or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › A sign! A sign of the Tablet! (Yeah, right...)

A sign! A sign of the Tablet! (Yeah, right...)

post #1 of 33
Once this would have gotten me excited:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/pantherdeveloper.html

Ink Services: Apple is introducing a new Ink Services API in Panther so that developers can take advantage of Ink input for their applications and integrate Ink further into their software. Using the API, developers can put together customized Ink solutions such as lists of alternate word interpretations and direct manipulation of text using Ink gestures. Apple also notes in its developer documentation that Panther's Ink recognition engine supports English, French, and German.

Now, I just kinda go, 'Yeah, right; right after the New Cube."

Of course, I've just noticed Bluetooth icons on my machine that didn't seem to be there just a moment before....

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #2 of 33
Isn't that Inkwell?
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
Isn't that Inkwell?

Inkwell was/is the Newton handwriting recognition (from the MP2000 that worked perfectly for me-even better than Graffitti does today).

I think that they're talking about an API that's about getting handwritten ASCII'd text into various applications.

Hell, who'd want that? That would suck. Yes, I'm against it.

D'you hear, Steve Jobs? I'm against it! Don't release an Apple Tablet! Keep the technology buried in Cupertino! Hunch over the Proprietary Data (Don't let anyone else see it!) and laugh, laugh maniacally every now and then! My deity is the keyboard! I can't conceive of any other method of data entry! Humanity likes entering spreadsheet data with keypads!

Aries 1B
Now Firmly and Finally Dead Set Against The Tablet.
post #4 of 33
heh...I just came here to post about this. While I didn't think 'TABLET!', I do think it is interesting that Apple continues to improve inkwell. By providing this API, any program can tie into inkwell (or the ink API) to use it as an input method. I think this is a longterm project, Apple sees alternate methods of working with a computer coming, not just working at a keyboard. They now have a good working API...it is a good move, but one that wont really be appreciated for some time, I think.
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
Hell, who'd want that? That would suck. Yes, I'm against it. Keep the technology buried in Cupertino! Hunch over the Proprietary Data (Don't let anyone else see it!) and laugh, laugh maniacally every now and then! My deity is the keyboard! I can't conceive of any other method of data entry! Humanity likes entering spreadsheet data with keypads!

Aries 1B
Now Firmly and Finally Dead Set Against The Tablet.

Great post. I especially like your "My deity is the keyboard!"

I used to think that the AI wonks that think typing is the only way to interact with computers were just keyboard-centric types who wrote code and visited geek fora. I assumed that they totally missed the irony of the hours they spend in games-land WITHOUT a keyboard (yes, a mouse and joystick are also input devices). But I find that the vehemence they show in giving statistics in words/minute of typing vs. writing, just ineffectively masks a simple hubris. A hubris similar to the way some unix folks look down on Mac OSX just because it is accessible and useful to people outside their own demographic.

Keyboardless computing will come....and they who do it right will make alot of money. This isn't a matter of opinion, just a matter of time. And yes, keyboards will still be the most efficient way of entering text and debugging code...it just aint everything...ya git it?!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #6 of 33
I played with Inkwell last year at MWNY and it was pretty much the handwriting recognition engine from Newton OS 2.1. I remember looking everywhere for a demonstration of it and they didn't want to give me one.

When I asked a bunch of questions about it, they denied it being the same engine and that all Newton OS technology was 'dead' and this was written from scratch'. I scribbled Rosetta Rosetta Rosetta on the Wacom pad and it popped up with the 'Hey, that's me!' message.

Real smooth.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran441
I played with Inkwell last year at MWNY and it was pretty much the handwriting recognition engine from Newton OS 2.1. I remember looking everywhere for a demonstration of it and they didn't want to give me one.

When I asked a bunch of questions about it, they denied it being the same engine and that all Newton OS technology was 'dead' and this was written from scratch'. I scribbled Rosetta Rosetta Rosetta on the Wacom pad and it popped up with the 'Hey, that's me!' message.

Real smooth.

