or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › The New iMac Is Selling Very Well - Lookee

The New iMac Is Selling Very Well - Lookee - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Can someone plz post some pictures from the Apple Stores?
"What makes a man turn... neutral?" -Futurama
"What makes a man turn... neutral?" -Futurama
post #42 of 87
If I remember to next time I'll take pics.
post #43 of 87
Man, those stores are a great idea. Most of the people who think Macs suck have probably not seen a Mac since the Mac Plus they saw in the computer lab in college. Plenty of people are willing to browse stuff in malls, so I think these stores will convert a lot of people who just don't really know what a Mac IS, and might be persuaded by actually seeing one.
post #44 of 87
Okay, I'm back!

HOLY COW, what a beautiful piece of technology!!!

:eek:

I'm even MORE infatuated with the iMac now, if that's even possible!

First things first: Belle, there doesn't seem to be a physical button or paper clip hole ANYWHERE on the machine. Several employees and customers WAY geekier than I were all searching for it.

You can restart the iMac by doing the Command + Control + Eject key combination, but that won't always work. What if the computer is locked up or otherwise freaking out?

That's a stumper. Sorry I couldn't find out. But for what it's worth, we all looked EVERYWHERE. Actually (and I noticed this as I was walking out and couldn't get closer to it to try, but there looks to be a tiny hole on the lower left front of the display. It has a corresponding thing mirrored over on the right side, which is the display status light (I'm guess this is what pulsates when the system is sleeping?). But I seemed to notice a little hole on the left, but I couldn't get close enough to inspect it. I'm pissed that I only noticed it as I was leaving (this was after spending 20 minutes or looking over every INCH of the iMac.

Other observations:

The display is GORGEOUS. Bright, clear, crisp and quite saturated. Just lovely to look at. Probably the most striking feature of it. The size/resolution are really nice.

The action of the tilt/swivel is SMOOOOOOOTH. It's so cool how you can raise and lower the screen, BUT it maintains the monitors tilt angle during this. However, if you simply apply just a tad more pressure, then, of course, you can also adjust the displays vertical tilt. And you can do both of these, at once, with just your forefinger. It's amazing. The chrome "arm" is jointed in a really cool way where it attaches to the display. The display doesn't tilt straight up (laying flat like a tray), no does it tilt downward enough to go to far the other way (pointing down). It's perfect. Plenty of movement.

It doesn't swivel left to right, however. That's when you swing/pivot it around on the arm. And even though I thought I heard Jobs say in the keynote that it swivels 360°, fact is, it seemed to stop on either side of a 180° sweep. One of the employees said they had someone break a display model yesterday in another Apple store because he forced the display to try and make a complete 360° swivel.

The enclosure is NOT glossy (unlike the iBook or iPod), and instead has a nice matte finish that does indeed look "frosted". Hard to explain. It's not completely opaque like the iBook or the sides to the G4 tower. However, it's not transparent in the least, like the CRT iMac. But it just has this really nice frosted/icy look that's somewhere between opaque and see-through. Like I said, hard to explain. When you see one in person, you'll understand.

The speakers sound GREAT! Lots of bass and volume for such little things!

Keyboard and mouse look REALLY cool in white, especially the mouse!

The SuperDrive comes out really smoothly and seems solid and well set-in.

Ports on the back are easily accessible and clearly labeled.

The iMac ran quiet as could be. I put my ear down to it many times and could NEVER hear it.

Cool thing is, it had Adobe Illustrator 10 loaded on it, so I was able to get a REALLY accurate sense of how it runs my all-time favorite app. So I played with that for a while. Plenty of room at 1024x768 for the palettes. At that size/resolution, 1" on screen is pretty much 1" in real life, and I like that.

Colors on screen were gorgeous and it seemed to have a really wide viewing angle. I stood quite a bit off to the side and I could easily read the song titles in iTunes as another person was playing on it.

They had 2 demo models in the store and at one point, I counted 17 people all standing around it: teens, kids, soccer moms, yuppie couples, senior citizens, 40-somethings, geeks, babes, etc.

It was a beautiful scene, man.

Actually, I positioned myself to watch the front door as people walked in. It seemed about half were, like me, there on a mission to see it. They'd walk in and look directly over and their face would light up and they'd walk over, smiling and smacking their lips.

