or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › What to do about AO?

What to do about AO? - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
Fireside Chat was an experiment in bringing the heat away from AppleOutsider. Basically, political discussions or any hot-button issues were for Fireside Chat, and things like "What song are you listening to" or "Bunnies are soft" were meant for AppleOutsider.

Actually I really don't know why they closed it. Because it was too hard to moderate? Why not just leave it unmoderated? It would make AO a better place to talk about nice things.

You give the answer yourself. AO was reduced to kitty generation girl talk and fireside chat was reduced to one big insult to everybodies intelligence. The point must be to ensure a respectful debate culture about serious issues here at AO
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Fireside Chat was an experiment in bringing the heat away from AppleOutsider. Basically, political discussions or any hot-button issues were for Fireside Chat, and things like "What song are you listening to" or "Bunnies are soft" were meant for AppleOutsider.

Actually I really don't know why they closed it. Because it was too hard to moderate? Why not just leave it unmoderated? It would make AO a better place to talk about nice things.

Oh, thanks. Well it makes sense to have two fora imo. They should bring it back - part of the problem probably is that people who want to talk about bunnies and stuff are more sensitive and don't want to see "XXX is a **^$£@**!%-ing B***ardillo" all the time. I can understand that.

Maybe they can reinstate it but with the fluffy stuff in FC this time. Seems more in keeping - maybe they just got the labels wrong last time or something.

I say give it another go...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #43 of 75
Not a good idea
post #44 of 75
AO is a nice place when people are nice and produce their best (good debate, info or even fun), it becomes shitty when things degenerate. Moderators have not the power to clean this place, but only can prevent the debate to become too heated. Unmoderated forums have lead to scary results, and will be never experienced again on AI.

AO is a very difficult place to moderate, because discussions tend to turn into something very personnal. I will not moderate this place forever.
post #45 of 75
I think AO is fine the way it is. If you like "bunnies are soft" threads on click on those, if you like verbal wars and the occasional rational debate, then go nuts.

Personally I like my AO to be nice and fluffy so any thread that has anything about politics, religion or some other topic that is more likely than not to end up in flame war, I don't click on that link.

The only people that have any sort of obligation to read through every thread are the Mods.
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
The point must be to ensure a respectful debate culture about serious issues here at AO

And look how well that's turned out.

Let's face it. Fireside chat was created because the crap people were posting in AO had to go somewhere. Then it got worse. Then they folded FC back into AO, thinking that things would get better or at least under control. Things haven't gotten any better, and the inmates are running the asylum. There is no good solution to the pig slop that is AO. But we're in our element then, aren't we? \
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
So it seems like a lot of people think that AO have gone downhill in the last couple of monthsand have become a shithole. I can´t really tell the difference but probably its just me who are growing thicker skin.

But what can we do to make AO better? If it is going to be better only the users can do it.

So any idea how we could up the standarts here. Please discuss but please don´t use real AO examples because as you know it will end up in a discussion about members instead of the principles.

Return to the recent forum split where one can call each other names, and the other one where people are actually civil
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #48 of 75
AO is fine.

While we all need to avoid making personal attacks, we also need to give some leeway to other people's posts. By this I mean that we have to understand that anger will happen. Try to see beyond the anger and investigate if there is an idea worth understanding, addressing, and/or disputing in the post. Try to ignore the insults and see the ideas, if they are there.

I am far more worried about the quality of the ideas. And I think that by this measure, AO is actually a pretty good forum, as computer forums go.
tribalfusion?
tribalfusion?
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
AO is fine.

While we all need to avoid making personal attacks, we also need to give some leeway to other people's posts. By this I mean that we have to understand that anger will happen. Try to see beyond the anger and investigate if there is an idea worth understanding, addressing, and/or disputing in the post. Try to ignore the insults and see the ideas, if they are there.

I am far more worried about the quality of the ideas. And I think that by this measure, AO is actually a pretty good forum, as computer forums go.

indeed
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #50 of 75
Quote:
While we all need to avoid making personal attacks, we also need to give some leeway to other people's posts. By this I mean that we have to understand that anger will happen.

Even moreso since some members become particularly eloquent in their anger, making fisticuffs a very enjoyable pastime here at AO.

post #51 of 75

" Basically, political discussions or any hot-button issues were for Fireside Chat ...................

Actually I really don't know why they closed it. Because it was too hard to moderate? "

It was closed because it was bringing Ai into disrepute..Besides which..Fireside chats went out with Clinton...
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #52 of 75
C-Below

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire
It was closed because it was bringing Ai into disrepute..Besides which..Fireside chats went out with Clinton...

And you know this because? I don't remember you posting in Fireside Chat?
post #54 of 75
Bloody dyslexia...

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
And you know this because? I don't remember you posting in Fireside Chat?

Can you believe this..3rd Power outage in as many weeks..Just when was posting a reply ..

Der Kopf ...I had another name...." A.......D "

I never posted in chat..just visited & read....regularly...too regularly....Then I got swallowed up by a giant legal / accident battle....re car accident..hospital, operations etc etc.
Lots of bad bad stuff...

After all that finished I decided on a fresh start..with Ai
given that I not only was I unhappy with my handle..( it sounded so corny ) I also happened to lose ( couldn't remember ) my dammed password...in the interim...so I couldn't be bothered with it anymore...

But if your interested..I'll give you a clue to my name..it has to do with a certain fruit company...& something you find in that type of fruit.....& I became an Ai member April 2002...

Cheers Aqua

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #56 of 75
Quote:
While we all need to avoid making personal attacks, we also need to give some leeway to other people's posts. By this I mean that we have to understand that anger will happen.

