or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon? - Page 14

post #521 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace
Wouldn't it be 1AM PST?

ooops. my bad again I'm on a roll today. I could have sworn that I had also read somewhere that the G5 had 5 times as many transistors as the G4, but that's not true and now I write PM instead of AM. I really need to get some serious sleep.
post #522 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by popmetal
If new PowerBooks are announced at the keynote, are they likely to be available at store.apple.com soon after Steve lets the rat out of the hat, or will Apple update store.apple.com the morning after, around 5am Pacific time, as they usually do?

IIRC, the store gets updated immediately after the keynote.
post #523 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace
Wouldn't it be 1AM PST?

Yeah, it will. I can definitely stay up until 1AM Monday night / Tuesday morning
post #524 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
IIRC, the store gets updated immediately after the keynote.

Cool! I'll be up and with my mouse over the reload button.
post #525 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Part of me, however, kinda digs the idea of staying "in the dark" and waking at my normal time and opening a new window in Safari (Apple is set as my default homepage), covering my eyes and slowly peeking through my fingers a little at a time to see what has taken place overnight.

I'm thinking of doing that too! But, like you said, if I happen to awaken in the middle of the night around that time, I will pop-in definitely to see what's up on apple.com.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #526 of 559
Quote:

Part of me, however, kinda digs the idea of staying "in the dark" and waking at my normal time and opening a new window in Safari (Apple is set as my default homepage), covering my eyes and slowly peeking through my fingers a little at a time to see what has taken place overnight.

I thought I was the only one who did that ?
post #527 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by ethar
Yeah, it will. I can definitely stay up until 1AM Monday night / Tuesday morning

All right, so technically the Paris Keynote Address will occur 1AM (U.S. West Coast), Tuesday September 17th, yes?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
wine
post #528 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Bear
All right, so technically the Paris Keynote Address will occur 1AM (U.S. West Coast), Tuesday September 17th, yes?

01:00 US West Coast - Tuesday September 16
post #529 of 559
Heh, I'm in the same time zone as Paris, so I'll arrive at work, do some stuff and then keep reloading news sites. With some luck (Powerbook G5), I'll be one of the first to hit the "buy now" button.
post #530 of 559
macrumors.com now says
Quote:
Steve Jobs will be giving the keynote address at 10 a.m. CET (3 a.m. EDT)

that makes it midnight pacific time.
is that a typo or is that the real time?

they also imply that the 12 inch PowerBooks will not have illuminated keyboards. I really want that feature!!! It's pointless for Apple to cripple the 12 inch. I currently have a 15 inch PB, and I don't need the big screen size, I prefer portability, so I'm getting the 12 inch regardless. They should just put illuminated keyboard across the board on all portable machines
post #531 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
I'll get up for it and watch it...have my dad's credit card in hand and refreshing apple.com/store and whatever site is giving a play by play update of what is going on (anyone know if any site is doing this?)

If you give me your dad's credit card, I'll do a personal live update just for you on iChat AV
post #532 of 559
Quote:
...they also imply that the 12 inch PowerBooks will not have illuminated keyboards. I really want that feature!!! It's pointless for Apple to cripple the 12 inch. I currently have a 15 inch PB, and I don't need the big screen size, I prefer portability, so I'm getting the 12 inch regardless. They should just put illuminated keyboard across the board on all portable machines

I like the illuminated keyboard and hope it will be in the 15" Al PB I'm planning on getting. I understand it has enormous coolness factor. However, as a practical matter, for those of you who have the 17" Al PB, is it really much different from using one of those little USB powered fly lights?
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #533 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by philby
If you give me your dad's credit card, I'll do a personal live update just for you on iChat AV

ok.. xxxx-xxxx-0x0x you can figure out the rest so these others don't get it
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #534 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
ok.. xxxx-xxxx-0x0x you can figure out the rest so these others don't get it

Got it!
post #535 of 559
2003....Year of the Delayed Laptop
post #536 of 559
Quote:
they also imply that the 12 inch PowerBooks will not have illuminated keyboards. I really want that feature!!! It's pointless for Apple to cripple the 12 inch. I currently have a 15 inch PB, and I don't need the big screen size, I prefer portability, so I'm getting the 12 inch regardless. They should just put illuminated keyboard across the board on all portable machines

Apple is not crippling the PowerBook 12", IMHO. For most intents and purposes, it is an iBook G4 (iBook G4 wanters, read this too):
* It costs only $100 more then the 14" model
* It has the same memory layout as the iBook (128MB soldered, 640MB max)
* Except for the Aluminium, it looks and feels like an iBook
* iBelieve it has the same speakers too
* It has no L3 cache, like the iBook
* I bet it has the same screen as the iBook 12"
* Same latch too, I think
* VGA port
* It has no time battery, like the iBook
I don't think the PowerBook 12" was deliberately crippled by Apple; it was a bit of a rush job, and because of the Aluminium, G4, price, and optional SuperDrive they called it a PowerBook.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #537 of 559
that's true, but at the same time, they did change the keyboard on the 12 inch to match the aluminum color. wouldn't it have been easier to design one new keyboard and use it on the 17 and on the 12? Apple instead went out of it's way to make a grey keyboard without the ambient light sensors for the 12 inch.
post #538 of 559
I'll go out on a limb here and predict the 12" has DVI and an upated board to handle the same processors as the 17 and 15 TonkaBook.

