or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"? - Page 15

post #561 of 590
The thread that will never die!

Every morning when I wake up, I hit the space bar to wake my PowerBook up and take a quick look at the display to make sure all didn't go to hell-on-a-white-spot the previous evening.
post #562 of 590
Nice desk paul, and nice lamp, I got the same one back home.

Yeah, I do the same when I wake up, after my shower I check out to pbook to make sure that no dead pixels or white spots are forming, though sometimes I get carried away and start actually USING it before I remember that I haven't eaten

I noticed your backlit keyboard doesn't seem to light up much over the arrow keys, Mine doesn't either, I can't really remember if it ever did, I can see that it's SUPPOSED to, because lights DO turn on behind the keys, but they are faint, maybe this is due to the keys peeling or sometihng...hmm.

any thoughts?

either way, I usually use my 'book late at night, and the backlit keyboard is really nice! though, the screen is usually bright enough to see the keys anyway , it;s still nice eye-candy, and it IS functional, to an extent

I think the backlight...WHOA right as I typed that it turned on...freaky

anyway, I think it would be better suited on a Black keyboard, because sometimes when the backlight only turns on about half way, the result is a grayish light over a gray keyboard, and it actually makes it DIFFICULT to see.

this is only in low light settings, when there is no light other than the display, the keyboard looks black except for the backlight....either way, I really hope Apple incorporates this feature onto their next pro keyboards. Because I have certainly had enough headaches with typing in the dark on my old Pro keyboard with my imac
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #563 of 590
I've noticed that a little. Seems the keys among the outer perimeter (the F keys, the tab, shift lock, command, control, arrow keys, shift, return) don't glow as strongly as all the letter and number keys in the center of the keyboard area.

They certainly glow, just not as bright and crisp. But it doesn't bother me. I can still see them fine in a dark room.

As for "illuminated keyboard everywhere", I think this is one of those "yeah, do it!!!" features because once you get past the initial "hey, cute gimmick..." reaction to it, you realize how nice and useful it is.

It would be cool if their standalone keyboards did this, as well as the next-generation/revision iBook (and, of course, the 12" PowerBook).

Those that didn't want or need it don't have to turn it on, but man...it makes all the difference in the world, typing late at night with the lights down low or off!

Would be cool to see it product-wide someday...
post #564 of 590
I set up a new 15 inch Powerbook for a client today. No problems with the screen that I could find, other than a stuck subpixel.
post #565 of 590
Hmm... well, mine isn't quite so perfect after all. I realise now that my battery is giving me about an hour and a half tops.

Still, I rang Apple and they're replacing it, no questions asked. And frankly, if this is the worst thing to ever go wrong with this beauty I'll be very happy indeed.

Did I mention the flawless screen.... :-)

Socrates
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
post #566 of 590
so as I was posting before my school iMac fried in mid post:

It seems Apple made some changes recently in the 15"s. I hear reports of the nwere ones being more solid and having less problems. A second batch perhaps, or a .5 rev?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #567 of 590
Keepin it alive!!!

I shipped my Powerbook off to Apple on Tuesday afternoon and got it back today at noon...VERY impressive in terms of speed. No white spots on my screen of course and not really expecting them...the bottom of my baby was scuffed up kinda bad, but nothing some buffing couldn't fix.
post #568 of 590
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
the bottom of my baby was scuffed up kinda bad, but nothing some buffing couldn't fix.

This made me wonder if anyone has actually polished the ally case all shiny yet or at last the top and bottom? anyone seen a piccy or brave enuf to take the buffing machine to theirs
post #569 of 590
I guess I'll be sending mine out after new years.

What I am sending it back for:

White Spots
Uneven Backlighting
Latch
Is it a problem if my powercord is REALLY loose and just a little bump can make it not charge anymore? When it is charging just moving the computer the slightest makes a different amber color that looks like a mix between green and orange I guess.

I'll post a picture in a second, but I've noticed small dots appearing where my left hand lays. But not where my right lays. Is this a problem or is it just because of sweat from my hand corroding that part? I mean is that even possible?

