or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Paris Expo 2003

Paris Expo 2003 - Page 2  

post #41 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Holistic
No question about it... Hold me to my prediction!

Paris Expo Announcements:

1) G5 Powerbook
2) Windows iTunes
3) iPod Peripherals
4) New 30" Cinema Display
5) Revised 17" & 23" Cinema Displays
6) Panther OX X 10.3
7) New Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

This will be the best announcement!

The catch is the shipping dates of all the products won't be that day... but probably 1 month post Apple Expo.

MARK MY WORDS, Junior!

Thanks for the rumor recap.

How can you be so confident after just flooding the boards with questions and speculations for the past couple weeks?

Oh wait, are you MacOSrumors.com source? Now it makes sense.
post #42 of 279
Just to add fuel to the fire guys......

Apple Australia have the 1GHz TiBook next available week 2/3 September.

I think it's safe to say people, that new PowerBooks are on their way. I would think Paris is the scene and shipping immediately on announcement.

I suspect that SJ knows that we are all waiting for new laptops and by making us wait gets us more and more edgy for the announcement to be made. I think he'll be thinking that all will be redeemed by having them readily available in stores!!!!

That's what I think. But hey.....what do I know??

Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
post #43 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Joecool
I think it's safe to say people, that new PowerBooks are on their way. I would think Paris is the scene and shipping immediately on announcement.

Let's hope so I'll be there, and want to see the new PowerBooks the moment I step out of the Stevesters Note, dazed in glorious RDF, willing to $pend $$$ 8)
post #44 of 279
How long have the 12 inchers been out for now? Is an update to 1 GHz for these too much to hope for?
post #45 of 279
Think Secret reports of "some sort of problem that pushed the release [of the new 15" & 17" Powerbooks] to next month."

Stevenote: T minus 17 days : 11 hours : 37 minutes

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #46 of 279
Quote:

I suspect that SJ knows that we are all waiting for new laptops and by making us wait gets us more and more edgy for the announcement to be made....

....so that we end up making a rash and foolish impulse buy the second they are announced
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #47 of 279
is it unusual for Steve to 'note a Paris expo? Especially since he doesn't speak French. Perhaps he's just announcing a new Apple store in Paris or something else more specific for their market.
post #48 of 279
Honestly, I don't remember Steve ever giving a keynote in Paris...unless here was there for the intoduction of the 'La iLivre chaux'.

*waits for Powerdoc to correct my bad French*
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #49 of 279
He has keynoted the two last Paris expos

Here's the last one
post #50 of 279
Well there you go.

If they're not streamed, they don't really exist.
post #51 of 279
nm dp
post #52 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
If we are lucky Apple will anounce iTMS for Europe and Windows (US and Europe) at the same time [as Windoze iTMS]. that would be best for Apples bottom line.

And at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it would be really, really appropriate to announce Euro iTMS at Paris. You can be sure that Apple would really, really want to make this happen. So maybe they've succeeded?

As for the Windoze iTMS thing, wouldn't this be almost a certainty? I assume that iTunes is a Carbon app; if so, wouldn't it be almost trivial to recompile for Windoze? After that, of course, there's lots of optimisation and bug fixing to be done. But it seems to me that the current timeframe should be about right for iTMS: Dark Side Edition.

So perhaps this will be a keynote that's mainly about services, with new/updated products taking a back seat.
post #53 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
It's a matter of whether it's easier to convince the big 5 labels to commit to a Windows version in the US, or whether it's easier to wade through the dense, tangled thicket of licensing contracts and agreements in force in the various countries that make up Europe.

Neither one is easy, and only one has been promised "by the end of the year" (Windows iTunes) so from that it's not hard to conclude which Apple feels is more likely to appear first.

