or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Did Steve forget to tell us something?

Did Steve forget to tell us something?

post #1 of 32
OK, so this is another interesting story from my time at the Apple Store...

So before I left I was playing with the new iMac again. On the other imac was a guy who was talking to a salesman (a different one then the one in my other story). The man said that he liked the black Pro Keyboards better than the white, Jokingly I said to the guy "I'll trade you my black one for the white one when you get an iMac". Then the salesman said to me that the new white keyboards have USB 2.0. Anyone think it's true?
post #2 of 32
No.
post #3 of 32
I didn't think so.
post #4 of 32
Um.. absolute balderdash, if that were so, then the new iMac would have to have USB 2.0 as well, yes? Also... since the only advantage of USB 2.0 over 1.1 is speed, and since USB 1.1 devices will work on a USB 2.0 bus, why, exactly, would you want to bother with a USB 2.0 keyboard and mouse?

Also, the tech specs on the imac page clearly state that it's USB 1.1. <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html</a>

Come on now, kids, the people who work at the Apple store have no inside knowledge, just like all Apple sales reps. They know nothing more than we do, though, yeah, they generally find out about stuff like, five whole minutes before the rest of us.

ciao,

michael
my other signature is witty
my other signature is witty
post #5 of 32
No but I'll take that white mouse!
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #6 of 32
This is why people like EmAn should work in the Apple store.

I'm sure there's plenty of qualified people working in SOME of the stories, but so far my experiences haven't been all that great.
I ask for simple thing and get that "what the hell are you talking about" look. I hate that.

I guess it could be worse, they could be CompUSA employees. hah
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #7 of 32
No but I'll take that white mouse!

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #8 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:
<strong>This is why people like EmAn should work in the Apple store.

I'm sure there's plenty of qualified people working in SOME of the stories, but so far my experiences haven't been all that great.
I ask for simple thing and get that "what the hell are you talking about" look. I hate that.

I guess it could be worse, they could be CompUSA employees. hah</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wish I was old enough to work there. I'm sure I could get the job since the manager and a few of the other employees know me since I'm always there.

Wasn't one of the big things about the Apple Store that they were supposed to have people working there that know the Mac platform perfectly and stuff? So far I haven't seen that, at least not at Palisades.
post #9 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>

I wish I was old enough to work there. I'm sure I could get the job since the manager and a few of the other employees know me since I'm always there.

Wasn't one of the big things about the Apple Store that they were supposed to have people working there that know the Mac platform perfectly and stuff? So far I haven't seen that, at least not at Palisades.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I bet you could sell a couple dozen more machines with your knowledge. Hell, why aren't any of us on this forum working at an Apple Store?
Ehh, well I guess I could answer that one for myself at least.....I'm not into the retail gig and I guess programming is a little more lucrative
post #10 of 32
I would love to work at an Apple store because now I am 16 and old enough to work for a certain number of hours per week. It really sucks that there is not Apple Store near me.(

The local Circuit City is about as close as I could get and there the people dont care about your knowledge they care about sales experience. I am going to apply for the Circuit City job and apply under the job title of "Mac Expert." hehe!
post #11 of 32
How old do you actually have to be to work at an Apple Store?
post #12 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>How old do you actually have to be to work at an Apple Store?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got through the process of being called for several postions with Apple, one being to work at an apple store and was told I had to be 18. I think that's ridiculous. I know the mac better than nearly anyone and if I DON'T know something and someone asks me I ALWAYS find the answer and absolutely engulf myself in the topic.

I think I would be a good salesperson or at least mac Genius.

We'll see, I'm hoping that when I camp out at the SOHO store for 4 weeks this summer they'll cave in and give me a shot
post #13 of 32
Damn. I have to wait 3 more years if I actually wanna work in an Apple Store. That's the age I figured though.
post #14 of 32
I wish we had anything like a mac store within 40 miles, but no luck there. The nearist is the Apple store in DC (47 miles) or Towson Computing (41 miles)
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #15 of 32
same requirement to work Apple Demo Days too

I've talked with the manager (I guess it was the manager) of the apple demo days on the phone a couple times because the Wiz near me never has a rep and when it does he is horrible so I tried to convince him to give me a shot. He tried to talk someone into it (don't what his/her title was) and I was all ready to go for a while but then he called back and said no, for legal reasons they can't do it.

I said I would do it for FREE. don't pay me a dime, just send me the needed materials and I would do it as many days as he needed. Still no.