Your writing must be horrible. If i print and try to write just a SLIGHT bit nicer then normal it works perfectly. (it also helps to configure it to yourself)
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #8 of 33
I think Fran is referring to an old easter egg in the Newton's HWR.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #9 of 33
I've been coming to this board, mostly silently, for well over 3 years, and all I have to say is this: you idiots are still yacking about a tablet?
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
I think Fran is referring to an old easter egg in the Newton's HWR.

haha...ahh would make more sense

*crawls back into his hole if indignity*
post #11 of 33
No kidding a tablet without a keyboard is retarded and none of you except the one token person who is a nurse or inventory personnel would use or need it. Just wait for the laptops to have touchscreens and full hinges.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by PookJP
I've been coming to this board, mostly silently, for well over 3 years, and all I have to say is this: you idiots are still yacking about a tablet?

Oh, not me! Nosirree!

Lurk away and attack any and all mention of the false god- The Apple Tablet; I'm right there with you.

I mean, I used to write heartfelt and sincere posts (prayers?) about the T-t-tablet, but I'm c-cured of it, d'yhear? No more will I waste your (and the other 600+ lured lurkers') lurking time with posts posted with the Pavlovian stimulus 'Tablet'. You know, the word 'Tablet' that sends used to send those 600+ folks who form the iceberg tip of the non-tablet-market descending into the depths of whatever thread (even this cynically titled one) that sports the sweet, seductive, ohsoluscious word Tablet.

Withdrawal is a b-b-b-bit- uh, mightytough.

Aries 1B
Really, Firmly, Certainly, Finally (I can't do it! ) Dead Set Against Even The Idea, The Very Mention, of An Apple Tablet

(Off Topic: Hey, look! vB Code! Italics, Bold, Underline, Special Effects and everything!)

(edited for parenthesis and heart-felt sincere-ness)
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
No kidding a tablet without a keyboard is retarded and none of you except the one token person who is a nurse or inventory personnel would use or need it. Just wait for the laptops to have touchscreens and full hinges.

A tablet is a laptop with touchscreen and no keyboard. No more and no less. Guess what? You can get keyboards and they have USB ports for them too!

You have made my above point perfectly.
You just think ANY computer without a keyboard is retarded. Get over it. Don't you guys realize how much you sound like like the old DOS nerds who couldn't understand why people thought using a mouse was an elegant input device? "I can do everything from the command line and its sooo much faster. [snort]"

Tablets won't replace laptops anymore than computers replaced TV's. Tablets won't need to. The MS tablet is NOT the tablet of which we speak.

And yes a perfectly implemented laptop with a hinge to get the keyboard out of the way would be just peachy too!
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic

Sing it, Brother!

Nor will you thousands of plant and field engineers, tens of thousands of traveling salespeople, or millions of reclining couch potatoes ever need the convenience of one handed, standing or reclining data entry, or direct entry sketching, or any of the banned, Newtonian features that worked so agonizingly beautifully well on the non-computer formerly known as the Newton (note to mods: You need to find a way to automatically ban the word "Newton" from the boards so that no one will ever be conned, misled, nay, decieved into thinking that the Newton ever worked!)

Aries 1B
The Palm is the Apple PDA. The Apple PDA is the Palm. The Palm has always been the Apple PDA.
Graffitti is all that I need. I don't want anymore than what Graffitti offers. Graffitti is the Alpha and Omega of handwriting recognition. Outside of Graffitti, there is nothing at all....

(edited for a typo.)
post #15 of 33
Do you guys realize how "Life of Brian" we all sound?

The shoe!

"No! Follow the Gourd! The Holy Gourd of Jerusalem!"

Give me your shoes!

or:

The Tablet!

"No! Follow the Rotating, Flipping, Folding Keyboard! The Holy Rotating, Flipping, Folding Keyboard of Cupertino!"

Give me a Tablet!

The Tablet is a false prophet! Follow the G5 Powerbook!

(Alleliuia! Alleliuia!)

And they went unto the land of the Francs, into the city of the Francs, where they found a simple, simply dressed man in jeans, sneakers, and black turtle necked shirt.

