or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Xitel MD-Port AN1

Xitel MD-Port AN1

post #1 of 6
has anyone used the Xitel MD-Port AN1 ( <a href="http://www.xitel.com/index2.htm" target="_blank">http://www.xitel.com/index2.htm</a> ) successfully under 10.1.x ?

It looks like a useful solution for USB - analogue for an old MD player I have.

Any thoughts ?

cheers
adam
post #2 of 6
Noone ?

its not all that expensive anyway, but I just wondered how it would work in conjunction with iTunes.... given the details on their site I suspect taht all you do is play the song and record wit the MD.... their other model is the digital transfer so i assume this one will be real time (slow).

It seem like I would not even have to unplug my HK soundsticks either...?

Anyone ?

Cheers
adam
post #3 of 6
I've got the DG2 model (all digital), and it works fine under OSX. Shows up under the sound control panel, and all you need is to select it, and audi plays through it.

Whatever you do though, it will be real-time, you can't do faster on a MD.
Soyons réalistes, Demandons l'impossible.
Soyons réalistes, Demandons l'impossible.
post #4 of 6
Thanks Syn. I am getting one this morning. Ill let you all know how useful it is/is not for recording to analogue from a Quicksilver 867.
Cheers
Adam
post #5 of 6
Ive got it. it works no problems. Plug in the USB.....The AN1 appears as an option in the sound management (next to my soundsticks). Can change between them no problems and delivers good analogue sound out. I bet their digital model that Syn has is just as smooth. X.1.2 - USB sound is great.

cheers
Adam
post #6 of 6
Umm.. I'm a little perplexed here.. Why did you buy an external USB-to-analog box when you already have an analog out from your sound card?

Basically, you just paid for a device that will give (probably) poorer sound quality than what you have built in. Apple's built in sound cards are quite good, and the DACs and OpAmps in that little USB device are probably pretty cheap. Also, USB audio is sometimes prone to getting artefacts in it from other data on the bus.

If you had an MD with an optical in, then it would make sense to get the DG-2 model, but why the analog one?

(unless your sound card is broken or something...)

-robo
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Xitel MD-Port AN1