It's gonna be a long weekend!
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
post #539 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill M
01:00 US West Coast - Tuesday September 16

(C-Bear checks calendar, realizes his mistake) Uh, yeah, that's what I meant. Must've hit the wrong key
wine
wine
post #540 of 559
This is an interesting, yet amusing thread for anyone who wants to check it out.
post #541 of 559
Certainly interesting, and fun to read. But I don't think I'm quite ready to roll everything in to astrological-based Mac rumor predictions.

Still though...

That leads me to a question: for those of us anxiously waiting for updated PowerBooks, how would you react to this scenario:

- PowerBooks announced, G5-based(!)...BUT, not shipping until mid-November (which, as we all know, is Apple code for "early 2004").

Would you wait it out, now KNOWING one is coming. Or would your life/work/school needs require you to get whatever is available now (no Rev. B 12" and 17", mind you...same models/specs that are available today).

Wow, what a dilemma (did I spell that right?). For goons such as myself, I could easily wait since I have this nice iMac and my job or school situation doesn't require that I own a laptop. But those of you who do, that would be tough.

I don't see how PowerBooks COULDN'T me announced in Paris. People are absolutely near the breaking point in many cases (ahem...) and after WWDC, Seybold and a few prime "standalone announcement" opportunities, if Paris doesn't produce...it'll be a bloodbath, I tell ya!

post #542 of 559
I have a Rev A 400Mhz TiBook and I'll gladly wait it out for a G5 PB. But I think that the new PowerBooks are gonna be G4.
post #543 of 559
Quote:

Still though...

That leads me to a question: for those of us anxiously waiting for updated PowerBooks, how would you react to this scenario:

- PowerBooks announced, G5-based(!)...BUT, not shipping until mid-November (which, as we all know, is Apple code for "early 2004").

that would be PERFECT! exactly what I need.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #544 of 559
Yeah, I do too...don't get me wrong. I was just throwing out a fun "what if" question.

I'd absolutely faint if the new PowerBooks weren't G4s!
post #545 of 559
Quote:
that's true, but at the same time, they did change the keyboard on the 12 inch to match the aluminum color. wouldn't it have been easier to design one new keyboard and use it on the 17 and on the 12? Apple instead went out of it's way to make a grey keyboard without the ambient light sensors for the 12 inch.

I don't know. That stinks. Not that I want one (I'm happy with the iBook), but it's bad anyway.
post #546 of 559
Mac Rumors Page 2 lists tentative specs for tomorrow's PowerBooks:

"Based on the available information as well as some new unconfirmed information, it seems the following releases seem probable, based on the current pieces of the rumor puzzle:

$1999 - 15" PowerBook, 1GHz G4, up to 2GB RAM, 64MB Video RAM
$2?99 - 15" PowerBook, 1.25GHz G4, up to 2GB RAM, 64MB Video RAM
$2999 - 17" PowerBook, 1.25GHz G4

Disclaimer: This is based on both rumors and speculation."

The 2 GB RAM max is very nice, but where's my dual G4 17"?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #547 of 559
this would be a total letdown for me.

I'm not asking for a 10GHz G5 laptop, or anything, but a 1.25GHz G4 and no 12 inch PB would be just pathetic after all this waiting.

Apple doesn't update its desktop machines separately, so why would it do that to laptops?
post #548 of 559
Who gives a rats ass about a new Powerbook G4?

Why in the hell would precious keynote time be given to something like this.

So what if its the vaunted 15" model. Whoopee. It will look just like the other two but have a 15" screen.

I'm stunned. I have to lie down.

And a dual G4 PB is way more unlikely than a G5 PB IMO.

Think the G4 PB's are hot now?

What about the battery life?

Not that these things are important.
post #549 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by msantti
Who gives a rats ass about a new Powerbook G4?

Apparently, lots of us.

Why in the hell would precious keynote time be given to something like this.

Updated G4 PowerBooks wouldn't be as major as the G5 intro, no, but in case you haven't seen any other Stevenotes before, it's hardly like every single thing is earth-shattering. Key lime iBooks ring a bell?

So what if its the vaunted 15" model. Whoopee. It will look just like the other two but have a 15" screen.

And Airport Extreme. And USB 2.0. And FireWire 800. Very likely the lighted keyboard. Very likely more speed, but less power consumption due to the expected 7457. Besides, the Aluminum enclosure is about more than looks -- the AlBooks are sturdier, more scratch-resistant, and better at dissipating heat than the old Titanium.

I'm stunned. I have to lie down.

The great anticipation has nothing to do with a 15" AlBook being such a stunning surprise. In fact, the anticipation is because we have a good idea of what to expect. A lot of people who want to buy a 15" PB have been holding out for this expected update, and want the wait to be over.

