or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Displays Maybe Note

New Displays Maybe Note

post #1 of 74
I noticed when I was ordering my two 23" LCD's and dual G5 if I picked one with the ADC-DVI adapter it would be 3-5 week wait on the that display. That is really strange that they would do that when I could order the ADC-DVI seprate with a 1-2 day ship time.

Is there some kind of bundle where they box them together, that would seem stupid. I bought two of those adapters for $59 each on the return table at an Apple Retailer. So no need to order from Apple Online Store.
post #2 of 74
Now this is weird..

Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel) + Apple DVI to ADC Adapter B6703LL/A 1-2 bus.days Remove $2,098.00 $2,098.00

DVI to ADC Display Adapter M8661LL/B Early November Remove $99.00 $99.00

If you order just the DVI - ADC adapter it says November? But with a display it is only 1-2 days now.
post #3 of 74
Weird.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #4 of 74
[Nevermind. My post was impregnated by my morning grumpiness, so I deleted it.]
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #5 of 74
It has looked recently like ADC is disappearing. But based on this, it looks like Apple may be bringing out revised displays with DVI instead of ADC fairly soon now.
post #6 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
It has looked recently like ADC is disappearing. But based on this, it looks like Apple may be bringing out revised displays with DVI instead of ADC fairly soon now.

Yes now we have a good rumor!

ok so this is the "new powerbook rumor"

I heard ADC is a pain in the butt, is that true?
If it is... then WAHOO!!!
I hope they have an alumunuim(<-spelling?) finish!
PowerMac G5: $3,000
Apple cinima display 20":
$1,299
JBL creatures: $129
Wireless Mouse: $69
computer chair: $129

Owning in unreal tournament:
Priceless!
PowerMac G5: $3,000
Apple cinima display 20":
$1,299
JBL creatures: $129
Wireless Mouse: $69
computer chair: $129

Owning in unreal tournament:
Priceless!
post #7 of 74
"Wireless" Based on your sig... I see no way you could be 'owning' at UT. See... the wireless mice are.... timid. They can't track nearly as accurately as others.... Just curious how your are 'really' doing.
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
"Wireless" Based on your sig... I see no way you could be 'owning' at UT. See... the wireless mice are.... timid. They can't track nearly as accurately as others.... Just curious how your are 'really' doing.

I use a wireless mouse as well and at work I still own. SOme of the players at work were muuuuch better. One was a pro UT player. The wireless has freaked out a couple times but not really. I think it is all in the players skill level.

Back on topic...I think ADC is still a good concept. I like the fact that one cable leaves the monitor to your machine and it carries, power, USB, and the digital video signal.
post #9 of 74
If they did change, there would be a shortage of display adapters...
-- short that stock !! --
-- short that stock !! --
post #10 of 74
foad....

we over in this thread have a different opinion of the wireless suckers...
post #11 of 74
Well there is a limit on the res ADC can handle maybe it is time for ADC2? The ADC Spec allows for a Firewire connection, and they need to add USB 2 into the displays. If there really is a 30" LCD on the way it would be a higher res than 1920x1200 so there is need for change.

On another note my two 23" lcd's were suppost to ship the same day I ordered which was sept 16th. They have now slipped twice to Sept 19th. I got an email about stock levels blah blah... the dat has changed.

I found this spec list on the net for the DVI standard, which ADC is based on. Dual Link supports a max res of (2048x1536 at 60 Hz, 1920x1080 at 85 Hz) and I don't think Apple wants a 60 hertz refresh for their displays.

http://www.ddwg.org/dvi.html

This might have to do with the shortage that or People or ordering alot of Displays to go with the new G5's
post #12 of 74
Please, no ADC2! We have wasted enough time and money on proprietary connectors. Who ever really used the connector on the first PowerMacs? An adapter was the first and only related expense.

Besides we don't need a USB hub in the monitor. The original idea was to save cabling when the computer was under the desk - and to reduce the wiring clutter which always surrounded the Cube. But Apple has just introduced a wireless keyboard and mouse, so there's no need for USB in the monitor.

