or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.8 gone wrong?

10.2.8 gone wrong?

post #1 of 155
I have received two independ reports on problems after upgrading to 10.2.8.
One trashed system after installing Stuffit 8 and 10.2.8 - not even single user would work.
One failure to reboot after installing 10.2.8.
post #2 of 155
i experienced problems after installing 10.2.8

briefly:

G4 dual 450 gigabit Ethernet
1 gig ram
80 gig hd
Partitioned into 2 volumes, hfs+ format
Os x 10.2.6
Os 9.2.2 for classic mode
Running fine, no major apps installed yet on this machine.

Installed 10.2.8 upgrade via apple's software update, install went fine, no errors.

Upon restart: grey apple screen, never moves beyond that point. No startup counter, nothing.

Can still boot from cd or hd into 9.
post #3 of 155
FWIW, I just did a 12"PB and a G4/500...no problems.
post #4 of 155
G4 733MHz 10.2.6 Server --> 10.2.8 Server no probs
iBook 600Mhz 14inch 10.2.6 Client --> 10.2.8, no probs
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #5 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
G4 733MHz 10.2.6 Server --> 10.2.8 Server no probs
iBook 600Mhz 14inch 10.2.6 Client --> 10.2.8, no probs

iMac 333 10.2.6--->10.2.8 no problems
30 gig drive, 384megs of ram
Today is my iMac's last day of work as my powerbook will arrive tomorrow. Should i buy a cheap gold watch as a retirement gift?
post #6 of 155
Dual 800 Quicksilver 10.2.6 --> 10.2.8 combo updater

No problems so far... everything seems ok. Repaired permisionss before update (it fixed a bunch of stuff) and after update (only fixed 1 thing). Here's hoping it cures my random freezes.
bah!
bah!
post #7 of 155
dual 1.25 g4 and a pismo powerbook 500 mhz g3. no problems on either. used both the software update system pref and the standalone combo updater (now available from apple.com). mind you, i had JUST done a clean nuke & pave of both systems earlier in the week, which may have helped matters.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #8 of 155
iMac 17", 1Ghz, 1Gig RAM + Bluetooth.

I think it came with 10.2.4 back in March, I have been to 10.2.6, and now to 10.2.8 without any problems.

Infact, the only real problem I have had is my bluetooth stopped workinging... but a quick PRAM/VRAM (or whatever is called) reset cleared all that up.

very happy with this iccle machine... all I need now is for someone on eBay to buy it so I can buy a 15" PB.

"Choice. The problem is choice."
-- Neo
"Choice. The problem is choice."
-- Neo
post #9 of 155
I have installed this on a Dual GHZ G4 with 22" Cinema Display.
1.5GB of RAM. Four external FW HD totalling over 400GB. Two internal Drives as well. Not a problem yet.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #10 of 155
I don't remember one update that didn't lead to something broken on someone's computer. This is no exception. Of course things will go wrong. The number of possible (hardware- & software-) configurations is, for all intents and purposes, infinite. However, this update, as other updates, should work fine for the biggest majority of Mac OS users (at least 99.99%). So: if you're paranoid: don't install, but if not, do.
post #11 of 155
DP 450 10.2.8 install easy no problem

bob
post #12 of 155
12inch PB... no problems!
post #13 of 155
10.2.8 and Stuffit 8 on both G3/400 B&W and G4/450 Sawtooth - no problems at all with either.

But then, I repair my permissions and run DiskWarrior once a week.
GraphicUmp
GraphicUmp
post #14 of 155
Ok here's my experience. Install went fine. First restart seem to take longer than usual. After that my Kensington wireless mouse refused to work. Upon shutting down and resetting my mouse and receiver, restarting twice it worked fine. Everything has been fine since. Seems to be a little ( and I do mean a little ) faster. Otherwise not much difference.

G4 450 tower, One gig of RAM, Radeon 8500.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #15 of 155
The install was fine, optimizing and restart took some time. After repairing permissions, which found really nothing, and other restart everything is perfect. Been working fine for me, iTunes and everything else is still there.
post #16 of 155
It was just pulled
post #17 of 155
Yikes! Well i've been using it all day on my dual 800 and its been peachy here. I haven't had my typical "random freeze" all day. (knock on wood). Flash MX on the other hand can continue to bite me, its a crashy bitch with big projects grrrrr.

Hope they release a 10.2.9 for all the users having issues. :/
bah!
bah!
post #18 of 155
No problems so far 1 Gig iMac 17 inch with Superdrive. When an upgrade comes out should I re-install or keep this version?
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #19 of 155
Probably fine to install the new one, but be sure to check into and follow whatever Apple suggests.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #20 of 155
I just went to download .8 on my eMac, it's already on my iBook without issue, it's been pulled from the apple site. I guess it was serious enough to withdraw it.
post #21 of 155
Apple claims that the update was pulled because there was a network issue with some G4s. Here's a statement from Apple that was published in a MacCentral artical:

"We have temporarily removed the Mac OS X v10.2.8 software update while we resolve an issue affecting Ethernet networking on small number of Power Mac G4 desktop systems. We anticipate that the issue will be resolved soon."