And a dual G4 PB is way more unlikely than a G5 PB IMO.

That much is true.

Think the G4 PB's are hot now?

What about the battery life?

Theoretically, the battery life could be dealt with simply by switching to single-processor mode while on battery -- save dual processing for AC-powered desktop replacement use. As for the heat: think of one of those AlienWare gaming laptops. You wouldn't want to hold the thing in your lap, but again, if you're saving dual processing for desktop use, just put the thing on a cooling stand on your desk and you'd be good to go.

But why bother with creating one generation of dual G4 laptops before the likely next generation of G5 laptops. And once we have G5s, I don't see the hunger for portable power pushing a need for dual G5s any time soon.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #550 of 559
macrumors.com has retracted that rumored. even they realize the absurdity of a 1 Ghz G4 powerbook for $1999.

That crap wouldn't even be worth $1500!

If it was actually true, I hope Steve gets booed and egged (it is in France after all). But that would be ridiculous.
post #551 of 559
A theory about only the 15" and 17" being updated:

The 7457 isn't ready yet, and they can't speed-bump the 12" without it. They'll simply put a faster 7455 in the 15" and 17" and leave them hotter than hades, and they'll make the 15" aluminum.

Look for the L2 cache on the new PowerBooks tomorrow - I bet it'll still be at 256 rather than 512.
post #552 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
A theory about only the 15" and 17" being updated:

The 7457 isn't ready yet, and they can't speed-bump the 12" without it. They'll simply put a faster 7455 in the 15" and 17" and leave them hotter than hades, and they'll make the 15" aluminum.

Look for the L2 cache on the new PowerBooks tomorrow - I bet it'll still be at 256 rather than 512.

yeah, but such an update would be even more lackluster than last week's iMac update. why save such a disappointment for the keynote. Even the lime iBook was a more significant update than a 7455 /PB, because the only reason for it would be the fact that Moto can't deliver 7457.
post #553 of 559
Well, those MOSR rumors are absolute tripe. Not only is the pricing out of whack, but the 7457 operates with a 200MHz FSB. That eliminates the possibility of a 1.25GHz machine right off the bat.

Also, I'm not sure I buy the AI line that Moto is eating $125 per chip. I'd be surprised if the 7457 costs $125 to make. I'm confident that Moto has had difficulty with their 130nm process, and with getting the 7457 out the door, but there's no way they're eating that much per chip.

That said, I would be surprised not to see the Powerbooks get updated tomorrow, but I can't say I'm expecting to be overwhelmed by the offerings. In terms of CPU performance there's no way a G4 is going to top the Banias processor in Wintel offerings, and battery life is no longer a distinguishing factor. The form factor, weight, and quality of everything else is great, but Apple better have something in the pipeline for laptops that will get them more performance competitive.
post #554 of 559
Those specs and prices are from macrumors.com, not macosrumors.com. Big difference.

They've been retracted now anyway, so who cares?

As for MOSR, four hours before a Stevenote and they haven't updated in a week? Sad.

post #555 of 559
Sometimes Apple sends out an email regarding product launches to VAR's and retailers one day in advance of their announcement.

This would have happened a few hours ago.

no leaks....

I'm going to check MacBidet and see what they got...

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #556 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by UWSalt
Well, those MOSR rumors are absolute tripe. Not only is the pricing out of whack, but the 7457 operates with a 200MHz FSB. That eliminates the possibility of a 1.25GHz machine right off the bat.

um, where do you find this info? all the documentation i can find says the 60x bus runs at 167MHz tops...
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #557 of 559
Quote:
yeah, but such an update would be even more lackluster than last week's iMac update. why save such a disappointment for the keynote. Even the lime iBook was a more significant update than a 7455 /PB, because the only reason for it would be the fact that Moto can't deliver 7457.

I don't think it would be more lackluster with a 7455 vs. a 7457. Jobs would never talk about something like that anyway. I am kinda surprised he's doing PowerBook speed bumps at a keynote at all, but I suppose it is kind of a new machine, assuming the 15" goes aluminum.

And I can't think of any other explanation for the apparent lack of 12" upgrades.
post #558 of 559
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I don't think it would be more lackluster with a 7455 vs. a 7457. Jobs would never talk about something like that anyway. I am kinda surprised he's doing PowerBook speed bumps at a keynote at all, but I suppose it is kind of a new machine, assuming the 15" goes aluminum.

And I can't think of any other explanation for the apparent lack of 12" upgrades.

Well, good for you, but I don't know how many people will be happy with a 7455. I for one, would keep my money. I dont' care how Jobs talks about it.

And the fact that the 15" is going aluminum isn't a big deal either - especially 9 months after the rest of the PB line went aluminum.

At least 1.25GHz iMac update was respectable, because that's good for a consumer level product. At this point, an overheating , short battery lifed 1.25 GHz PowerBook would be an embarrassment with or without a keynote.

If it's mentioned at the keynote, it would have to be 7457 or some sort of a G5.
post #559 of 559
now page.macrumors.com is saying that ALL PowerBooks will be update.

go figure
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?