or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon? - Page 9

post #321 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by machem
...So it looks like I get to be the one to mention the new round of PB notes on the rumor sites?

Already posted above.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #322 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Already posted above.

Yah, jeez. How in the hell did I miss all that? I edited my post so maybe noone will notice. Cha.

Anyway, if you are one of those people whose order got delayed, especially if you got an email about it, I'd say that is a good sign --- you will be asked if you want to upgrade if new machines come out next week.
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
post #323 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by popmetal
Even if the new PowerBook update kicks ass and is not lackluster (G4 7457 up to 1.3 GHz with backlit keyboard on all models, L3 cache even on the 12 inch), it still wouldn't be Apple Expo material since it's not a G5 or a case redesign.

At the Apple Expo keynote 2000 (Steve's first in Europe), he introduced... the key lime iBook. You may want to reconsider what is Apple Expo material and what is not
post #324 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by philby
At the Apple Expo keynote 2000 (Steve's first in Europe), he introduced... the key lime iBook. You may want to reconsider what is Apple Expo material and what is not

good point. but the demand for new powerbooks is bad now that I'm thinking they would want to release them ASAP once they get enough processors. then again, for all we know, that may not happen even after the expo.

also, there's talk of new panther features and iPod peripherals, so it seems like he'll have more exciting things to demo for the expo than a PB update.
post #325 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
So why should I get an updated PowerBook G4 now, especially if it is not going to have the benefits of the 7457 chip? I've waited this long so why not another three months?

Spot on. I was in the market for an updated 15" G4-book in summer, but considering that it's almost mid-september now, I'll just hang on till february and the G5. Seems the current round of PB's is just a hacked together job like the DMD Powermac G4
post #326 of 559
Well, I'll do ya one better: I'M waiting until 2007 for the G6 PowerBook, so there!

This current crap just doesn't cut it for my needs. I NEED 3GHz (or more) and no less than 2100x1650 resolution (on a 15", mind you) and a 12x SuperDrive.

Anything less than the above just isn't worth getting out of bed for.

I'm a professional. I'm what you call a "power user". I need - no, I DEMAND - more specs and features than I know what to do with.

For I am...Specitus Whoreicus.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

[Anyone taking the above seriously and not getting the joke gets smacked, okay? As if the last part wasn't enough of a clue...]
post #327 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Smircle
Spot on. I was in the market for an updated 15" G4-book in summer, but considering that it's almost mid-september now, I'll just hang on till february and the G5. Seems the current round of PB's is just a hacked together job like the DMD Powermac G4

Exactly. My PowerBook G4 Ti died last December and I have been waiting for a replacement ever since. I couldn't believe it got passed up when the 12/17 models were introduced. I would have bought another PowerBook G4 Ti back then except the 12/17 models gave me a taste of what its replacement would be like. I sure didn't think I would have ended up waiting this long though. Problem is, I find that the longer I wait the higher my expectations get. I now find myself holding out until January for a PowerBook G5 since this impending PowerBook G4 update is so overdue its now become yesterday's news before it's even been announced. If it had been announced a few months ago I would have bought one. It was still significant back then. It's not significant anymore. Why should I buy one now with the PowerBook G5 so close? Yes, this could be an incorrect assumption on my part but I trust IBM a hell of a lot more than Motorola.
post #328 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates

For I am...Specitus Whoreicus.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

post #329 of 559
Rumors, even the one posted on AI yesterday, suggest that the new PBs will be announced next week around 9/9. An update like this won't need announcing at an expo in Paris.

If the spec whores among you have been paying attention to the Xbench scores, the 1.6 G5 is about equiavalent to a dual 1.25 G4 and the 1.8 is similar in performance to a dual 1.42 G4. What would a 1.2 GHz G5 be equivalent to? My guess is that it'd be very close to the performance of a 1.25 gig 7457. Why? Because, like the G5, the 7457 has 512K L2 cache. Since the 7457 uses less power, produces less heat, and doesn't need the same power hungry controller module the G5 does, the updated 7457 PB will be quite excellent in terms of battery life and also performance.

Anyone who needs a PB now should definitely get this update and quit whining about "only" being 1.25 GHz. Clock speed isn't the only thing that gives a Mac its speed. Maybe the SuperDrive and the HD will be faster.

If you have a new PB with improved trackpad and mouse button, faster everything inside, lighted keyboard, better display, and sleek anodized aluminum case, you have a winner that anyone would be proud to own. I just hope Apple and Moto will be able to keep up with demand!
post #330 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Rolo
Rumors, even the one posted on AI yesterday, suggest that the new PBs will be announced next week around 9/9. An update like this won't need announcing at an expo in Paris.

