or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Who is buying a new PowerBook?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who is buying a new PowerBook? - Page 2

post #41 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by cooop
Please don't follow that MOSR mentality. DP laptops aren't coming for quite a while, me thinks.

Please refrain from quoting me and MOSR in the same thread


...and no one thought Apple would have went right to a 1GHz FSB (from 167MHz) and DDR400 in one step, so anything is possible.

But you may be right, DP's may have to wait til 0.09µ chips....
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
post #42 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc
Please refrain from quoting me and MOSR in the same thread


...and no one thought Apple would have went right to a 1GHz FSB (from 167MHz) and DDR400 in one step, so anything is possible.

But you may be right, DP's may have to wait til 0.09µ chips....

Speaking of chips, has anyone heard an update on whether or not IBM will be skipping the 0.09 and going straight to 0.06? I wonder at what point that decision will need to be made.

From what I understand, because .06 is within reach, IBM figures it costs too much to refit the manfacuring process to handle .09 for such a short amount of time before refitting again for the .06's. The downside is of course the longer delay until .06 chips are available.

Personally, I ate .09 pounds of corn chips last night and I'm trying to move to .06 and having a hell of a time. Stupid Fritos and their honey barbeque twists....

----------------
RosettaStoned
post #43 of 340
I really hope the 15" doesn't cost more then $2000 in it's standard config. Hopefully there wouldn't be a price increase and I could get my edu discount so I could upgrade the RAM, HD and grab an airport card! Haha but what are the chances?


What is the deal with the G5's...did they cost more or less then the previous g4's when they came out?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #44 of 340
Quote:
Please refrain from quoting me and MOSR in the same thread.

My sincerest apologies. It's just MOSR has mentioned dual-processor PowerBooks in nearly every single update since August of last year (before the 17") and I'm starting to get very tired of listening to that crap. And yet I keep returning. What's wrong with me?
post #45 of 340
"Who is buying a new Powerbook?"

lol, who isnt?
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
Reply
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
Reply
post #46 of 340
I'm supposed to wait until January to get my book for college so my FAFSA says I have $3000 less at that moment. But if I can assure myself that they won't put out another even miniscule update by then, then I'm getting 15" SuperDrive, FCX, iPod (hopefully), maybe a ext HD so I have space for video and easier move up to a G5 PB.
post #47 of 340
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by blackwind212
"Who is buying a new Powerbook?"

lol, who isnt?

Boy, the Apple Store is going to be crushed with orders tomorrow. It's like pent up sexual energy. Release!!!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #48 of 340
Quote:
Speaking of chips, has anyone heard an update on whether or not IBM will be skipping the 0.09 and going straight to 0.06? I wonder at what point that decision will need to be made.

I forgot what web site I was reading, but I am almost posotive it was somewhere on IBM's site. I read that IBM is well on it's way on the .06 architecture and they aren't going to even bother with the .09 chip. They are going to dedicate their resources toward the .06 chip and it shouldn't be too long til we see it in apple's desktops. I'll try to post the site soon.
life's too short, so live it up.
Reply
life's too short, so live it up.
Reply
post #49 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
That said, who is buying whatever is announced? What are you buying? The 12-inch? The 15-inch? The 17-inch? Nothing? iPod?

I'm likely to fall for a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook, provided that it comes with a PPC 7457. That is, unless the 15-inch is so attractive that I can't resist. But I'll reserve judgment (and purchase) until tomorrow.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #50 of 340
I don't need a computer right now because I'm stll living at home as I go to school. So I don't need my own. I'm holding out for the G5 PB, I'll have to wait a while, but I've had a job for a long time, so I'll have a lot more money saved up by than that I can spend on the worlds best notebook!
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Reply
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Reply
post #51 of 340
I think I'm going to hold off til January to buy myself a 15". I don't have the cash right now & maybe this Xmas season will see some nice discounts...
post #52 of 340
15" in a month or so (need to save). Hopefully with a superdrive.
post #53 of 340
15" PowerBook or Power Mac G5 1.6... can anyone help me in my dilemma?
post #54 of 340
I ordered a 1.25 Ghz 15" last night/this morning,
It still hasn't shipped yet.
post #55 of 340
i want one, i want one bad.....fingers itching, hovering over the mouse button....the machine configured..15", it is...ready to click the buy button..wait..let's check the wallet first..EMPTY!!!! .. dejected..rejected.. clicks on cancel button instead..
iMac G4 800
Reply
iMac G4 800
Reply
post #56 of 340
JUST BOUGHT MINE!!! WOOHOO!!! 15' combo drive w/AirPort Extreme...

