or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.8 gone wrong?

10.2.8 gone wrong? - Page 3

post #81 of 155
AND

IT

JUST

****ING

FROZE

AGAIN!

MUST

KILL

MOE

WHEEEEEEEEEE.

Damn I feel like clubbing a baby seal right about now.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #82 of 155
Great. I'm screwed. I can't do shit. It kernel panics no matter what I ****ing try to do.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #83 of 155
cant you do an archive re-install ?
"Choice. The problem is choice."
-- Neo
"Choice. The problem is choice."
-- Neo
post #84 of 155
And I was pissed that audio skips. Wow. This is the one time I updated immediately. The ONE time. Damn.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #85 of 155
Man, I haven't any of these problems. I'm connected via Ethernet, though to an ABS, am listening to iTunes right now, my monitor is working great, with the exception of a stuck pixel.

I feel sorry for you guys.

It also fixed a problem I was having with downloads.
post #86 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle
cant you do an archive re-install ?

I tried. Halfway through it crashed and I lost everything.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #87 of 155
OK...something is seriously ****ed up. I just reformatted...zeroed all data...go to install...IT CRASHES AGAIN!

WHAT

THE

****?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #88 of 155
Boot into OS9.

Get a new drive.
post #89 of 155
Well this about the 3rd time I've had to restart my G4 tower Because it didn't recognize my kensington wireless mouse. It was recognized upon the third restart. This is getting old. I thought my problems were gone but they seem to crop up unexpectantly. I've noticed that seems to be a pattern among many different types of problems with this update.

Apple an update soon please!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #90 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
Well this about the 3rd time I've had to restart my G4 tower Because it didn't recognize my kensington wireless mouse. It was recognized upon the third restart. This is getting old. I thought my problems were gone but they seem to crop up unexpectantly. I've noticed that seems to be a pattern among many different types of problems with this update.

Apple an update soon please!

<cough>Panth<cough>er<cough>

Pleeeease! m.
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
post #91 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
Boot into OS9.

Get a new drive.

Nope. Call Apple as I got this computer a week ago. Take it to Apple Authorized Repair Facility.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #92 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
Nope. Call Apple as I got this computer a week ago. Take it to Apple Authorized Repair Facility.

Yeah, that should work too.
post #93 of 155
So should apple pay damages in some way, having f**ked up peoples macs?
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #94 of 155
Yes but why is everyone so hard on them just because they are usually perfect? What about any release of Windows ever?

The freakin virus disabled the damn WASHING machines in my dorm because of the payment system for a month.
post #95 of 155
my battery dropped from just under 2hrs to about 50minutes a charge after the update. ouch!
i got a letter from the government the other day i opened and read it it said they were suckers they wanted me for their army or whatever picture me given' a damn I said never here is a land that...
i got a letter from the government the other day i opened and read it it said they were suckers they wanted me for their army or whatever picture me given' a damn I said never here is a land that...
post #96 of 155
hehe, I demand panther for free!!!
post #97 of 155
When the network is busy audio skips more then once every second. Fscking annoying.
post #98 of 155
I am so shocked and dissapointed concerning this update. I downloaded it immediately after it came out and thought it was ok. Everything seemed to be working fine. All of a sudden while watching the new Matrix preview... Quicktime freezes. I restart the preview freezes again. Download the file to disk... freezes again. Restart... the computer freezes. THE COLONEL VISITS. Hasn't happened in forever. And I get the COLONEL. I want a fix soon... please.
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
post #99 of 155
God I hate that guy. And his bow tie. And glasses. And chicken.
post #100 of 155
its been a week now we need a fix now!!!!!!!! They should of had a fix out last week. I'm really pissed at them. Where is the fix apple!!!! You've had a whole week. It better come out today...
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #101 of 155
Yes it should come out today but I would rather they take an extra day then rush another update.
post #102 of 155
One of the cool new things in 10.2.8 is the much improved bluetooth support, whats not so cool about it is that connecting to my t68i with the sallinger clicker makes the whole system stall... Even safari falls down to snail-speed for several seconds at a time.
post #103 of 155
Freakin' weird! I haven't had a single issue. (knock on wood)

It works perfectly for me.
post #104 of 155
me too...
post #105 of 155
I downloaded it the day it was released, but I did not have time to install it. When I got home from work at night, I saw people were having problems. So, I have it on my desktop, but have not installed it, and I guess now I will not.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #106 of 155
i'm having serious problems with my ABS connection

and random complete lock ups

and audio skipping

and PISS THE **** OUT OF ME APPLE.
post #107 of 155
over time, more kernal panics than i cn remember, and ausio skipping in itunes.

pile of crap
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #108 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
over time, more kernal panics than i can remember, and audio skipping in itunes.

pile of crap
post #109 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by NeilyB
me too...

Same here. Fixed a problem I had with Safari too.