Some people you could tell were just walking in cold, perhaps not Mac users or even aware of this new iMac and as soon as they looked over and saw it, they got the big googley saucer eyes and jaw drop thing going.

I counted a good 15-20 people who looked over at it when walking in and literally STOPPING in their tracks and having this look on their face like "OH...MY...".

EVERYONE was totally impressed and and just beside themselves. Cool thing was, the entire store itself was pretty jumping. It was about 5:30pm on a Saturday night in a REALLY cool, upscale mall. And there were TONS of people in the store. Always a huge crowd at the iMac table, but also at the G4/ Titanium PowerBook area, the software area (saw several people buying software), people in the back corner by the printers, scanners and cables.

About 6 customers and two employees over at the Genius Bar and a small crowd watching the screen in the back. They were playing the little videos that go with the iPod (Seal, Smashmouth guy, etc.) and the new iMac (Annie Leibovitz, Seal, Coppola, etc.) and everyone was totally amused by the dancing iMac.

Cool thing, back at the iMac table, they had to refill the little plastic brochure holder TWICE because EVERYONE was grabbing the spec/feature brochure they had sitting there with the iMac!

Very cool! LOTS of people in San Diego tonight are reading about the iMac and all it can do!

Coolest of all, there weren't enough employees to field all the questions or to "cheerlead" a bit, so I pretty much put on a little mini Jobs presentation (hey, I've seen enough keynote webcasts...I know how to make shit look cooler than it sometimes is... ) and I was demonstrating iTunes and iPhoto to several people who were obviously not Mac savvy. I showed them OS X, the Dock, answered all their questions about this new iMac and its specs, features, price, etc.

I would be a KICK-ASS Apple Store employee because at one point, I had about 6 people TOTALLY in the palm of my hand and they were laughing and asking cool questions and having a good time and I was able to make it all look cool, fun and easy for them.

Four people tried to buy one while I was there (two of them were people I was directly working with and talking to and answering questions), and they were quite bummed when they learned that they weren't shipping yet and the store had none for sale.

They're keeping a notification list on the iMacs (you click a little green button on the desktop that says "Contact me" and up comes a screen where you fill in your name and e-mail and which model you're interested in, and the store will contact you when they're in stock).

Needless to say, EVERYONE was filling one in.

Guys, I have seen the future.

This iMac is going to sell like crazy and it's going to make the original iMac look like a failed experiment by comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple COMPLETELY nailed this iMac and I, now more than ever, can't wait to get my paws on one!
post #45 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by pscates:
<strong>Okay, I'm back!

HOLY COW, what a beautiful piece of technology!!!

I'm even MORE infatuated with the iMac now, if that's even possible!

First things first: Belle, there doesn't seem to be a physical button or paper clip hole ANYWHERE on the machine. Several employees and customers WAY geekier than I were all searching for it.

You can restart the iMac by doing the Command + Control + Eject key combination, but that won't always work. What if the computer is locked up or otherwise freaking out?

That's a stumper. Sorry I couldn't find out. But for what it's worth, we all looked EVERYWHERE. Actually (and I noticed this as I was walking out and couldn't get closer to it to try, but there looks to be a tiny hole on the lower left front of the display. It has a corresponding thing mirrored over on the right side, which is the display status light (I'm guess this is what pulsates when the system is sleeping?). But I seemed to notice a little hole on the left, but I couldn't get close enough to inspect it. I'm pissed that I only noticed it as I was leaving (this was after spending 20 minutes or looking over every INCH of the iMac.

Other observations:

The display is GORGEOUS. Bright, clear, crisp and quite saturated. Just lovely to look at. Probably the most striking feature of it. The size/resolution are really nice.

The action of the tilt/swivel is SMOOOOOOOTH. It's so cool how you can raise and lower the screen, BUT it maintains the monitors tilt angle during this. However, if you simply apply just a tad more pressure, then, of course, you can also adjust the displays vertical tilt. And you can do both of these, at once, with just your forefinger. It's amazing. The chrome "arm" is jointed in a really cool way where it attaches to the display. The display doesn't tilt straight up (laying flat like a tray), no does it tilt downward enough to go to far the other way (pointing down). It's perfect. Plenty of movement.

