or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Perpetual "What's Next From Adobe?" Thread

Perpetual "What's Next From Adobe?" Thread

post #1 of 34
While I suspect we're getting very close to a release of the supposed Adobe Studio (which includes new versions of PS, IL, ID and GL), I have heard next to nothing about any of them. There was one pretty decent article from a techy web-zine a while back but that's it really.

No screens from leaked betas, nothing. Adobe seems to be doing a pretty Apple-like / Nikon-like job of keeping their new stuff under complete secrecy. More or less, anyway.

Feel free to post what you know or have seen here, or any general comments. I just wanted to post something so AI members had a place to talk about this stuff. I'm frankly as anxious about this new round of updates as I am to get my hands on Panther.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #2 of 34
Apple Insider had some screen shots once... well Photoshop World is next week and I think something should be released then
post #3 of 34
i've been using indesign 3 beta for the past few weeks...

it rocks!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
i've been using indesign 3 beta for the past few weeks...

it rocks!

Do tell! What exactly 'rocks' the most? Is it faster with multiple pages?
post #5 of 34
snappier! better xml support and lots of other things. i'll try and do a report and screen grabs shortly...
post #6 of 34
I look forward to it...
post #7 of 34
Since the Microsoft-Watch expose, everybody knows ID3 will rock. I have yet to talk to anyone who's planning to upgrade to PS8 (PS7 is always deemed to be "good enough")

But I'm worried about the fact there have been no signs of life detected for the next version of GoLive. It's been stagnant for so long, and with rumors of cancellation. Dreamweaver's been beating GoLive with an ugly stick. No testers have even bothered to come online to say "WOW, this is going to rock!" the way ID3 testers have.

I was really hoping the next GoLive would make it easy to build forms and automagically throw the results into Filemaker Pro. Aside from better integration with ID and cleaning up the interface a bit, that's all I'm wishing for.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #8 of 34
well i have only just got the os x version of the beta, as i've been playing with the windows version for a while (yes i know don't start...)

on a yikes g4 it is a lot quicker, but then frankly thats not saying much compared to id2
post #9 of 34
does anyone know if there will be a new version of FrameMaker, and if it will work with OS X? FrameMaker must be the last app that they still have not said whether it is coming to x or not. I miss this great app.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by dividend
does anyone know if there will be a new version of FrameMaker, and if it will work with OS X? FrameMaker must be the last app that they still have not said whether it is coming to x or not. I miss this great app.

Good question. Do you think Adobe hope that InDesign will in some why 'replace' FM?

I don't know much about FM but ID now has alot of XML features too.
post #11 of 34
From Adobe's Website
Quote:
The complete design environment for print and Web publishing
The AdobeĀ® Creative Suite is an integrated design environment that combines full versions of Adobe's latest creative tools with innovative file-management features, a smooth Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) workflow, and comprehensive design resources to let you create and publish content for print and the Web faster and easier than ever before all at an unbeatable value.

NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #12 of 34
We've got our answer.

<Ignores duplicate thread>

I find the pricing most interesting. Upgrades of Photoshop are no longer at a premium. Who do we thank for this...iPhoto?
post #13 of 34
And it's all OS X only.

Adobe Press Release
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Mac
And it's all OS X only.

Adobe Press Release

And it includes product activation on the Windows version of Photoshop, and soon on the Mac version...
I'm lacto-enzyme-oxy intolerant!
I use breathatarian-based emollient
Meditation makes me ebullient!
I've never earned a day's emolument.
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by staphbaby
And it includes product activation on the Windows version of Photoshop, and soon on the Mac version...

What the hell does CS mean anyway?
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by New

I mean, I can see what it means, but what is new?
EDIT: Is this instead of Photoshop 8?
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by New

Apparently, they've improved workflow and integration between elements of the suite, as well as management of documents around workgroups (and their own custom open/save dialog box!)

As for why "creative suite" maybe they thought they needed to tell people that photoshop, indesign, illustrator etc are used for get this creating stuff.

\
post #18 of 34
first XP, then MX now CS,

Is it just me or are these new naming sceems just silly?

c'mon, Studio MX 2004, silly, silly, silly. At least it is now easier to see that you will be forced to upgrade once every year...
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I find the pricing most interesting. Upgrades of Photoshop are no longer at a premium. Who do we thank for this...iPhoto?

We thank the guy who's implemented 'product activation'.
post #20 of 34
"Warnock Pro" font collection? ROFL!!
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #21 of 34
I love the new features of InDesign CS! Apart from this strange new naming.

My favourite features are the Seperations Preview Palette and the new tabbed panels.
post #22 of 34
"Shipping by the end of november." !?!
post #23 of 34
I expect it's only a matter of months before a Photoshop 8 (now with G5 optimization)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #24 of 34
*merges this thread with "Adobe releases Creative Suite" thread*
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by New
"Shipping by the end of november." !?!

there is a tryout virsion on the site if you can't wate.
post #26 of 34
The tryout pages are not loading for me...
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by New
[B]first XP, then MX now CS,

Is it just me or are these new naming sceems just silly?
/B]

yup its a load of Crappy Shit.
post #28 of 34
why did adobe feel they had to change everythign all at once? every app updated at once (except acrobat), upgrade pricing scheme changed across the board (except acrobat), visual identity of packaging (ahem, except acrobat), and unnecessary "double letter" abbreviation renaming (except for, you guessed it, acrobat).

is this the same company?

and why is everything always different for acrobat? is it the bastard child of the product line, or the gifted child?

color me confused.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
"Warnock Pro" font collection? ROFL!!

actually warnock pro opentype font has been out for ages, and its really nice...
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777

What do you mean by that? Photoshop upgrades have typically been about $149. Now it's $169.
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
What do you mean by that? Photoshop upgrades have typically been about $149. Now it's $169.

Yikes! My bad. I forgot we deal in Canadian pesos up here. However if memory serves correctly, Photoshop upgrades have always been pricier that the other Adobe products. All the product upgrades are now priced at the same US169.
post #32 of 34
This is disturbing. I tried to "view demo" and this is what i get:

Adobe is rubbing me the wrong way lately. I refuse to download mediaplayer crap.

Edit to update: Yes, I sent Adobe an e-mail stating my dissatisfaction. Not that it will do any good, but I feel better letting them know.
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by naderby
I love the new features of InDesign CS! Apart from this strange new naming.

My favourite features are the Seperations Preview Palette and the new tabbed panels.

Yeah, those tabbed panels look smart and interesting.

Have to generally withhold comments until I actually use them, but if it works as it well as it looks like it might... I wouldn't be surprised if these UI features get folded into PS and Ill over time to help reduce Adobe's creeping palettetitis.

InDesign 3 / CS BTW looks amazing.
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Have to generally withhold comments until I actually use them, but if it works as it well as it looks like it might... I wouldn't be surprised if these UI features get folded into PS and Ill over time to help reduce Adobe's creeping palettetitis.

Yer and its interesting the ID has pinched the context sensitive info bar at the top of the screen from PS.

I wonder, do those palette spring back to the edge when not need or stay drawn out?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Perpetual "What's Next From Adobe?" Thread