At this point, seems that a fair number of posters are simply baiting and instigating. The topics and ideas never change, they're just an excuse to go after other instigators. Anger doesn't "just happen" here.
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
At this point, seems that a fair number of posters are simply baiting and instigating. The topics and ideas never change, they're just an excuse to go after other instigators. Anger doesn't "just happen" here.

Maybe we should take their Macs away from them and force them out into the cruel PeeCee world for a bit...

Kinda let them cool their heels...

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Maybe we should take their Macs away from them and force them out into the cruel PeeCee world for a bit...

Kinda let them cool their heels...

You think taking my Mac and making me use a PC would cool me off?

It would make most of us more pissed off than ever.

However the PC's could get viruses and then that would really "cool off"/END most discussion in AppleOutsider.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #59 of 75
I love reading the personal attacks. I swear, if the assholes in here start with a Lovey Huggy thing I'm going to start a riot. Keep the hate.

post #60 of 75
Quote:
I never posted in chat..just visited & read....regularly...too regularly....Then I got swallowed up by a giant legal / accident battle....re car accident..hospital, operations etc etc.
Lots of bad bad stuff...

I did not know that.
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
I love reading the personal attacks. I swear, if the assholes in here start with a Lovey Huggy thing I'm going to start a riot. Keep the hate.

I love you.
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
I love you.

Thou maketh me pyook.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot

Does a reach around count as a lovey huggy thing?

Nick

post #64 of 75
Quote:
But if your interested..I'll give you a clue to my name..it has to do with a certain fruit company...& something you find in that type of fruit.....& I became an Ai member April 2002...

AppleSeed?
post #65 of 75
Quote:
AppleSeed?

Aquafire is a much better name. AppleSeed is a little...fruity

I like aquafire. powerful and colorful. It's kind of got a little Hayao Miyazaki ring to it
post #66 of 75
Quote:
AppleSeed?

8)

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #67 of 75
Originally posted by giant

" Aquafire is a much better name. AppleSeed is a little...fruity

I like Aquafire. powerful and colorful.

It's kind of got a little Hayao Miyazaki ring to it "

Dammit.Giant !

You realize I'll have to change my opinion about you ?

Miyazaki is MY Hero of animation....

So thankyou for the compliment...

Its actually closer than you might realize as my paintings are deeply indebted to Japanese art..

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #68 of 75
AO just need more consistent moderation. When the cat's away the mice will play.
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
AO just need more consistent moderation. When the cat's away the mice will play.

Ao is pretty good compared to some of the backstabbing bitch fights I've seen on the internet...
Mainly women's blogs..about their menfolk or who's cheating on who..gossip gossip gossip..Meow..Meow..

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Ao is pretty good compared to some of the backstabbing bitch fights I've seen on the internet...
Mainly women's blogs..about their menfolk or who's cheating on who..gossip gossip gossip..Meow..Meow..

What are you doing on bords like that then Aqua eh ?????
post #71 of 75
I have the ultimate solution friends... I'm not kidding. Check it homies:

Leave AO as it is - religious threads, political threads, bunny fur, all of it. Two rules: no Apple-related commentary, no personal attacks. One warning, that's it.

Ban the user account on second offense. Sure, they could go to the trouble of getting a new email account and registering under a new name, but what a pain in the ass in the long run for the loser who can't control their emotions.

Add a new forum called "Napalm" - this forum has only one purpose and one rule: flame the crap out of whoever pisses you off, and no libel / slander, which would by definition require the use of a person's full, real name.

If your AI handle is your real name, submit a new one to the admin -- I believe handles can be changed from the Admin CP. And naturally, the standards for proving libel and slander are much higher for the likes of Kobe Bryant and George Bush (hint, hint).

Besides, venting is healthy.

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
I have the ultimate solution friends... I'm not kidding. Check it homies:

Leave AO as it is - religious threads, political threads, bunny fur, all of it. Two rules: no Apple-related commentary, no personal attacks. One warning, that's it.

Ban the user account on second offense. Sure, they could go to the trouble of getting a new email account and registering under a new name, but what a pain in the ass in the long run for the loser who can't control their emotions.

Add a new forum called "Napalm" - this forum has only one purpose and one rule: flame the crap out of whoever pisses you off, and no libel / slander, which would by definition require the use of a person's full, real name.

If your AI handle is your real name, submit a new one to the admin -- I believe handles can be changed from the Admin CP. And naturally, the standards for proving libel and slander are much higher for the likes of Kobe Bryant and George Bush (hint, hint).

Besides, venting is healthy.

Sounds great: bring it on !

Btw - would you get banned for being nice to people in the Napalm forum ?
post #73 of 75
No, because if someone makes a hilarious slam comment and other people laugh and say "good work!" that would qualify as "being nice". However, any feel-good theads will be locked instantaneously.

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
No, because if someone makes a hilarious slam comment and other people laugh and say "good work!" that would qualify as "being nice". However, any feel-good theads will be locked instantaneously.

Obviously the mods would need to be hand-picked for being the inverse of what mods normally should be and capable of rigidly enforcing nastiness of all descriptions.....

Anyone we know with the right qualifications ?
post #75 of 75
Originally posted by segovius
What are you doing on boards like that then Aqua eh ?????

And you've never ever wanted to know the answer to the age olde question posed bythe father of psychology Ziggumund Froide..?

" Vee haz put ze men on ze moon,

but ze eternal kwestion remainz un-unserd....

....Vat Doo Vimen Vant ?

Vat doo Doo Vimen Fink abowt al dey ? "

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › What to do about AO?