And they pleaded with him. This one for a G5 Powerbook. That one for a laptop with a Rotating, Flipping, Folding Keyboard. This one for a G5 Cube. And over there, huddled in a corner, a perennially disappointed fool (whom, truth be told, had spent too much time at Clavius Moonbase and had lost sight of everything except his unceasing quest for an Apple Tablet).

They all pleaded until the ears of the world were filled. Until finally, He raised His hands to silence the throng. The multitude waited with baited breath for Him to speak.
post #16 of 33
You know what if you don't need a tablet then why are you complaining.

Apple will still come out with a portable. No one ever said that they wanted the tablet to replace the laptop. Rather, it is an alternative to the standard laptop.

I have used Apple computers for a loooooooooong time now (sense 1980). I have 3 Macs in my house that form my production studio and code writing system. I even worked as a student rep for Apple back in college many years ago.

But I went out an purchased a M$ based tablet PC. Why would I do such a thing? Because I wanted the freedom to draw and write what I was working on.

It sounds like most of you don't use or even want to use an application like Alias | Wavefront (Ooops! just Alias now) SketchBook Pro.

This is a truly awesome application of tablet technology. It gives me the freedom to have a true virtual sketchbook that really works.

But beyond that I don't have to worry about the keyboard and mouse when I am doing things like moving data around on the desktop and so forth. It is direct and visual interaction. No secondary input via a mouse or keyboard.

The biggest drawback to this entire M$ based tablet computer is the hand writing recognition. It doesn't work, even in the apps that happen to support it.

I once used the innovative little black clad green screened computer that launched a new market segment. And you know what, the hand writing recognition actually worked. I didn't have to learn a new input method or try to remember an interpretation of roman characters that is none user friendly for people like my grandmother.

I still use my keyboard to write code and documents, like this email. I use my mouse for things like 3D modeling and CAD work (just because the hand gets in the way for these tasks). But the simplicity of direct input on a tablet that is configure properly is hard to beat. If such input methods don't work then why are companies like Wacom still in business today?

The tablet computer has a long time before it would replace a standard laptop. But for people who need such a device it is a glorious thing. I am one of the many artist / engineers that would warmly welcome a Mac OS based tablet computer. Just because some of you might not need, or see the value, in such a computer, there are many of us who do. Inkwell is a wonderful and appropriate starting point for Apple's first steps in the tablet direction. I for one hope that they do come out with one in the next few years and that they support applications like Alias SketchBook Pro.

- I am the G in the S.

"All these moments are lost in time..... like.... tears in the rain."
post #17 of 33
I think a tablet would be a good thing; M$ Tablet PC's are out and I bet Apple could make a device that's much better (also don't forget how good they are at tiny laptops) and it could even have a foldable keyboard like some Tablet PC's have now. And perhaps they could make it [the keyboard] detachable easily - an Apple Innovation(Tm). They could also integrate a DSL or cable modem; with an "iTablet", you don't want a bulky external modem. Also, optional 54Mbps wireless, and they could target a low-end model at the home user. I think that's a good idea, and a rather open market (MS focuses the Tablet mostly on businesses.)
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
A tablet is a laptop with touchscreen and no keyboard. No more and no less. Guess what? You can get keyboards and they have USB ports for them too!

On the laptop front I could agree with you.
Quote:
You just think ANY computer without a keyboard is retarded. Get over it. Don't you guys realize how much you sound like like the old DOS nerds who couldn't understand why people thought using a mouse was an elegant input device? "I can do everything from the command line and its sooo much faster. [snort]"

Tablet or not, the fastest known way to input text is through a keyboard (I exclude scanning printed text). If you never use any word processors and speak English, French or German, Inkwell tech might be more than you need (since no one of you game zealots, keyboard-haters ever needs to write anything at all).

A computer without a keyboard is a play station.

A touch screen, on the other hand, is a pointing divice of the near future. At least every time I work with a client or manager or disigner, they use my monitor exactly as a touch screen.
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by G in the S
But I went out an purchased a M$ based tablet PC.

Oh— so you're the one. Bill G. wants to personally thank you.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #20 of 33
There's an interesting and quite futuristic article about how we could use computers in the future, written by Mark Weiser, former Xerox PARC director. Read it here. Although the article is very long, it's fun to read it and it shows that pen-based data-input has a huge potential in the long term.