If the spec whores among you have been paying attention to the Xbench scores, the 1.6 G5 is about equiavalent to a dual 1.25 G4 and the 1.8 is similar in performance to a dual 1.42 G4. What would a 1.2 GHz G5 be equivalent to? My guess is that it'd be very close to the performance of a 1.25 gig 7457. Why? Because, like the G5, the 7457 has 512K L2 cache. Since the 7457 uses less power, produces less heat, and doesn't need the same power hungry controller module the G5 does, the updated 7457 PB will be quite excellent in terms of battery life and also performance.

Anyone who needs a PB now should definitely get this update and quit whining about "only" being 1.25 GHz. Clock speed isn't the only thing that gives a Mac its speed. Maybe the SuperDrive and the HD will be faster.

If you have a new PB with improved trackpad and mouse button, faster everything inside, lighted keyboard, better display, and sleek anodized aluminum case, you have a winner that anyone would be proud to own. I just hope Apple and Moto will be able to keep up with demand!

I'll take one, where do I sign...
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #331 of 559
Quote:

Latest rumor is that there will only be revised 12/17 models and the 15 will ride off into the sunset... until the PowerBook G5 models are announced next year.

Must... remain... calm...
Must... control... anger...
post #332 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
Latest rumor is that there will only be revised 12/17 models and the 15 will ride off into the sunset... until the PowerBook G5 models are announced next year.

Where'd you see that? Got a link?

I was in an Apple store the other day. A guy I know who works there came over and we chatted as I was running Xbench on the two G5s there. I said, hey, you get many requests for an updated 15" PB? He almost fell on the floor, mumbling something about if he had a nickel for every time he's been asked about thatÉ

There will be new 15" AlBooks SOON!!
post #333 of 559
Seriously, is this shit infecting anyone else's dreams? Had my second Alu15 PB dream last night, and I don't ever, ever dream about computers.

I blame this cursed thread.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
post #334 of 559
I bought a G5 on thursday, and suddenly I don't care about any of this anymore.
post #335 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Bear
Seriously, is this shit infecting anyone else's dreams? Had my second Alu15 PB dream last night, and I don't ever, ever dream about computers.

I blame this cursed thread.

I drempt about a 12" PB where I rested a cappucino on the trackpad.

post #336 of 559
Quote:
Where'd you see that? Got a link?

I was in an Apple store the other day. A guy I know who works there came over and we chatted as I was running Xbench on the two G5s there. I said, hey, you get many requests for an updated 15" PB? He almost fell on the floor, mumbling something about if he had a nickel for every time he's been asked about thatÉ

There will be new 15" AlBooks SOON!!

Funny thing, when I asked any of the reps at my local Apple store they seemed to know nothing concerning any PB update.
post #337 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Rolo If you have a new PB with improved trackpad and mouse button, faster everything inside, lighted keyboard, better display, and sleek anodized aluminum case, you have a winner that anyone would be proud to own. I just hope Apple and Moto will be able to keep up with demand!

Don't forget AirPort Extreme, built-in Bluetooth, the different RAM, the better keyboard (the RAM and AirPort load from below), the nicer, sturdier hinge, FireWire 800 and whatever else they might decide to throw on there!

Yes...a fine, fine machine by any reasonable person's standards!

post #338 of 559
I'd like to see the 12" model get a 13" widescreen with the original TiBook resolution of 1152x768. Not gonna happen but it would be nice if they were all on the same playing field.
post #339 of 559
That would be cool: 3 sizes, all two inches apart and all widescreen.

However, that nice little 12" screen certainly allows for a tiny, compact laptop!

In terms of getting the 12" on a "level playing field" in relation to the 15" and 17", if I had to choose between a 13" widescreen OR the 12" having L3 cache and DVI, I'd TOTALLY go with the latter.

For me, it would be 50x cooler to have something with every bit the power, capability and pizzaz as the two larger PowerBooks in such a small, convenient package.

No compromises. Again: ideally, the ONLY thing that should separate the three PowerBooks is screen size/resolution. And maybe something like base RAM or hard drive capacity (which could, of course, be tweaked via BTO). But the same core set of goodies should exist across all three of something in the same product line, IMO.

Then it's pretty much down to screen size: which one would you prefer (since you're not taking any sort of other hit in regards to performance or I/O, you can simply buy the size/weight/screen you'd like to tote around and use).

THAT should be how a PowerBook is purchased. Perhaps it'll get to that, maybe sooner than later?

I'd not even CONSIDER the 15" or 17" if I knew that the 12" I was buying was as full-featured and smartly-equipped as the two larger ones. Talk about a no-brainer!

