or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Powermac G4 dvd/cd-rw
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Powermac G4 dvd/cd-rw

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I was at the apple store online and I noticed that the powermac has a dvd/cd-rw option. Has that been there since these powermacs came out, or has that been recently?
post #2 of 15
Yes, the combo drive has been available since the QuickSilver PowerMacs introduction in July.
post #3 of 15
it is a cool option. The abilites to make DVDs that are playable in most (almost all) consumer DVD players, which there are about 2-3 million now. If you have ever been to Apple's website and seen iDVD or DVD Studio Pro then you can see how much fun one can have with the SuperDrive. Also, it can burn cd's a great drive!
word :cool:
post #4 of 15
The SuperDrive is not available in the PBG4. The combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) will burn CD's, but only play DVD's not burn them.

The SuperDrive would be amazing in the PBG4. Too bad it'd add a few hundred bucks to an already expensive laptop.
post #5 of 15
[quote]Originally posted by Cake:
<strong>The SuperDrive would be amazing in the PBG4. Too bad it'd add a few hundred bucks to an already expensive laptop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, let's work on getting the combo drive in the PBG4 first, then we'll worry about the SuperDrive.
post #6 of 15
Does anyone actually have the combo drive (dvd/cdrw) not the superdrive on their G4? What model drive is it? I have both a cdrw (firewire) and a dvd internal and would like to combine them. OS X Compatibility info would be great too.

PK
post #7 of 15
[quote]Originally posted by PK:
<strong>Does anyone actually have the combo drive (dvd/cdrw) not the superdrive on their G4? What model drive is it? I have both a cdrw (firewire) and a dvd internal and would like to combine them. OS X Compatibility info would be great too.

PK</strong><hr></blockquote>


look at <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/" target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/</a> has a huge compatibility list of DVD, CDR, SCSI
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
post #8 of 15
I have a Toshiba Combo drive (SD-R1102)...only cost me $150, works great under OS 9 and OS X. Much quieter than the DVD-ROM that came with my machine, and of course much faster. If you don't need to make any DVD's, I highly recommend it. And even if you do need to make them occasionally I think Toast Titanium allows you to do this without a Super Drive.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #9 of 15
[quote]Originally posted by Moogs ™:
<strong>If you don't need to make any DVD's, I highly recommend it. And even if you do need to make them occasionally I think Toast Titanium allows you to do this without a Super Drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>




software cannot make your combo drive burn dvds

what toast ti will do is burn a vcd, which most consumer dvd players should recognize
post #10 of 15
So basically what you're saying is that a VCD is simply a linear format movie that can be played from a regular CD-R disc, but on a DVD player (i.e. no menus, skipping around from spot to spot, etc)?

Spare me the rolleyes dude...I'm not a digital video geek. I just happened to notice Roxio's claim on the back of their box...made it sound like you could make DVD's without a Super Drive.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #11 of 15
[quote]Originally posted by Moogs :
<strong>Spare me the rolleyes dude...I'm not a digital video geek. I just happened to notice Roxio's claim on the back of their box...made it sound like you could make DVD's without a Super Drive.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Too bad that's not how it is though. That would be great.
post #12 of 15
Moogs, I'm pretty sure a video cd (VCD) is just thata DVD player video format burned onto a CD. Toast does this, but does not burn on a DVD.

How fast is the Combo drive you have, Moogs?
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
Reply
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
Reply
post #13 of 15
[quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:
<strong>Moogs, I'm pretty sure a video cd (VCD) is just thata DVD player video format burned onto a CD. Toast does this, but does not burn on a DVD.

How fast is the Combo drive you have, Moogs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

two types of VCD

VCD= MPEG 1 video. decent quality, bit less than VHS. 70 minutes or so to a CD
SVCD= MPEG 2 video. DVD quality but DVD file sizes therefore can ony fit a few minutes maybe 20 on a CD.
post #14 of 15
[quote]I just happened to notice Roxio's claim on the back of their box...made it sound like you could make DVD's without a Super Drive.<hr></blockquote>Toast Titanium can burn DVDs... provided you have a DVD-R/RW drive.
post #15 of 15
From Toast Titanium's help file:
[quote]Video CD Disc Structure

A Video CD has a capacity of about 70 minutes of video. It contains several tracks:[*]The first track is a standard ISO 9660 data track containing files that tell the Video CD player how to locate and play the other tracks on the disc. It may also store still pictures, playlists, and menus. The menus let you select from various tracks or "scenes" to play, and playlists let you present the various tracks in different orders.[*]The other tracks on the disc are audio and video tracks (one or more) that have been compressed into MPEG-1 format. Toast 5 Titanium can automatically compress digital video content into MPEG-1 format and record Video CDs that are playable on a wide variety of devices.<hr></blockquote>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Powermac G4 dvd/cd-rw