or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

Does your local mac dealer have a G5? - Page 3

Poll Results: Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

• 13% (12)
    Yes- local dealer an Apple Store
  • 10% (9)
    Yes- local dealer a CompUSA or other
  • 31% (27)
    No- local dealer an Apple Store
  • 25% (22)
    No- local dealer a CompUSA or other
  • 19% (17)
    Don't Have a Local Dealer
87 Total Votes  
post #81 of 154
Oh, it will happen.
post #82 of 154
Oh my god, the sky is falling!

1:45pm CST:

Called the Apple store at the Houston Galleria. They are setting up a G5 for display.

Guess I will be making a stop on the way home.

I feel a bit better now.
post #83 of 154
There's nothing in that Think Secret memo to suggest that they're delaying the orders of people with promised ship dates -- it was a memo explaining to resellers why they had nothing to sell.

For the record, as of yesterday afternoon, Apple sales support reps are still swearing that they're in great shape to meet their deadlines. The guy I spoke to even pointed out that when they had the 17" powerbook problems anyone whose order was delayed were notified two weeks in advance.

Anyway, the party line is consistent that Apple Store orders have relatively high priority, and the way they've doled out their estimated ship dates it's obvious they are counting how many they have to ship out which weeks.

-- Mark
Mark R. Wilkins
Author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
Mark R. Wilkins
Author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
post #84 of 154
We have confirmed sightings in Columbus Ohio and Schaumburg Illinois. These sightings have been comfirmed by phone as authentic.

Apple Store
4070 The Strand East
Columbus OH 43219

Has a 1.6 G5 out for your use.

Apple Store
K303 Woodfield Mall
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Has a 1.8 G5 out for your use.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #85 of 154
The CompUSA in Independence, Missouri (a suburb of Kansas City) has ONE 1.6Ghz G5 on display. It's a beauty. Me likey the G5.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #86 of 154
What about sellable stock in these stores? Do they just have one display model, or can you actually buy one?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #87 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
What about sellable stock in these stores? Do they just have one display model, or can you actually buy one?

Columbus has some to sell but they are all being sold from a waiting list. Schaumberg IL has only the 1.8 G5 demo and none to sell.

post #88 of 154
Quote:
What about sellable stock in these stores?

The CompUSA I mentioned doesn't even have a price tag for it. It's just sitting there hooked up to a 23" Cinema and has a thing of brochures talking about it. I didn't bother to ask what their procedure would be if I wanted to buy one...

...which I DO. I just...you know -- the money thing is a factor.
post #89 of 154
Quote:

The guy at the store said that they'd be getting more than just a display model, but not many more. "Limited quanitities (TM)"

Apple said that education orders will be filled first- does this mean education individuals, too?
post #90 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
The guy at the store said that they'd be getting more than just a display model, but not many more. "Limited quanitities (TM)"

Apple said that education orders will be filled first- does this mean education individuals, too?

The guy at WHAT STORE IN WHAT CITY please.

post #91 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by Multimedia
The guy at WHAT STORE IN WHAT CITY please.

No kidding. Why do people have to be so cryptic with crucial info?

post #92 of 154
The Company Store (at One Infinite Loop) still does not have one. I am sort of surprised.
post #93 of 154
The Novi, MI (Twelve Oaks Mall) store has a 1.6 on display. Nothing for sale though and they did not expect any inventory for a while.
post #94 of 154
Apple Store in Northridge, California has one on Display in the Window. Nothing to demo yet
post #95 of 154
Same with the Walt Whitman NY Apple Store.
post #96 of 154
The Troy Mi store has one in stock I beleive it was a 1.8 and they also had one in the window.
post #97 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
The Company Store (at One Infinite Loop) still does not have one. I am sort of surprised.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #98 of 154
Apple Store, Oakbrook, Illinois has a working 1.6 which they only are using for the rotating display and a 1.8 for demo.

I ran some benchmarks and testing. Quartz responsiveness was impressive. I clicked everything that was preloaded in sequence and it took about 45 seconds to load everything (including FCE and DVDSP2). Made me very happy!

I did some Photoshop7 with plugin testing and everything I tried was near instantaneous on a 10 MB file.

Gaston .95 came in at .30 FPS and 3.3 sec render time....

