or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iBook G4

iBook G4

post #1 of 236
It's here!
Apple

800,933MHz and 1GHz G4
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
post #2 of 236
Two questions raised, either panther is very slow on G3s or PBG5 is around the corner,

e
post #3 of 236
Product page not updated yet. A very quiet update for an important product
post #4 of 236
Heh. The G4 is dead to Apple. They will not speak of them any more.

"The G4? Motorola? What are those?" -- Steve

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #5 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by lix
Product page not updated yet. A very quiet update for an important product

On a Wednesday no less...
post #6 of 236
Hell froze over.

THANK GOD Apple is back to the rolling updates of their product line. I think now we can say that Apple has recovered from The Great Speed Dump of the G4 roll out. That didn't take too long
post #7 of 236
Is it just me or does this completely muddle the product line or what? Explain to me why I would by the 12" PowerBook now. This is crazy, but good.
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
post #8 of 236
This must mean... G5 Powerbooks!!! Wooohooo!!!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #9 of 236
A great number of forum posters will eat their hats today (or in select cases commit autoeroticide), for the iBook G4 is here.

Apple doesn't seem to care about PowerBook sales, do they???
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #10 of 236
Apple Unveils New Generation G4 iBooks Starting at Just $1,099

Most Affordable G4 Notebooks Ever

CUPERTINO, CaliforniaOctober 22, 2003Apple® today unveiled its new iBooks featuring PowerPC G4 processors, with the 12-inch display model starting at just $1,099 (US) and the 14-inch display model starting at just $1,299 (US). The new iBook® line offers advanced connectivity with AirPort® Extreme and Bluetooth, and all models include 256MB of Double Data Rate (DDR) memory and slot-load Combo drives for burning CDs and watching DVDs. The new iBooks also include Apples latest operating system, Mac OS® X version 10.3 Panther, pre-installed with over 150 breakthrough new features, including FileVault to secure data for iBook users on the go.

2003 is the year of the notebook and Apple has the industrys best notebook lineup, which has resulted in Apple's mix of notebooks growing to double the industry average, said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. The new iBooks bring powerful G4 processors and slot-load Combo drives into the most affordably priced G4 notebooks ever, just in time for the holiday season.

The new 12- and 14-inch iBooks have been completely re-engineered based on the high performance PowerPC G4 processor and DDR memory architecture providing improved speed, efficiency and overall system performance. Each iBook provides incredible graphics performance with ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics with 32MB of dedicated DDR memory and AGP 4X for gaming and watching DVD movies at the highest quality. Outfitted with its hallmark durable, sleek polycarbonate plastic enclosure and weighing as little as 4.9 pounds, iBook notebooks are the ideal mixture of form and function designed with consumers and education customers in mind. The new iBook G4 provides up to six hours of battery life for all-day mobile use in the classroom or on the road.

Each iBook now features the latest in wireless connectivity with support for AirPort Extreme that is Wi-Fi Certified and based on the ultra-fast 802.11g standard, offering data rates five times faster than 802.11b while maintaining compatibility with millions of 802.11b products.* Options include an internal Bluetooth module for wirelessly connecting peripherals such as Apples new Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mouse, as well as a full complement of I/O ports, including FireWire® 400, USB 2.0 and a built-in 56K v.92 modem and Ethernet (10/100BASE-T) that enable connectivity to all of todays popular peripherals.

Every iBook comes with Panther pre-installed. Panther delivers more than 150 breakthrough new features including a completely new Finder that provides one-click access to a users favorite files and folders; Exposé, a revolutionary new way to instantly see all open windows at once; and iChat AV, a complete desktop video conferencing solution. Panther enhances the mobile experience with automatic networking that intelligently detects and switches the network connections between Ethernet, 802.11 and modem for easily connecting to the Internet. Panther also features Fast User Switching to elegantly switch between active users without having to quit applications or log out; FileVault, which uses the latest security standards and 128-bit encryption technology to ensure that data in the home directory is kept secure and private at all times; and enhanced Windows compatibility that ensures files, printers and network services can easily be shared with Windows users.