should be coming in Friday. Also threw in a 10GB iPod for my younger brother...


On the related note, I did not buy AppleCare. Anyone has any opinion(s) on it? I am debating b/c I will be studying in Japan in the Spring...

Thanks
post #57 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by PSU guy
JUST BOUGHT MINE!!! WOOHOO!!! 15' combo drive w/AirPort Extreme...

should be coming in Friday. Also threw in a 10GB iPod for my younger brother...


On the related note, I did not buy AppleCare. Anyone has any opinion(s) on it? I am debating b/c I will be studying in Japan in the Spring...

Thanks

I didn't get it and am going to just hope for the best. I figure after a year, any hardware defects would show themselves and anything after that would just be me being an ass.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #58 of 340
i couldnt resist the additional landscape of the 17 in...

configured pretty closely with edu discount the 17 in was only 318 dollars more than the 15 in. So I figured since 1500 of it was paid for by my grad school I would step into the behemouth.
post #59 of 340
I'm ready to order it...I'm just wondering...should I wait for the PBG5? I have a 12.1 iBook 800 to serve my purposes, but I want portable video editing so bad...but I have a Dual Gig MDD with a Superdrive...damn I wish there was a PBG5. I sold my TiBook a few weeks ago in anticipation of getting a new Al 15". Now the questions are 512MB RAM on 1 sodimm or 2, 80GB 4200RPM or 80 GB 5400RPM. Decisions decisions....anyone else have any advice? I might wait to see some benchmarks.
post #60 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
I'm ready to order it...I'm just wondering...should I wait for the PBG5? I have a 12.1 iBook 800 to serve my purposes, but I want portable video editing so bad...but I have a Dual Gig MDD with a Superdrive...damn I wish there was the a PBG5. Now the questions are 512MB RAM on 1 sodimm or 2, 80GB 4200RPM or 80 GB 5400RPM. Decisions decisions....anyone else have any advice? I might wait to see some benchmarks.

always, and this is not an over generalization, cram as much ram as you can get into one chip. If you figure that you will be upgrading it at some future point then an additional piece of ram has to go somewhere (ie. it would be a waste to take one out)...

Do you need portable video editing?

If not can you wait up to two years before the g5 finds its way into the powerbook?
post #61 of 340
Ah...needs and wants...lol. I need to surpress that voice inside that says "you have to have the best out there" I don't NEED portable video editing at the moment, but my production company is starting up and we are getting a flood of clients, so it would certainly help...and I was definitely going to cram at LEAST 512MB into one slot. My TiBook had 1 GB and that worked great with FCP, I can't imagine how one twice as fast will do it. Still thinkin though...
post #62 of 340
G5 1.6 GHz or PowerBook 15" G4 1GHz?
post #63 of 340
i will buy the combo 15"(no backlit keyboard though!!!!!!!!)why?
post #64 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by axdigital
i will buy the combo 15"(no backlit keyboard though!!!!!!!!)why?

Add it for $69 US
post #65 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
Add it for $69 US

ya i just noticed that too. under the keyboard menu
post #66 of 340
I'm going to be picking up either the base 15 or 17, won't be till the end of the year though. I want Panther to be shipped with the pb, and I have to save up for it still anyway lol.
"I'll either make this world a better place or bring it to its ruin. Destiny will determine that"
Reply
"I'll either make this world a better place or bring it to its ruin. Destiny will determine that"
Reply
post #67 of 340
Well, I've decided to go with the new 1.25GHz model rather than picking up a 1GHz TiBook. Partly because, as I sit here typing, my 667 keeps dropping the AirPort signal...