Excerpt: "Ubiquitous computers will also come in different sizes, each suited to a particular task. My colleagues and I have built what we call tabs, pads and boards: inch-scale machines that approximate active Post-It notes, foot-scale ones that behave something like a sheet of paper (or a book or a magazine), and yard-scale displays that are the equivalent of a blackboard or bulletin board.

How many tabs, pads, and board-sized writing and display surfaces are there in a typical room? Look around you: at the inch scale include wall notes, titles on book spines, labels on controls, thermostats and clocks, as well as small pieces of paper. Depending upon the room you may see more than a hundred tabs, ten or twenty pads, and one or two boards. This leads to our goals for initially deploying the hardware of embodied virtuality: hundreds of computers per room."
[put some sophisticated stuff here to make yourself seem more intelligent]
post #21 of 33
Something more: All this tablet discussion has focussed on pen-based TEXT input. But the pen does allow a lot more: It is a quite good replacement for a mouse/trackball/trackpad (remember how long it took until you were used to your laptops' trackpad first?), especially when on the road. Furthermore, like on the Newton, we would use much more the painting abilities.

So whether Apple shows up with TabletMacs/TouchScreen-PowerBooks or not, it is a good move to implement the Ink(well) technology deeply in the system. What comes out if pen technology is only implemented half-hearted, you can see at M$. Guess Apple will do it better.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by costique
On the laptop front I could agree with you.
Tablet or not, the fastest known way to input text is through a keyboard (I exclude scanning printed text). If you never use any word processors and speak English, French or German, Inkwell tech might be more than you need (since no one of you game zealots, keyboard-haters ever needs to write anything at all).

Again for those who can't READ English....It doesn't matter that the keyboard is "the fastest known way to input text..." We all understand that. We all agree to that. We all KNOW that. I will always use a keyboard for TEXT! Now take a deep breath and try to be honest and think outside your own personal geek demographic. TEXT is not EVERYTHING! TEXT INPUT is not EVERYTHING. COMPUTING does not REQUIRE TEXT!

Games; websurfing; iPods and music; QuickTime and multimedia, and now even iChating don't REQUIRE text!

Quote:
A computer without a keyboard is a play station.

.... and an iPod and a pda and a TiVo and a multimedia player and a Wacom pad and a ....

Quote:
A touch screen, on the other hand, is a pointing divice of the near future. At least every time I work with a client or manager or disigner, they use my monitor exactly as a touch screen.

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzmac
Something more: All this tablet discussion has focussed on pen-based TEXT input. But the pen does allow a lot more: It is a quite good replacement for a mouse/trackball/trackpad (remember how long it took until you were used to your laptops' trackpad first?), especially when on the road. Furthermore, like on the Newton, we would use much more the painting abilities.

Exactly.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by G in the S
It sounds like most of you don't use or even want to use an application like Alias | Wavefront (Ooops! just Alias now) SketchBook Pro.

...I for one hope that they do come out with one in the next few years and that they support applications like Alias SketchBook Pro.

Uh, a Wacom Cintiq running off of a new G5 would run SketchBook Pro just fine, if Alias actually ports it to OS X...

Along with being useful in Shake, Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro; well, you get the idea...

But I think that Apple WILL eventually produce a tablet design, to replace the iBook...

Can you say educational market? Can you say vertical growth?

Knew you could!

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #25 of 33
forget about an apple tablet,it aint gonna happen.
i dont care how "cool" an apple tablet would be there needs to be a compelling reason for apple to build one.
in case you havent noticed apple isnt into "me too" type products.
unless a tablet bring some new until now unforseen application/need to the table why would apple do it.
this is such a bad idea its not even funny.
thats why apple hasnt gotten back into the PDA market because they know it would be a bad idea.
im tired of hearing about this tablet thing.
now if apple were to say make the ibooks more "tablet like" would not be such a bad idea,but it would not be such a huge innovative thing.
no more "me too" type products.
unless your truly gonna innovate:forgetaboutit!
THINK DIFFERENT!
post #26 of 33
Quote:
i dont care how "cool" an apple tablet would be there needs to be a compelling reason for apple to build one.