Someone probably figured ADC would make Apple users more likely to buy Apple monitors, too. That kind of effect can be positive or negative, though, and these days ADC is probably hurting monitor sales. Apple needs to integrate well in the corporate world, and using standard monitor connectors (DVI these days) is almost essential. Note that all of Apple's new computers (except iMac and eMac) have DVI.

In the long, long run, Apple will have to streamline their operations. Just as they eliminated printers, they will eliminate keyboards, mice and monitors from their line-up. Their prices have always left plenty of room for third-party vendors.
post #13 of 74
For what it's worth...

I have a good friend who works at one of the Apple Stores and he says that "soon to be discontinued" stock is offered to Apple employees at a discounted price (I think that this is common knowledge). He just got a great deal on a cinema display.

Brian
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Besides we don't need a USB hub in the monitor. The original idea was to save cabling when the computer was under the desk - and to reduce the wiring clutter which always surrounded the Cube. But Apple has just introduced a wireless keyboard and mouse, so there's no need for USB in the monitor.

Note that the wireless keyboard & mouse don't come with the machines as standard... You have to buy them separately.

I think having a USB hub in the monitor is a great idea. There are many times when I want to hook up a USB device to my machine, but don't want to have it constantly attached (flash card readers, USB zip drives, and scanners all fit into this category for me). An extra USB port in the monitor is very convenient.

You're also forgetting that ADC eliminates the need for a power cable. It's nice not having yet another cable going to an already crowded UPS or power strip.

I like ADC, I just thing Apple should design their monitors so you don't have to buy an expensive ADC->DVI converter. Why not just have a power outlet on the back of the display, and let the people who want to use DVI use a cheap ADC->DVI converter (no power in it) & a cheap power brick, or have it optionally bundled with the monitor? Seems like it could be made cheaper...
post #15 of 74
I don't that 60hz is a problem on a DVI based display. The pixels on an LCD don't refresh like those of a CRT: once they're lit, they stay lit untill they're shut off, so even at 60hz you wouldn't see flicker. 60hz is also fast enough for motion (video sources) none of which that I can think supply a frame rate higher than 60i. So long as the pixel response is fast enough, 60hz should be OK.

There may be issues with 24fps material playing back below 72hz, but i dunno how or if the display characteristics of LCD's would impact that.
IBL!
IBL!
post #16 of 74
I wonder if Apple would consider utilising a DVI connector on their next generation displays, and then offer them for sale to PC users? This may actually help them expand further into the PC market... first PC users discover the benefits of Apple displays, then they move to full Apple computer systems.

I'm sure it will never happen, but it was just a thought!
post #17 of 74
Plenty of PC users already buy 20 and 23 inch Cinema displays because they are the only large format wide screen TFT's you can buy at a decent price (Samsung and Sony's Big widescreens are much much more, at least in the UK)
R
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
[Nevermind. My post was impregnated by my morning grumpiness, so I deleted it.]

I understand, my wife was impregnated by my morning grumpiness once.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
post #19 of 74
he he I just got my 20" at work and it's sitting on my desk and it's gorgeous. I really coulnd't give a crap about new displays after getting it

Now I'm just waiting for the g5 dualie to get here so I can acually use it
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I agree...I like wired mice a lot more for gaming.
post #21 of 74
Samsung just announced their new 24" LCD
http://macminute.com/2003/09/18/samsung

It has the thin bezel, DVI, swivel to portrait features that I want.
I wonder if the power supply is built-in?
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by Elderloc
I noticed when I was ordering my two 23" LCD's and dual G5...

Bastard.

You mean you read this far?
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus
Bastard.

i know!!! its especially hard for you brits with 17% VAT and added surcharge.......you could fly over to NYC...pick it up in the US and it would pay for your ticket!!

yeah, not many are able to afford one, let alone 2 23" cinema displays.
post #24 of 74
I was going to buy 3 but I'm waiting to see if the 30" comes to light then I will buy it.Serious
post #25 of 74
I wonder if the 30" will have a tilt & swivel arm? Clamped or screwed to the desk maybe.
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by eat@me
i know!!! its especially hard for you brits with 17% VAT and added surcharge.......you could fly over to NYC...pick it up in the US and it would pay for your ticket!!

too true, but the law requires UK residents to declare US purchases over about $200-ish on arrival at the uk airport. The customs man will then, with a smile, demand payment of the 17% VAT on the spot.

my brother owns a graphics company and buys a lot of stuff from the US, he regularly gets calls from FedEx in the UK saying 'your package has arrived from the US, once you have paid us $xxx tax, we will happily sent it on to you'.
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by BJNY
Samsung just announced their new 24" LCD
http://macminute.com/2003/09/18/samsung

It has the thin bezel, DVI, swivel to portrait features that I want.
I wonder if the power supply is built-in?