Everyone else complaining that their computer locked up during restarting after applying the updater needs to remove any haxies and try again with the stand alone updater, which has since been pulled. I have a copy if anyone wants it.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #22 of 155
Clamshell iBook - 10.2.8 works perfectly.

Mail ran slower than normal at first, but now it's fine.

Many features seem to run faster overall.
post #23 of 155
I have that issue with the battery time on my powerbook. Made me do a double take at work today, "where'd my power go?". But other than that fine. Plus I got my WEP airport wireless working. Don't know if the update did that or what?
post #24 of 155
No probs.
Was 10.2.8 only pulled temporairily? Apple's website suggests that.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #25 of 155
Yea my Power Managment is screwed up now. Nothing else is wrong besides this though. I have just as much battery time as I did before but the time managment tells me I have 32 minutes at 42% and 21 min at 28% lol
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #26 of 155
Fairly long restart on Monday night after upgrading (waited a very long time for the computer to actually finish logging out and restarting, but the actual startup process didn't take too long.) Then, just as the screen went blue and I was waiting for the login window, the computer restarted on its own again. Start up chime and everything. After that, the startup process went fairly smoothly.

I'm noticing a severe slowdown in my internet speed since upgrading and restarting, but I'm sure that's probably a Comcast problem and not something related to 10.2.8. I'm just going to go ahead and blame the hurricane, which continues to cause problems for my family and my place of business today.
mlnjr@comcast.net
iChat: mlnortonjr@mac.com
mlnjr@comcast.net
iChat: mlnortonjr@mac.com
post #27 of 155
My Neverwinter Nights is running slow. Could be the update ... or not?
post #28 of 155
Strange. I thought I had no problems until just today, when my mouse got slightly wonky after waking from sleep. It's a Logitech mouse and I'm using Logitech's drivers. Anyway, it was making the buttons not have the same functions as they normally do, but it's fixed when I open the Logitech preference pane and then close it immediately, so it's not a huge concern.
post #29 of 155
what is "repairing permissions" ?

(and how does one do this?)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #30 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot
what is "repairing permissions" ?

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Select your partition.
Choose the First Aid tab.
Click "Repair Disk Permissions".

It fixes the ownership settings for files and directories that should belong to the system.
post #31 of 155
I always verify permissions before repairing them. Is this necessary, or is it just a waste of time?

Anyway, no problems for me on a 400Mhz G3 PowerBook. Actually, Safari now works on some websites where it previously had problems.
Prosecutors will be violated
Prosecutors will be violated
post #32 of 155
Just click on repair permissions.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #33 of 155
Now I'm worried since Apple yanked the update w/no real explanation.

I posted earlier that I had no probs...unfortunately, I must revise that.

out of the five Macs I uprgaded, one is now unusable. It is a G3/400 B&W. It boots, but when the desktop should appear I get a blue screen instead.
post #34 of 155
Don't know if it's related, but I had a solid freeze the first time I plugged in my iPod after installing 10.2.8. Rainbow spinner of death, and not even force quit would get me out of it. Had to unplug the iPod to escape, despite the "do not unplug" warning. Then the iPod wouldn't mount and I was forced to restart.
post #35 of 155
My install went great except for one problem.... All my iTunes disapeared!!! I had to use a third party hack to transfer them from my iPod.
post #36 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by Keda
Now I'm worried since Apple yanked the update w/no real explanation.

They gave an explanation: "We have temporarily removed the Mac OS X v10.2.8 software update while we resolve an issue affecting Ethernet networking on a small number of Power Mac G4 desktop systems. We anticipate that the issue will be resolved soon."
Why am I whispering?
Why am I whispering?
post #37 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by CaseCom
They gave an explanation: "We have temporarily removed the Mac OS X v10.2.8 software update while we resolve an issue affecting Ethernet networking on a small number of Power Mac G4 desktop systems. We anticipate that the issue will be resolved soon."

This is the worst update Apple has delivered since the 7.5.4 desaster. :-(
post #38 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by Smircle
This is the worst update Apple has delivered since the 7.5.4 desaster. :-(

I dunno about that ... which iTunes update was it that erased people's hard drives?
Why am I whispering?
Why am I whispering?
post #39 of 155
They better fix the PowerBook battery Management or I'm going to be pissed. I'd like to know how much power I really have on my battery and not have to guess.
post #40 of 155
I did the upgrade Monday night, This morning my tigig had 100% battery but only 1.24 hours of life. I hope Apple fixes this.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.8 gone wrong?