How's this for compelling: Everything else on the market right now sucks.

Quote:

Right, like there were no MP3 players on the market before Apple introduced the iPod (hint, hint).

Quote:
thats why apple hasnt gotten back into the PDA market because they know it would be a bad idea.

No, Apple won't go back into the PDA market because of Jobs hatred for Scully. The Newton was Scully's baby, and any new Apple PDA will invariably be compared with the Newton. Jobs doesn't want to be seen as following in Scully's footsteps, nor does he want to admit Scully actually had a good idea...

Quote:

Then don't read threads with "tablet" in the title... Simple problem, simple solution.

Quote:

In case you haven't noticed, a whole slew of Apple's products are "me too" products. iSight. iPod. FCP. DVDSP. Keynote. Endnote. The "i" apps. NONE of them were first to market, but all of them are head & shoulders above what's come before. There's no reason why Apple couldn't do the same damn thing for a tablet or even a PDA.
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by geekmeet
forget about an apple tablet,it aint gonna happen.
unless a tablet bring some new until now unforseen application/need to the table why would apple do it.
this is such a bad idea its not even funny.
now if apple were to say make the ibooks more "tablet like" would not be such a bad idea,but it would not be such a huge innovative thing.
unless your truly gonna innovate:forgetaboutit!
THINK DIFFERENT!

Bumping this back up just to piss geekmeet and others off!

Oh, and Apple hasn't gotten into the pda market because it doesn't need to...yet. What was the "compelling reason" for the iSight? You didn't know there was one until Apple made it. It was to make videoconferencing an EASY, ELEGANT and COMPELLING experience for consumers. If Apple can do the same for pda's and tablets and videoPods, they should do it. If they can't, they shouldn't. It isn't about being "me too" it isn't about what YOU think is "compelling" it is about making Macs the BEST digital hub in the world. A well designed tablet would help do that.

Anti-tablet trolls are almost as bad as PC trolls....
post #28 of 33
No trolling, but...

I just don't get the hype over tablets. A tablet is a computing device after all and in this sense fits in the same broad category as desktops, laptops and PDAs. Consider their purpose and typical usage:

Desktops any type of tasks. The only drawback is immobility.
Laptops any type of tasks except for the most computing-intensive ones; plus mobility. Some restrictions arise, though.
PDAs very restricted range of computing tasks. The greatest advantage is that you can put it in your pocket. They imply that you'd better have a fully functional PC, too.
Tablets lighter than laptops, which are mobile computers in themselves; bigger than PDAs so they won't fit into your pocket. More restricted than laptops (less screen real estate, no keyboard; say what you will but the lack of a keyboard is a restriction rather than an advantage). Worse than PDAs because of their size.

What is it you need a tablet for, which you can't do with a PDA? Modern PDAs are very good and in a couple of years they will be capable of running more software than you need on the road. Their screens are very small, though, but otherwise they lose their strongest point: palm size.
Laptops are really impressive these days and when they get touch screens flippable over the keyboard as a standard feature, along with being fully-functional computers they will simply leave no space for tablets.

Imagine you need a portable and you can choose between a 12" notebook with a flippable touch-screen and a similarly powerful 8" tablet. None of them is small enough for your pockets. Both fit in your case. One is fully functional, the other is not. Here comes the price factor. Right now you can get a decently crappy notebook for $800 and a good PDA for $350 (approximate US prices). In some 2 years they will be $500 and $200. A tablet will have to be priced between these, i.e. tablet vs notebook price difference will be even less. I don't think that the price alone will be a major factor since both figures are affordable even for schoolgirls. However, tablets may ultimately be more prestigeous than PDAs and notebooks, which may be their best selling point.

