or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › XServe G5 on Apple Mailing List

XServe G5 on Apple Mailing List

post #1 of 60
Just noticed this message on the XGrid mailing list that popped up a few days ago.

Either someone missed the 4 on their keyboard a couple times or new hardware is floating around..
post #2 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Stecs
Just noticed this message on the XGrid mailing list that popped up a few days ago.

Either someone missed the 4 on their keyboard a couple times or new hardware is floating around..

can you quote it, please
i can't acces the link without a password
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #3 of 60
the username is archive and the password is archive, dont you people ever read what is in a pop up, all the information is right at the top on the sheet
post #4 of 60
It's a very safe bet that guy doesn't have an Xserve G5.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #5 of 60
Hi to all REAL testers. This is an issue on which i am not able to file a log because it happens at startup.

Exactly it's now 2 days ago i cannot start up when a XServe G5 is hooked up. It locks up at: Loading Rendezvous Additional Ressources.

Now even if the XSG5 is disconnected, it won't start up fully and locks up at: Compiler Daemon - TO 0x700 Network Issue. Then a kernel panic like in Jaguar appears.

Can anyone help me? p.s. that kernel isn't logged.

I'd say not...
...we have assumed control
post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
It's a very safe bet that guy doesn't have an Xserve G5.

... anymore.

post #7 of 60
Why people are so into G5 XServe? No one in this forum is going to use/buy it.....

I am just curious....
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #8 of 60
im going to use one for my website, but not buy one, but i am not tha much excited anyway, the Xserve G4 works great now
post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
Why people are so into G5 XServe? No one in this forum is going to use/buy it.....

I am just curious....

Um, my company would definately buy/use it. We currently only have 4 Xserves but that will change soon.
post #10 of 60
I am only talking about individuals not companies/groups
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #11 of 60
Quote:

Your house doesn't have a server closet??
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUsers
the username is archive and the password is archive, dont you people ever read what is in a pop up, all the information is right at the top on the sheet

Nope...
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Your house doesn't have a server closet?

Due to renting regulations, we aren't allowed in the server closest (understair cupboard) in our flat.
Stoo
Stoo
post #14 of 60
If you tell me how to fit XServe into an already crowded 10ft x 10ft room......

Keep in mind that I only rent a room.....not the entire house
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #15 of 60
post #16 of 60
people, we are interested in the products that our favorite Computer company comes out with. Also, some of us have stock in it, such as I, so, I am interested in how well the company does...damn stock...
post #17 of 60
Quote:
HOW THE HECK CAN YOU ACCESS TO THE LIST WITHOUT THE NDA-PASS????

Because the password is posted on the entrance page to it? One possibility is you have the wrong list...
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by sikkd
HOW THE HECK CAN YOU ACCESS TO THE LIST WITHOUT THE NDA-PASS????

Apple's mailinglists is not for people with NDAs. You can't discuss anything witch falls under an NDA, and if you should do it anyway the admins will slap you. It's funny about this list since it's mere existence is the result of someone breaking an NDA. How anyone would be able to utlize this list in a manner that'd be appropriate for its topic without breaking an NDa is beyone me.
post #19 of 60
Apple controlled leak, hmm?
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Henriok
Apple's mailinglists is not for people with NDAs. You can't discuss anything witch falls under an NDA, and if you should do it anyway the admins will slap you. It's funny about this list since it's mere existence is the result of someone breaking an NDA. How anyone would be able to utlize this list in a manner that'd be appropriate for its topic without breaking an NDa is beyone me.

Actually, there's several mailing lists hosted on lists.apple.com that cover NDA topics, but aren't listed publically. I'd say that this particular list was just prematurely made public.
post #21 of 60
post #22 of 60
Quote:

People care about XServe G5's because they are the next logical and practicalplace to put a G5. So the quicker we get an XServe G5, the quicker we get to the G5 in other things. You can't have a G5 in a PB before an XServe in a G5.