138 was the total score for XBench .20

Chris
post #99 of 154
Stopped by the Tysons Corner store in Virginia and they have a 1.6 out as demo. The place was pretty busy so I could not get on the machine or ask if they had any in stock. Several people launched everything and it was pretty quick. Has anyone come out with a under desk mount for this unit yet?

reg
post #100 of 154
you know, this may be a stupid point, but since everyone and their mother is "launching every application and counting the bounces" to evaluate system speed when a g5 shows up somewhere, could it be possible that some of these informal in-store tests are just a result of the last consumer test still being at least partially stored in the system cache?

post #101 of 154
Most people, myself included, are there there to see and feel the machine. I am hoping my order (wife's dual) will arrive Friday. Could I have just waited till Friday to see it......NO!

reg
post #102 of 154
Millenia Mall Apple Store in Orlando Florida has a 1.6 GHZ demo unit on the floor according to the sales drone I just spoke with.
post #103 of 154
I just went to the CompUSA here in Santa Barbara, CA and they just got their G5 Demo Yesterday.
post #104 of 154
Apple Store in Boca Raton Fl. has one to play with. Impressive.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #105 of 154
I have never seen a PowerMac G5
post #106 of 154
The Salem, NH Apple Store claims to have a demo G5 now, so I'll probably stop by tonight to take a look at it.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #107 of 154
16 boxes of the 1.6 G5's are standing in the University of California San Francisco Computer shop. None on display to play with : (
post #108 of 154
Quote:
Originally posted by duncantang
I have never seen a PowerMac G5

Careful. You will fall in love at first sight and touch. I had my first encounter in Santa Clara CA last night. You will never go back. It is positively mind altering.

post #109 of 154
The Las Vegas Apple store now has a G5 on display. It is a 1.8 gig model I was told.
post #110 of 154
WAAAHOOOO! Just went to my CompUSA- they now have a 1.6GHz G5 w/ 20"!

All I have to say is this thing is huge! Yeah- its big, but nice to look at.

I checked out some of the specs in the system profiler and it says it has a sony superdrive- which I would assume would be the one that does all formats of DVD-R or DVD+R.

They really didn't have anything on it though to play around with performance- anything seems really fast compaired to my 500MHz iBook.
post #111 of 154
Apple Store Southdale (suburban Minneapolis) has one G5 1.6 on the floor. I played with it this morning. The case is an impressive technical achievement.

Hard to tell how fast it is. I brought an audio CD, and ripped it into iTunes, 128k AAC. It ripped the first track at 11.5x, and the last track at 20x - it spent most of its time ripping at about 16x.

The G5 1.6 absolutely ate iMovie 3 alive. Instantaneous Ken Burns effect, very responsive. No indication of any hiccup or slowdown in any aspect of iMovie.

I haven't spent a lot of time with a dual 1.42 G4, but I wouldn't dispute those who claim that the single 1.6 G5 is as faster or faster than the dual G4.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
post #112 of 154
I went to Nottingham today and guess what? The UK is waiting again!

'G5 Coming Soon.' Yeah. I get that.

Sigh.

American penis envy have I.

Still, another couple of weeks and everything should be in place.

I can't wait to try out the dual 2 gigger on Photoshop!

Patience young lemon...your time will come...and then my pips will explode everywhere!!!

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #113 of 154
Apple Store in Chandler, AZ has a demo 1.8 G5 out on display.
(As of 8-26-2003)
post #114 of 154
Yargh, they just kicked me off the floor model to do some maintenance and I just got here (Palo Alto)! Meh.
I can change my sig again!
post #115 of 154
San Diego Apple Store has a 1.6GHz that you can get your grimey hands all over. Very nice machine, but a lot bigger (taller) and whiter that I thought it would be.
post #116 of 154
Apple store in Sacramento had one on the rotating display, but not one you could play with.
post #117 of 154
Apple store in SoHo has a 1.8 and a 1.6 on display to play with. I put up the scores on XBench and they came out surprisingly low... I wonder why. (Yes, i made sure nothing else was running)
post #118 of 154
Apple Store in Milwaukee WI has a 1.6 On display AND a few in stock!! They also have a 1.8 in the back that they will be putting on display in the next day or so. Pretty cool!!

Joe
post #119 of 154
Holy jerkface Palo Alto employee chastised me for downloading and running PSBench and XBench on the G5. Then he wouldn't let me upload the results to my computer.
post #120 of 154
Posting now from The Grove. One 1.8 on display, no stock of any models.

Some quick random observations:

iDVD 3 is almost silky smooth on this machine. Dragging in and free positioning QuickTime clips is very acceptable, an action that routinely brings my 1GHz TiBook to its knees.

The Serial ATA hard drive connectors are built into the mounting brackets! Just push the drive in and snap the little black tabs in position and you're done! I assumed the new thin S-ATA cables would be tethered in those little pinch holders like AirPort cables. Drives are rotated 90 degrees so the back of the drive faces you with the door open.

Build quality is off the charts. A small group of PC guys was drooling over it.

I'm waiting for a rev. B myself, but I'm very impressed in person. It's gorgeous.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Does your local mac dealer have a G5?