All I meant to say is that the potential tablet market range between notebooks and PDAs will get squeezed as mini technologies advance. I don't insist on anything while I just can't imagine Apple seriously betting money on costly projects with little (function over style) future.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
Ink Services: Apple is introducing a new Ink Services API in Panther so that developers can take advantage of Ink input for their applications and integrate Ink further into their software. Using the API, developers can put together customized Ink solutions such as lists of alternate word interpretations and direct manipulation of text using Ink gestures. Apple also notes in its developer documentation that Panther's Ink recognition engine supports English, French, and German.

Nobody seems to be addressing Aries' point...

Why would Apple be doing this API development if they weren't building a Tablet...?

There can't be that many people with Wacoms out there can there? I don't know anybody with a Wacom who isn't a professional graphic artist, and these APIs are to do with things that graphic artists don't really need.

For Apple to devote the personnel to implementing and documenting the API, surely there has to be more reason than "Let's throw in this nice feature for people who happen to have an Intuos lying around."

Of course, it could be a giant red herring to make a certain William Gates wake up in a cold sweat, dreading the moment that Jobs get up on stage to unveil a sleek product that makes Gates' Tablet PC offering look like Fisher-Price crayon set.

I want to believe a Mac Tablet is on its way.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelb
Nobody seems to be addressing Aries' point...

Why would Apple be doing this API development if they weren't building a Tablet...?

I agree with Aquatic who said earlier, Just wait for the laptops to have touchscreens and full hinges. iBooks may well get touchscreens, though it's pure speculation.
post #31 of 33
Oi vey! Again with da friggin tablets?

NO. Not yet. If Apple is good at anything it's making mainstream (affordable and proven) tech into a useable solution. Tablet tech is NOT mainstream, Tablet PC isn't doing very well, isn't very affordable, and the jury is still out as to it's reliability/durability. Touchscreen iBook? NO. Touchscreens add cost. iBooks need to be cheap. The technology isn't really there yet, not for a company like Apple to swoop in and make a few key changes/decisions that are needed to transform tablets from neat idea to a useful device (at a reasonable cost!)

But we're also a lot closer than we've ever been to making a practical tablet computer. Apple might be first, but they won't do it untill they can do it right and sell a bunch.

What's more interesting is subnote technology. From where I sit, it looks like Apple may be able to get a 12" PB down to 3.5-3 lbs while keeping it "full featured" (ie, no external batteries or drives, just the same package but thinner and lighter still.) When you get down to the 3lb range, slapping a rotating hinge on the lid and specifying a touch screen isn't so hard. Use some sort of Xwide (Sony picturebook) format screen so that the footprint is basically the keyboard and little else, and you have a great small subnote with a real keyboard, and a tablet function.

To really make a useful tablet, though, you have to get the size down to an A5 footprint and the weight down to 1.5lbs or so, just like a trade paperback book. 1.8" HDD's will help, cooler CPU's will help, improved battery and screen technology will help. But it wouldn't be cheap, AT ALL! And even when you can spec all that stuff you need to make it right and for a semi reasonable price, you still need to solve the small screen-big res-squinty eye resolution problem. When web designers/protocols allow true resolution independence, then you can have a real tablet, after all the component costs drop.

Short version: closer, but still a long way off. They're thinking about it, I'm sure, working on it, but not for anyone to buy any time soon ("soon" being a relative term in computer years).
IBL!
IBL!
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelb

Why would Apple have developed voice control of their computers if they weren't building a keyboardless or mouseless desktop computer?

(Still trying to figure that one out, even though their voice control solution has been around for ten years...)

-- Mark
Mark R. Wilkins
Author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
Mark R. Wilkins
Author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_wilkins
Why would Apple have developed voice control of their computers if they weren't building a keyboardless or mouseless desktop computer?

(Still trying to figure that one out, even though their voice control solution has been around for ten years...)

-- Mark

Because EVERY Mac has a mic and can use voice control. Graphics tablets are not mass market devices, and I've never seen Apple create APIs for 3rd party products before. Generic drivers, yes, but a public API is different.

No, if an Ink API exists (and it does) Apple wants to stimulate 3rd party Ink support. This can only mean a device supporting pen input. While it may just be an iGraph rebranded Graphire, I hope its a proper tablet (not a Laplet).
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › A sign! A sign of the Tablet! (Yeah, right...)