or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › If Steve jobs told you...

If Steve jobs told you...

post #1 of 81
if steve jobs told you he would grant ONE of your wishes for any apple product or peripheral, what would it be? obviously saying right now that you want a g6 doesnt count.... we're talking the near future...
post #2 of 81
I wish for an 8" widescreen subnotebook that could run Palm OS and Panther and have a hinge screen that folds over the keyboard like the Clio of old so that it could be used as a touchscreen tablet. No optical drive, only FW and USB and Airport, audio and video out.

It isn't that difficult to do, and would single-handedly take over a good percentage of the Japanese market.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #3 of 81
A friend of mine showed me his Newton MessagePad 2100 today... wow that thing is cool. I would say to resurrect the Newton, keeping a similar large-screen form factor but thinning it down by a lot. Of course it would have all new technologies as well like Airport (which would have to be quick and easy to turn off to avoid sucking down batteries) and Bluetooth. It is really a nifty device, way cooler than PDAs today. It has a big screen that can rotate to any orientation you want, a microphone and speaker, two PC card slots for memory cards or other upgrades (like ethernet or airport), and excellent handwriting recognition. It's an excellent halfway point between a PDA and a tablet. PDAs are too small and unwieldy (Graffiti? Give me a break!) to be useful, and tablets are large and unwieldy and overkill for most tasks. The Newton is "just right."
post #4 of 81
I'd have him make another Cube with Dual Processors and the ability to cluster between Cubes. That way I could add more grunt just by attaching another Node.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 81
The ability to transfer files really easily between computers using FireWire. Instead of having ethernet networks, have all firewire networks. Now that would be badass.

Does anyone know of a prog that allows that today?

It would semi-sweet to be able to have access to all hardrives on all the computers at one time in our house. All with Firewire connectivity. We have the technology, just not the App, that I can find.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I'd have him make another Cube with Dual Processors and the ability to cluster between Cubes. That way I could add more grunt just by attaching another Node.

and redesign the cube so that it is easily stackable, I'm thinking partnership with LEGO could help here
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #7 of 81
An OSX port to the IBM Power workstations, servers and massively parallel supercomputers with full 24/7 IBM support.
post #8 of 81
Easy: a nice widescreen 14-15" iBook with a 1-1.25GHz G4 in it and all the latest connectivity and I/O (USB 2, FireWire 800, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, etc.).

1152x768 resolution would be fine, as is 32MB graphics.

I say iBook because I prefer the look of it (at least the older, glossy-all-over version) to the titanium or aluminum. And it's MUCH more rugged and "luggable".

Somehow incorporate that handle from the toilet seat iBooks (updated to go well with the white, squarer enclosure of course) just for added "wow!" factor.

post #9 of 81
I would probably laugh in his face.

He'd of course want to prove he's not bullshitting me and say something like "No, really! Anything, I've got Ive on the phone right here"

"Anything, huh?"

"You heard me the first time, kid."

"Don't be a prick, I'm thinking"

"*sigh* hold on, Ive"

"Hmm" (I would take my time finding the perfect thing to ask for) " tricky" (I don't, so instead) " alright. I want an iPod not just any iPod, though, but one that makes Star Trek sound effects when buttons are pressed"

"What?"

"A phaser to fire for the select button and fast forwarding/rewinding, tricorder noises when the scroll wheel is touched"

"I could give you the night to think it over, really"

"I'M NOT FINISHED."

"Ugh Jon? Yeah why don't I just put you on with him?"

And then my dreams would come true.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
post #10 of 81
It'd be hard to decide between a resurrected Newton or a resurrected Cube.

The coolest products ever to be discontinued. \
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Dog Almighty
I would probably laugh in his face.

(Some Really Funny Stuff)

And then my dreams would come true.

