or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Got an indigo CD-RW iMac today...help out please? (updated)

Got an indigo CD-RW iMac today...help out please? (updated)

post #1 of 12
They got it for me where I teach. It's pretty cool....at least I don't have to lug in the Pismo every single day now. 500mhz is feeling a little sluggish though.

BTW, what is the best way to transfer files? Can I do it via an ethernet cable? The 'book has no removable writable storage so.....

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 12
If you have an Ethernet crossover cable then you can do it over Ethernet.
post #3 of 12
Firewire target disk mode!
Matvei

"they want to be on 'God's' good side; they want to be saved; want 70 virgins, or raisins, or whatever . . ." -Pfflam
Matvei

"they want to be on 'God's' good side; they want to be saved; want 70 virgins, or raisins, or whatever . . ." -Pfflam
post #4 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by Matvei:
<strong>Firewire target disk mode!
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I forgot about that.
post #5 of 12
You have two options:
1) ethernet filesharing
2) FireWire target disk mode

1)
Either buy an Ethernet cross-over cable and file share with the iMac or plug the PowerBook into the network and file share with the iMac. This is a slow process if you have many GB of data to transfer.

2)
If you tons of GBs to transfer, this is the preferred mode. Buy a FireWire 6-6 cable. Turn off the PowerBook and plug the FireWire cable into it and the iMac. Boot the PowerBook BUT hold down the 'T' key until you see the FireWire icon after a few seconds. The PowerBook OS will not load. If you look on your iMac desktop, you will now see a new hard drive -- that's your PowerBook now acting as an external hard drive. Just drag and drop to copy the contents onto the iMac.

Like, I really had something clever to say, like, you know ...
Like, I really had something clever to say, like, you know ...
post #6 of 12
What kind of firewire cable do I need? Can I just use a standard double male end ethernet cable? I tried that...but I didn't reboot...do I need to?....thanks

I assume 6-6 is just a double male end firewire connector?
post #7 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
<strong>What kind of firewire cable do I need? Can I just use a standard double male end ethernet cable? I tried that...but I didn't reboot...do I need to?....thanks

I assume 6-6 is just a double male end firewire connector?</strong><hr></blockquote>

For ethernet, you need a crossover cable. This looks identical to a normal cable but is used to connect two computers, as opposed to put them on a network.

The 6 in the firewire thing referrs to the # of pins, I think.

post #8 of 12
OK. I picked up a crossover today after searching in vein for the 6-6 firewire. Think I'll order one anyway, though.

Anything special I need to know about doing it over ethernet crossover? I assume I use file sharing? I wish the iMac had a freakin IR port.
post #9 of 12
OK, stupid as it sounds I'm still at a loss. I can't seem to get the iMac to recognize the PB over crossover ethernet......how do I do it????

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
post #10 of 12
*Make sure that AppleTalk is set to ethernet (in the AppleTalk control panel) on both machines

*Make sure that file sharing is activated on both machines (either from the control strip or File Sharing control panel)

*Make sure that you as a user are established in File Sharing (either in the target or both machines)

That's all I can think of.

edit: typo

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
post #11 of 12
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottiB:
<strong>*Make sure that AppleTalk is set to ethernet (in the AppleTalk control panel) on both machines

*Make sure that file sharing is activated on both machines (either from the control strip or File Sharing control panel)

*Make sure that you as a user are established in File Sharing (either in the target or both machines)

That's all I can think of.

edit: typo

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]</strong>[/QUO\\TE]

Well I got it working. But only for awhile. I'll keep trying.
post #12 of 12
You should really try FireWire Target Disk Mode. I use it all the time to transfer files between my iBook and iMac. It's very fast and requires nothing but a cable and a restart.
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Got an indigo CD-RW iMac today...help out please? (updated)