or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Whatcha Listening To? Thread v3

Whatcha Listening To? Thread v3 - Page 6

post #201 of 916
Saint Etienne - Wood Cabin

The Little Killers - Spider
post #202 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Dave Clarke 'Devils Advocate' (album)

WTF? When did DC release a new album? Is it any good?

Now playing:

Swag vs. Clipse - Grindin' (Danger Dub) Amazing track this. Swag bootleg of Grindin' and the Sean Paul vocal from the Grindin' Selector Remix. Mutant dancehall hip-hop at its finest.

Radio 4 - Electrify (The DFA Version) Like 1981 never went away.

Gregory - Tropical Soundclash Hard to describe. Shakira meets Fela Kuti at a loft party with Derrick Carter on the decks. In France.
post #203 of 916
Just DL'd a couple of tracks from Jay-Z's forthcoming Black Album (don't worry, I'll be buying this one). So far it's sounding reaaaal good. Standout is the Kayne West produced Lucifer, which absolutely rules.
post #204 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
Just DL'd a couple of tracks from Jay-Z's forthcoming Black Album (don't worry, I'll be buying this one). So far it's sounding reaaaal good. Standout is the Kayne West produced Lucifer, which absolutely rules.

I've heard a few (most) of the songs from the album and think its pretty wack...there are a few good songs but its standard Jigga man. I think "Moment Of Clarity" is actually the best song on there...but the production is mostly a let-down, especially the Neptunes tracks...they are GARBAGE! Jay still doesnt have much lyrical content either, he relies on the fact that his flow is very good. No Reasonable Doubt though like I had hoped. That sample on "Lucifer" is so funny LOL....I am a big fan of Kanye's work, especially the joints he produced on Talib Kweli's "Quality" album. He definitely makes some bangers. Also the 9th Wonder-produced track "Threat" is soooo weak especially comin from him. I was really hyped about him getting on this album because his work with Little Brother is so good...but the beat's just a tempo change of R Kelly "Woman's Threat". This was his chance to shine with a commercial artist and he picked that?!?!? Oh and the leak was a test btw....hes got 2 more songs awaiting as a surprise

And I have the 'Grindin' reggae remix ....its got Kardinal Offishall on there too
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #205 of 916
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

[Recurring Rap Rant]
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO GOOD RAP ACTS LIKE THIS?

Black Sheep? Snoop Dogg? Cypress Hill? The Fugees?

And then before that? NWA was good, as were all of the solo acts that spun off.

But what now? 50 Cent? Christ, that's garbage. Even Eminem has 20 duds for each good track.
[/RRR]

For an excellent selection of rap circa 1992, get the Brand New Heavies' "Heavy Rhyme Experience". Possibly the best rap album ever.
post #206 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by Argento
This might not be the right thread to put it in, but does anybody know if Toto made a christmas album?

The thread you are looking does not exist.

ANYWHERE.

post #207 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot

ANYWHERE.

Thank our lucky stars.
post #208 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerWoods99
I've heard a few (most) of the songs from the album and think its pretty wack...

I dunno...what I've heard so far is the strongest stuff Jay has done lyrically in a long time. He's no Biggie, but there's some clever sh1t on there...and it also seems like he's being pretty honest (that line from Moment of Clarity "truth be told lyrically I'd probably be Talib Kweli - truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense").

It doesn't surprise me that the Neptunes track is a low point since Clones was such a big disappointment. I haven't heard the Rick Rubin track (99 Problems) either, but I hear its weak.
post #209 of 916
Captian -- Dave Matthews Band
FreeBird -- Lynard Skynard
Dressing Up -- The Cure
A.N.!!!!!
A.N.!!!!!
post #210 of 916
Quote:
WTF? When did D(ave) C(larke) release a new album? Is it any good?

The album came out just this past Monday. Fantastic album. Like his last album, 'Archive Vol. 1', it contains its fair share of 4/4 techno tracks such as 'Way Of Life' & 'The Wiggle' and an amazingly good rap track called 'Blue On Blue' featuring Mr. Lif.

There's nothing quite as strong as his Red EP's, but it is a solid collection of tracks.

I've read a few recent interviews with him, and he is moving away from DJ'ing to concentrate on being an album artist. Hopefully we won't have to wait another 6 years for another one.

NP: Primal Scream - Some Velvet Morning (Feat. Kate Moss) (Two Lone Swordsmen Mix)
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #211 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot

ANYWHERE.

Thankfully I have to agree with you. However this is just kinda a joke between this girl and I and well it's a long story. Anyway if I they did make one I need to get it for her sooooo I'm asking if anybody might know of this unGodly album?
And all that could have been.
And all that could have been.
post #212 of 916
what's so bad about Toto?
post #213 of 916
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

[Recurring Rap Rant]
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO GOOD RAP ACTS LIKE THIS?

Black Sheep? Snoop Dogg? Cypress Hill? The Fugees?

