or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

post #1 of 559
I just bought a 12 inch PowerBook a few weeks ago. I am not thrilled with it. Is the 15 inch PG coming out soon? Anyone want a 3 week old PB? LOL
post #2 of 559
You mean you couldn't have said this in the other thread.....please go there now...thanks.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #3 of 559
My guess is theyll be out within the week.
post #4 of 559
Actually, this thread may have some relevance.

Remember the TS report which stated that Apple had 'wrapped up development' of the new Powerbooks eariler this month? How can Apple go from finishing development on a product only to release it two weeks later?

Perhaps we won't see the new Powerbooks until much later; maybe as a possible Nov/Dec product release.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #5 of 559
You know, Nice DePlume has been spotted here at AI occassionally. If he is reading and has anything further on this subject, he may comment.
post #6 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggWSmith
I just bought a 12 inch PowerBook a few weeks ago. I am not thrilled with it. Is the 15 inch PG coming out soon? Anyone want a 3 week old PB? LOL

Yes. i'll give you $500.00 and an Apple sticker for your car.
post #7 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Actually, this thread may have some relevance.

Remember the TS report which stated that Apple had 'wrapped up development' of the new Powerbooks eariler this month? How can Apple go from finishing development on a product only to release it two weeks later?

Perhaps we won't see the new Powerbooks until much later; maybe as a possible Nov/Dec product release.

The arguement is logical but not quite true.
It is possible for the OEM manufacturer to have produced the hardware and only waiting on the installation of the OS system which can be finished and installed in just a few days.

In trying to capitalize on low cost manufacturing, many Taiwanese OEM manufacturers are assembling hardware in China and then installing the OS elsewhere- Taiwan, Singapore, or even the US. Hence it is possible that new hardware has been off the production line and just waiting for the "wrapping up" of the OS and installation before they can ship.
post #8 of 559
I believe that we will see them the first wek of September.
post #9 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by buckeye
Yes. i'll give you $500.00 and an Apple sticker for your car.

I can beat that! $550.00 and this uh, attractive coaster made to look like a CD! Gaze for hours at its reflective surface. You'll wonder how you ever went a minute without seeing the under-side of your drink!
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
post #10 of 559
Let's not all forget the wonderful Education rebate Apple has right now. Buy any powerbook, HP printer, and iPod, and get $300 back. It ends Spetember 27th. The reason I bring this up is because I fell into one of these "traps" when I got my TiBook over a year ago, and the next two weeks, the 800Mhz ones came. Who knows, just throwing out speculation.
post #11 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Dog Almighty
I can beat that! $550.00 and this uh, attractive coaster made to look like a CD! Gaze for hours at its reflective surface. You'll wonder how you ever went a minute without seeing the under-side of your drink!

I'll give him $200.00 and a granny smith (collector's edition).

...and a copy of Gigli. On beta.
post #12 of 559
I'm starting to think that the announcement will actually be next week. Apple has a thing about staggering their PR releases during the non-expo periods (such as, say, now) so as not to let something go unnoticed.

Think Secret did say something about "this week," but that may not have been in the August 18-22 timeframe; it may literally have meant within 7 days, which makes August 25th a possibility.

If the answer ends up being "none of the above," then it really might not be until Apple Expo Paris.
post #13 of 559
I think it just has to be this week. People are staring to think of school seriously, and all Apple dealers know an update is soon. Apple can only stand to lose by waiting.

I do understand, though, the "G5 Shipping" is important and they do not want to steal this thunder
post #14 of 559
But I do believe the most important thunder for Apple is the Back to School audience. Most schools start on Sept.2. They better have it in the distribution channel and have college campuses armed and ready to go by the time students get there or they'll have missed out. Figure it's already reported that the current PB's are out of supply. What will the lowly campus stores be selling, desktops? I don't think so.
post #15 of 559
Over at the Macintoshian Achaia at Ars Technica, the members are anxiously watching the order status of one Brian's 12" PowerBook. He ordered it almost three weeks ago, and it hasn't shipped. It was going to ship on the 19th (sound familiar?) but now it's going to ship on the 26th.

Next Tuesday.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Steve just bumped the date back a week to mess with the rumors sites, but there's probably a more mundane (and more likely!) explanation than that.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #16 of 559
My guess is that the PowerBooks announcment is constrained by some equation...

When # of PowerBooks in the channel reaches x, announce new PowerBooks on the next Tuesday.

Now, what is the value of x?

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #17 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Masker

When # of PowerBooks in the channel reaches x, announce new PowerBooks on the next Tuesday.

MSKR

Apple's inventory management is world class. Do you think someone from engineering just pops over to sales and says "I've got some new PBs - we'll release them when the channel is cleared."? Apple has known for months when they expect to release new PBs. There are always unplanned events (hard to make good plans when there are dependencies on moto ), but Apple does this transition all the time. Apple knows when to slow production on existing models and ramp up on new ones. Where we see problems are at the big events where Apple announces something not quite ready for shipping. Before Apple implemented world-class inventory control, there would be a like of Macs piled up in wharehouses, that had to be dumped before new ones could come out. But now Apple basically builds as many as it needs today.