I can't make up my mind, however, if I should just go get one at the store, or order online and take advantage of the edu iPod rebate. I was going to give the iPod as a Christmas present, but I'd have to cut the UPC bars out of the box to get the rebate, and how crappy would that look as a gift, a box with holes? Apple wants too much money to change the two 256MB sticks to a single 512, and too much money to upgrade the 4200RPM drive to a 5200, so I could easily live with the stock config at the store.

I think I'll call the store on Sunday and, if they haven't sold out of the damn things, toot off and pick one up. I will save hours by not having to compulsively check my online order status every 20 minutes...
post #68 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by billybobsky
i couldnt resist the additional landscape of the 17 in...

configured pretty closely with edu discount the 17 in was only 318 dollars more than the 15 in. So I figured since 1500 of it was paid for by my grad school I would step into the behemouth.

Chemist eh?

How did you get "them" to cut in $1500?
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
Reply
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
Reply
post #69 of 340
Just bought my father a 1 GHz Combo drive model - got all kinds of goodies with it - plus 2 iSight cameras for us.

I sent it to Florida, and I'm flying there next week to help show him how to use OS X. I'm kind of worried, because OS 9 is all he knows. Also, these new machines will not boot up OS 9. If he hates OS X, I'm in trouble, for he was perfectly happy with his G3 233 PowerBook.

Next week, I'm going to buy a new iMac 1.25. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I'll fall in love with the new PowerBook, and buy one of those instead.
post #70 of 340
Sending to Current Hardware...
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #71 of 340
Got one! (well, bought - it's not here yet)


Just ordered:

Powerbook 12"
Superdrive
256MB RAM
60GB Hard Disk
Airport Extreme
Applecare
40GB iPod
HP Deskjet

The iPod's for a friend (we ordered together to get the discount - I already have a 10GB iPod). But the rest should see me through uni!


Amorya
post #72 of 340
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of the new PB, but can't decide which. I was hoping for some buying advice from all the knowledgable members of AppleInsider. Right now I'm typing away on a ram maxed Pismo which I love dearly, but is beginning to show its age. Most of my requirements revolve around general word-processing, Keynote/Powerpoint lecutre presentations, and statistical work I'm doing on SPSS 11, which is optimized for the G4 by the good old people at MacKiev for SPSS, for my Phd disseration. Now, I do want have a Superdrive as I have a 15 month old and I am sick of using iMovie and then having to hook up my PB to a VCR to record my iMovies to share with the Grandparents. Other than those basic requirements for my research I don't have any other demanding needs. My real question is, do I save a couple of hundred buck and go for a 12" Superdrive Rev B, a jacked-up 1Ghz 15' Alu, or the 1.25 Ghz 15" as according to my wife this laptop has got to last me at the least 2-3 years like my beloved Pismo. So folks chime in and give me your 2¢.
post #73 of 340
Hey guys,

Well i'm going to order my 12inch w/ superdrive tonight!
I can't tell you how exciting it is after a summer long wait. I have a question before i place my order though:

Should i get the 720 RAM through Apple now or should i just get the stock 256 and buy cheaper RAM from a thrid party? 720 costs $270!! that seems awful expensive. I could also go to 512 for $90, then wait till the 1gig chip comes down in price in a few months, right?
post #74 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by cris84
Hey guys,

Well i'm going to order my 12inch w/ superdrive tonight!
I can't tell you how exciting it is after a summer long wait. I have a question before i place my order though:

Should i get the 720 RAM through Apple now or should i just get the stock 256 and buy cheaper RAM from a thrid party? 720 costs $270!! that seems awful expensive. I could also go to 512 for $90, then wait till the 1gig chip comes down in price in a few months, right?

