or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.8 out on swupdate

10.2.8 out on swupdate - Page 2  

post #41 of 92
Hrm.

The last time I had an update do that to me I just forced a reboot, and it came up just fine the second time.

FYI, downloaded the update, installed, restarted, everything's peachy. Haven't had it long enough to notice anything drastic.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggWSmith
Uh oh it is now like 30 minutes of spinning circle and nothing! What do I do?

I'm so not installing this! My HD got corrupted somehow last week and I bit the bullet and reformatted and reinstalled everything (up to 10.2.6). Everything is working brilliantly now...better than ever.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll feel differently.\
post #43 of 92
I forced a reboot and all is well except for one thing. All my music from iTunes is gone! How do I transfer it back from my iPod?
post #44 of 92
Quote:
I forced a reboot and all is well except for one thing. All my music from iTunes is gone! How do I transfer it back from my iPod?

Tell me your're kidding, right?
post #45 of 92
Nope. All my music is gone!!! 2.86 Gig worth of music is gone!
post #46 of 92
Quote:

PodMaster is the only solution that I've heard of for going from iPod to Mac. But I've never used it. Someone on this site must have.
post #47 of 92
Quote:

That's exactly why I partitionned my HD in 4 pieces. All my data should be safe, in case an update goes wrong.

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #48 of 92
Check out macupdate.com. I haven't actually tried any, but there are a ton of programs listed that should help. The user feedback and reviews can help you make a decision on which is the best. Hope it helps.
post #49 of 92
Man, everything bad happens to you, Gregg. OK, I copied these instructions from iPod.iTunes. Follow them VERY carefully!

[SIZE=1]If the iPod preferences are set to "Automatically update all songs and playlists" (which is default) and you delete some or all of your tracks/playlists in your iTunes library by accident, iTunes will delete those tracks/playlists on the iPod!!!
- the next time you connect the iPod
- the next time you start iTunes while the iPod is connected

The auto update mode in iTunes creates always an exact mirror of the iTunes library on the iPod. If the tracks in the iTunes library are gone, they will also be deleted on the iPod.

To get the tracks/playlists in this situation back from the iPod, follow these steps exactly:

- Quit iTunes in case it's running.

- Disconnect the iPod in case it is connected.

- Start iTunes.

- Connect the iPod. In iTunes, immediately hold down the Option-Command keys. When the iPod appears in iTunes source column, wait five seconds, then release the keys.
This will skip the automatic iPod update, avoiding the deletion of the iPod tracks which you've accidentally deleted in iTunes before.

- Set the iPod preferences to "Manually manage songs and playlists".
To open the iPod preferences, select the iPod within iTunes source column, then click onto the upcoming iPod icon at the right bottom of the iTunes window (the left icon).

- Run iPod.iTunes to restore the desired tracks/playlists.

- You may now set the iPod preferences back to "Automatically update all songs and playlists".[/size=1]

------
OK, I test it and the iPod.iTunes software works.

I just tested it by deleting a song in my iTunes library and seeing if it will restore the copy on my iPod. It didn't do anything when I first launched it, wouldn't let me press any tabs or the "Start" button. Quit it, relaunched it, and it worked fine. It really takes its time though. One song took about 10 minutes, however much of that was scanning the whole iPod and copying the playlists, not copying the songs over. But let the software run its course. If you interrupt it, things might not fixed or might even make things worse, so be patient!

Man, I'm so sorry you're having these problems with your new Mac. I just feel bad that you took a chance, made the switch, but probably don't have a very good opinion of your Mac at this point.
post #50 of 92
Quote:

Holy shnikes. I already updated and all is well (knock on wood).