Bottom line - they are not out because they are not ready yet. As I've stated maybe too often, I speculate that Moto failed again on their promises for the 7447/57, that they were originally supposed to be in the 12" and 17" at their introduction, and that is why the 17" took so long to ship - more re-engineering was required than was anticipated for the extra heat. The 7447/57 lagging is still the reason why the PB line has not yet been refreshed. Given the rumors that the PB is expected any day, and that the iMac (ThinkSecret) will be refreshed soon, we can hope that Moto is finally delivering the 7447/57. I predict that a year from now, the Moto - Apple story will come out.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #18 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Masker

MSKR

X==0, I suspect, at this point in time.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #19 of 559
Quote:

Hmm, if you make it 2000 it might be worth the torture.
post #20 of 559
Quote:

Uhh, is that the Director's cut of Gigli?
post #21 of 559
Quote:

I purchased first Mac in March 2003 (iMac 17) and am considering PB 15 soon. Have looked at PB 12 and curious why you do not like the PB 12?

Thanks
post #22 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by SerpentFruit
Uhh, is that the Director's cut of Gigli?

The director's cut is blank. But I can throw in a $20 gift certificate for Krispy Kreme if that sweetens the deal?
post #23 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Over at the Macintoshian Achaia at Ars Technica, the members are anxiously watching the order status of one Brian's 12" PowerBook.

Amorph, I just LOVE the first post on that page you linked to.

You just don't read quality posts like that too often.

post #24 of 559
Im guessing we will see them this friday.
post #25 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
Im guessing we will see them this friday.

Why?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #26 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
Why?

Just Guessin. Are you gettin one?
post #27 of 559
I think they are coming really quickly. I've been waiting for weeks now and have told my vendor the minute it's announced I want one overnighted -- apparently he's got a few more people who are in the same boat and has them on a call list.
During my conversation with him today he indicated that he got a rather cryptic e-mail that indicated they were absolutely not to give any discounts on an item number that corresponds to the 15" Powerbook.
It could just be management at the company going off the same sort of rumors and innuendo that the rest of the Apple Net is. I've heard that the resellers, even the major ones (which this one qualifies as), don't know beforehand.
Or it could be them laying the groundwork for an announcement in the next couple of days.
Either way, discounts or no discounts, the minute it hits the shelf I'm buying.
It's funny, I was in the Apple Store in the Galleria Mall in Houston and told the guy I was waiting on the 15" update and he smiled and said, "Ah, the Golden Unicorn."
We'll see. I just hope for the best
post #28 of 559
Quote:
Just Guessin. Are you gettin one?

As soon as I hear they are announced and I can get to a computer I will order one. I am just waiting for the upgrade because I need a computer but badly want a new one, so I wait an loose out on small bits of money as we speak.
post #29 of 559
Quote:

greggW, if you are serious, i'm in the market for a cheap 12. let me know.
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
post #30 of 559
I do not know how cheap it would be. Make me a reasonable offer that does not include horrible movies and nasty dounuts!
post #31 of 559
Quote:
I do not know how cheap it would be. Make me a reasonable offer that does not include horrible movies and nasty dounuts!

heh, well what specs it got?

post #32 of 559
there should be a another forum for this...

Sell your used Macs!

Oh yeah, I think it's called ebay. Ha!

I wanna mac, I wanna mac, I wanna mac hey hey hey HEY!
post #33 of 559
Quote:

There is NOTHING nasty about Krispy Kreme doughnuts...HOW DARE YOU!!!
post #34 of 559
According to the latest MacMall catalog new PowerBooks are due out any day...
post #35 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
According to the latest MacMall catalog new PowerBooks are due out any day...

What? I just checked their website and it says usually ships next day and no mention of new powerbooks. What does the magazine say?
post #36 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
...but there's probably a more mundane (and more likely!) explanation than that.

Maybe to let the first shipping G5s have a week of press all to themselves?
post #37 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

I seriousy thought the same thing.
post #38 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

yep. that's what I'm thinking. They probably don't want to draw any attention away from the G5 at least until they've hit Apple store availability... I know I'm seriously considering getting one instead of a PB... I mean 1 Ghz front side bus, up to 8 gb of RAM! Not to mention a G5 PROCESSOR!!!!

But then, portability is a big thing for me, and the PB's are just sooooo freakin' cool. Everybody would just salivate over my Tibook when I first bought it. Alas! I will have to make a choice!
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
post #39 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by RANSOMED
yep. that's what I'm thinking. They probably don't want to draw any attention away from the G5 at least until they've hit Apple store availability... I know I'm seriously considering getting one instead of a PB... I mean 1 Ghz front side bus, up to 8 gb of RAM! Not to mention a G5 PROCESSOR!!!!

But then, portability is a big thing for me, and the PB's are just sooooo freakin' cool. Everybody would just salivate over my Tibook when I first bought it. Alas! I will have to make a choice!

I wouls suggest waiting for powerbooks unless you absolutly need massive processing power. There is something about portability that just rocks.
post #40 of 559
Quote:

What? I just checked their website and it says usually ships next day and no mention of new powerbooks. What does the magazine say?

The latest print catalog shows their "unveiling" photo that is used whenever new Apple products are announced, typically right after an expo or event but too soon to show the actual new products at print time. In the caption it says something about the new portables for professionals and to call for details. Obviously they were expecting them too. I'm thinking no later than Tuesday as a result. Am I the only one who got this catalog?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?