or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon? - Page 5

post #161 of 559
If, and I mean that with quite a bit of emphasis. If the 15" is updated mid/late Sept, they won't ship for at least a couple weeks afterward. Wouldn't Steve have lost all momentum of selling to the school bound crowd????

(Alliance, You know where you can shove your miniscule mind ......) And yes I have travelled to most major (and many minor) countries throughout the world, so I do have first hand experiance.
post #162 of 559
Mac Mechanic just got a new shipment of 12" and 17" PowerBooks.....
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
post #163 of 559
Well if you want a really good deal buy either my 12 or my 17 from me!
post #164 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Holistic
Just throwing out a thought...

ThinkSecret
"All of the new models will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models."
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustpowerbooks.html

Have you ever thought why they would need to upgrade the OS version?

Currently the 17inch powerbook has all the bells and wistles that everyone assumes the 15inch will be upgrading to. However, there wouldn't be a need for a new OS since it already works with the 17inch.

The only thing I could think would be if the OS regulates the processing speed. Because if it did, the a bump in speed above 1 Ghz would need the new OS version.

Otherwise...

The new OS only is another sign that the PowerBook might be switching to the G5 !!!!

What other hardware changes would one need to make an new OS other than the G5 ???

Please do share your thoughts on my logic and your understanding of the OS integration with hardware components.

It could be an upgrade to support:
1. A 15.4" display at a different resolution
2. The G4 7457 (not just higher speed 7457 is new)
3. Other fancy stuff, like a built-in broadband modem.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #165 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by H4wk
If, and I mean that with quit a bit of emphasis. If the 15" is updated mid/late Sept, they won't ship for at least a couple weeks afterward. Wouldn't Steve have lost all momentum of selling to the shool bound crowd????

They've lost the opportunity to sell new hardware to the school bound crowd. But the new PowerBook will be ready when it's ready, and not before; and in the meantime Apple can offer their existing lineup - which is selling just fine, thank you - in really nice bundles, at attractive discounts.

As long as most people just go out and buy what they need when they need it, Apple's good to go.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #166 of 559
I work for a university that just made a huge deal with powerbooks for students. It is my understanding that apple said to my university that a new PB will not be out for a while. I'm not sure how realiable my source is but they just made a multi-million dollar education deal with the 1ghz 15" PB and all students will be using them. Take it for what it is.
dolphyjazz
post #167 of 559
Would I be completely lame if - in my desire to "go mobile" quickly and inexpensively - simply get a nice 900MHz, combo drive 12" iBook (my friend has the 14" 900MHz iBook and it's really a fine, solid little machine!) and just worry about a PowerBook sometime in mid-2004?

Maybe I can just skip the whole "G4 PowerBook" thing altogether and go straight from a nice little iBook to a G5 PowerBook in a year?

I swear, I'm getting completely worn out over all this. Idiot rumors, Tuesdays coming and going, etc.

I can spend $1299 and be done with it already. It was, after all, my ORIGINAL intention (get an iBook).

I mean, there's no damn way I'm going to drop $2000-2600 on a 7455 PowerBook (if that most recent French rumor is right). I'd rather get a proven 900MHz G3 that I KNOW performs well (plus the great AirPort performance of the iBook).

Maybe the G4 PowerBook is a bust.

post #168 of 559
No Way...

G5 Powerbooks at Paris!

My only question is would you really want to by one that soon?

It would be on the 130nm chip... We all know the 90nm would produce less heat and by that time run faster. Not to mention that softerware titles would probally be up to speed with 64-bit optimized software. You'd have a rockin machine!

Besides, if they don't have Panther installed on those computers announced at Apple Expo, why bother? It would only be another month before you'd want to upgrade to the new OS!
post #169 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Holistic
Besides, if they don't have Panther installed on those computers announced at Apple Expo, why bother? It would only be another month before you'd want to upgrade to the new OS!

Yeah, but chances are that Apple would offer those who buy the new Paris hardware Panther as a free upgrade. They usually do for people who buy right around that release window.

I, for one, am not convinced on the new hardware front. We've been used and abused by the rumor sites over the last two weeks worse than I can ever remember before. And not just a couple of fly-by-night organizations or people looking to make a buck but by the "reputable" sites.