That's a very nice monitor. A bit expensive perhaps. $3K, 1900x1200 pixels.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by åsen
too true, but the law requires UK residents to declare US purchases over about $200-ish on arrival at the uk airport. The customs man will then, with a smile, demand payment of the 17% VAT on the spot.

my brother owns a graphics company and buys a lot of stuff from the US, he regularly gets calls from FedEx in the UK saying 'your package has arrived from the US, once you have paid us $xxx tax, we will happily sent it on to you'.

i lived there also but back here. if you were buying a PB, no problem bring it back into UK and just not declare it. said you got in UK and travel with it. best
post #29 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by Elderloc
I was going to buy 3 but I'm waiting to see if the 30" comes to light then I will buy it.

Bastard. With extra bastard topping.

post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Please, no ADC2! We have wasted enough time and money on proprietary connectors. Who ever really used the connector on the first PowerMacs? An adapter was the first and only related expense.

Someone probably figured ADC would make Apple users more likely to buy Apple monitors, too. That kind of effect can be positive or negative, though, and these days ADC is probably hurting monitor sales. Apple needs to integrate well in the corporate world, and using standard monitor connectors (DVI these days) is almost essential. Note that all of Apple's new computers (except iMac and eMac) have DVI.

In the long, long run, Apple will have to streamline their operations. Just as they eliminated printers, they will eliminate keyboards, mice and monitors from their line-up. Their prices have always left plenty of room for third-party vendors.

I don't think there is one sentence in this post I could agree with.
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut

I agree with your disagreement

I think ADC is cool, but i think what apple should do in there store is list an ADC version and a DVI version, like how formac does it. Sure the DVI version would just be ADC with the adapter but it would be less confusing for the average customer, vs. having to buy the DVI adapter separately.
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus
Bastard. With extra bastard topping.

with chocolate sprinkles to boot!
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
he he I just got my 20" at work and it's sitting on my desk and it's gorgeous. I really coulnd't give a crap about new displays after getting it

I found the 20" by far the most colour accurate out of the entire Apple lineup. I originally bought the 23" monitor, but found the color inconsistant across the screen, particularly around the edges. I tried 2 others before taking the 20 inch. I don't know how much things have improved, but 6 months ago, there simply was no comparison. I wonder if the new larger screens will go through the same growing pains.
post #34 of 74
Quote:
I found the 20" by far....

wow, good to know.
post #35 of 74
I use a 23" at work and find it prone to ghosting. Images remain for around 10 seconds after they're moved. Don't know if this is inherrant across the line, or peculiar to my monitor.
post #36 of 74
I had a 23" lcd with my last PM a 1.25 first gen. It did not do this at all are you using an extension, or converter?
post #37 of 74
nope, it's straight into the back of the computer
post #38 of 74
My first 23" I had did not do this but the two news one I just got did when I first turned them on. I now have no issues. On a side note my first 23" I had would show lots of pixels that were red or blue when I ran the Pixel tester neither of these two new display have any dead, stuck or flashing pixels. W00t!
post #39 of 74
Quote:

Ah, so you feel you have not wasted enough money yet on proprietary connectors. You're certainly free to go ahead and waste your money.
post #40 of 74
Sigh.

ADC != Proprietary...

When your G4 is underneath your desk i have found it useful to use the USB port on the back of my 20".

I purchased 2 apple 20" with OPEN standard connectors. Everything from the plug and playness to the style, design and JAWDROPPING quality of the apple LCDs make me all wam inside because IMO these are the best LCD (price/performance ratio) I could have bought...

But hey. Its a free world (mostly) so go ahead and buy a "on sale with rebate" best buy off brand and save some money at the cost of quality.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Displays Maybe Note