I don't know what else I could have done. I tried
post #16 of 32
It sucks that Apple makes you be 18 or older for all of that. Just think about all of us who are under 18 that deserve at least a chance. It really pisses me off.
post #17 of 32
16+2=18 So, lie already! You wouldn't be the first employee to fudge the application. lol joe
GoodMorning, Doctor, Name_ _____ _ , Return, Yesterday, Tomorrow.
GoodMorning, Doctor, Name_ _____ _ , Return, Yesterday, Tomorrow.
post #18 of 32
If I were you guys, I'd be happy I was still as young as you are. Being an adult sucks. While I don't miss my high school days, I really miss college.

One day you'll be talking about how no one wants to hire you because you're too old!!! (I'm not even close to that yet thank God)
post #19 of 32
There should be no age limit as long as you know your shit.
post #20 of 32
USB 2.0?

I think he just misheard "Two USB"...
&lt;- Whats this button do?
&lt;- Whats this button do?
post #21 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:
<strong>There should be no age limit as long as you know your shit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While nice to think about, the reality is that perceptions matter. When Joe Shmoe walks into an Apple store they want service from a knowledgeable "adult" not from their kids' budies. Sorry... but its the truth.

When I was 15 I worked at a local computer store as a technician doing Mac and PC repair. They kept me as far away from the counter as possible! They didn't want the customers to know that they were paying $60 an hour to have some freshman fix their computer!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #22 of 32
What if you LOOK 18 or older?
post #23 of 32
I agree with apple it is all about appearance, they don't want people to think "kids" are selling their hardware.

I applied for a job at a local Computer City after helping my friend buy a mac there. The sales person who helped us didn't know squat about macs, and after seeing my knowledge he told me to apply. I spoke to the manager and he said come by tomorrow with a resume. I did and i filled out the application. Then i didn't hear from them for almost a month...as it turns out that store went out of business just weeks after i applied. Very annoying, it definitely could have been my dream job. O well, now i teach little kids how to swim...(yse i know that has nothing to do with the rest of the story)
post #24 of 32
<strong>What if you LOOK 18 or older? </strong><hr></blockquote>

one would think that would help, but it doesn't.

I easily pass as 18 and possibly 21. I'll be 17 in a couple of weeks (2/11).

My plan is to
1.) get Apple Technician Certification (pretty easy to get)
2.) Get a job at a CompUSA
3.) After getting some experience with that apply again for the Apple Store retail job and see what happens.
post #25 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by vvedge:
<strong>USB 2.0?

I think he just misheard "Two USB"...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. He said it's USB 2.0 and won't work with the ibook. Something like that.
post #26 of 32
<strong>What if you LOOK 18 or older? </strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be great, wouldn't it?
post #27 of 32
You guys should be happy that you even have a Apple Store near you

Would be pretty far to travel from Sweden everyday

I really hope Apple fires up some Apple Stores in Europe. They havent done much for Europe, i hardly ever hear anything from Apple
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
post #28 of 32
<strong>There should be no age limit as long as you know your shit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

hmm, i think as long as u know ur shit and u can communicate ur shit in a professional manner, then yes, there shouldn't be an age limit.

Saying that u have to be 18 basically reduces the chances of getting immature 'kids' wanting to work for them (though I think most of the ppl on this board who are under 18 demonstrate more maturity online than i've seen here in the office).
post #29 of 32
More and more I keep wishing I was 18. I've brought so many people into that store and they come out wanting a Mac. If only I could convert or try to convert more people.
post #30 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by Evil Ed:
<strong>

hmm, i think as long as u know ur shit and u can communicate ur shit in a professional manner, then yes, there shouldn't be an age limit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree and disagree. There's a difference between knowing backwards and forwards how a product works, and knowing how to sell it too. You all may be under 18, and you may know your "shit," but I bet you don't know as well as an 18+ about customer service.

With age comes wisdom and experience. And you'll still know your shit.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #31 of 32
Hmm.....well I'm 18 but there are no Apple stores so I can't try for a job. However I will be going to college in either Columbus or Cincy, so I guess I could get a job at the stores there while I'm in college. Anyone think I would make a good employee there?
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #32 of 32
[quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:
<strong>

I agree and disagree. There's a difference between knowing backwards and forwards how a product works, and knowing how to sell it too. You all may be under 18, and you may know your "shit," but I bet you don't know as well as an 18+ about customer service.

With age comes wisdom and experience. And you'll still know your shit.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I think I'd be pretty good with customer service. And if I needed advice I could go to my dad because he's a business professor.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Did Steve forget to tell us something?