or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

post #1 of 284
The first 2 G5 1.6's arrived at my office today. Boy are these sweet. the shipping box is pretty cool, and upon opening, I found a newly designed keyboard, similar to the new emac keyboard. The G5 is awesome. It looks so much better in person. Opening the side to see the guts was amazing. It was so clean inside and neat. I can see apple took extra measures to make expansion, and exchanging hard drives, optical, ram, very easy, amazing. The new 3.2Ghz Dell's we have are a mess inside when one opens the case.

Firing it up , i noticed that the fans were rather quiet, but with the side panel off, they seemed to pick up speed. I kept it on my desk for the afternoon and had lots of coworkers stop in to take a peek.

Apple has a winner with this puppy.

Rich
post #2 of 284
There is a story, somewhere, that says the G5 will slow down and fans used more often if you don't keep the clear plastic inner thingee attached. It helps to cool the innards. I think it's ok to remove the alum. cover though.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #3 of 284
I was really impressed with the guts. Apple gives you an extra serial ata cable and serial ata power cable already plugged in to the board, you supply the hd. The fans for the cpu are plug and play, and just pull out to access the ram,. It's really clean inside, to bad apple didn't have a window or clear side panel. I didn't get a chance to test it much, just ran through the set up
post #4 of 284
richcigar,

I hate to ask this but does the OS have a "snappy" feel to it?

Do any apps run faster on it than a G4 (I'm assuming you've used a recent model G4.)
post #5 of 284
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #6 of 284
I didn't run to much on it. I currently have a dual 1.25 with 23" cinema display, so tomorrow, I'll do some fooling around. Any recomendations on what I should look for in comparing, any easy ways to compare?
post #7 of 284
Got a digital camera? I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of Mac fanatics out there dieing to see more than just PR shots from Apple. Lets see some pictures.

Congrats on the new machines.

Re comparison: Anything memory intensive. With the faster bus, these things should fly with regards to the old G4 towers.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #8 of 284
I am waiting on the same machine. It is going to replace a 450 Cube. How much faster is it? Tell us all you can!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
post #9 of 284
Can you report the OS build number from the "about this Mac" menu (click on Version 10.2.7 text) and the DVD product identification from the "devices and volumes" tab on the "more info..." window.
it was the world's fastest computer when I ordered it!
it was the world's fastest computer when I ordered it!
post #10 of 284
Yes please post pictures!! I can't believe someone would tease us like this! :-)

Cheers,
John
post #11 of 284
Quote:
Originally posted by richcigar
It's really clean inside, to bad apple didn't have a window or clear side panel.

You can safely remove the aluminum side panel, as long as you keep the clear plastic in place. So there is in fact an optional window.
post #12 of 284
Also, you say the keyboard was slightly different than the eMac one. How? And for the love of God, what color?!?!?!
post #13 of 284
When did you order yours? I ordered two 1.6 and one dualie within seconds of them going on sale. Yet no sign of them being shipped yet.
post #14 of 284
i think i would have probably stayed at work and played with it all night... but thats just me

wow thats awesome, your first 3 posts on ai, talking about that you got a G5! your off to a good start
post #15 of 284
Quote:
Originally posted by craig12co
Also, you say the keyboard was slightly different than the eMac one. How? And for the love of God, what color?!?!?!

If he's pullng this out of his ass, I WILL HUNT HIM DOWN AND DESTROY HIM. GOOD GOD, ELABORATE!
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
post #16 of 284
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
There is a story, somewhere, that says the G5 will slow down and fans used more often if you don't keep the clear plastic inner thingee attached. It helps to cool the innards. I think it's ok to remove the alum. cover though.

