San Francisco State University. I walked into the bookstore, not expecting to see anything. I spotted three G5 boxes in the pile of newly received stuff. One was marked "Display" but no one seemed very eager to set it up. I think they were all 1.6 GHz models, but if anything is different, I'll report back.
post #131 of 154
Quote:
Build quality is off the charts. A small group of PC guys was drooling over it.

I'm waiting for a rev. B myself, but I'm very impressed in person. It's gorgeous.

Good to see the PC guys drooling. Heh. I can't wait to see the build quality myself. Everybody is raving about that.

Rev B?

Be still my beating heart...

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #132 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
Good to see the PC guys drooling. Heh. I can't wait to see the build quality myself. Everybody is raving about that.

Rev B?

Be still my beating heart...

Lemon Bon Bon

If I have to read another poster writing about waiting for "Rev B" I am going to PUKE. This is not your average Rev A computer. This is the beginning of a revolution - not only for G5 owners, but also for all the poor folks that will be able to afford strong MDD and FW800 G4 PowerMacs as their resale value drops to below $999 next year.

I for one want to be a part of the G5 Rev A to vote with my pocketbook that Steve Jobs and the Apple Engineering Team are all Gods worthy of trusting and not waiting for the next version. This will be a collector's edition for years to come and I for one will keep my Rev A dual 2 G5 for the rest of my life for that reason alone. You have to see one of these beauties in person to understand what I am writing about.

post #133 of 154
I was going to wait, but then I realized that Apple had spent more than two years designing this thing, and that the design probably been refined a thousand times already. So I'll buy one when they're for sale.
post #134 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Build quality is off the charts. A small group of PC guys was drooling over it.

Good. I was afraid it would feel like cheap sheet metal, just waiting to be dented. I'm relieved.
post #135 of 154
1.6 and 1.8 GHz machines both on display at 3rd St. Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA. Just don't touch them, or the security guard will rip your head off. Seriously. I was there for 10 minutes and he walked over 4 times to tell people not to touch them.

I officially hate the keyboard and mouse. USB on the back? Stupid. And white?? Not sure I like that either. Guess I'm too used to my black keyboard/mouse.

Tough to tell in the store, but definitely quieter than my Dual 533 at home. The opening of the CD-tray seeme excessively noisy.

Also, funny how much bigger the tower looks with the side panel ON versus having it off.

One guy next to me opend a couple of windows, launched photoshop and opened an image, closed it and said, "Wow, I expected it to be a lot faster than this...." Guh.

---------------
RosettaStoned
post #136 of 154
Demo on display at CompUSA in Sunrise Florida. Apple guy wasn't in but a red shirt reponded to a question from a customer, "How much?" He replied, "Apple hasn't made a price decision... you know the way they are". I said, "what?" Told the customer to go to the Apple Store in Boca Raton if you're interested. Told the redshirt, "Apple has prices posted on its website." He made a face and walked away. Customer thanked me and said he'd check when he got home. And the beat goes on.
post #137 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by RosettaStoned
1.6 and 1.8 GHz machines both on display at 3rd St. Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA. Just don't touch them, or the security guard will rip your head off. Seriously. I was there for 10 minutes and he walked over 4 times to tell people not to touch them.

I officially hate the keyboard and mouse. USB on the back? Stupid. And white?? Not sure I like that either. Guess I'm too used to my black keyboard/mouse.

Tough to tell in the store, but definitely quieter than my Dual 533 at home. The opening of the CD-tray seeme excessively noisy.

Also, funny how much bigger the tower looks with the side panel ON versus having it off.

One guy next to me opend a couple of windows, launched photoshop and opened an image, closed it and said, "Wow, I expected it to be a lot faster than this...." Guh.

---------------
RosettaStoned

That is insane. At the Santa Clara Apple Store they ENCOURAGED US TO TOUCH IT. We took the door off the side, removed the plastic air flow cover and poked around inside all we wanted. Tell the manager that other Apple Stores are letting the customers look inside and touch it all they want. Creeps.

As for the speed, yes the 1.6 and 1.8 are Posers Wannabees not the real deals. The dual 2 is really the only one to consider getting. It is so much more for so little more money.

post #138 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Demo on display at CompUSA in Sunrise Florida. Apple guy wasn't in but a red shirt reponded to a question from a customer, "How much?" He replied, "Apple hasn't made a price decision... you know the way they are". I said, "what?" Told the customer to go to the Apple Store in Boca Raton if you're interested. Told the redshirt, "Apple has prices posted on its website." He made a face and walked away. Customer thanked me and said he'd check when he got home. And the beat goes on.

IDIOTS! Can you say $2000, $2400 and $3000?

post #139 of 154
The CompUSA in Knoxville,TN has a 1.6 on display.
post #140 of 154
Our local Comp USA has a 1.6Ghz, but it's a demo model, and not for sale.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #141 of 154
Quote:
As for the speed, yes the 1.6 and 1.8 are Posers Wannabees not the real deals. The dual 2 is really the only one to consider getting. It is so much more for so little more money.

That's bullshit, in my all-mighty opinion. You're paying $600 for another processor, I slightly better GPU, and....what? RAM's the same, HDs the same...and both have the same number of slots and ports. I think that the 1.8 is the deal.

You're calling people tht don't buy the most expensive model posers and wannabees? Grow up.

