Originally posted by MacGregorIt looks like the 12" [has] ... finally hit the sweet spot!!!!!
I'll need two more months to get the money though.
The new Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook is much
better than I expected. I didn't believe they would put (mini-) DVI in the 12-inch PowerBook. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as my fellow subnotebook aficionado MacGregor
. However, there are two positives to waiting: (1) we'll probably get Panther pre-loaded, (2) we'll be able to see the new PowerBooks in person before buying. This brings me to Barto
Originally posted by Barto
I was going to buy a 12" PowerBook Combo...
But now with the new 15", I don't know anymore.
I'm facing the same dilemma. I'm obviously a big fan of the smaller PowerBooks. I'm also quite thrifty. Finally, the new 15-inch PowerBooks are just gorgeous. When I bought my iBook/500 2.5 years ago, I ordered the Combo model but then downgraded to the plain CD-ROM because I was cheap. Now I'm facing a similar issue with my return to the PowerBook camp. Should I be reasonable and get the Combo 12-inch? The US$1399 educational price is just so nice and low. OTOH, the SuperDrive would be very nice to back-up part of the large HDD I would BTO. Then there's also the 15-incher. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, so well proportioned. The price increases from one model to the next are set well. Let's see...
* 12-inch PB w/ Combo US$1399
* 12-inch PB w/ SuperDrive, add $200
* 15-inch PB w/ Combo, add $200
* 15-inch PB w/ SuperDrive, add $500
It's crazy to think that I paid US$2700 for my low-end PowerBook 520c in 1994. Value for money has come such a long way on the low end! If I get the 12-inch Combo instead of the 15-inch SuperDrive, I will save $900. That would almost pay for a 20-inch Cinema Display (or a nice 3rd party LCD).
I'm definitely going to wait until I can evaluate the new PowerBooks in person. I might also wait for Panther. But I will definitely not
wait for the next PowerBook revision this time around.