or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft needs .Net for Mac

Microsoft needs .Net for Mac - Page 2

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
Not to derail this into a WO thread... but while that is cheap compared to the cost of deployment in the NeXT days... $700 is still $700 more than it costs me to deploy things like ASP, JSP, etceteras. I really want to like WebObjects, I really do. But I can't find a client that will either spring for the $700 deployment cost, or a client that will host their site on a Mac/Slowlaris/Windows box. If they cut prices for deployment again, get O'Reilly to write a freaking book about it (I mean, come on, there are NO resources for the damn thing), and support it on Linux... I'll be happy. I'll be happy because I could actually use it then \

Huh? Deployment is free and supports almost any J2EE server - it's the development tools that costs $700.

Btw. the price was $50K - not $15K.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
How much do you want to pay? I've got a copy for sale.

I appreciate the offer, but I haven't yet purchased my Mac. So thats sort of putting the horse before the carriage.
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox Hero
OK, here it says that WebObjects uses swing to implement its client application guis:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...iew/index.html

But it looks kick-a**... It claims to deploy to virtually any J2EE server or the WebObjects J2SE application server.. Very cool. They want $699 for it, though!!! I know, I shouldn't be so cheap....

When NeXT introduced WebObjects for NeXTStep and OpenStep OS they were asking $25,000 for a site license. My company negotiated a "deal" becase NeXT was interested in getting into our market. Apple did us all a favor when they acquired NeXT and its technologies. Because of this, we now have OSX and WebObjects for $699... life is good!
Drive for show, putt for dough!
Drive for show, putt for dough!
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGolfer
When NeXT introduced WebObjects for NeXTStep and OpenStep OS they were asking $25,000 for a site license. My company negotiated a "deal" becase NeXT was interested in getting into our market. Apple did us all a favor when they acquired NeXT and its technologies. Because of this, we now have OSX and WebObjects for $699... life is good!

So have you developed using WebObjects? How does it compare to other J2EE dev environments?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft needs .Net for Mac