or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › I Absolutely Love the New iMac

I Absolutely Love the New iMac

post #1 of 50
Everything about it is absolutely stunning. I would buy it for the chrome arm alone!

An 800 MHz G4 processor?! With GeForce2?! That's just staggeringly amazing! Since when is Apple in the business with impressing us with performance specs?

It's beautiful, it's fast, and it's affordable (though the low end should be dropped by a few hundred dollars). I would buy one at the drop of a hat.

- Pook
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #2 of 50
I agree, after seeing it from several different angles, the new iMac is gorgeous.
post #3 of 50
I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.
post #4 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by deestar:
<strong>I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I have to Ditto that!

Why, oh why not a 133 bus at least! They always manage to hobble the machine in one way or another.
post #5 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by strazi:
<strong>I agree, after seeing it from several different angles, the new iMac is gorgeous.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Different angles? Heck, man, it's round!
oy!
oy!
post #6 of 50
<strong>I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. That's the only problem with it.
post #7 of 50
But, but.

Then you would be identical to the PM's sans PCI slots.
post #8 of 50
iLike the G3 iMac.
post #9 of 50
"I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap."

c'mon. it's a CONSUMER machine.
post #10 of 50
I just don't like round and white....round and white is in the bathroom...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #11 of 50
Hard as it may be to believe, it's now Current Hardware. Moving...
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #12 of 50
thinking i'm gonna love it....will know soon enough i guess since i just now managed to order it....tough getting through the apple store...must be lots of hits....g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #13 of 50
[quote]"I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap."

c'mon. it's a CONSUMER machine.<hr></blockquote>

Exactly. That's why it should have 133MHz bus with PC133 RAM and an ATA100 interface.

The pro machines should have a 133MHz bus with DDR RAM and an ATA133 interface. Unfortunately, Apple is always one or two steps behind the curve.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
post #14 of 50
If apple had put faster bus speeds for the processor and HD, it may have driven the price point beyond what it is now. Give it some time. The original iMac shipped with ATA/33 fer God's sake. Anyway, next revision gets a speed bump and improved internals.

Wait for it...

Also, why the hell didn't they put USB 2.0 in there?
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
post #15 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by Silverlode:
<strong>"I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap."

c'mon. it's a CONSUMER machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's your point?
post #16 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by thegelding:
<strong>thinking i'm gonna love it....will know soon enough i guess since i just now managed to order it....tough getting through the apple store...must be lots of hits....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had a heck of a time getting in there too. Kept getting these damned internal server errors...

Got the order through in about 5-10 minutes... I wonder how many thousand sonsabitches got in before me...
post #17 of 50
I like the new machine, but... Apple lost me as a customer anyway. Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about 2280 US Dollars in Germany!!!

Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
post #18 of 50

Sure, it's a little disappointing maybe... but "pure crap" it isn't.

There wre several people here (myself included) saying they were buying a new LCD iMac even if it hit 800-900 MHz with a G3.

A G4 is like a bonus to me.

Anyway, if you're doing work where you are going to REALLY notice a slowdown from a 100MHz bus, then you're not iMac material anyway.
post #19 of 50
[quote]Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about [b]2280 US Dollars in Germany<hr></blockquote>

Don't blame Apple for your getting ****ed on the exchange in Germany! (but man, I do feel for you... that's brutal)

That top model is a great deal at $1799 US, plain and simple.
post #20 of 50
I totally love it! PERFECT!
post #21 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by murbot:
<strong>Don't blame Apple for your getting ****ed on the exchange in Germany! (but man, I do feel for you... that's brutal)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I don't blame Apple for the bad exchange rate. I blame them for charging almost 500 bucks more for the same computer.

Makes sense?
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
post #22 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by danB:
<strong>I like the new machine, but... Apple lost me as a customer anyway. Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about 2280 US Dollars in Germany!!!

Are there other American-made "name brand" computers (not something generic) with 15" LCD and Superdrive, for less than $2280 converted from DM?
post #23 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:
<strong>

Are there other American-made "name brand" computers (not something generic) with 15" LCD and Superdrive, for less than $2280 converted from DM?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it's hard to find something similar to the iMac, cause it's such a unique machine.

But I went into the badlands (a.k.a. Dell's Onlineshop) and configured a machine with FireWire, TFT 15", Harman Kardon speakers and so on (lacking the Super drive, but instead I'd get a usual CD burner, 3 PCI slots and a 64MB GeForce2 in a 4x AGP slot). Final price: 1700 $. And not 2280.
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
post #24 of 50
...oh, did I mention that the Dell thingy I just mentioned has 256 Megs of DDR-RAM and an Ultra-ATA 100 HDD?