Maybe the force reboot damaged your disk directory (similar to deleting files, they're still there just not listed). Can you reboot off your install CD and use disk repair?
Computer: MacBook Pro 15.4", 2 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.6

Internet: Verizon DSL (3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps), Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Netgear RP614v.2 Router, AirPort Express

"...
Computer: MacBook Pro 15.4", 2 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.6

Internet: Verizon DSL (3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps), Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Netgear RP614v.2 Router, AirPort Express

"...
post #51 of 92
Well I am working with the iPod.iTunes software to try and restore it! Of course with my luck the whole computer will catch fire and burn my house down.
post #52 of 92
All those stupid iPod extracting apps are retarded. There is an AppleScript that will extract tracks highlighted in iTunes, you just add it to your script menu. So much easier and of course iTunes has way more power then Podmaster to sort songs so you can find what you want immediately. I forget its name and I'm lazy. That's what you want though Gregg, but Podmaster also works. I would say use Disk Utility to make sure everything is ok. (from the boot cd)
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #53 of 92
Quote:

If the rest of your data is still there, you should just be able to put the audio files from your home directory back in your iTunes library. You'll have to re-create your playlists and such, but hopefully that will solve the problem.
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Well I am working with the iPod.iTunes software to try and restore it! Of course with my luck the whole computer will catch fire and burn my house down.

Yeah. Just send your Macs here and I'll send you our Dell desktop. I'll assume the fire risk, and you get a nice working Dell computer. I'll even pay shipping.
post #55 of 92
Gee brand new 12inch PB, 12 inch iBook. G5 and a 500MHz TiBook for a Dell desktop! What a fair trade! At least let me pay the shipping. (Please note that this was sarcasm)
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Gee brand new 12inch PB, 12 inch iBook. G5 and a 500MHz TiBook for a Dell desktop! What a fair trade! At least let me pay the shipping. (Please note that this was sarcasm)

post #57 of 92
I don't know torifile, it was a better deal when it included the 2.8GB of music. I'd probably pass on it now.

I'm seeing several people around the web that are having their networking killed after installing the update, and having to reinstall Jaguar to get online. I think I'll stick with my boring, old school 10.2.6 installation for a little while.
post #58 of 92
I installed the 10.2.8 COMBO updater ... repaired permissions and fsck -y before and after applying the update ... no problems encountered at all.
post #59 of 92
maybe its just me, but on my 933(1gigram) tower, window resizing seems faster, especially in safari.
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
maybe its just me, but on my 933(1gigram) tower, window resizing seems faster, especially in safari.

could it be the system optimization that occurs after the update is applied?
post #61 of 92
itunes scrolling is smooth on my TiBook 1Ghz after the update. And Office just opened in one bounce... weird never done that before... Seems faster...
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally posted by andymyers
I installed the 10.2.8 COMBO updater ... repaired permissions and fsck -y before and after applying the update ... no problems encountered at all.

where did you get that? I cant find it anywhere on the Apple site yet
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #63 of 92
no one has remarked that the Prefernces has changed

You now have "Keyboard and Mouse" as one and you have a Bluetooth 'sensor' etc....

pretty cool
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
where did you get that? I cant find it anywhere on the Apple site yet

Link
post #65 of 92
do we need to wait for an update to TransparentDock or is there another way to get around it? Tried reapplying the script but it dont work... I hate opaque dock... blah

also gotta unbrush safari again....
post #66 of 92
the bad side:
In my preferences pane, I still have two separate icons for keyboard and mouse, the keyboard one opens lovely, but the mouse icon brings up a dialogue that says "Preferences Error - Could not load Mouse"

the good side:
1) everything is snappier for me (D1.42 MDD G4 / 64MB VRAM / 2GB RAM) .. the genie effect works MUCH smoother on the 16MB ATi gfx card driving my second monitor (1600 x 1200)

2) safari now accesses our intranet which it didn't before. still not showing my banking site properly, but at least I can use Camino for that one.

will let you know the more i play
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #67 of 92
I repaired permissions and installed the combo updater on my G3 B&W/400 at home and my G4/450 Sawtooth at work - everything seems a bit snappier on both.

Like Algol said, Office opens in one bounce - that has NEVER happened before. Illustrator 10 opened in 2 bounces-fastest ever. Safari seems a bit faster, too.