Amorph:

I haven't been following the geek news too assiduously lately, but I thought that some kind of iTMS-like service was already going in Europe. If so, wouldn't that pave the way for Apple to follow suit?
post #54 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Sopphode
He has keynoted the two last Paris expos

Here's the last one

And Apple Expo 2003 is only the third Apple Expo.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #55 of 279
Oh my god, the best part was when everyone hooted and roared when the Ellen Feiss ad came up.
post #56 of 279
Just give me iTMS euro, and 10.3 (free for everyone at the ketnote) and i'll be happy.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
post #57 of 279
Stevenote: T minus 13 days : 11 hours : 36 minutes
post #58 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by boy_analog
Amorph:

I haven't been following the geek news too assiduously lately, but I thought that some kind of iTMS-like service was already going in Europe. If so, wouldn't that pave the way for Apple to follow suit?

I can't remember if it's like "BuyMusic.com" and it's basically just a container for songs sold at whatever price the label sets with whatever conditions the label sets, instead of being consistent the way iTMS is.

If so, that's a lot easier to pull off, because it punts the contractual wrangling to the consumer.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #59 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Phong
Oh my god, the best part was when everyone hooted and roared when the Ellen Feiss ad came up.

She is definitley hot. Interesting that the focus was on the switch campaign...oops, it has been a miserable failure! Oh well.
PB 17" 1.67Ghz
1.5 GB/ 100GB
Dell 2405FPW
PB 17" 1.67Ghz
1.5 GB/ 100GB
Dell 2405FPW
post #60 of 279
There was a rumour of a DP 1.8, no one has brought this up but I wonder if it might just slot into the range in Paris.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #61 of 279
Whooo hooo I received my badge today with a K to open the keynotes magic doors! I cant wait!

I am sure they will give a shipping date for 10.3 but will already have free copies for everyone at the keynote. They will also introduce the wireless keyboard and mouse and give everyone at the keynote a free wireless mouse. End fantasy.

Okay so I wont get anything free except for some good Steve karma!
post #62 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Rumor_Addict
Okay so I wont get anything free except for some good Steve karma!

Don't forget the will to $pend! $pend! $pend!
We'll all walk out of the Keynote with this buzzing in our RDF-inebriated brains, and Steve will give it to us for free!
post #63 of 279
For all the daydreamer let´s recap the Paris news:

* New PowerBooks
They will show (12/17 speed bumped G4, new Alu-15 G4). Even when in january or february the PW G5 will appear, that does not mean that from then on all PB will be G5. Rather the Paris PB will remain for longer time and the G5-PB will just be the new flagship model.

* iTunes Music Store
Don't expect iTMS/Win, because this does not interest Mac users at all. iTMS/Win will be introduced on a more general interest show (e.g. NAMM, 15-18th January 2004).
Don't expect iTMS/Europe, because the laws in the different countries are just too complicated. But maybe we will see a iTMS/France or even an iTMS/half-europe. If Apple covers France, Germany, UK and Italy, it has about 80% of the european market. That would be a start...
[put some sophisticated stuff here to make yourself seem more intelligent]
post #64 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzmac
But maybe we will see a iTMS/France or even an iTMS/half-europe. If Apple covers France, Germany, UK and Italy, it has about 80% of the european market. That would be a start...

Grüezi!
You forgot one market I'd sort of be interested in, and where Apple historically is quite prominent: iTMS/Switzerland 8)

OTOH, I doubt there will be G4 PowerBooks after the G5 PB is introduced; G4 iBooks however might sell quite well.
post #65 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by philby
You forgot one market I'd sort of be interested in, and where Apple historically is quite prominent: iTMS/Switzerland 8)

True! If Apple's world-wide market share would be as big as Apple CH, we all would be glad. Yeah, and I'm quite sure that iTMS/CH would sell well over 5 songs a day...

Concerning G5 only PB in Jan./G4-iBook: I don't think Apple will immediately switch to G4-iBooks, cause if G5-books are not available for some weeks (sounds familiar, does it? ) the G4-iBooks would cannibalize the market for G4-PBs...
post #66 of 279
There was a wee article in the Toronto Star's @Biz section today regarding Universal Music's price drop for CDs. What was interesting was a quote from Canadian CEO Randy Lennox that was something like, "We will be offering our entire catalogue for download, priced a $0.99 a song (CDN)"
Lennox did not specify how the songs would be made available but I'm going to be optimistic and assume it is in reference to iTunes.