Too small for my camera to get, but it looks like somone went to town with a pin poking tons of minute holes.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #570 of 590
I posted this in genius bar....I cannot get mine to recongnize my snow base station at school. Another computer in the same room does. Tried restarting both the book and the station...nothing!

WTF?

OH...it works fine at home with the same snow-type station btw.
post #571 of 590
im sorry to revive this thread 2 months later, but i thought maybe someone would find this info helpful.

finally took my powerbook into the apple store for a keyboard replacement. i also got a chance to see how the detached keyboard looks like and how it it attached to the powerbook. it is actually pretty flimsy, and the backlighting lamp sits underneath it but is not part of the keypad. the keyboard has two sided tape on the bottom, and it basically is just taped down and it has one relay to connect it. the sound that a lot of people hear that sounds like tape being unstuck-- thats what it really is! if the keyboard is not taped down exactly flat, it will sink in a little or make that sticky sound. the first attempt at replacing the keyboard by the tech was all wrong, and i had them re-do it. i wanted to test the backlighting, but it was too bright in the store and it was bright daylight outside. when i got it home and tried the keyboard in the dark, i found that several keys no longer lighted up. i was told there is only one backlight lamp, so maybe something behind the new keyboard is obstructing the light. they will have to take it apart to find out. the keyboard replacement job isnt so great overall, and i am possibly regretting ever taking it in. <sigh>
"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and suffer the loss of his soul?"
post #572 of 590

post #573 of 590
I am really sorry to hear of your troubles Mac's Girl. I'm still going strong with my 15" and aside from a little scuffing on one corner where my watch band snagged it, all is going well. I absolutely love the dimming and so far so good on the keyboard, which I really like. I admit, though, that one of my G4^3 is now sitting idle as I have the PB hooked up to my 22" Cinema display when I'm at home and I don't have to do anything but plug in two cords to make everything work like a charm, open or closed.

The one trouble I've had was with my OfficeJet G55 printer, but that was more of a OSX.4 issue but now resolved.

I was wondering about the "white spot" issue people spoke of. Is that still out there and what should I do about that.

Again MG, I'm really sorry to hear of your trouble. My original flat-panel iMac 15" is still going strong at school and I'm burning DVDs/CDs and watching great stuff. Now if I could just figure out how to transfer my iPod's music to my PB (lost my original HD in a mega-crash, but that is a different story) I could feel content.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #574 of 590
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates

That's pretty cool.
post #575 of 590
pscates,

You've outdone yourself! Love that graphic!
post #576 of 590
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubit
INow if I could just figure out how to transfer my iPod's music to my PB (lost my original HD in a mega-crash, but that is a different story) I could feel content.

Rest at ease.....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #577 of 590
Thank you. I'll give it a go!
post #578 of 590
Quote:
Originally posted by mac's girl
the keyboard has two sided tape on the bottom, and it basically is just taped down and it has one relay to connect it. the sound that a lot of people hear that sounds like tape being unstuck-- thats what it really is! if the keyboard is not taped down exactly flat, it will sink in a little or make that sticky sound.

Oh my gosh, you're serious? Apple's using double-sided TAPE in a PowerBook? What the heck, budget problems? You can't just flick down two tabs to open the keyboard anymore?
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
post #579 of 590
Reading this thread and others like it elsewhere I have to wonder:

Am I the only one who bought a PowerBook last September that hasn't had to send it in for repair? My PB has been flawless (knock on wood) since day 1! The only functionality I haven't tried is FW800 & bluetooth.
post #580 of 590
Quote:
Originally posted by fred_lj
Oh my gosh, you're serious? Apple's using double-sided TAPE in a PowerBook? What the heck, budget problems? You can't just flick down two tabs to open the keyboard anymore?

Not on the backlit ones, no. They have to be a little bit more definitively positioned than the latched ones, as I understand it.