Well, there's this from Apple's support pages.
post #17 of 284
Quote:
Originally posted by craig12co

?? He said: similar to the new emac keyboard
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #18 of 284
I had thought the G5 would go into sleep mode whn the clear cover was removed?
post #19 of 284
Details! Some of us need detailed, obsessive, and perhaps explicit analysis before we explode!
post #20 of 284
Is a manual included? DVD or CD restore disks?
post #21 of 284
It's always fun to see the first thread of a long awaited new Apple product. The feeling is always the same. Did the person really receive shipment or are they justhavinfun?

There is no way I could have just ran it through the set up and let it sit on my desk all day for gawkers to appreciate.

Guess we will see....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #22 of 284
Quote:
The first 2 G5 1.6's arrived at my office today.

Was a coupon for a free copy of Panther inside the box?
post #23 of 284
What about the mouse? Was the standard Apple 1 button optical, or is there an new two-button/scroll wheel mouse for optimal performance?
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
post #24 of 284
i call bullshit.
post #25 of 284
I ain't bitin' either.

If he really had it sitting on his desk he would of known about the clear panel the controls the flow of air in the case.
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
post #26 of 284
Maybe he's having too much fun playing with the thing to care about proving that this thread is real.
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
post #27 of 284
I heard that the G5s boot in about 10-20 seconds. Can you comment? Have you timed it?

Where's the floppy drive? :0)
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #28 of 284
I'll get pics today. The PowerMac G5 disc has OS Version 10.2.7 (g5) AHT Version 2.1 DVD Version 1.0. The keyboard is different in the location of the usb ports, and if you look at the current keyboard, there are raised plastic around the groupings of keys, while on the new keyboard, it is as if the keys sit up higher off the keyboard. It is totally different, no brekas between the F keys above the letters.

The G5 does run with the cover off the side.
post #29 of 284
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

That transparent liner is an air deflector that helps channel the air into the '4 distinct thermal zones', and when removed, the system will sleep.
post #30 of 284
Currently on the G5, altivec came in at 3.4 3975. I just got a 1.5 8628 on my dual 1.25G4. I ran again and got 3.3 4055 on the g5. Its rather quiet, with my G4 making much more noise, not that much more, but you can hear the G4 under my desk, the G5 is a much quieter. I have the picture, how do I post it here?
post #31 of 284
I just opened the G5, took the pplastic out, and the fans really revved up, though it didn't sleep, as I'm still typing away.
post #32 of 284
help him post the picture people. quickly!!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #33 of 284
I had my in house publications person snap a photo of the inside, it's not the best, but it'll have to do for now. I can email it to someone who is willing to post for me
post #34 of 284
i can host it for you, email it to me chris@massoh.com
post #35 of 284
Quote:
Currently on the G5, altivec came in at 3.4 3975. I just got a 1.5 8628 on my dual 1.25G4. I ran again and got 3.3 4055 on the g5. Its rather quiet, with my G4 making much more noise, not that much more, but you can hear the G4 under my desk, the G5 is a much quieter. I have the picture, how do I post it here?

Hmm, how come the Altivec scores are so low? Is this because the fractals program isn't optimized for the G5 yet?
post #36 of 284
Quote:
I had my in house publications person snap a photo of the inside, it's not the best, but it'll have to do for now. I can email it to someone who is willing to post for me

Sure email it to me or AIM it to me and I'll post it on my webspace.

About the fan noise, it's quiet in relation to what other Apple? Weren't the Quicksilver and the mirrors(?) supposed to be the loudest? Or how is it relative to the Sawtooth?
post #37 of 284
After a quick check of these boards along with the MacNN and Mac Ach forums, I cannot find a single report of anyone even getting a tracking number on a G5 shipment.

How did this guy get two yesterday?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #38 of 284
I thought that with the plastic liner removed the processors slow down to minimize heat. When you made your altivec tests did you replace the plastic liner?
post #39 of 284
Quote:
How did this guy get two yesterday?

Perhaps he hijacked a delivery truck? It is strange that he seems to be the only person on the planet to have received a G5, let alone two.
post #40 of 284
well if the pictures arrive we can believe him!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today