iMac CD-R ($1299)
- Burns CDs at 24x :eek: ($1499 Combo Drive model burns at 12x)
- Has same processor, hard drive, video card, etc. as $1499 model
- Totally affordable...GREAT price for all that, especially considering it's faster than the original G4 Cube AND has a 15" LCD!
- Only 128MB RAM (may or may not be an issue for you, I don't know...would for me)
- No speakers (pay an extra $59)
Personally, I AM getting the SuperDrive model.
However, if I wasn't and it came down between the low and mid-range model, I'd go for the mid-range combo drive.
To me, I always wanted a combo drive (you never know...watching movies or videos might be cool on that screen!). And to get twice the RAM, the cool speakers AND a combo drive for only $200 more dollars is something that appeals to me.
IMO, you can't go wrong with ANY of the new iMac models. They all rock.
I do, however, wish they would allow you to BTO them a bit at the online Apple Store (larger hard drive, mainly, but also be able to buy a 800MHz model, BUT downgrade to a combo drive or CD-R...get the highest speed/power, BUT not have to pay for a drive that you may never use.
If I could do that, it's what I would get, actually: 800MHz with combo drive. And I'm sure if I waited until this summer or fall, I could do just that.
Screw it...I've waited long enough!