or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Easier to read.

Easier to read.

post #1 of 28
Dear mods have a look at this site you will notice that when ever someone quotes an earlier post it is in a slightly smaller font. I am not sure what else is different, is it the font? But the posts are much easier to read.

It is nearly two years since this site was re-launched and I think that tweeking the appearence would not be a bad thing. I always have a lot of trouble reading posts because of the colour screen on my iMac DV+ but the problem is much less on the LCD iMacs.

I think you should consider the colour scheme used by the Palm site as it works very well.

Addison.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #2 of 28
Originally posted by Addison

"Dear mods have a look at this "LINK " you will notice that when ever someone quotes an earlier post it is in a slightly smaller font...... Addison. "

I think this is already
possible....
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #3 of 28
Rest assured, we are looking into it.
post #4 of 28
The colors are definitely staying the same. We've had too many people compliment us on it being "perfect" to want to mess with it too much. It's easy on the eyes, not too bright, not too dark. It's an excellent scheme for reading long blocks of text at lengths of time.

The size of the quoted text, however, is something we'll take into consideration.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
The size of the quoted text, however, is something we'll take into consideration.

Testing...
post #6 of 28
YAY I PASSED THE TEST!

Satisfactory?
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
YAY I PASSED THE TEST!

Satisfactory?

Beautiful.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #8 of 28
Can we split the difference? I'm finding that the quotes are just a tad too small, and subsequently hard to read.

Maybe the powers that be can bump it up a point size?

(1600x1200 19"screen AI member)
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #9 of 28
Well, for what it's worth I dig it the most. Amazing how just a slight decrease in point size on quote replies and so forth makes for such easier reading! I've seen this approach used at other sites, but it never occurred to me to request it here.

Keep it. Breaks things up nicely and makes scanning through threads easier.
post #10 of 28
Hopefully now whenever anybody quotes a 9 paragraph essay just to reply with "Hey good point, postCount++" it will scroll by faster... I think it looks very clean too.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
Hopefully now whenever anybody quotes a 9 paragraph essay just to reply with "Hey good point, postCount++" it will scroll by faster... I think it looks very clean too.

Yeah, I like it a lot

postcount++
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #12 of 28
I don't like it. I have trouble reading my screen as it is (and have a 14" iBook for that reason). So even with "text bigger" a few times in Safari, I still have to peer too hard. Please think of those with the lesser eyes, rather than a subjectively perceived feeling of aesthetics.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
aesthetics

...aesthetics which, moreover, have plummeted with this move, though that is just my opinion.
post #14 of 28
Could it just be a little bigger? I have a 15" Studio Display at 1024x768, and its a little hard to read.

Then again, maybe if my eyes are that bad I need glasses.
post #15 of 28
Agreed.
It's too small.
post #16 of 28
Get glasses or just use Safari to make the text bigger. Looks good Brad!
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Man 020581
Get glasses or just use Safari to make the text bigger. Looks good Brad!

Done and done. Still too small.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
Done and done. Still too small.

Well, then you need an eye exam and a new prescription on those glasses.
post #19 of 28
Look, we can't please all the people all the time... and all of those people are AI members apparently
post #20 of 28
Seriously, I love the idea of having quotes a bit smaller, but could we not just bump up the font size 1 measly point? It is too small, no matter what all you 800x600 newbies think.
post #21 of 28
I sit approximately 26" away from a 17.3" widescreen display running at 1600x1024. I also wear glasses. Currently, I'm not wearing my glasses, and I can read the type.

Maybe I'm just crazy cool like that though...
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
Seriously, I love the idea of having quotes a bit smaller, but could we not just bump up the font size 1 measly point? It is too small, no matter what all you 800x600 newbies think.

At 1024x768 I can read the quotes, and at 1600x1200 too.
post #23 of 28
Damn. Now I switch from Camino to Safari and the quotes are much more legible and even a bit bigger...WTF is up with that?
post #24 of 28
post #25 of 28
Hey, if Safari didn't turn every 'odd' character into a virtual scribble, I'd be using it exclusively.

I hate beta software.

(nice comparison BTW alcimedes)
post #26 of 28
I like the change, personally, but perhaps it can be an option in the UserCP? Too much hacking, maybe, but it should be doable.

Brad, you up to some more vB hacking?
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash I sit approximately 26" away from a 17.3" widescreen display running at 1600x1024...

I PM'ed you earlier but never heard back: what brand/model is this monitor of yours, if you don't mind? LCD, I assume?

I was poking around one night, seeking out 17-18" widescreen (16:10) LCD displays.

Or are you on one of those Compaq or Toshiba models, running that Squintronic resolution Matsu loves so much?

I'd very much love to to find an 18" widescreen at a resolution somewhere between Apple's 17" iMac and their 20" Cinema Display...for a cheaper price than Apple's (in case I get a 12" PowerBook without DVI).
post #28 of 28
Yeah, I sent you an email, but it bounced because I attached a screenshot of my desktop with it I'll put that online for you if you still want it...

Mine is a Silicon Graphics 1600SW. The original
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Easier to read.