Perfect for todays digital lifestyle, every new iBook also includes iLife, Apples integrated suite of award-winning digital lifestyle applications that features the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie® and iDVD and iTunes®. iLife is the only integrated suite to include all of the four applications required for todays digital lifestyledigital music, photography, moviemaking and DVD creationand is the first product to offer the benefits of seamlessly integrating them.

Pricing & Availability
The new iBook with a 12-inch display is available immediately, and the new iBook models with a 14-inch display are expected to be available next week through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apples retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers in three standard configurations.

The 800 MHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 4.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,099 (US) and includes:

a crisp 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

256MB DDR SDRAM;

a 30GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400, VGA video out, S-video and composite video out support;

up to 6 hours of battery life; and

a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive.

The 933 MHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 5.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US) and includes:

a crisp 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

256MB DDR SDRAM;

a 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400, VGA video out, S-video and composite video out support;

The 1.0 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 5.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US) and includes:

a brilliant 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

256MB SDRAM;

a 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

Additional build-to-order options for the new iBook line include the ability to upgrade to up to 640MB of DDR SDRAM, a 40GB or 60GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive 4200-rpm performance, internal Bluetooth module, AirPort Extreme Base Station, AirPort Extreme Card and the AppleCare® Protection Plan.

*Actual speed will vary based on range from the base station, environmental conditions and other factors.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #11 of 236
Pleasant changes - return to grey inside, the slot loading drive and also the mid range model is 20% cheaper on the Uk ed store than previously. e
post #12 of 236
Well that was unexpected! Now if I could just find about $1500 Canadian in change lying around the house...Though I wonder if in stock G3 Ibooks might take a nice drop in price. I would love a laptop to complement my G5...
post #13 of 236
Some of you guys are complaining about a "gift horse"? Interesting thing will be how many of you will actually buy a new iBook instead of complaining about "muddled product line" and "I guess Apple doesn't care about the Powerbook". Strange. Oh yes, the G5 Powerbook is not "around the corner" unless you consider it to be a long block and about 6 months (at least) away.

P.S. These specs have been bandied about on rumor sites and most came to be true. I don't beleive anybody expected a slot loading drive however.
post #14 of 236
its a great deal and a bit of a shock announcement...

bye, bye tuesdays, hello any other day of the week...

Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #15 of 236
Alright, now WHERE IS MATSU?
post #16 of 236
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

My PowerBook 15" SHIPPED THIS MORNING!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #17 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Some of you guys are complaining about a "gift horse"? Interesting thing will be how many of you will actually buy a new iBook instead of complaining about "muddled product line" and "I guess Apple doesn't care about the Powerbook". Strange. Oh yes, the G5 Powerbook is not "around the corner" unless you consider it to be a long block and about 6 months (at least) away.

P.S. These specs have been bandied about on rumor sites and most came to be true. I don't beleive anybody expected a slot loading drive however.

I also like the combo drive across the line. Definitely makes the low end (along with academic pricing) quite a tempting machine...
post #18 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by chilleymac
Is it just me or does this completely muddle the product line or what? Explain to me why I would by the 12" PowerBook now. This is crazy, but good.

Exactly, I'm comparing the specs of the 12" iBook and 12" Powerbook and wondering why exactly I paid $500 extra. The shiny aluminum? The better video out option? The fact that the AluBook is lighter? The fact that it's more compact?

Wait. These are adding up... \

Well whatever...

Screed
post #19 of 236
iBook page is here.
post #20 of 236
yup g5 powerbooks... here in january for sure
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
post #21 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD
Exactly, I'm comparing the specs of the 12" iBook and 12" Powerbook and wondering why exactly I paid $500 extra. The shiny aluminum? The better video out option? The fact that the AluBook is lighter? The fact that it's more compact?

Wait. These are adding up... \

Well whatever...

Screed

The PowerBook also has twice the L2 cache...
post #22 of 236
Powerbooks also have Superdrive available.
post #23 of 236
Hold the *ucking phone. I didn't see this coming.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #24 of 236
Does anybody know if the new iBook has an updated keyboard like the albooks, or if it is the same old one?

Thanks!!
post #25 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
The PowerBook also has twice the L2 cache...

whoop-de-****ing-do

The 12" PowerBook is DEAD. Dead like a Cube.

post #26 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by chilleymac

After I saw the updates, I started to wonder the exact opposite; why would anybody choose an iBook G4 over a 12" PB? I like the 12" form factor, and now Apple leaves me with only two choices, the 12" PB, or the new, low-end iBook.