Well, I still like Apple, they build cool machines and have the best OS on this planet. But it's just too expensive.
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
post #25 of 50
Topic: I Absolutely Love the New iMac
/agree

and I believe that the 133 Mhz is only a jumper setting away...wait 4 months, iMac will become cheaper and way more powerful...
post #26 of 50
You know what will be real fun?

Smoking almost evry other Mac out there, Powermac or not (at least for a short while).

SdC
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #27 of 50
<strong>I like the new machine, but... Apple lost me as a customer anyway. Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about 2280 US Dollars in Germany!!!

Hey that's a steal LOL Have you seen the price in Belgium? It's even more expensive. ------------------------ my heart stopped pounding
post #28 of 50
I will marry the new iMac.

(Just as soon as I can afford the wedding).

Release the most expensive model first?

Very, Very, Clever, Mr Jobs.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #29 of 50

Very, Very, Clever, Mr Jobs.

yes...but i wanted the top of the line anyway, so i'm glad that they didn't release it last....of course if it was upgrade/released last, maybe i would wait for revision B with 133pc and whatever else is slightly lacking....still i will use this iMac for many years and be quite happy i think...till one of the kids steals it off to college...g
post #30 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by philbot:
<strong>

Very, Very, Clever, Mr Jobs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that line about "Well, these will be the most popular so......."

Total crap. He'll be able to report larger revenue totals for the quarter because the majority of the sales were of the $1800 variety.....

Ah, well. Spin, spin, spin......

SdC
post #31 of 50
<strong>

Well, I don't blame Apple for the bad exchange rate. I blame them for charging almost 500 bucks more for the same computer.

Makes sense?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well roll me in shit and call me a moron.

Since your post began with "Calculating with current exchange rates..." I assumed that's what you meant.

My mistake. I'm so excited about this damn iMac I'm obviously not seeing straight.

And releasing the most expensive model first is pretty smart on Apple's part. If I was planning on buying low end though, I'd be mighty pissed!!

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
post #32 of 50

Pessimist! Dont you know anything! The iMac is the digital hub that crunches enough numbers for a CONSUMER machine. My god, how outrageous a statement is that?! The iMac fulfills the digital hub from Apple, the industry will be playing catchup for quite some time.
post #33 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by the Belgian waffle:
<strong>

Hey that's a steal LOL Have you seen the price in Belgium? It's even more expensive. ------------------------ my heart stopped pounding</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's with all this DM crap?
Surely it should all be in Euro's in all EuroLand?
Or was Apple too busy to notice one of the most important things to happen over the holiday?

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Mediaman ]</p>
It took me ages to find this post without my image sig
It took me ages to find this post without my image sig
post #34 of 50
I love it, I just love it.
However the option for a GF3 and ata 100 would be cool. The front side bus wouldnt hurt.
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
post #35 of 50
If they made it black, I'd buy one-the low end though. Since I have to wait till March, I will probably buy the low end tower when they inevitably drop the price to a more earthly $1299. Then I'll buy a black NEC monitor to go with it...................
post #36 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:
<strong>What's with all this DM crap?
Surely it should all be in Euro's in all EuroLand?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure! And the Apple prices are in Euros, too. 't was me who converted it to DM (call it nostalgia or something...)
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
Hiroshima 45
Tschernobyl 86
Windows 2000
post #37 of 50
<strong>

Makes sense?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, you do realize that the German total already includes MwSt., whereas in the US Apple store, all prices are given without taxes?

Bye,
RazzFazz
post #38 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by iChmul:
<strong>Topic: I Absolutely Love the New iMac
/agree

and I believe that the 133 Mhz is only a jumper setting away...wait 4 months, iMac will become cheaper and way more powerful... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't expect too much of a boost here.
Even DDR (which is like going from 133MHz to 266MHz) doesn't give you any really impressive results, and going from 100MHz to 133MHz is a much smaller change.

Bye,
RazzFazz
post #39 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:
<strong>I love it, I just love it.
However the option for a GF3 and ata 100 would be cool. The front side bus wouldnt hurt.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's it with ATA100?
I mean, you can't even stick a second hard disk in the iMac, and single IDE drives only barely max out ATA33 nowadays...

Bye,
RazzFazz
post #40 of 50
I have a few questions...

- What is ATA66/ATA100 and how does this effect speed?
- What speed is the new iMac's HD? 5400 rpm? or 7200?
- IS there a fan in there?

Overall I think the iMac is a hit and will sell like hotcakes.
:: Macbook pro
:: iPhone 3G
:: iPad
:: Macbook pro
:: iPhone 3G
:: iPad
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › I Absolutely Love the New iMac