Sounds like iTMS will start going international this fall so maybe SJ will be announcing this during his fabled Stevenote. And he'll announce iTunes for Windows.
post #67 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
And he'll announce iTunes for Windows.

As if we could care less.
post #68 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by philby
As if we could care less.

We may never use it, but we should care becouse this could add a lot of revenue to Apples bottom line.
post #69 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
[B]There was a wee article in the Toronto Star's @Biz section today regarding Universal Music's price drop for CDs. What was interesting was a quote from Canadian CEO Randy Lennox that was something like, "We will be offering our entire catalogue for download, priced a $0.99 a song (CDN)"
Lennox did not specify how the songs would be made available but I'm going to be optimistic and assume it is in reference to iTunes.

thats not going to be good for business...i can just eee my creit card bill going through the room
"its only $0.99, i can afford it" 100 downloads later and it will add up

oh well here's hoping for Canadian and European iTMS support.
post #70 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzmac

* iTunes Music Store
Don't expect iTMS/Win, because this does not interest Mac users at all. iTMS/Win will be introduced on a more general interest show (e.g. NAMM, 15-18th January 2004).
Don't expect iTMS/Europe, because the laws in the different countries are just too complicated. But maybe we will see a iTMS/France or even an iTMS/half-europe. If Apple covers France, Germany, UK and Italy, it has about 80% of the european market. That would be a start...

If they release it for Europe they must include all the countries. Or else...
post #71 of 279
Quote:
Just to add fuel to the fire guys......

Apple Australia have the 1GHz TiBook next available week 2/3 September.

I suspect that SJ knows that we are all waiting for new laptops and by making us wait gets us more and more edgy for the announcement to be made. I think he'll be thinking that all will be redeemed by having them readily available in stores!!!!

That's what I think. But hey.....what do I know??

Well, I ordered my 15" custom Ti book last thursday and it still says it will ship tomorrow the 5th. I would think if this happens, that they're still making the Ti's and there's not going to be a huge upgrade... or any at Paris. Just my opinion though. Dang I can't wait to get my first mac.

ME
post #72 of 279
Stevenote: T minus 11 days : 15 hours : 13 minutes

Screed
post #73 of 279
A local Apple supplier has updated his catalogue and specifically referred to Paris Expo for following updates:

- Powerbook
- iMac
- iPod !! next generation knocking on the door

As Pscates said, you can't hope for more than 3 major hardware announcements. Seems he's right (again).
post #74 of 279
So, is anybody going to Paris?

I will, and I will hopefully see the keynote, too. Who else is coming?
post #75 of 279
iPod update!? The 3Gs just came out in April.
Hm.
Maybe the rumored peripherals??

Screed ...Come on TiVo iPod
post #76 of 279
....and more at hand boys and girls.....

Apple Australia states that ALL three PowerBook models are to be fulfilled by week3/week4 of September!!

Forget just 15"ers getting updated!! Yes Paul, you may just get your wish for a Rev B 12".....or is that a 15"er you were after??

Anyways.....Christmas is coming early people!!!!...........yeeeeee haaaaaaaarrrr!!

post #77 of 279
Apple already has a prototype PowerBook G5 running, even showing it to a select crowd.

That being said, there is no way it will ship before January I don't think. Though, thanks to Motorola, Apple will likely be forced to announce it in October, and ship it in January, Just to make sure that people know that there is progress happening.

So much for the year of the PowerBook being 2003.
post #78 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
I will, and I will hopefully see the keynote, too. Who else is coming?

Yep.
Received the K badge today for my 4th Stevenote. Let's hope it will be as breathtaking as when the G4 and the Cinema Display were introduced @ Seybold! We really went crazy that day...
post #79 of 279
Time conversion of Paris keynote? What will be the time EST? The big question is will it be available on satelite and stream?
post #80 of 279
Central Europe Time. -6 hours

4:00am EST

Stevenote: T minus 10 days : 11 hours : 48 minutes

Screed (Chronomaster!!!)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Paris Expo 2003