With the Powerbook, for only an extra $500 USD, you get:
  • An extra 200MHz
  • 256 MB soldered to the board (iBook: 128 on board/128 expansion)
  • 1.256GB memory ceiling (iBook: STILL 640)
  • 40, 60, 80 gig drive (iBook: 30, 40, 60)
  • Built-in Bluetooth
  • DVI
  • Double the L2 cache
  • GeForce FX Go5200 vs. Radeon 9200 and
  • Hackless Monitor Spanning

Not to mention the 12" PB is smaller and lighter, and it's on Rev B.

Apple should have waited for IBM's G3+Altivec and given us that 13" Widescreen iBook we want so much.

If things keep going the way they are, my next laptop (this one's still got a few good years left in it) will definitely be a PowerBook.
C rm -rf windows/
Bad Command or File Name
C rm -rf windows/
Bad Command or File Name
post #27 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by kraig911
yup g5 powerbooks... here in january for sure

Will that be before or after they solved the problems with the current line-up? IOW: dream on.

post #28 of 236
Now I wonder if all those rumours about a new "form factor" for the iBook are true or not. Maybe some wires got crossed along the rumor line and new "form factor" is actually a reference to a new chip for the iBooks.
post #29 of 236
Indeed there were rumors (rumours) about a new form factor but those I read indicated not until late next year. Some correctly indicated an upgrading of the insides and a possible G4 chip. Apple will definately have a great 4th Quarter!
post #30 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Phroggy
  • GeForce FX Go5200 vs. Radeon 9200 and

Whatever. Gimme an ATI card any day. The NVidia 5XXX series are crap. But seriously, this is enough to make me consider ditching my beloved Pismo...
post #31 of 236
I must say that this highly entertaining, watching everyone wake up, see this news, go "Huh?" and then post their thoughts. Good fun to read over breakfast
post #32 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha

welcome to the wonderful world of Apple
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
post #33 of 236
if it had FW800 i'd get one
post #34 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I feel your pain, mine did too. Oh well, life goes on.
I'd add more cliches, but it's much too early.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #35 of 236
why the fvck would apple have not changed their fp for this? I go to the front page, and I see a big advert for a free program, FOR WINDOWS! I would think that the iBook line is more important than iTunes+iTMS. And yet iBook G4 gets a small mention in the bottom corner.

I really like the PBG5 possibilities now though. I was trying to be pessimistic, and hope in a year. Now it looks far too likely for January.
post #36 of 236
Just ordered my 12" iBook G4!

iBook 12.1"/800MHz/Combo drive
384MB DDR266 SDRAM
AirPort Extreme Card
60GB Ultra ATA drive

Love the new specs. I've been waiting to replace my 600mhz iBook since the new Powerbooks came out. If Apple hadn't updated the iBook I probably would have bought the 12" PB after Panther shipped. Very pleased that I waited (it was hard)

Cheers
post #37 of 236
Never mind about the keyboard--I looked online and it looks as though it is still the same keyboard as the old iBook.

Too bad...the new one is great!

\
post #38 of 236
Kickhaha I would feel real sorry for you if you had ordered a 12" P'book but since you got the 15 I dont think you should feel too bad, it is so much better then these puppies. You wont regret it... Having said that I've just ordered a 12" G4 ibook for my girl (I will be so popular tonight...)
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
post #39 of 236
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Apple Unveils New Generation G4 iBooks Starting at Just $1,099

CUPERTINO, CaliforniaOctober 22, 2003Apple® today unveiled its new iBooks featuring PowerPC G4 processors....Perfect for todays digital lifestyle, every new iBook also includes iLife, Apples integrated suite of award-winning digital lifestyle applications that features the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie® and iDVD and iTunes®....

How can these include iDVD if they do not have a Superdrive?

The 12" Al Books are way better -- better g4, more memory, Superdrive, etc.

But g5 Powerbooks are coming -- and I told you so!
post #40 of 236
Just bought a powerbook g4 12" with a combo drive and got it last friday. Can I return it? Should I return it if I can and get the ibook? I'm kinda bummed about this. I wish I waited.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iBook G4