It doesn't swivel left to right, however. That's when you swing/pivot it around on the arm. And even though I thought I heard Jobs say in the keynote that it swivels 360°, fact is, it seemed to stop on either side of a 180° sweep. One of the employees said they had someone break a display model yesterday in another Apple store because he forced the display to try and make a complete 360° swivel.

The enclosure is NOT glossy (unlike the iBook or iPod), and instead has a nice matte finish that does indeed look "frosted". Hard to explain. It's not completely opaque like the iBook or the sides to the G4 tower. However, it's not transparent in the least, like the CRT iMac. But it just has this really nice frosted/icy look that's somewhere between opaque and see-through. Like I said, hard to explain. When you see one in person, you'll understand.

The speakers sound GREAT! Lots of bass and volume for such little things!

Keyboard and mouse look REALLY cool in white, especially the mouse!

The SuperDrive comes out really smoothly and seems solid and well set-in.

Ports on the back are easily accessible and clearly labeled.

The iMac ran quiet as could be. I put my ear down to it many times and could NEVER hear it.

Cool thing is, it had Adobe Illustrator 10 loaded on it, so I was able to get a REALLY accurate sense of how it runs my all-time favorite app. So I played with that for a while. Plenty of room at 1024x768 for the palettes. At that size/resolution, 1" on screen is pretty much 1" in real life, and I like that.

Colors on screen were gorgeous and it seemed to have a really wide viewing angle. I stood quite a bit off to the side and I could easily read the song titles in iTunes as another person was playing on it.

They had 2 demo models in the store and at one point, I counted 17 people all standing around it: teens, kids, soccer moms, yuppie couples, senior citizens, 40-somethings, geeks, babes, etc.

It was a beautiful scene, man.

Actually, I positioned myself to watch the front door as people walked in. It seemed about half were, like me, there on a mission to see it. They'd walk in and look directly over and their face would light up and they'd walk over, smiling and smacking their lips.

Some people you could tell were just walking in cold, perhaps not Mac users or even aware of this new iMac and as soon as they looked over and saw it, they got the big googley saucer eyes and jaw drop thing going.

I counted a good 15-20 people who looked over at it when walking in and literally STOPPING in their tracks and having this look on their face like "OH...MY...".

EVERYONE was totally impressed and and just beside themselves. Cool thing was, the entire store itself was pretty jumping. It was about 5:30pm on a Saturday night in a REALLY cool, upscale mall. And there were TONS of people in the store. Always a huge crowd at the iMac table, but also at the G4/ Titanium PowerBook area, the software area (saw several people buying software), people in the back corner by the printers, scanners and cables.

About 6 customers and two employees over at the Genius Bar and a small crowd watching the screen in the back. They were playing the little videos that go with the iPod (Seal, Smashmouth guy, etc.) and the new iMac (Annie Leibovitz, Seal, Coppola, etc.) and everyone was totally amused by the dancing iMac.

Cool thing, back at the iMac table, they had to refill the little plastic brochure holder TWICE because EVERYONE was grabbing the spec/feature brochure they had sitting there with the iMac!

Very cool! LOTS of people in San Diego tonight are reading about the iMac and all it can do!

Coolest of all, there weren't enough employees to field all the questions or to "cheerlead" a bit, so I pretty much put on a little mini Jobs presentation (hey, I've seen enough keynote webcasts...I know how to make shit look cooler than it sometimes is... ) and I was demonstrating iTunes and iPhoto to several people who were obviously not Mac savvy. I showed them OS X, the Dock, answered all their questions about this new iMac and its specs, features, price, etc.

I would be a KICK-ASS Apple Store employee because at one point, I had about 6 people TOTALLY in the palm of my hand and they were laughing and asking cool questions and having a good time and I was able to make it all look cool, fun and easy for them.

Four people tried to buy one while I was there (two of them were people I was directly working with and talking to and answering questions), and they were quite bummed when they learned that they weren't shipping yet and the store had none for sale.

They're keeping a notification list on the iMacs (you click a little green button on the desktop that says "Contact me" and up comes a screen where you fill in your name and e-mail and which model you're interested in, and the store will contact you when they're in stock).

Needless to say, EVERYONE was filling one in.

Guys, I have seen the future.