I'm so sick of CONFIRMED! that the sight of the word makes me physically ill. I'm putting along on my Ti400 with a shift key missing and a spacebar that sticks--but I'll be damned if I'm going to pony up cash for a machine that's going to be upgraded by the time it ships to my door.
post #170 of 559
what about ibooks update??? when were they last updated and what the possibility of superdrive in the ibook
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #171 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Zygote
Yeah, but chances are that Apple would offer those who buy the new Paris hardware Panther as a free upgrade. They usually do for people who buy right around that release window.

[SNIP]

I bought a Rev. A PBG4-500 on 17FEB2001, just over 1 month before the release of OSX.0 (24MAR2001). There were no free upgrades offered. I was lucky in the fact that I could buy it as a student for $69.
post #172 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Would I be completely lame if - in my desire to "go mobile" quickly and inexpensively - simply get a nice 900MHz, combo drive 12" iBook (my friend has the 14" 900MHz iBook and it's really a fine, solid little machine!) and just worry about a PowerBook sometime in mid-2004?

Maybe I can just skip the whole "G4 PowerBook" thing altogether and go straight from a nice little iBook to a G5 PowerBook in a year?

I swear, I'm getting completely worn out over all this. Idiot rumors, Tuesdays coming and going, etc.

I can spend $1299 and be done with it already. It was, after all, my ORIGINAL intention (get an iBook).

I mean, there's no damn way I'm going to drop $2000-2600 on a 7455 PowerBook (if that most recent French rumor is right). I'd rather get a proven 900MHz G3 that I KNOW performs well (plus the great AirPort performance of the iBook).

Maybe the G4 PowerBook is a bust.

I am with yout totally. These rumours suck. I think since there are so few 15in in the chanel Ill get a used one of ebay w/ apple care, and maybe some extras. Yay no more waiting. I really dont think that there will be any powerbook any time soon. Untill 2004 when the whole line will go g5.
post #173 of 559
Hello!

The rumors about the PB15 most be over. We have being speculating for more thant 3 months and all the rumors are false.

Matt31
post #174 of 559
Quote:

If you are thinking of going that route, do this instead:

Buy a 12" PowerBook with a Combo Drive, an iPod, and a printer with the Education discount. Tell yourself that you would have bought the iPod and printer anyway (since of course, you just HAVE to have an iPod, and well, we all need printers), and in justifying the purchase to yourself, apply the entire $300 rebate amount to the PowerBook cost only.

Add that $300 rebate to the $200 discount already in place on the PowerBook, and you are now buying said notebook for mere $1099.

Actually, apply the $30 iPod discount to that too. Really make yourself think you got a freaking steal. That goddamned PowerBook only cost you $1069. Holy shit, how can you say no to a $1069 PowerBook.

Case doesn't attract scratches, you've got a G4, and it's even smaller and more portable than the iBook.

It's so ridiculously cheap that you won't care when the new ones roll out, and you can wait until next year to grab a new one - with a G5.

You will thank me later.

[ img ]PayPal donate button[ /img ]
post #175 of 559
Ha...I had this big cool thing written out, then I read murbot's post. Bastard! Maybe he's right...

I had no idea they were that cheap.

Where is this stuff?
post #176 of 559
Buy a bundle, get a bundle back.

$300 rebate.

12" Combo is $1399 at the Edu store, discounted from the regular retail price of $1599.

Edu price on all iPods is $30 less than regular retail.

That's $530 US. ($750 in Canada)

post #177 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Rolo
... there's no way Steve Jobs would get up on a stage in Paris and announce 1.25 GHz G4 PBs. He'd be booed off the stage. If all we're going to get is a 15" AlBook that's like its 17" older brother, why not just issue a PR?...

I think this is a very good point. Everyone at Apple will be acutely aware of the current PB-update hype. (I can hear the excitement in her voice as even my telesales rep at the Apple Store UK speculates on new specs.) Apple, in the avatar of SJ no less, won't want to disappoint potential buyers in such a big way on such a big platform.

Why I think updates (whatever they are) will be announced in Paris (and not before, nor after):

.SJ is Key-Noting at Paris.

.Paris again - Surely there wouldn't be such an eagerly awaited and scrutinized update less than three weeks before a big publicity event with uber press attention and a big who-ha?