Dog Almight that made my day.... good call!
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
post #12 of 81
A two button mouse.

post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
A friend of mine showed me his Newton MessagePad 2100 today... wow that thing is cool. I would say to resurrect the Newton, keeping a similar large-screen form factor but thinning it down by a lot. Of course it would have all new technologies as well like Airport (which would have to be quick and easy to turn off to avoid sucking down batteries) and Bluetooth. It is really a nifty device, way cooler than PDAs today. It has a big screen that can rotate to any orientation you want, a microphone and speaker, two PC card slots for memory cards or other upgrades (like ethernet or airport), and excellent handwriting recognition. It's an excellent halfway point between a PDA and a tablet. PDAs are too small and unwieldy (Graffiti? Give me a break!) to be useful, and tablets are large and unwieldy and overkill for most tasks. The Newton is "just right."

Someone gets it.
post #14 of 81
Sub $1K G4 mini-me tower.

Hotcakes I tell ya...

(The Star Trek iPod would be pretty bitchin' too)
post #15 of 81
I really wanted one after I used them today just because they're so cool, but I know for a fact that I'd never really use it, at least not nearly enough to justify the expense. But it is a neat toy.

On a related note, I should be getting my PowerBook 520c within a week or so. It's cheaper than a Newton, but not as cool.
post #16 of 81
a two touch pad mouse, no buttons, only pads. Steve is happy, we're all happy. (also throw in a scroll pad)

-walloo.

what would we be able to do with a two padded mouse?...you can now stop maggots from eating your cheese. see, making the world a better place.
post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Dog Almighty
not just any iPod, though, but one that makes Star Trek sound effects when buttons are pressed"

You DO realise that the iPod already does that (at least the 3G ones do)? Hold down (<<) (>>) and the middle button on startup. Then go to "5 IN 1".

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #18 of 81
I vote for a computer with a form factor similar to the Newton 2100. I am not sure if it should run Panther or an updated Newton OS. Newton OS is better designed for small screens and stylus input but it sure would be useful to be able to run the same programs on it as on my "real" computers. How much harder do you think it would be to use Panther on such a device than Newton or Palm OS?
post #19 of 81
OS X on Intel. I'm not dissing Apple by saying this, and I love my iPod and will destroy with extreme vengence anyone who tries to take it from me 8), but there's hardware out there, particularly in the laptop area, that suits me more than Apple's offerings. Apple's kit is nice, but it's never quite what I want.
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by peharri
OS X on Intel. I'm not dissing Apple by saying this, and I love my iPod and will destroy with extreme vengence anyone who tries to take it from me 8), but there's hardware out there, particularly in the laptop area, that suits me more than Apple's offerings. Apple's kit is nice, but it's never quite what I want.

If apple is not your "thang"... then post on a non apple-centric forum.
post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I think he has a right to his opinion. There is a case to be made for OS X on Intel, even though it might not make any business sense. Some people want a greater range of choices, or they want to be able to build their own machines. I'm sure a lot of people would build PCs and install OS X on them if it were possible, and I'm sure a lot of Mac users would buy 3 lb subnotebooks (hey escher ) to complement their desktops.

Again, it might not make any marketing sense, but to the consumer it's great because it would offer such a great range of choices.
post #22 of 81
Phone/ipod/organizer/camera thing.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride! Damnedest thing I ever saw."
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride! Damnedest thing I ever saw."
post #23 of 81
A tablet / Newton thing would be great -- it should be the form factor of the Star Trek padds: 8 " screen in a tiny titanium enclosure, that's what i'm dreaming of...

Just take the enclosure of the TiBook Screen, with half the size... the only problem is, you can't fit all the technological gizmos (processor, battery, drive, etc) into such a tiny space...

this pad would serve as a Mac for Email, surfing etc, and remote control your G5 wirelessly..
post #24 of 81
heck, I'm gonna second that two button mouse thing !!!!

TWO BUTTONS DAMNIT!

They could be clicking buttons, or touchpad buttons, I don't care ... I have no doubt Apple could do a good implementation of either one.

The OS is set up with all sorts of contextual menus for the right-click, but Apple won't make a two button mouse ?! ... come on !

Granted, I already have two two-button mice, but they just look like sht next to my pretty macs !

OK ... 'nuff ranting.