Well, I'm sending my 15"PBG4 AlBook in for the screen leprosy repair next week - anything I should have them check along with it? The lid latch seems a bit looser than it first was, and I have this weird crackling noise at times that seems to happen when the top 1" of my screen has a lot of white in it. No, really. Also, the SuperDrive goes Ka-KLUNK when I insert a disc in it.

Any *OTHER* known issues? :}
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #581 of 590
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Not on the backlit ones, no. They have to be a little bit more definitively positioned than the latched ones, as I understand it.

Well, I'm sending my 15"PBG4 AlBook in for the screen leprosy repair next week - anything I should have them check along with it? The lid latch seems a bit looser than it first was, and I have this weird crackling noise at times that seems to happen when the top 1" of my screen has a lot of white in it. No, really. Also, the SuperDrive goes Ka-KLUNK when I insert a disc in it.

Any *OTHER* known issues? :}

I have an optical drive and I also get the "Ka-KLUNK" sound like it just swallowed it and you aren't getting the media back

I have to send it in for the screen repair (spots, uneven backlight) and I'm going to ask if they replace my battery as it's capacity is only 3200 and most peoples are 4000 or so. I also have some minute holes (like somone attacked my PBook with a pin) under where my left hand rests, hopefully I can get them to give me a new case.

Is there a way to backup just your home folder? Also do techs REALLY care about warez?
post #582 of 590
You guys and gals are starting to get to me. Could someone explain the "white spot phenomenon" here [again, I know!]. I am beginning to see spots and blotches before my eyes. I, for one, never saw those dreaded "cracks" on the G4^3s I have. I believe you all that white spots or blotches do exist, but think that I may still be lucky enough not to have them.
post #583 of 590
They seemed to be dime-sized areas of white (or lighter areas) on the screens of the new 15" PowerBooks. Some say multiple ones, perhaps arranged in a diamond sort of pattern (pertaining to some internal structure cue?).

Mine never seemed to develop them, but they do indeed exist (or did) because I saw a guy in a nearby Subway one day with one and we struck up a conversation. I asked him about the white spots and he spun his PowerBook around and grinned and said "yeah, I got 'em...". Sure enough. Obvious white "blotches", about three of them. They kinda were arranged in a bit of a "baseball diamond" layout (minus third base). He was preparing to ship it off to Apple in a few days, so I'm sure he got it taken care of. That was around Thanksgiving.

The complaints definitely seem to have died down a bit, compared to November.
post #584 of 590
ok, i think its finally fixed now! the replacement keyboard wasnt positioned properly, and there was something behind it that was obstructing the backlight. the tech who took care of it this time knew what he was doing and was very good about it. the keyboard backlighting seems to be even better now than it was before too, brighter and more even. i guess these keyboards have to be positioned exactly right, or else you get the sinking, sticking, and poor keyboard backlighting issues.

i also have the dark screen spot that goes away after a couple of minutes of usage and a SD that goes kaKLUNK. but it all works so im not complaining. besides, i am not going thru the repair process again unless its absolutely necessary.
post #585 of 590
I've got the "ka-KLUNK" SuperDrive. Not bad or obnoxious, really. Just a healthy, audible "okay, I've got the disk now" sound.

post #586 of 590
Quote:
I've got the "ka-KLUNK" SuperDrive. Not bad or obnoxious, really. Just a healthy, audible "okay, I've got the disk now" sound.

Paul:

You have to admit that this model has had more problems than your usual PowerBook. I am using the 12-incher now, and I am happy since there aren't any problems with it. No K-klunks, no dark spots, no latch issues...
post #587 of 590
Um, I started the thread, so yeah...I think I do "have to admit" there have been a few "issues" with these new PowerBooks.

post #588 of 590
Quote:
Um, I started the thread, so yeah...I think I do "have to admit" there have been a few "issues" with these new PowerBooks.

I actually forgot that you started the thread.
post #589 of 590

Well it has been about four months, 14 pages and a bazillion posts ago.
post #590 of 590
Quote:

I agree completely. it never sounded like a problem to me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?