.As above, but for before read after. Damn - if we reach NOVEMBER 2003 with no update for the 12"/17" (10 months), let alone the 15" (1 YEAR!!!) - well... that's just @$*%&^£ stupid.

.The PB line is Apple's only portable that can compete IMHO with the high end Sony's, Toshiba's and Dell's of this world. Regardless of OS, they are quagmired in a perfomance bracket several months old.

."Channels are dry" (yeuch) - Why bruise sales by allowing underavailability for no reason?

.Education Deals have hit the UK - With stocks (by most accounts) already very low, why try to shift more PB units (or iBooks with an iPod and HP) for no reason? There are loads of these deals (USA, AUS etc Am I right?) and of course they end soon after University/College starts in each of those regions, but that's also not long after Paris ends.

.Something must be said for the rumour mill - There must be some grain of truth (I use that word loosely) from some "insider" that is reliable: it's just it's impossible to tell that truth from the BS. (I accept this may be more wishful thinking on my part.)

If i think of any more arguments either way, i'll let you know.
You mean you read this far?
post #178 of 559
Quote:

.Something must be said for the rumour mill - There must be some grain of truth (I use that word loosely) from some "insider" that is reliable: it's just it's impossible to tell that truth from the BS. (I accept this may be more wishful thinking on my part.)

Grain, I believe, is the proper term.

I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #179 of 559
I did just see this though in the Terms and Conditions of the Apple Education Store's UK PB/iBook+iPod+HP deal

[http://www.apple.com/uk/education/pr...fun_more_done/]

-Qualifying products:
-Any Apple PowerBook or iBook portable computer (EXCEPT: M8758 iBook 800MHz/CD-ROM and Z06U iBook CD-ROM Configure-to-Order);

Note ANY PB... BALLS, BALLS, BALLS... and this lasts until 25 November 2003. Surely they wouldn't allow a new, updated PB, that people are gagging to buy, go for a discount on release. BALLS, BALLS, BALLS.

If I'm being level headed here this says to me no PB at Paris (and i just wrote that long post...)

BALLS. I don't wanna believe it...

Can anyone see a way around this so I can keep my dream alive of a spanking new PB for University (Beginning October)?
post #180 of 559
Well, I couldn't wait. I had to get one... I just ordered a 15" Pbook 1ghz! YES! I am a switcher! I'll get a new one when it comes out too maybe, and let my wife have this one if the new one is a huge upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the G5 Pbook with Panther on it. Mine will be in next week! Man... this is so cool.

ME
post #181 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by pc-to-mac
Well, I couldn't wait. I had to get one... I just ordered a 15" Pbook 1ghz! YES! I am a switcher! I'll get a new one when it comes out too maybe, and let my wife have this one if the new one is a huge upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the G5 Pbook with Panther on it. Mine will be in next week! Man... this is so cool.

ME

Congratulations. It is always a fun experience to unpack a new Mac.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #182 of 559
Has anyone received a powerbook 12 or 15 from the Apple store recently?
post #183 of 559
Chalk up one more for caving in. I just couldn't wait any longer.

1Ghz 15" on the way ........
post #184 of 559
And one by one, they all crumble...

Hey...why am I laughing?!?! I had my finger on the BUTTON today. I was honestly wavering between a 12" iBook and a 12" PowerBook.

The day ain't over yet either...

post #185 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by H4wk
Chalk up one more for caving in. I just couldn't wait any longer.

1Ghz 15" on the way ........

Me too! Buying 15in in 3...2.....1..SOLD

.Oh well itll be fine. And maybe ill get Rev 2 of the G5 powerbook next year. Ya I'll just keep telling myself that.
post #186 of 559
I also recently purchased a Ti Book (1GHz/512mb). As I see it, this is perhaps the "last" version of the 15" PowerBook in its Titanium incarnation. It has undergone countless revisions and improvements since its release a number of years ago. As a result it has been honed down, tweaked, adjusted to where it has gotten to a point of extreme reliability and efficiency. It is "battle-proven" with a number of generations of refinements. This last Ti model is probably as good as it will ever get.

The problem with buying a newly introduced Aluminum (perhaps) 15" PowerBook (if it ever does come out) is that it will be first generation. Sure it will be faster and will have extreme-everything with all the bells and whistles. But remember, it will still be first generation and the nature of that beast is that it will surely have glitches and what-nots that will have to be weeded out in the successive generations until it will probably reach the state of perfection the Ti is in now... and then Apple will discontinue even this "new" one.

