or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New iMac vs. The Cube

New iMac vs. The Cube

post #1 of 14
Ok, some people have been comparing the Cube to the iMac. I would like to see the simmilarites in design, specs, ect. So my comparison of the New iMac vs. The Cube:

Cube's total volume is 512 inches cubed.
iMac's total volume is about 303 inches cubed.

Both have G4's
Both have 60 Gigabyte HD's Max (Apple config.)
Cube Weight: 28.7 iMac Weight: 21.3
Cube: External Powerbrick
iMac: Built in Power

Feel free to add.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #2 of 14
iMac == better vid card (which i assume runs hotter, would i be correct?)

edit - well okay, its not a similarity; i was making that point to say a hotter card, faster proc, and power brick in an enclosure 40% smaller

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: tl ]</p>
post #3 of 14
You can use a 17" LCD or Cinema Display with the Cube
post #4 of 14
The Cube is not all-in-one with all the good and bad that implies. I wanted the big screen last year and did not think I needed the El Capitain case size in my life--then the Cube came out and I was hooked.

On Use: My home Cube is on a Cinema display and with the Harmon/Kardon sound system workas as my DVD player and stereo. (I know it is not a great financial investment, but it saves a ton of space and thanks to iPod and iTunes makes life very easy. I have not yet updated to OS X.1 since I have a HP OfficeJet G55 scanner/printer attached and there is no X driver. I am playing with 9.2 with some success.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #5 of 14
I think slot-loading is more elegant than plastic tray flap dropping.

BUT, perhaps odd-shaped, multi-sized discs will work in the tray
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #6 of 14
That shell should be all metal, so the computer has an enrmous radiating area. Instead, it's plastic and requires airflow to cool i 0 the fan/ MMMMmmmm. ToastyMac/
post #7 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by Cubit:
<strong> I have not yet updated to OS X.1 since I have a HP OfficeJet G55 scanner/printer attached and there is no X driver.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What???
I just checked HP homepage yesterday, and the driver was there. The reason is that I'm considering buying the G55. (Is it any good?)
Sorry I know it's off topic
post #8 of 14
I like the new drive. I could not stand the slot-loading drives.
-Apple Press Release
-Apple Press Release
post #9 of 14
read <a href="http://www.cube-zone.com" target="_blank">http://www.cube-zone.com</a>
for a comparison
post #10 of 14

pretty sure there is a metal shell...then a white plastic shell over the metal shell....g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #11 of 14
The point, G, is that the plastic layer traps in heat. Without it (perhaps with all alluminum) the case its self acts as a kind of heat sink for te innards of the machine. I think that aluminum would look really cool too.
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
post #12 of 14
[quote] <hr></blockquote>quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Cubit:
I have not yet updated to OS X.1 since I have a HP OfficeJet G55 scanner/printer attached and there is no X driver.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What???
I just checked HP homepage yesterday, and the driver was there. The reason is that I'm considering buying the G55. (Is it any good?)
Sorry I know it's off topic [quote] <hr></blockquote>

Sorry :-) I see they updated 01-04-02. I have not installed it yet. Apologies to all for off topic side conversation, but I love the G55 and the Cube. I have had no trouble with any over- heating problem, but I have been suffering a few odd Cinema/Cube problems since pushing my memory up to 1.5 GB.
post #13 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by tl:
<strong>iMac == better vid card (which i assume runs hotter, would i be correct?)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hm, wasn't there a BTO option to put a Radeon 32MB DDR into the Cube? If so, I don't think the GF2MX is really a better vid card.

Bye,
RazzFazz
post #14 of 14
Oh and the iMac has a round and blue motherboard.
-Apple Press Release
-Apple Press Release
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New iMac vs. The Cube