And then before that? NWA was good, as were all of the solo acts that spun off.

But what now? 50 Cent? Christ, that's garbage. Even Eminem has 20 duds for each good track.
[/RRR]

For an excellent selection of rap circa 1992, get the Brand New Heavies' "Heavy Rhyme Experience". Possibly the best rap album ever.

Del is awesome....hes just unlike anybody out there. Yeah, older rap stuff is definitely better....I actually find myself listnin to old records more, like ATCQ, Wu-Tang, KRS One, Rakim, EPMD, Gangstarr, Kool G Rap, etc. The golden age of rap was like 92-96, when killer albums were comin out left and right every single week...thats when the record store was keepin cats broke. Now that corporate America has gotten a hold of "hip hop", skill isnt necessary and they just sell a moniker to consumers. The good stuff is all underground and doesnt get rotation on MTV/BET/the radio.
post #214 of 916
Quote:
I dunno...what I've heard so far is the strongest stuff Jay has done lyrically in a long time. He's no Biggie, but there's some clever sh1t on there...and it also seems like he's being pretty honest (that line from Moment of Clarity "truth be told lyrically I'd probably be Talib Kweli - truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense").

It doesn't surprise me that the Neptunes track is a low point since Clones was such a big disappointment. I haven't heard the Rick Rubin track (99 Problems) either, but I hear its weak.

Yea...its definitely better than all the others (minus RD) but that isnt saying a whole lot. Hes still talkin bout his Maybach Benz though n shit....plus Jay-Z is NOTORIOUS for biting Biggie's lines. On Moment Of Clarity he also admits to being a sell out "I dumbed down for my audience to double my dollars" ....what the hell is that??? And yea the Talib line "If skills sold truth be told, Id probably be- lyrically Talib Kweli" is my favorite for a good reason.

And that Rick Rubin track is pretty weak....its almost like a rock beat.

P.S. WTF is goin on with my post count? It keeps lowering and stuff...I think it went down everytime I posted here. This is a joke or somethin?
post #215 of 916
2Pac & Biggie- Runnin'
post #216 of 916
Elvis Costello - Radio Radio
post #217 of 916
Ben Folds
"There's always someone cooler than you"
Sunny 16 -- EP
post #218 of 916
'Get It Together' - The Beastie Boys
post #219 of 916
'Sabrosa' - The Beastie Boys
post #220 of 916
Yellowcard- Inside Out
post #221 of 916
Since upgrading to a 40GB iPod, I've been ripping CD's like crazy on to my PowerBook, and I discovered a gem.

When I was in my early 20's I work a short stint at Mute Records US as an unpaid intern. Since we didn't accept unsolicited demos, I took home a couple of the better produced ones for my own listening (along with all of the CD's I took out of the Mute and Elektra catalogues).

Of these there was from a band called Secondculture. Today, I listened to the first track, and it was awesome! The first half sounds just like Radiohead's latest album, but it was recorded in 1993. Very progressive stuff.
post #222 of 916
New York State of Mind -- Billy Joel
A.N.!!!!!
A.N.!!!!!
post #223 of 916
got to give it up - marvin gaye

the 12 minute version
post #224 of 916
'Five Millenia Later' - Eric Serra (Soundtrack of 'The Fifth Element')
post #225 of 916
Linkin Park- Ppr:Kut (Cheapshot & Jubacca ft. Rasco & Planet Asia)
post #226 of 916
American Nightmare - Background Music
post #227 of 916
Sell My Soul by Midnight Oil.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
post #228 of 916
Brian McKnight- Back Seat (Gettin' Down)
post #229 of 916
'Couldn't Care Less' - The Cardigans
post #230 of 916
Bartender -- Dave Matthews Band
A.N.!!!!!
A.N.!!!!!
post #231 of 916
please - lamb
from the album between darkness and wonder (2003)
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
what's so bad about Toto?

i can't feel my hand any more, it's allright, sleep still - múm
from the album finally we are no one (2002)
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #232 of 916
Little Killers - Volume

If you don't like this shite you're a freaking pussy mother f**ker!
post #233 of 916
the shining, badly drawn boy, the hour of bewilderbeast. I'm thinking about seeing him this weekend, so I bought this from the iTMS to see if it's worth it.
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
post #234 of 916
Pitch Black- Its All Real

this ish is dope
post #235 of 916
Phish - Golgi Apparatus
post #236 of 916
Thursday - This Side of Brightness
post #237 of 916
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

I just started a second job about 4 weeks ago at a place, you should hear how rehearsed the whole store sounds when this comes on. Everybody sings a different part, substituting some lyrics with their own about the store or other employees. I think I like this place.
post #238 of 916
Nas- N.Y. State Of Mind
post #239 of 916
emmylou harris - stumble into grace cd

while i'm cleaning......ughhhhhhh
post #240 of 916
Tiny Dancer by Elton John.

Cheesey I know, but I like it, so bugger off!
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Whatcha Listening To? Thread v3