This iMac is going to sell like crazy and it's going to make the original iMac look like a failed experiment by comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple COMPLETELY nailed this iMac and I, now more than ever, can't wait to get my paws on one!</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is all really encouraging to hear. Thanks for the info. I just demoed iPhoto for my dad and he loves it. I put together a slide show about Penn State Football with pics that recap the season rather nicely. I added the Rudy Theme song to it and the movie became golden! Apple is so cool, you shouldnt be aplaulding this is how it ought to work.
post #46 of 87
Pscates,

Would you characterize the finish as 'milky' ???

This is a seminal design.
IBL!
IBL!
post #47 of 87
Great post, pscates. Thanks for all the details!

I hope you guys realize how lucky you are to have Apple Stores to go to! I am so jealous of you guys. Next holiday we take to the US, you can be damn sure it will be to somewhere with an Apple Store nearby!!

Sounds like there was alot of excitement and energy around the iMac there. I agree with you, I really think this new iMac will make a real splash in the market. I sense some sales records being broken here.

It also sounds like you enjoyed playing a Mac salesperson too - that's awesome! Any time you can actually show someone what the Mac can do, instead of just tell them "Macs are so much better than PC's", it will have much more impact. Thumbs up on that one buddy!

I am just SO excited to get my iMac, and even more so now after reading your post!

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
post #48 of 87
One of the more decent pictures I've seen of the new iMac. It will hopefully help with those trying to understand pscates.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
post #49 of 87

*gasp*

GREAT picture!! Thanks!

&lt;cleaning up drool&gt;
post #50 of 87
Thanks for the pic. Even though I've seen the imac in person I was looking for some good pics.
post #51 of 87
<strong>... Actually (and I noticed this as I was walking out and couldn't get closer to it to try, but there looks to be a tiny hole on the lower left front of the display. It has a corresponding thing mirrored over on the right side, which is the display status light (I'm guess this is what pulsates when the system is sleeping?). But I seemed to notice a little hole on the left, but I couldn't get close enough to inspect it. I'm pissed that I only noticed it as I was leaving (this was after spending 20 minutes or looking over every INCH of the iMac. ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

That hole on the left, I found out, is the built-in microphone.

<strong>
... It doesn't swivel left to right, however. That's when you swing/pivot it around on the arm. And even though I thought I heard Jobs say in the keynote that it swivels 360°, fact is, it seemed to stop on either side of a 180° sweep.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jobs did mention 180 degrees in the keynote as he swiveled the on-stage iMac monitor to one side. That bit of news got a lot of "oohs" and "ahhs" from the keynote audience.
post #52 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by Cubit:
<strong>I ordered mine via the online Apple store and they've already shipped the dvd discs, BUT nothing on the iMac yet...</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHAHA, I got my discs yesterday, LOL.

(actually, my WIFE got her discs from her iMac order )

[quote] It doesn't swivel left to right, however.<hr></blockquote>

I SWORE I saw Steve swing it left and right because I went "ahhh, ohhhh".

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #53 of 87
Ahhhhhh, my new desktop pic. Thank you very much. :cool:

And why would you need a reset button in OS X? I haven't touched mine except on installing several programs that requested it and most of the new loaders have auto reset in them. Outside of that just go to the Apple Menu and click on restart. We are outgrowing the old OS and no longer need the reset button. As Apple says: "Think Different".
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.
post #54 of 87
If the reset button is really missing Jobs should have said something like:

"We removed the floppy when we introduced the iMac back in 98´. Because of the internet and email we didn´t think that anyone would need one. And we were right. This time we went one step further. We removed the reset button. Because of X we know you won´t need it."

That would have been cool (even though only existing mac users will get it)
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #55 of 87
Nostradamus,

In your photo it looks like the Apple Store (?) people didn't take the plastic tabs out of the center of the speakers. They are there to protect the speaker cones in transit. They MUST be removed or the sound isn't anywhere near what it should be.. muffled, muddy,etc. It's amazing how many times I've seen this "not" done!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #56 of 87
Actually, I don't think I've seen a pic yet with that cover in place... I'm sure it's not on those speakers in this picture.

Weren't they something that covered the center, with 3 small holes in it? Doesn't look like that in this pic...