Then I'd just buy a 20" Cinema Display for home use!

How incredible would THAT be: a 1-1.2GHz 12" PowerBook with 1MB of L3 cache, 1GB RAM, 60-80GB hard drive, 2-4x SuperDrive, 32-64MB graphics, FireWire 800, lighted keyboard, etc. hooked - while at home - to a 20" Cinema Display! When you're ready to go, disconnect the speaker, display and any other cables (or buy a dock), close it up, drop it in a little sleeve and hit the road.

Talk about "best of all worlds".
post #340 of 559
Quote:

If the spec whores among you have been paying attention to the Xbench scores, the 1.6 G5 is about equiavalent to a dual 1.25 G4 and the 1.8 is similar in performance to a dual 1.42 G4. What would a 1.2 GHz G5 be equivalent to? My guess is that it'd be very close to the performance of a 1.25 gig 7457. Why? Because, like the G5, the 7457 has 512K L2 cache.

Well, my trusty old Powerbook Titanium 400 has a whopping 1MB of L2 cache (no kidding, it has the 7410, see link) and still it is no racer.

Point is: it's not the L2 cache alone, it's the system as a whole. I believe (and this is just guessing) that the 7457 will come with a 167Mhz/DDR bus while the G5 1.2 will come with a more modern bus (600 Mhz DDR?), much better ASIC and some no-nonsense processor features not present in the 7455 at least. Not even looking at 64 Bitnes since I do not believe this will be a limitation in the three or so years I will use this new 'Book.
post #341 of 559
Well a 12" I ordered shipped from Taiwan on 9/4 to arrive 9/8, perhaps it will be one of the new ones, if they are announced Monday or Tuesday. Maybe I could return it and get the new one?
post #342 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Smircle
Well, my trusty old Powerbook Titanium 400 has a whopping 1MB of L2 cache (no kidding, it has the 7410, see link) and still it is no racer.

Point is: it's not the L2 cache alone, it's the system as a whole. I believe (and this is just guessing) that the 7457 will come with a 167Mhz/DDR bus while the G5 1.2 will come with a more modern bus (600 Mhz DDR?), much better ASIC and some no-nonsense processor features not present in the 7455 at least. Not even looking at 64 Bitnes since I do not believe this will be a limitation in the three or so years I will use this new 'Book.

Uh, there's a whopping big difference between the 1MB backside cache in your 'Book and the on-die, full processor speed 512K L2 built into the 7457 which would also have at least 1MB L3.

As for the rest, sure, system architecture is vital to good performance and the G5's is superior. However, if you could put a 1.2 gig G5 into a PB, it wouldn't be a very desirable solution. It'd be too hot, have very limited battery life, and its performance wouldn't be much better than a 1.25 gig 7457.

One has to keep in mind that a G4 with onboard half meg L2 and 1 or 2MB L3 is a potent competitor. The G5 doesn't have nor does it need L3 cache which means it's cost effective but until both the processor and controller get down to .09µ, it won't be usable in a portable.

Basically, what I'm saying is that people should be happy with this next PB revision. Hang in there, it won't be long now.
post #343 of 559
I don't know why everybody here is longing for this next revision with a 7455 or possible 7475. huuh, it's still a G4 guys!! I'm using an original TiBook 500 for 2 years now and now that the G5PB is near i can't wait till apple drops this baby. I went to my local reseller today taking a first and closer look at a 1.8 G5 - IT IS ABSOLUTELY DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS! - and now that i've seen it, i don't even dare to think about how a G5PB could look like and most of all how it will perform. I don't want a G4 anymore, my next baby will be a G5, even if I have to wait another year. But i won't definitely buy another G4PB, no way.

And, yes, I like your idea too pscates: a 12/13" widescreen PB - of course G5-powered - with a 20"-cinema-display. mmmhh, that would be nice!

sweet dreams
post #344 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by amarone
I don't know why everybody here is longing for this next revision with a 7455 or possible 7475. huuh, it's still a G4 guys!! I'm using an original TiBook 500 for 2 years now and now that the G5PB is near i can't wait till apple drops this baby....

Because some of us want to buy a new PB now and the G5 PB probably won't be widely available till next July or so (speculation).

When the 15" Al PB comes out it will be the best PB Apple has every made. No shame in that. For me it will be a huge step up from a Pismo 500.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #345 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
Because some of us want to buy a new PB now and the G5 PB probably won't be widely available till next July or so (speculation).

When the 15" Al PB comes out it will be the best PB Apple has every made. No shame in that. For me it will be a huge step up from a Pismo 500.