GreggWSmith - it sounds like fsck was running (that's usually what takes an incredibly long time on startup) and you interrupted it. I'd reboot into single-user mode (apple + s) and run fsck -y until it says your hard drive appears to be okay.

Oh - and Transparent Dock seems to be an issue - I've seen it mentioned on a couple of boards.
GraphicUmp
GraphicUmp
post #68 of 92
with safari on a site made with flash, when I log in I get an error saying "no requests performed to cgi"

any clues? works fine with Camino/Netscape/Explorer/Moz etc
post #69 of 92
after repairing permissions on my drive, I am getting the correct "Keyboard and Mouse" option via Prefling, but when i access my system preferences via apple menu, I get 2 different Keyboard and Mouse icons.

go figure ...

btw, how do I report bugs to Apple?
post #70 of 92
On my Powerbook 12" 867, the power manager has gone mad since the update. Estimated battery life is basically bogus (about half the expected remaining time). I haven't had time to check if real world battery life has changed or not (it seems OK). I did drain the battery totally, though, and I resetted the power manager once (it worked because time was back to 01/01/1970) and rebooted, but it didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone one have any other suggestion to try and get that stoned power manager back to a clean and sober condition ? Thanks.
We should have shotguns for this
post #71 of 92
Hi!
the only problem with me that it reduced the battery life from 4 to 2 hour. why is that.

iBook 12" full brightness No air port.
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
do we need to wait for an update to TransparentDock or is there another way to get around it? Tried reapplying the script but it dont work... I hate opaque dock... blah

also gotta unbrush safari again....

What's wrong with ClearDock from Unsanity? Works great after the update. I'd sooner trust Unsanity to program a good hack than some unnamed, untested independent developer.
post #73 of 92
Well, took the plunge on my 12" PB, okay so far: Ethernet's working happily, Keyboard/Mouse prefpane present and correct, though I've yet to see anything notably faster.

I'm looking forward to doing my Cube (just as soon as it's finished this stupid big CG render), since the Java update seemed to bring Wake from Sleep back into the realms of usability and I'm hoping 10.2.8 will improve it further...
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
post #74 of 92
Yes TransparentDock needs updating. I don't like the opaque or black triangles (white!) However the most annoying thing is the missing Hide in the apps in the dock.
post #75 of 92
its a great update for me, until i unplugged my PB from the mains...

whoa! i'm getting 1.25 on a full charge. thats not too hot...\
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #76 of 92
OK. The battery problem is really annoying. Here's what I found on my PB 12" 867/640/60/AE.

- Do not trust the power manager when it tells you the battery is full. Trust the led on the charger. I wanted to get a full charge on my PB, the system told me the battery was charged and it showed 100%, still I waited for 30 minutes for the charger led to turn green.

- Do not trust the power manager when it tells you the battery is empty. I tried to run the battery flat : ignored the "low battery" warning, kept running until the battery level got to 0% and the PB went to sleep, plugged the charger, hit the spacebar to wake up the PB, unplugged the charger right away. Surprise : I worked for about 30 minutes with the battery level showing 0%.

That is really annoying, because in order to get that "extra" 30 minutes of battery life, I have to plug the Powerbook to wake it up after the battery hits 0%, which means I need a goddamn plug near me at that exact moment. Great...

Resetting the power manager has had absolutely no effect on this. Hope someone finds a solution soon, because working on the train is going to become very painful.
post #77 of 92
Yeah I have the same issue on my PB12"
post #78 of 92
My USB connection on my keyboard now sees my digital camera consistently
post #79 of 92
Man... just like every other update (just about). 50% of people rave, the other 50% scream.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #80 of 92
I have noticed that iTunes occasionally "forgets" about albums in its library after system updates. The files are there, you just have to point iTunes at them by adding them to the library. Which is silly and irritating, but it works.

If the actual files vanished... well, I've never heard of that.

Original music:

Original music:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.8 out on swupdate