??
post #57 of 87
Murbot you may be right but it sure looks like the inserts are still in there. If you look at the center area on the left speaker there's a tab of plastic that starts at about 7 on the left bottom and ends up at 2 on the right top. I used to see those tabs in place everytime I went into a CompUSA when they were on display with the Cube. It may just be the lighting, but here's the speaker without the insert:

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
post #58 of 87
OMG, that is one of the most enticing new iMac pictures I've seen yet!

Also, kudos to Paul S. for the well-researched summary of the new iMac, written in great detail. I love you man
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #59 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by Anders:
<strong>If the reset button is really missing Jobs should have said something like:

"We removed the floppy when we introduced the iMac back in 98´. Because of the internet and email we didn´t think that anyone would need one. And we were right. This time we went one step further. We removed the reset button. Because of X we know you won´t need it."

That would have been cool (even though only existing mac users will get it)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the reset function is still there; they've just made it like the laptops. Hold down power for a few seconds, and the unit will turn off. Then press it again to start it up again. An extra step, but hey, OS X is here.
post #60 of 87
I hope that the delay in shipment won't sway the newbies descisions to bye a mac. That could be a bad scenario
post #61 of 87
I assume you mean "buy" rather then "bye" as in "goodbye".

There has been no delay in the new iMac. It was announced for sale by the end of the month and will be available next week!
post #62 of 87
ctrl+apple+power will reset a laptop directly...

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: New ]</p>
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #63 of 87
beautiful photo...thanks....dang, still "being assembled" at the apple store site....will be happy happy happy when i see it changed to "Being Prepped for Shipment" g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #64 of 87
Thanks for all the comments and photos!

It is weird, but I actually had a dream last night about buying the new iMac... don't remember details but I did wake up all hot and bothered

I bought one of the original mac II boxes which is in the basement - and it still runs well by the way (tho S L O W L Y) and I paid $7200 for that baby when it came out. Had to take out a loan!

Bought an iMac Rev B when they came out.

Will HAVE to HAVE one of these new boxes ASAP. Bought my first Digital Video camera over the weekend and will have to have something to burn DVDs of the kids!

Thanks again
Ariel
<a href="http://home.swbell.net/maunger" target="_blank">Custom WaterColor Portraits</a>
make WONDERFUL gifts!
<a href="http://home.swbell.net/maunger" target="_blank">Custom WaterColor Portraits</a>
make WONDERFUL gifts!
post #65 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by Ariel:
<strong>
Bought an iMac Rev B when they came out.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

By the way - silly story about my old iMac.

Last year, my cat (who used to love to sleep on the top of my warm iMac) decided she needed to throw up, but didn't bother to get OFF of the iMac... all that goop went thru the vent holes and somehow managed to fry my monitor!

Thank goodness i was able to connect another monitor to that old iMac box - otherwise I'd have to pay more than it is worth for parts just to fix it. (guess it will go up on ebay after i get my new iMac).

Soon I'll have an iMac my cat can't sleep on!

make WONDERFUL gifts!
make WONDERFUL gifts!
post #66 of 87
<strong>

By the way - silly story about my old iMac.

Last year, my cat (who used to love to sleep on the top of my warm iMac) decided she needed to throw up, but didn't bother to get OFF of the iMac... all that goop went thru the vent holes and somehow managed to fry my monitor!

Thank goodness i was able to connect another monitor to that old iMac box - otherwise I'd have to pay more than it is worth for parts just to fix it. (guess it will go up on ebay after i get my new iMac).

Soon I'll have an iMac my cat can't sleep on!

Might I suggest tossing the cat?
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #67 of 87
Wow, thank you for that report pscates. I want mine now! I've already ordered and received a 512MB memory module.

Now which store is going to get these things first?
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #68 of 87
I am nothing, if not thorough. Don't believe in "half-assing" it, iMac field report or otherwise.