People care about XServe G5's because the G5 is a great chip and should fo VERY well in a rackmount server. Apple will sell lots of them and so people who care about the Mac platform want to know when Apple will be updating one of their key products so that they can gain marketshare.

Most users of this forum probably don't use eMacs all that much, but because eMacs are important to Apple's overall growth and profitability, we want to know when a new eMac is coming out and what its features will be etc.
King Felix
King Felix
post #23 of 60
Quote:
If you tell me how to fit XServe into an already crowded 10ft x 10ft room......

Keep in mind that I only rent a room.....not the entire house

Easy. Wall mount it (kidding) or rotate it and put it on the floor.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #24 of 60
post #25 of 60
labeled a hoax at macrumors
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoo
Due to renting regulations, we aren't allowed in the server closest (understair cupboard) in our flat.

Your rent regs don't allow it?! I'm in Edinburgh renting too, and our 4-way Sun Sparc 20 is happily sitting under the hall table serving away

you need a better lease
post #27 of 60
Quote:
There is no Apple Internal mounting except the stackers...

The size of XServe G5 is simlar to the Raid G4 one which i havent seen in G5 version til' now.

I cry foul. The RAID isn't a G4. 'Tis a Disk Array. It should continue to work with any such XServe G5.

I would think that if this guy was for real, he wouldn't get something so simple wrong.

Or am I all wet?
The people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
The people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
post #28 of 60
post #29 of 60
Think Secret just posted something similar: That Apple is pondering a 3U size for the G5 Xserve.

Frankly, unless Apple decides to go quad-processor, that will make the G4 Xserve look pretty attractive. The G5 Xserve would be useful for 64-bit work, and mainline server applications (which are more bandwidth constrained than CPU constrained). But for raw computational power it'd be one or two G5s against six G4s - which is where the quad option would come in, if Apple can swing that.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #30 of 60
Quote:
I mean from the size.

No more details in this forum from me. Thanks.

Christian Leduc
AppleĀ® Lounge Europe

Yeah, because you have none. And you are not a member of "Apple Lounge Europe" - your sig says soon. Go away troll!
post #31 of 60
post #32 of 60
post #33 of 60
Well I'm an individual and I've seriously considered one of the G4 Xserves. Yes they are slightly more expensive but they do have an interesting feature set. With the advent of the G5 the issues has become a bit more confused, due to the raw HP that the G5 has.

The current XServes are the next best thing to a pizza box mac that one can buy. Shrink the package a bit and throw in a 970 and you have a pretty wonderful machine. The compacted size make them useful for both permanent installations where space is an issue and for transportation.

I'm actually surprised that Apple doesn't sell more of the boxes it currently makes. My question is why don't more people consider the XServes?

Dave

Quote:
post #34 of 60
post #35 of 60
Quote:
I hope that the troll you are will go back to forest and keep there...

Go away, you're the one who made false socalled internal Apple web pages - including tons of spelling and factual errors.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Hey, i am Apple Lounge collaborator since it's creation in 1998 (Europe)

Til' now Apple Lounge collaborators were considered as non fully apple.
Now apple will "finally" set up a website and mail adresses for Lounge collaborators.

Coming approx: Mid November.

I hope that the troll you are will go back to forest and keep there...

not if you ARE telling the truth.

cuz if u are, kiss ur apple relations goodbye.

people these days...
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Go away, you're the one who made false socalled internal Apple web pages - including tons of spelling and factual errors.

You mean this one:

Yeah, the rotary mouse, and the iPhone. Hmmm, now where can I buy one of those?
post #38 of 60
post #39 of 60
Quote:
When will you understand it.

We already do, kiddie, we already do....
post #40 of 60
So with that out of the way, what's the thought on TS' description of the G5 Xserve? Is 3U reasonably? Not gonna happen? Nick is offering very little in the way of details, so it could be a red herring.

Original music:

Original music:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › XServe G5 on Apple Mailing List