or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Best FTP Client

Best FTP Client

post #1 of 20
I am new to using an FTP Client, I currently have fetch 4.0. Is there another one that is better? easier to use?
post #2 of 20
I think you'll hear A LOT of people here - myself included - heartily recommend Transmit.

It's all I've used for nearly two years now.
post #3 of 20
yes, if you want best ftp client, i don't think anything rivals transmit right now for user interface and features.

BUT, if you are a student, fetch is free and is halfway decent, so...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #4 of 20
Hmm, FTPeel would be such a rival to Transmit. http://freshlysqueezedsoftware.com/products/ftpeel/

Also, if you only need SCP, you could use http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/
post #5 of 20
damn, someone just told me about fugu (and i hadn't checked back to this thread to see your suggestion for it too, chucker). it looks eerily similar in funcion and arrangement to panic's transmit (but without the pretty icons). i mean, i am sure there are other differences, such as bbedit integration, and active previews, but for most people, this FREE front end to the software built into mac os x is a nice alternative...

(though, to be honest, i like supporting the folks at panic)

post #6 of 20
Friend of Fetch here.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #7 of 20
I got Fetch free because I'm a student. It works just great. And it's a venerable application - it also runs perfectly well on my PowerBook 520c.

RBrowser Lite is free, but it's pretty confusing and difficult to use.

Also, a search for "FTP Client" turns up 80+ results, many of which are relevant... I'm not meaning to be a jerk, it's just that I've seen this same question asked and answered so many times.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
Also, a search for "FTP Client" turns up 80+ results, many of which are relevant... I'm not meaning to be a jerk, it's just that I've seen this same question asked and answered so many times.

Can one of these threads just become a sticky? It's starting to show up every week now.
What the problem is?
What the problem is?
post #9 of 20
Whatever happened to good old ftp?

[MyMac:~] username$ ftp ftp.apple.com

It's simple, fast, stable, no nonsense and takes roughly 30 seconds to learn if you know anything at all about using the command line. If this is not the case, my apologies.

By the way, ftp via the Finder is greatly improved in Panther, I hear. Drag and drop should be nice too...though I'll still use the command line ftp for its ability to resume broken downloads.

Blueflame
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor...

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Blueflame
Whatever happened to good old ftp?

[MyMac:~] username$ ftp ftp.apple.com

It's simple, fast, stable, no nonsense and takes roughly 30 seconds to learn if you know anything at all about using the command line. If this is not the case, my apologies.

I've tried using command line FTP, but I don't get it. Could you explain?

Basically, it always asks for a username and password even for a public FTP. So I can't use it, it keeps asking me for a name and password.
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
Basically, it always asks for a username and password even for a public FTP. So I can't use it, it keeps asking me for a name and password.

username: anonymous
password: user@domain.com <your email address>

That's it.
post #12 of 20
I've been using fetch for years and love it, but here are some others you can try:

Captain FTP
FTPeel
Transmit
Fugo
Vicom FTP Client
RBrowser light
NetFinder
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #13 of 20
Every now and then I tinker with LiFTP if I need it. It does the job. Still can't figure out how to set permissions with it though.
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
post #14 of 20
Transmit if you want to pay, Terminal if not. Also FTP in finder in panther says you can only connect to read only FTP servers, You cannot upload with panther FTP.. Thats what it says anyways.
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #15 of 20
Correct. The FTP in the Finder in 10.3 has improved stability, but it still does not allow you to upload.

BOO APPLE!
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy
Transmit if you want to pay, Terminal if not. Also FTP in finder in panther says you can only connect to read only FTP servers, You cannot upload with panther FTP.. Thats what it says anyways.

Transmit if you want to pay, Fugu if not.
post #17 of 20
fetch is hard to use

fetch user here
post #18 of 20
RBrowser Lite is free, but it's pretty confusing and difficult to use.

RBrowser Lite user here
-=:[T]:=-
-=:[T]:=-
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Res

Captain FTP

Captain FTP is nice. I've been using it for a month or two now.
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
post #20 of 20
Just downloaded Fugu. It kicks ass! Although I got Fetch for free, Fugu is far better and now I use it exclusively.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Best FTP Client