or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Laptop 5400rpm Hard Drive Choices...

Laptop 5400rpm Hard Drive Choices...

post #1 of 14
Does anyone make a 5400rpm Hard Drive that will fit in the iBook? Is IBM the ONLY company that makes 5400rpm laptop drives?
I'm making plastics right now!
post #2 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:
<strong>Does anyone make a 5400rpm Hard Drive that will fit in the iBook? Is IBM the ONLY company that makes 5400rpm laptop drives?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Nothing prevent Apple to put the 5400 rpm IBM laptop HD in the i book ; excepting too things : the prize and the marketing (the best HD is just an option for the Ti book)
post #3 of 14
I believe the current 5400 RPM drives from IBM are slightly too large (too tall, really) to fit in the iBooks. It's only by a couple millimeters, but still... too big. If not all of them, I'm almost certain that the 48 GB drive is too big.

-Ender
If you find yourself sided with the majority, it is time to change your thinking.

-Mark Twain
If you find yourself sided with the majority, it is time to change your thinking.

-Mark Twain
post #4 of 14
Anyone else?
post #5 of 14
Wouldn't a 5400rpm laptop drive reduce battery life?

If so, would it reduce the battery life drastically or only minimally?
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
post #6 of 14
Slightly. But I do not think it would be noticeable.
post #7 of 14
I remember that on the old AI board when the first 5411 RPM drive came out one person did the math and it came out to be something like 10 minutes difference if you get 5 hours on a battery. And that was assuming that the HD was running the entire time. And now, with the powerbooks using more battery power anyway (and having larger capacity batteries), that number would be further reduced. So battery life is not an issue here. I would be more concerned with the noise.

-Ender

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain
post #8 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:
<strong>
Nothing prevent Apple to put the 5400 rpm IBM laptop HD in the i book ; excepting too things : the prize and the marketing (the best HD is just an option for the Ti book)</strong><hr></blockquote>

The IBM Travelstar 48GH (the 5400 rpm drive) is 12.5 mm high. The iBook only has room for a 9 mm high drive. So, it's currently physically impossible to put this drive in an iBook, not because of price or marketing.
post #9 of 14
IBM has a few different HDs that will fit in the iBook. I was looking last night after thinking about getting one.
post #10 of 14
What 5400 RPM drives are currently made by IBM that are 9 mm? What capacities do they come in?

BTW- is the 30 GB drive in the current PB G4 5400 or 4800 RPM?

-Ender

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain
post #11 of 14
That's the thing. All of the 5411 drives IBM makes will not fit in the iBook.
post #12 of 14
Yeah, I took a look at their site a few days ago. Nothing 5400 (or 5411) RPM that will fit.

Did you notice that 60 GB 5400 RPM drive though? Holy shizzit! That's amazing. If I somehow manage to fill my 30 GB drive in my Ti 667, I'll probably get one of those. Damn. 60 GB in a laptop.

I'm sure that they will make a 5400 RPM 9mm drive as soon as they possibly can. I would guess that they either have heat problems or the mechanism won't fit in a space that small (yet).

BTW-have there been any comparisons between 4200 and 5400 RPM laptop drives? I'm just wondering how much of a difference it actually makes.

-Ender

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain
post #13 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by Ender:
<strong>Did you notice that 60 GB 5400 RPM drive though? Holy shizzit! That's amazing. If I somehow manage to fill my 30 GB drive in my Ti 667, I'll probably get one of those. Damn. 60 GB in a laptop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well filling up 30 GB isn't so hard. I've already filled my Ti 500's 30 GB drive. I'm quite excited about the new IBM drives and will definately get the "fast" 60 GB model. (10,000 RPM, like in my desktop, is what I really call fast.) Between data, apps, software and web development stuff, and audio/video stuff, not to mention my MP3s, how can you not need a big-azz drive?!

The fact that the 5400 RPM 60 gigger will be much quieter is a great bonus! My current drive makes all sorts of noise!

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Xool ]</p>
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #14 of 14
I've used half of my 30 GB drive. Most of that is with OS X/OS 9, Applications, and MP3s/MPEGs.

I don't do any video editing, so I don't need space for that. I do web development and do some work with relational databases, but those take next to no space to set up (few megs at most). It's the servers where I deploy to that need the monster drives (single databases exceeding 4 GB -- hundreds of thousands of records).

Really the only thing that I need much space for is full game installations. But it's usually possible to delete an old/unused game to make room for the new one. I can't wait for my Sacrifice pre-order to arrive!

-Ender

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Laptop 5400rpm Hard Drive Choices...