I agree. Whenever a G5 PowerBook comes out, it will be a first generation new model. G4 PowerBooks are refined machines. While the (expected) 15" aluminum model will be new, Apple will have already learned from the 12" and 17" models and it should be more like a third or fourth generation. Not only will it build on the success of the titanium models, it'll have the best features, improvements and lessons learned from the aluminum models that have already been around awhile as well.

G5s are barely shipping in Towers now. I suspect it will be a long time until there's a good, fast, cool PowerBook G5 on the market. We can dream of the future, but some of us want or need new PowerBooks with the latest technology that's available now.
post #346 of 559
Yes. As cool as it is to think of a G5-based PowerBook in January (or next week, if you're Dr. Holistic), I just don't think that'll be the case. I'd be seriously shocked.

I think this next round will be 7457-based AND bring the 15" model into line with the 12" and 17" (aluminum, AirPort Extreme, blah, blah, blah, etc.).

And I think it'll be a spiffy machine, as will the updates to the other two.

Can't wait...I'll either be getting a 12" or 15", based on price, features, etc. Gotta wait to see what materializes to make any final decision. But, most likely, I'll be getting a Rev. B 12".
post #347 of 559
Quote:
pscates sig:
"970 PowerBooks at WWDC!" - MacWhispers, June 2003
"7457 PowerBooks in the channels, ready to go!" - AppleInsider and ThinkSecret, August 2003
"No PowerBooks until mid-October...and possibly 7455-based" - AppleInsider and that French site, September 2003
"Apple to accept new PowerBook orders next week?" - AppleInsider, September 5, 2003
"Shut the hell up, all of you." - Paul Scates, September 2003

post #348 of 559
To be honest I don't care what the update is ... I'll buy anyway

If there are no new updates at or before the expo i'm going for the current 17"

If there is a new 15" ill buy that.

I just know if i buy now, i'll kick myself if an update is released in a few days time, but the Paris expo is my deadline.

post #349 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by drxcm
but the Paris expo is my deadline.

Same.

i have to teach a class on October 15th and will need some set up time for the portable as well.

Literally ordering on the day of the Paris keynote.

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #350 of 559
I think tomorrow might actually be the day. I have a feeling. I know, it's a Monday. Crossing fingers
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #351 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I think tomorrow might actually be the day. I have a feeling. I know, it's a Monday. Crossing fingers

*SMACK!!!*

You've been one of the WORST, most high-strung and vocal participants in the whole process!

Along with me, of course...

You ain't been right YET, my man!

[just messing with you in good fun...I, too, would love to be shocked tomorrow]
post #352 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
You've been one of the WORST, most high-strung and vocal participants in the whole process!

Like probably everyone else here, I can't wait for the wait to be over!
post #353 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by drxcm
To be honest I don't care what the update is ... I'll buy anyway

If there are no new updates at or before the expo i'm going for the current 17"

If there is a new 15" ill buy that.

I just know if i buy now, i'll kick myself if an update is released in a few days time, but the Paris expo is my deadline.

Doesn't Apple allow you to trade in a computer if you buy it and then within the next two weeks, it's updated?
post #354 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
Doesn't Apple allow you to trade in a computer if you buy it and then within the next two weeks, it's updated?

I believe it's 10 days. I don't know if there is a return/exchange fee.
post #355 of 559
France Apple Store - "We'll be back soon." but not the US Store...
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #356 of 559
Man that shits me!!!.......We're all waiting for a new PB to get some freakin' work done, and these guys in Cupertino are announcing new iPods and iMacs!!!!! ARRGGHH!!!!

Who cares about iMacs????.....Really!?

Half the bloody world needs a PB and they tease and taunt us!! "Make the fvckers wait another week....." says SJ!

That's done it now pscates.....you can officially take me to the looney bin!!

Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
post #357 of 559
The iPod and iMac updates came today, the PB update has to come either tomorrow or next week in Paris. My guess is that if it comes tomorrow it will be little more than a speedbump, if it come out at paris there is a much bettr chance of a bigger change that is worth announcing at the keynote.
post #358 of 559
Strange timing to update the iMacs just now - either Jobs will drone on and on about Panther or Paris is reserved for some hardware surprise. And I doubt it will be XServes - they are more likely to be updated at Seybold if Apple takes part there.
post #359 of 559
Seybold is taking place this week... and Apple is not participating. So that's a no on that part.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #360 of 559
Now THIS is BEYOND PATHETIC!!!!

I thought G4 shortage was the reason for no new powerbooks. Now they are wasting the damn things on a STUPID iMac update. iMac?!?!!? That piece of shit is not even a professional machine, but it takes precedence to PowerBooks?!?!? Give me a ****in' brake!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?