Apologies in advance.
post #142 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
That's bullshit, in my all-mighty opinion. You're paying $600 for another processor, I slightly better GPU, and....what? RAM's the same, HDs the same...and both have the same number of slots and ports. I think that the 1.8 is the deal.

You're calling people tht don't buy the most expensive model posers and wannabees? Grow up.

Apologies in advance.

Thank you. I think the dual 2 G5 is way worth the extra money. I could be wrong. But I'm not.

As for calling people names, I was not at all. I was calling the single processor G5's names. 1.6 is Poser while 1.8 is Wannabee.

post #143 of 154
Apple store Bellevue Square has one in the window, a 1.6 demo machine, and a 1.8 demo machine.

I want one of those giant G5 posters for my room.
post #144 of 154
Quote:
I could be wrong. But I'm not.

Blind self-assurance. Brilliant.
post #145 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Blind self-assurance. Brilliant.

I can't help but notice you are in a state of denial.

post #146 of 154
Multimedia, posers and wannabes may be a little strong, but overall you have a point.

Anyone truly needing a G5 is doing professional work. Of course I mean the real definition of professional: you charge clients money for what comes out of your Mac.

If this is you, then spending 50% more to get a 100% increase in performace is an absolute no brainer.

This doesn't mean that hobbyests shouldn't buy 1.6 and 1.8 G5s if they want, it just means they're hobbyests.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #147 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Multimedia, posers and wannabes may be a little strong, but overall you have a point.

Anyone truly needing a G5 is doing professional work. Of course I mean the real definition of professional: you charge clients money for what comes out of your Mac.

If this is you, then spending 50% more to get a 100% increase in performace is an absolute no brainer.

This doesn't mean that hobbyests shouldn't buy 1.6 and 1.8 G5s if they want, it just means they're hobbyests.

Of course I'm just joshing, but your Pulver math is a lot different than mine. The $600 difference between a single 1.8 with a .9 bus is a LOT less than 50% more money for more than 244% more power. A Combo 1.8 is $2200 while a Combo dual 2 is $2800. That's 27% more money for about 244% more power than a single 1.8. Twice more powerful processors with a bus that's more than 10% faster on each. I am afraid that Apple got the pricing way wrong this time around. 1.6 and 1.8 G5's are cash cows. The dual 2 is by far the better deal and will last many Mac users the rest of their lives.

post #148 of 154
Quote:
Of course I'm just joshing, but your Pulver math is a lot different than mine. The $600 difference between a single 1.8 with a .9 bus is a LOT less than 50% more money for more than 244% more power...The dual 2 is by far the better deal and will last many Mac users the rest of their lives.

I was using nice round numbers of 50 and 100% to be conservative and make the argument more compelling.

Bottom line - the dual 2.0 is a tremendously better value for the money than either of the other two models. God knows I haven't let any of my clients buy a 1.6 or 1.8. I had a client with a 2K budget looking at a 1.6, but I talked her into a disco dual 1.25 G4 for $1200.

post #149 of 154
checked out the 1.6......looked great but I have to admit that I was disappointed in the perceived performance.....my gig tibook seems to be snappier on everything.

I am assuming that this will change with panther but I was REALLY looking forward to some balls to the wall performance!
post #150 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by gregincolumbus
checked out the 1.6......looked great but I have to admit that I was disappointed in the perceived performance.....my gig tibook seems to be snappier on everything.

I am assuming that this will change with panther but I was REALLY looking forward to some balls to the wall performance!

This kind of impression is why I believe Apple made a strategic mistake not to make all three G5's duals. That's why I call 1.6 Poser and 1.8 Wannabee. You will not be disappointed with the dual 2. Moreover, with Panther all three will exhibit substantially faster performance.

The beauty of the G5 line is that it is a computer that will get faster over the years rather than lag behind it's younger siblings.

How? G5 optimized OS X and G5 optimized application software. Beauty.

post #151 of 154
I played with a 1.6gig G5 this morning in a New Jersey Apple Store.
It was sitting right next to a dual 1.25 G4, a sales associate took the time to show me some pretty cool comparisons in Photoshop between the G5 and the dual G4.

For one of the renderings (forgot exactly what it was) he set up both machines and on the count of three we pressed return on both keyboards.

The 1.6 G5 was at least 10 seconds faster than the dual 1.25 G4 in completing the rendering.

He also removed the side panel of the display G5 and showed me the interior, the latch is cool the way you could add a lock if you want for security.

I looked into the grill and the fan was spinning at a very slow rate, the G5 seemed very quiet.

I was there at 10 when they opened so I had some time by myself to play with it.
post #152 of 154
Quote:
He also removed the side panel of the display G5 and showed me the interior, the latch is cool the way you could add a lock if you want for security

Everyone keeps mentioning this as if it's some sort of amazing feat. I don't get it. The old G4s had a locking mechanism for the swing-down door too...
post #153 of 154
Yes I know, it's not that the G5 has a locking mechanism, it's the way it's designed.

Not a big deal but just shows the attention to detail Apple put into the G5 case.
post #154 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by coolmac
Yes I know, it's not that the G5 has a locking mechanism, it's the way it's designed.

*Shrug* It looks like the door handle/lever to the breaker panel in my garage. Now if it popped straight out like a T-handle while making a hissing noise as if air was escaping, that would be cool.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Does your local mac dealer have a G5?