The key is to buy it when it has been honed to perfection! At least that's how I see it.
post #187 of 559
I'm buying in 2 weeks...

What?

Whatever is available....

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #188 of 559
Quote:
I'm buying in 2 weeks...

I'm possibly buying a 12" PB on Sept. 8th (the supposed ship date for my college computer store). I wish that I had bought one a couple of months ago when they had plenty in stock. I would be a much happier person today.

I'm going to start a list of assignments that I've been given that I'm unable to start because I don't have a PowerBook. I should send it to Apple. Last night, I asked an Apple Store rep what other highend laptop Apple recommends getting instead of a PowerBook considering the shortage. He didn't really get my point. I just wish that Apple would give a sign that the PowerBook line is getting revised, albeit a little delayed. I know that many of my classmates have gotten Sony laptops instead of the recommended Macs just so they can do the work. There's even someone who "switched" but went to the other side from Mac.

Brian
post #189 of 559
Quote:
And one by one, they all crumble...

Hey...why am I laughing?!?! I had my finger on the BUTTON today. I was honestly wavering between a 12" iBook and a 12" PowerBook.

The day ain't over yet either...

I pulled the trigger last week on a 12" PowerBook, 15GB iPod, and printer. Couldn't resist that massive discount, and I am sick of waiting my life away.

post #190 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
what about ibooks update??? when were they last updated and what the possibility of superdrive in the ibook

iBooks were updated in late spring, so I expect another update in late fall. The SuperDrive will appear when the iBook inherits the G4, and not before: iDVD requires AltiVec.

pscates: Get the iBook. It's a great little machine.

Original music:

Original music:
post #191 of 559
I was at CompUSA and the guy told me that the new powerbook might not ship until after thanksgiving. He did tell me that his apple rep said that the specs would come out in the next couple of weeks. So i guess it may be a long wait.
post #192 of 559
Ok, so I wanted to reply to this thread but instead I posted a new thread, stupid me. Any ways the bottom line is I just ordered a 12" PB, so I guess this means Stevo will announce the new PB line up at the Paris Expo in Sept. I really hope something exciting comes out of the expo with all the hype and rumors flying around. This will just mean I will have to wait another year to get the new generation of PBs.
post #193 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by allen
Has anyone received a powerbook 12 or 15 from the Apple store recently?

I received a 15" PB yesterday. It was ordered less than a week before through the Apple store. My shipment came from Taiwan. So I'm guessing they are still being run through production, this did not come from a warehouse in CA.

I was just sick of waiting for the updates. Plus I'm going to Rome, the reason I needed a laptop, just 2 days into the Paris Expo. Either way, I loose. Personally, I would be there will be some kind of update to the PB at the Expo, whyelse would Steve be speaking there. That's my 2 cents.

I am also awaiting a 1.8 Ghz G5 that I ordered the day they were announced. My shipment date has been moved to 9/15. Yes, I'm not to happy about that, but hey, I have a new PB to play with, I can't complain that much.
post #194 of 559
I caved & bought a 17" PB (it's been a month now! woohoo!), after much anguish & agony following WWDC & (what used to be) MWNY... and I really am happier for it. As long as the G5 PB isn't introduced anytime soon, I expect I'll be a happy camper for a long time to come. And even if that happens, for all intents & purposes this machine does what I need it to do- what more can I really ask for? Heck, I'm happy just to have this thing sitting on my desk for me to stare & smile at.
post #195 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by CGillio
I was at CompUSA and the guy told me that the new powerbook might not ship until after thanksgiving. He did tell me that his apple rep said that the specs would come out in the next couple of weeks. So i guess it may be a long wait.

My first reaction was "guy at CompUSA, feh." But then specs in a couple of weeks (read: Paris). Not out until after Thanksgiving that's ten weeks after Paris. Would Apple pre-announce a product that far?? Allegedy, the Powerbooks were ready to ship save for a indeterminate problem that delayed them until next month.

Does not compute.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #196 of 559
Just went to the Apple online store here in Australia, and the build time for one of those 1 Gig suckers is 3-4 weeks. I really do suspect that the PB's will be available on announcement.

