or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Applications broken by Panther
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Applications broken by Panther

post #1 of 111
Thread Starter 
Tomorrow's P-Day, so I thought I'd start this thread before I get and install the predator on my comp. "Developers" will already be able to fill in some blanks, everybody else will be come tomorrow.

The big dripping question I have: what applications (versions of applications) are broken by Panther, for all things point to a rather hefty range.

e.g. I hear Toast Titanium only works from version 6.0.1 upwards.

What about other big ones (the Photoshops and Offices of this world) and smaller ones?
post #2 of 111
small graphical glitches in poisoned re: the search bar
post #3 of 111
I'm pretty lucky, got my copy already. Haven't had time to do a clean install.

My machine is a 1GHZ G4 with 768MB

Illustrator 10 - images take a long time to "place" usually waited 10 seconds for an average size image, now it's a good minute.

iTunes: A pathetic 11 frames per second frame rate for full screen visualls (geforce mx 4 on 20" cinema

Haven;t tried anything else yet.
post #4 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
iTunes: A pathetic 11 frames per second frame rate for full screen visualls (geforce mx 4

Heh. Averaging 60 fps here on full-screen, peaking into the 70s, on an ancient original AGP Radeon 32 MB. (edit: I guess I should mention that I use the faster-but-rougher option)

SNES9X breaks in 10.3 and stalls upon launch. You can get it to work by launching the app via dragging-and-dropping the ROM file onto the app icon.

Apple's Backup is broken, claiming "An unrecoverable internal error has occurred," but I expect a small update for it very soon.

I've tried a wide variety of apps and games and everything else works fine. Classic OpenGL games seem to have gotten a nice performance boost.
post #5 of 111
What about Office?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #6 of 111
Someone on another board suggested that the Cisco VPN client (the graphical version) doesn't play well with Panther. Can anyone confirm or deny this (hopefully deny, since if it doesn't work I'll be somewhat inconvenienced...unless the built-in VPN can do the job, something I'm not banking on).
post #7 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
What about Office?

Runs fine here, just be sure to have all the updates. VPC 6 is somewhat slower though and while it opens and quit iTunes skips, something it never did in 10.2...
post #8 of 111
So far no problems to report here.

Except when I first installed I couldn't type in web addresses in Safari, but that was fixed by just deleting the preferences file.
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
Reply
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
Reply
post #9 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Apple's Backup is broken, claiming "An unrecoverable internal error has occurred," but I expect a small update for it very soon.

Backup 2.0 works. 1.2.3 hasn't worked in any versions of 10.3 that I've tried. Unfortunately BackUp 2 is beta. Hopefully a final version will be out soon.
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
Reply
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
Reply
post #10 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
Someone on another board suggested that the Cisco VPN client (the graphical version) doesn't play well with Panther. Can anyone confirm or deny this (hopefully deny, since if it doesn't work I'll be somewhat inconvenienced...unless the built-in VPN can do the job, something I'm not banking on).

I also use the Cisco VPN client. I'm sure they'll update it after Panther is released if it is broken as you say. Now that Panther comes with it's own VPN software though, I'm hoping I won't need to use Cisco.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
post #11 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by penseive
Backup 2.0 works.

Ah!! I knew I was forgetting something! I completely forgot about the 2.0 beta. *scampers off to download*
post #12 of 111
Thread Starter 
An app I use a lot: Thoth. Any word on what version 1.7.1 does under Panther?
post #13 of 111
i cannot get ghost recon to work - it starts up, but once you select to play a game or change your settings it crashes.... arrgghh
post #14 of 111
Ghost Recon works for me.

Are you using the latest version? Have you tried reinstalling it? Repaired permissions? Et cetera with the usual fixes.
post #15 of 111
The PPTP VPN Client that shipped with Jaquar no longer works for me.
post #16 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Ah!! I knew I was forgetting something! I completely forgot about the 2.0 beta. *scampers off to download*


man, when i read that first post, all my thoughts of a clean install whent OUT THE WINDOW.....

thank gawd that the 2 beta works...otherwise I would have to be backing up myself, takes the same amount of time, but I like it when a program does it for me
post #17 of 111
VectorWorks doesn't work, but a beta to patch it should be out soon.
post #18 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
Tomorrow's P-Day, so I thought I'd start this thread before I get and install the predator on my comp. "Developers" will already be able to fill in some blanks, everybody else will be come tomorrow.

The big dripping question I have: what applications (versions of applications) are broken by Panther, for all things point to a rather hefty range.

e.g. I hear Toast Titanium only works from version 6.0.1 upwards.

What about other big ones (the Photoshops and Offices of this world) and smaller ones?
post #19 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
Tomorrow's P-Day, so I thought I'd start this thread before I get and install the predator on my comp. "Developers" will already be able to fill in some blanks, everybody else will be come tomorrow.

The big dripping question I have: what applications (versions of applications) are broken by Panther, for all things point to a rather hefty range.

e.g. I hear Toast Titanium only works from version 6.0.1 upwards.

What about other big ones (the Photoshops and Offices of this world) and smaller ones?

Design Tools Monthly says that FontReserve's Classic Activator is broken in Panther. This was confirmed to me by an Extensis tech. He was, however, evasive when I asked him if there would be an updater issued, or whether I should go ahead and cross / up-grade to Suitcase X1.
post #20 of 111
I was unpleasantly suprised to find out that Final Cut Pro 3 will not install onto Panther.
post #21 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
Someone on another board suggested that the Cisco VPN client (the graphical version) doesn't play well with Panther. Can anyone confirm or deny this (hopefully deny, since if it doesn't work I'll be somewhat inconvenienced...unless the built-in VPN can do the job, something I'm not banking on).