Never get memory through Apple... way overpriced. Go buy a 512 stick from Crucial ($130) and install yourself, or some of the other places go a little lower than that.
What the problem is?
Reply
What the problem is?
Reply
post #75 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by rossjj
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of the new PB, but can't decide which. I was hoping for some buying advice from all the knowledgable members of AppleInsider. Right now I'm typing away on a ram maxed Pismo which I love dearly, but is beginning to show its age. Most of my requirements revolve around general word-processing, Keynote/Powerpoint lecutre presentations, and statistical work I'm doing on SPSS 11, which is optimized for the G4 by the good old people at MacKiev for SPSS, for my Phd disseration. Now, I do want have a Superdrive as I have a 15 month old and I am sick of using iMovie and then having to hook up my PB to a VCR to record my iMovies to share with the Grandparents. Other than those basic requirements for my research I don't have any other demanding needs. My real question is, do I save a couple of hundred buck and go for a 12" Superdrive Rev B, a jacked-up 1Ghz 15' Alu, or the 1.25 Ghz 15" as according to my wife this laptop has got to last me at the least 2-3 years like my beloved Pismo. So folks chime in and give me your 2¢.

My Pismo is still rolling along too. My next decision is whether to give it to my son or sell it and get an iPod plus cash. What a fabulous computer it has been! Especiall with the 48G IBM 5400 RPM drive I put in 18 months ago.

I feel your pain re: iMovie and a VCR. I have a digital-8 vidcam, but it is still a pain. I'm looking forward to burning my first DVD next week! Nothing like being on the scabby edge of technology.

Anyways, it sounds like maybe you'd do well with the 12" and a monitor? The monitor would really help with the video, which I suspect you'd be doing at home; the other stuff like SPSS is mostly terminal/GUI stuff which won't cause you to curse the 12" screen. You could get an Apple 15" LCD or even an old 17" for the cost of the 15".

I'm getting a 15, but I sure do like the 12, especially at 1GHz.
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
Reply
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
Reply
post #76 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
I think I'll call the store on Sunday and, if they haven't sold out of the damn things, toot off and pick one up. I will save hours by not having to compulsively check my online order status every 20 minutes...

Okay, I lied, I just placed my order online. The edu rebate on the iPod was too good to pass up, and the deal isn't available in the stores. Ship date for PowerBook 15-inch 1.25GHz SuperDrive (stock configuration): on or before 9/19. 10GB iPod: on or before 9/22.

Now to go order some RAM and start checking my order status...
post #77 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
Okay, I lied, I just placed my order online. The edu rebate on the iPod was too good to pass up, and the deal isn't available in the stores.

The edu rebate and discount are available in the stores . . . the Apple Stores in Albany, NY and Chestnut Hil, MA have both provided that discount. Regardless, congrats on the purchase.
post #78 of 340
I bought a 1.25 standard config w/superdrive. My first powerbook.

Called the glendale sore and they had one left at 1:30 this afternoon. she held it for me until I got there at 4.

so far it is quite impressive. surprisingly responsive for a an OSX machine with only 512 of RAM.
post #79 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by jaske
The edu rebate and discount are available in the stores . . . the Apple Stores in Albany, NY and Chestnut Hil, MA have both provided that discount. Regardless, congrats on the purchase.

I know the stores honor the edu discount on hardware but I was going by Apple's terms on the iPod deal: "Buy a qualifying iBook or PowerBook and an iPod from the Apple Store for Education Individuals or a participating campus reseller between June 29 and September 27, 2003."

Well, no harm done. With the price of gas being what it is, I actually saved a few bucks by not driving 50 miles to the store.
post #80 of 340
It looks like the 12" with an iCurve (like Masker), my old 19" display (for spanning) and bluetooth keyboard and mouse have finally hit the sweet spot!!!!!

I'll need two more months to get the money though.

Then in one year I'll be ready for whatever G5 I can afford!8)
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Who is buying a new PowerBook?