Even though I still plan on doing a reformat and install with Panther. That's how I always do it.
post #110 of 155
Audio in anything skips if you are using Ethernet a lot. And I have a server going nonstop that is very busy. And music playing almost as much. Hope the update comes out tomorrow!
post #111 of 155
Did they do something about the volume changing thing in audio-midi setup?
U know the volume get's automatically changed sometimes which is annoying if you are trying to make music.
Shit Happens
Shit Happens
post #112 of 155
Is this gonna come back out?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #113 of 155
The fix still isn't out. Is this apathy, what is taking so long from Apple?
post #114 of 155
For those having ethernet issues with this update, I found this on Macupdate:

"AppleGMACEthernet Patch fixes the issues with the 10-base T ethernet cards when upgrading from Mac OS X 10.2.6+ to 10.2.8. It simply downgrades the AppleGMACEthernet.kext file from 1.3 to 1.2.4."

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12907

Just thought this may be helpful. I haven't had problems myself, but I'd be interested to know if it helped for others that do.
post #115 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
NO! This is some crazy ****ed up backwards world!

2:58 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 20 minutes.
2:59 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 25 minutes.
3:00 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 34 minutes.
3:01 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 38 minutes...correction. 1 hour 40 minutes.
3:02 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 52 minutes.

Looks like I'll break the 2 hour mark soon...

Yup.

3:03 AM -> Time Remaining: 2 hours 2 minutes.

God dammit.

Yeah. This is sucking. Hard to tell, but I do think there is a performance penalty. I am suddenly being a lot less cocky about my Powerbook on the plane. . .

Anyone figured this out for sure? Have we lost battery life? Any workarounds? And any word on a fix for this god-awful update? Boy, they shure learned me.

Andrew
post #116 of 155
They have had over a week now to fix the update. Considering this has left many people with rather annoying problems it seems like that should of had a fix out by now. Did it take them this long last time?
post #117 of 155
Well, I already updated to 10.2.8... and I have had NO problems.

When I saw thay had "pulled" the update, I said... " whoops... what in the hell have I just done now? "

They say that theres a problem with the Ethernet kext, and it buggers up your ethernet connectivity in some way, but I have broadband, and nothing is wrong with my machine at all... Nothing at all...

So my analysis of this fiasco is this :-

People (as usual) must not be looking after their Macintosh properly (eg: repairing permissions, running Nortons and the likes, optimising their drives with Speed Disk, using Disk Warrior every week) and when they update their OS or Apps, something is not in sync, or has its permissions damaged, or its date and time of Creation, or Modification altered in some way, so that component dosent get updated by the updater because it thinks it is a newer version, or it dosent have the right permissions for the component, so it dosent update that component, and...

BANG CRASH ....Problems.... mixed and matched pieces of OS..

KERNEL PANIC CRASH BOOM!

"oooh whats happened to my mac?",
"ooh noooo! its all Apple's fault!, the villans!"

... when after all it is really just the users fault for not running a tighter Mac, like looking after it. if you dont look after it.... things go wrong, especialy after you update OS or other Software's. If you learn more about OS X, and Unix etc, and dont be so ignorant, you will be more happier and better off, and hopefully error free... getting you work done, not troubleshooting updates.

i cannot stress this enough.

Nick.
post #118 of 155
nihat_y, do you work for Apple?
post #119 of 155
nihat you're new here. Welcome to wild and wooly AI. I'll cut you some slack.

Believe me we know what we're doing. I repaired permissions before and after, I uninstalled APE, I left the Snow theme on but it stayed fine, and Transparent Dock stopped working so I upgraded and fixed it. My Ethernet always works too. However it makes the audio in any application skip and also I think might be slowing my machine down more then usual. Even MIDI audio skips when there is Ethernet network activity. Also one time I restarted and all of a sudden all the Menu Extras in the top right were gone. I had to manually place them all back up except Time and Battery. Again I have everything up to date, and no ghetto crap. I am surprised they didn't fix this Monday. If they don't fix it today or tomorrow then either Panther better come out next Tuesday or it's a real bad bug or they are just lazy.
post #120 of 155
Quote:
Originally posted by nihat_y
Well, I already updated to 10.2.8... and I have had NO problems.

When I saw thay had "pulled" the update, I said... " whoops... what in the hell have I just done now? "

They say that theres a problem with the Ethernet kext, and it buggers up your ethernet connectivity in some way, but I have broadband, and nothing is wrong with my machine at all... Nothing at all...

So my analysis of this fiasco is this :-

People (as usual) must not be looking after their Macintosh properly (eg: repairing permissions, running Nortons and the likes, optimising their drives with Speed Disk, using Disk Warrior every week) and when they update their OS or Apps, something is not in sync, or has its permissions damaged, or its date and time of Creation, or Modification altered in some way, so that component dosent get updated by the updater because it thinks it is a newer version, or it dosent have the right permissions for the component, so it dosent update that component, and...

BANG CRASH ....Problems.... mixed and matched pieces of OS..

KERNEL PANIC CRASH BOOM!

"oooh whats happened to my mac?",
"ooh noooo! its all Apple's fault!, the villans!"

... when after all it is really just the users fault for not running a tighter Mac, like looking after it. if you dont look after it.... things go wrong, especialy after you update OS or other Software's. If you learn more about OS X, and Unix etc, and dont be so ignorant, you will be more happier and better off, and hopefully error free... getting you work done, not troubleshooting updates.

i cannot stress this enough.

Nick.

You are an idiot. I've had the mac for less than a week. Get bent.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.8 gone wrong?