P.S>

I'd also like to see a two-button Apple trackball (love my Orbit).
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #25 of 81
Quote:

I'm not entirely sure how your comment is relevent to mine. How is wanting Apple's superior operating system on non-Apple hardware, and thinking the iPod's the best thing since sliced bread, a sign that "apple is not (my) 'thang'"?
post #26 of 81
I would have Jobs create the ultimate MacMaya Power bundle...

64 CPU G5 deskside 'visualization' machine
Massive RAM
Massive HDD space (RAID, duh)
Multiple graphics slots, with 'clustered' OpenGL cards ('real' OpenGL cards, not prosumer gaming cards) dumping to a brace of the mythical 30" Cinema Displays and a 18" Cintiq...

Apple buys Maya from Alias, along with most of their developers... Maya Unlimited (soon to be Mac only) shipping RSN...

Jobs sells RenderMan to Apple, the coders come along with it, and Apple provides Pixar with Ultra Top-Tier support, free for the life of both Pixar & Apple (somewhere out there on the web I have seen allusions to Pixar wanting to get out of the software business, and just concentrate on making movies), RenderMan made default renderer for the new Mac-only Maya Ultimate, fully integrated with real-time viewport action via hardware rendering (remember the 64 CPU beastie with multiple graphics pipelines?!?)...

Oh yeah, Apple fixes all the broken stuff in Maya that folks have screamed about for years, and then they actually listen to their customers about future upgrades...!

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot
TWO BUTTONS DAMNIT!

I'd ask for that too.

post #28 of 81
iPod with line input (sleek XLR adapter) and uncompressed 48Khz aif and compressed option of aac format.

Hmm. Don't need Denon compact Flash recorder anymore...

That and a new cube.
post #29 of 81
Could I ask Steve for his personal setup?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #30 of 81
You guys could ask for anything and you want a two button mouse?

How about better priced dual G5s or a slick tablet that will make everyone forget how cool the newton was.
post #31 of 81
I'd ask for a free version of every piece of Apple hardware/software to be released from now on.

Of course I'd only ask for that because I want to help Apple test the products
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #32 of 81
A small (and cheap) G3/G4 board for OSX based OEM applications.
post #33 of 81
cMac.
G3 1 at $510, G4 1 at $600, G5 1.5 at $1,624 or so.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #34 of 81
cMac.
G3 1 at $510, G4 1 at $600, G5 1.5 at $1,624 or so.
Expanded iMac form factor. Features no monitor, curvy design, 1 PCI slot for expansion.
post #35 of 81
Quote:

This is hardly fair. I completely disagree with the idea that PC hardware, especially laptops is even in the same league as Apple's current lineup, but I can see why people, especially those on a budget, would disagree.

Maybe it's just me, but Apple has always been about the OS. This idea of them making the coolest high-tech hardware is relatively new. Go back a few years and Apple was making beige towers just like every other PC manufacturer.

Since Apple will clearly never have competitively priced hardware, I think it might not be a bad idea for them to release OS X for intel. I fear that if they did though, their hardware sales would fall to the point that they would not be able to continue manufacturing their own (certainly eductaion and businesses would not be interested in buying cool hardware if there were cheaper alternatives). And that would be a shame.

Socrates
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
post #36 of 81
Quote:

Get a life Wickes. He can post on this forum if he wants to. Besides, he owns more Apple kit than I do. Perhaps Apple's notebook offerings don't quite do what he wants them to do? How exactly would that make him a jerk when this is a common complaint of the Mac faithful about Apple's PB's? He is hardly trolling. FOr example, maybe he needs seven hour battery life!
King Felix
King Felix
post #37 of 81
I would ask Steve to lower his profit margins from 27% to 10%. This of course would bankrupt Apple, so maybe I would just ask to be able to borrow Steve's RDF.
King Felix
King Felix
post #38 of 81
G5 gaming cube, when it reaches 3.0 Ghz on a 0.09nm.

With a 8x AGP Radeon 9800 256 Mb VRAM of course..
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #39 of 81
I want that rumored 30 inch Apple Studio Display.
post #40 of 81
Safari in my pocket. Full color, full functionality.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › If Steve jobs told you...