You get it all or you get none. Heehee.
post #69 of 87
belle...where did you get your memory from?? thanks...planning to get 512 more also...g
post #70 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by thegelding:
<strong>belle...where did you get your memory from?? thanks...planning to get 512 more also...g</strong><hr></blockquote>
I got it from <a href="http://www.crucial.com" target="_blank">Crucial</a>. You can find cheaper ($215.99 including 2nd day delivery), but I've ordered a lot of memory from Crucial over the last few years (Including an order for 240 modules), and haven't had a single problem.
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #71 of 87
thanks belle...i bought my 256 mb for my current iMac from crucial too...worked great...plus i ordered on a Thursday...and received it on Friday!!! and i live in the boonies...don't know how they got it to me so fast....so was probably going to get mine from crucial too...my only thoughts/complaints was that it is CL=3 for the 512 and CL=2 for the 256....why is the 512 slower...and is CL=3 that much slower than CL=2???
why did you get 512 over the 256 (which is much less)?? thanks g
post #72 of 87
Kingston is running a promo where you buy 1 256meg DIMM for your G4 and get 1 free. It will work in the iMac too so I don't know why they're calling it "G4" RAM.

<a href="http://shop.kingston.com/g4promo/" target="_blank">http://shop.kingston.com/g4promo/</a>

Price is high though. You can just buy 2 sticks from crucial and it would STILL be cheaper. 2 day shipping is free at cruical too. Is Kingston memory that much better or are they just over priced? (woops off topic, sorry)
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #73 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by thegelding:
<strong>thanks belle...i bought my 256 mb for my current iMac from crucial too...worked great...plus i ordered on a Thursday...and received it on Friday!!! and i live in the boonies...don't know how they got it to me so fast....so was probably going to get mine from crucial too...my only thoughts/complaints was that it is CL=3 for the 512 and CL=2 for the 256....why is the 512 slower...and is CL=3 that much slower than CL=2???
why did you get 512 over the 256 (which is much less)?? thanks g</strong><hr></blockquote>
It seems that nobody's producing a 512MB SODIMM with a latency less than 3 yet. It's not really something that you'd notice anyway.

I decided to go for the 512MB module because I wanted as much memory as possible for Final Cut Pro, and it seemed (If not cheaper) than getting the internal 256MB in the iMac bumped to 512MB.
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #74 of 87
I ordered mine last Wednesday I can't wait to get it. I'm afraid I'll have to wait for a while. I ordered it from the Apple store because of the Apple Education Loan Thing. The closest store is up near Dallas (5 hr drive for me) so that's out of the question. Now I find myself not sleeping, counting the days until it ships. Damn! I'm more wound up about this than the iBook I bought in August. This is bordering on obsession. I browse websites all day to get more info on it and I stay up at night thinking about it! Somewhere inbetween I'm suppose to finish my thesis. Damn those Apple bad boys and their insanely great products!
huh?
huh?
post #75 of 87
I wonder just how many iMacs are going to be available the first day they're in the Apple stores? I should maybe slip a rock in my bag in case there's some kind of sales fever thing going on.

I also wonder if it's true - and I've heard this from three separate sources now - that there is a polishing cloth in each iMac box to remove fingerprints from the metal neck? Sheesh.
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #76 of 87
Yup, there's a polishig cloth because the metal neck is stanless steel (same as the back of the iPod), not chrome . Since the neck is indicated as the "handle" why not include something to keep it nice and shiny after getting one's hands on it. Adults tend to keep their hands fairly clean, kids don't.
post #77 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by Belle:
<strong>I wonder just how many iMacs are going to be available the first day they're in the Apple stores? I should maybe slip a rock in my bag in case there's some kind of sales fever thing going on.

I wonder if the Apple stores will have line tickets and people sleeping on the sidewalk like they do for concert/sports tickets? I'd bet that would get news coverage ggggggggggg

Ariel
make WONDERFUL gifts!
make WONDERFUL gifts!
post #78 of 87
<strong>

I wonder if the Apple stores will have line tickets and people sleeping on the sidewalk like they do for concert/sports tickets? I'd bet that would get news coverage ggggggggggg

Ariel</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's actually a good idea.
post #79 of 87
So there's no programmer's button or hole? How will I install new firmware?

I know about the hold power button down for four seconds and it shuts down. I've used it sometimes. Works on mayn modern PCs too.
post #80 of 87
[quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:
<strong>So there's no programmer's button or hole? How will I install new firmware?</strong><hr></blockquote>
I've updated the firmware of several Macs over the last few years, and I've never once been required to use the programmer's button. Isn't it only really necessary if you are doing your own tweaking? Or is that what you meant?
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › The New iMac Is Selling Very Well - Lookee