Even the internal channel site states that next shipment is week 2/3 of September.

Start your Credit cards ladies and gentlemen......

Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
post #197 of 559
pscates et al.

I have a TiBook 867 that I bought in March. I have had previous Ti's that wavered in build quality, and I can honestly say this lastest rev is the best of all of them. After all the rumors in Jan & Feb about an aluminized 15-inch failed to materialize, I couldn't wait any longer and basically got this one to tide me over. More than six months later, I'm so glad I didn't wait. Yet I still want a Al15, which what I originally told myself I'd get after I saw the new aluminum models and read the rumors of the time. I thought WWDC would be the end of waiting for the Al15, and so thought MWCP in July was it, now, here it is almost Sept, and still no Al15. Damn it!

I still dislike the TiBook. The 17-inch is great. My friend has one. I have touched it and used it. Much better than the Ti will ever be. Smooth hinge, better keyboard. Immediately noticeable positive improvements over the Ti. I can't wait until those two features alone come to the 15-inch in an aluminum styling. Although I would prefer a 15-inch aluminum PowerBook, I am considering the 17-inch. I go back and forth on it's size. But to buy one now would be foolish because I think it too is close to an update as well.

Now I work at a school and we have tons of iBooks. I have used the newer iBook running OS X Jag. Aside from the performance being just okay, I feel constrained by its small screen. I'm spoiled by the Ti's 15-inch screen. I like the finish of the new iBooks, while some people don't. I think if Apple were to make a widescreen 15-inch iBook it would be a *hot* seller. Regardless, the current selection of iBooks is so meager compared to the PowerBook, I don't think it should be an option in your book.

As far as the PowerBook G4 12-inch...again it comes back to the screen and the lack of DVI out. It is nice, though. It doesn't give me the impression of an iBook with a G4 as some people say. I definitely feels more solid than the iBook. The keyboard is just as nice as the 17-inch, although not backlit of course, and, again, the alu finish is nice, smooth, and rigid.

The point to this whole story is, I have used all these iterations of Apple's current PowerBooks and iBooks, and given how close it seems we are to new revvs, you should seriously wait for the 15-inch if that is what you initially set out to get. If that's what you really want in your gut...hold off until it comes... if you can wait. That's just my 2¢ of friendly advice. Do what you need to do though.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #198 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
I pulled the trigger last week on a 12" PowerBook, 15GB iPod, and printer. Couldn't resist that massive discount, and I am sick of waiting my life away.

I agree totally. I bought an iPod (10 gig) last week and have been completely overwhelmed by the quality of it. Then I couldn't wait any longer and pushed the button on the 15" 1 ghz / 512meg ............ Shame on me........

It still sucks that I have to wait on the damn thing to ship ....... One thing that still needed to be updated on the 15" before a total revision is for the cdr/cdrw ..... common people, an 8x cdr???? thats pathetic.
post #199 of 559
Quote:
Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Paris.
post #200 of 559
I was just at my local Apple store tonite, and while I'm not any happier, I have decided to sit on my purchase til after Paris. If no new hardware is introduced the 16th, I'll still be happy to get "stuck" with a TiBook, because it will still be the best 15" Apple laptop available. Yes, I know, I know....

Anyway, I really went around the different 'books, and I gotta tell you, the 17" Al just didn't look like it was wearing as well as the 15" Ti. I know TiBooks get a bad rap for durability on the finish, but the 17" I checked out looked a bit... ratty. That worried me a bit. By comparison, my stepfather is visiting with his 667 TiBook, and it looks brand-new.

The Apple guy I was talking with was very cool, and very knowledgeable. He seemed to feel new 'books were on the way in Sept, but had no hard evidence. He did tell me they were glutted with 15" TiBooks, and had just gotten ten the day before. Supplies may be short most places, but apparently not at any Apple stores! He even had some G5s for sale.

My own personal feeling is that G5 books are on the way MWE Paris. I have absolutely no hard evidence (why would I be any different?), but the circumstantial evidence coupled with the long long (long, long, long, oh so long) time since the 15" was updated, along with Apple's ability to really freak our shit out is making me hopeful.

If whatever (if anything) is introduced on the 16th isn't immediately available, however, I'll be getting a trusty old TiBook.
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?