or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Office killer- PDF as default word processing format

Office killer- PDF as default word processing format - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirkland
While it would be nice if there were a universal word processor format, it's just not so, and likely never will be -- unless you count RTF or DOC. And for better or worse, I need a format that is totally compatible between myself, my editor and anyone else with whom I am collaborating. That's not me giving into a monopoly, that's me putting my needs as a writer ahead of my philosophical desire for open technology.

The document format is where Microsoft's true power lies. And while I will embrace and use an Apple word processor, I don't see it ever displacing the unassailable DOC.

There is a universal format. SGML. Used by governments and business all over the world. SGML meets all your listed needs and it is an open format.

Also, you don't get viruses in sgml docs. Maybe adobe should do some rethinking about framemaker.
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkL
There is a universal format. SGML.

SGML isn't a universal format, its a meta-format for defining document formats.

And in that role it's been replaced by XML (HTML -> XHTML, DocBook SGML -> DocBook XML) which is what's used for basically all new document formats, OpenOffice.org's, Apple Keynote's, even MSFT Office's.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #43 of 43
PDF should never have leeched out of prepress. It is big, controlled by one company, and I haven't seen any consumer apps that handle it well. It is non-standard. Argue all you want, I think it's great for making content and printing it, but as a medium I don't like it personally, it's large, and doesn't play nice with things like Office, Safari, or a few other apps I use from day to day, and it's just a PITA. Reader blows. I'm glad that guy came through with a PDF plugin for Safari but even then, it's buggy, the scroll wheel and Text Find function don't work, etc. Grr.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Office killer- PDF as default word processing format