What board?(just trying to repair because I cant get the command line version to work)
post #22 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Nebagakid
man, when i read that first post, all my thoughts of a clean install whent OUT THE WINDOW.....

thank gawd that the 2 beta works...otherwise I would have to be backing up myself, takes the same amount of time, but I like it when a program does it for me

i thought backup 2.0 was pretty neat, especially since it could back up to an external disk (damn i love my iPod). but, sadly, it lost all functionality when my .mac subscription went out what happened to steve believing that people didnt want to rent? or does that only apply to music in his book?
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
Reply
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
Reply
post #23 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Timo
VectorWorks doesn't work, but a beta to patch it should be out soon.

Apple Updates always seems to break something in VectorWorks....ugh..
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
Reply
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
Reply
post #24 of 111
Anyone tried MM Studio MX in it (not the 2004 crap)? I have a project I can't delay more than a half day for the install but I can't ever seem to wait to install a new OS version...

And no, don't tell me to wait to install on my production machine because I won't listen
Anyone for pie?
Reply
Anyone for pie?
Reply
post #25 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by The General
What board?(just trying to repair because I cant get the command line version to work)

I'm pretty sure it was the MacRumors thread about 10.3 shipping. I'll check later though.
post #26 of 111
Does anyone know if Transparent Dock works in Panther?

Hopefully there will be an update soon, as I would prefer not to go the haxie route.
post #27 of 111
the cisco VPN works just fine in panther.

version 3.7 at least
post #28 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pie Man
Anyone tried MM Studio MX in it (not the 2004 crap)? I have a project I can't delay more than a half day for the install but I can't ever seem to wait to install a new OS version...

And no, don't tell me to wait to install on my production machine because I won't listen

Dreamweaver MX is working like a charm in Panther for me.
post #29 of 111
- QuicKeys X is busted completely. Infinite loop putting up dialog boxes. EDIT: New Panther beta of QuicKeys at http://www.cesoft.com/downloads/qkx2/panther.html

- USB Overdrive works, but installing it kills the volume up/down and CD eject keys on the keyboard. Check off menu bar volume and eject menus to get these functions back.

- Safari eats CPU time on occasion after running for a while. If you notice sluggish scrolling, relaunch it. Check top -u to see 50-80% CPU to confirm.

- Snapz Pro X needs a free update. http://www.ambrosiasw.com
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #30 of 111
there's a new version of USB Overdrive for Panther
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
post #31 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
Dreamweaver MX is working like a charm in Panther for me.

Awesome
Anyone for pie?
Reply
Anyone for pie?
Reply
post #32 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Kecksy
I also use the Cisco VPN client. I'm sure they'll update it after Panther is released if it is broken as you say. Now that Panther comes with it's own VPN software though, I'm hoping I won't need to use Cisco.

Cisco VPN works without problems (I have 4.0.2), and even though Panther has VPN software included, it won't work with Cisco concentrators.

I have had some trouble with cocoAspell btw.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #33 of 111
Camino is no longer working under Panther....at least on the 2 machines I tested
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
post #34 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
Camino is no longer working under Panther....at least on the 2 machines I tested

You must be using a *very* old build. Get a new nightly and it works fine. Nightly build have been fixed for Panther for months.
post #35 of 111
ok, my bad. ghost recon works very nicely - just had to re-install it. thanx!
post #36 of 111
Anybody try ThemeChanger in Panther?
There's a fungus among us
- Mario
Reply
There's a fungus among us
- Mario
Reply
post #37 of 111
Does anybody know if the older versions of Adobe applications are working well on Panther. I want panther, but can't but the CS suite if my design collection won't work in panther

Thanx
post #38 of 111
Quote:
Originally posted by g4powermac
Does anybody know if the older versions of Adobe applications are working well on Panther. I want panther, but can't but the CS suite if my design collection won't work in panther

Thanx

Photoshop 7.01

Illustrator 10.03

InDesign 2.02

After Effects 5.51

Painter 8

Dreamweaver MX <--- Launches a lot faster under Panther

Flash MX

Freehand MX

Toast 5.2

Final Cut Pro 4

Soundtrack

DVD Studio Pro 2.02

Starrynight 4.5

Cleaner 6

Speed Download 2

All seem to work fine in the last 48 hours

However some very old Classic apps don't seem to work.....SoundEdit 16 and QuarkXpress 3.3 keep getting "Program Error"
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
post #39 of 111
Quote:
Photoshop 7.01

Illustrator 10.03

InDesign 2.02

After Effects 5.51

Painter 8

Dreamweaver MX <--- Launches a lot faster under Panther

Flash MX

Freehand MX

Toast 5.2

Final Cut Pro 4

Soundtrack

DVD Studio Pro 2.02

Starrynight 4.5

Cleaner 6

Speed Download 2

All seem to work fine in the last 48 hours

However some very old Classic apps don't seem to work.....SoundEdit 16 and QuarkXpress 3.3 keep getting "Program Error"


Thank GOD. I can keep working. Do you use those programs under pro conditions?


Thanks,


tommy
( it is already in use )
Reply
( it is already in use )
Reply
post #40 of 111
Those are my life line
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Applications broken by Panther