or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Official Press Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Press Release Thread

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
This thread is dedicated to the linking of press releases, articles, or anything else that may possibly be of interest to the membership. Discussing the links, or adding your own comments along with a link you have posted, is strictly forbidden.

There will be no more new topics started here with only a link to an article/press release. These posts now belong in this thread only.

Thank you.
post #2 of 21
What do we do if we want to discuss that press release/article after someone else posts it?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #3 of 21
Tell MacsRGood4U to quit posting every press release on earth, and tell him not to post them in their entirety in the body of his posts. I think this thread is mainly for him...
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #4 of 21
Why is that so bad? All the news coming to me while I don't even have to lift my lazy click finger? It's probably not as bad as, say, bumping old threads? I hope I won't see a misty-eyed goodbye effectuated by another member anytime soon.

What's up with you guys?

post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
Why is that so bad?

I think this thread is just a temporary reminder to use common sense, and not really an ultimatum. Some things need to be said however. With regards to MacsRGood4U:

1) He tends not to acknowlegde the sourc. He should, even if the source is just relaying AP or Reuters bulletins.

2) He tends to paste entire lengthy blocks of other peoples words. Quotes are to be used in context. I don't quote entire messages in my replies unless they are concise and to the point.

3) He should at least make some initial comments. I hate clicking on a topic and finding a press release I've just read and nothing more. If he doesn't even have anything to say, why is he posting entire press releases in a paste and run manner.

4) Posting tech news isn't bad when it's done right. As long as he heeds 1-3 above, it's alright. The way in which some users just copy and paste entire articles from other sites into messages is freaking annoying. A lot of people do it. TigerKR does that shit on the Mac Achaia. A lot of people do it here.

Quote:
What's up with you guys?


Well, it seems I made a comment, and I wasn't the only one who thought the same way. Who are "you guys" anyway? I'm not even a moderator.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
- Snip -

3) He almost never accompanies the topic with any comments of his own. This is a forum of discussion, not a news bulletin kiosk. If he doesn't even have anything to say, why is he posting entire press releases in a drive-by manner.


Sure, its a discussion forum, but then I guess I don't understand what this means (from first post):

Quote:
Discussing the links, or adding your own comments along with a link you have posted, is strictly forbidden.

I guess I'm just unclear about the rules. We can post a link to a press release, news item etc, but not discuss it?
Or unless we have a specific question/topic for discussion in relation to a press release, we have to post the link here?
Confused,
Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth2

I guess I'm just unclear about the rules. We can post a link to a press release, news item etc, but not discuss it?
Or unless we have a specific question/topic for discussion in relation to a press release, we have to post the link here?
Confused,
Thoth

I suggested a dedicated non-sticky thread for MacsRGood4U alone, a personal jizz-bucket to put things bluntly. I've never had a problem with posting links to other articles, then making commentary on them.

I do take umbrage at the use of post-and-run tactics when the body of the post isn't even your own. This thread will hopefully accomplish one thing...it will change some posting habits, and then it can disappear.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #8 of 21
Does this mean that if you want to provide a link to a story, you have to provide it here---but you cant discuss it? And if you want to discuss something, you have to go to another forum-a forum where links that can help inform and inspire discussion are banned? If this is what Murbot meant, then I personally plan to ignore.

Murbot - typical bloody Canadian they think that they rule the world. Well let me tell you, cornering the maple syrup market may well put Canada in charge from an economic, strategic, and geopolitical standpoint, but that does not mean that the rest of the world is entirely irrelevant. I suggest that we refer this entire issue of posting links in general forums to a Committee composed of one representative each from Denmark, France, Australia, Britain, Belgium, the USA and the Iraqi Governing Council. They can then formulate a recommendation to Murbot. I will acknowledge that Murbot will still have the final say, but at least his decision, at that point, will be fully informed.

Of course, I shall still ignore the final decision, but I am Canadian and we who make the rules, can break the rules.
tribalfusion?
Reply
tribalfusion?
Reply
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
Does this mean that if you want to provide a link to a story, you have to provide it here---but you cant discuss it? And if you want to discuss something, you have to go to another forum-a forum where links that can help inform and inspire discussion are banned? If this is what Murbot meant, then I personally plan to ignore.

Oh yes, this is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do. If you have actually read any of the posts here and THAT is what you walk away with, you should really read it again, my Canadian brother.

In light of some recent posts here, I thought the sarcasm in the first post here would have been more noticeable. If not, my apologies. Read it again knowing that it is 100% sarcastic and you'll get the idea. Eugene has hit the nail on the head.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot

In light of some recent posts here, I thought the sarcasm in the first post here would have been more noticeable. If not, my apologies. Read it again knowing that it is 100% sarcastic and you'll get the idea. Eugene has hit the nail on the head.

I think you may underestimate the subtlety of Canadian humor, Murbot. I spent a week in Hamilton last month and now I think everyone was pulling my leg. I get it now though!
Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
post #11 of 21
Well I was just teasing you too.

In any case, still no links in this thread, so further to my previous post, I thought that we should start with this:Imperious Leader. Discuss.
tribalfusion?
Reply
tribalfusion?
Reply
post #12 of 21
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This isn't AO and merely posting links isn't just to incite anger in people with poor self-control. Personally, if I see a thread started by MacsAreGood4U, I know it's a press release. If you don't like it, don't click it. Sheesh. Some people are getting their butt-hairs in a wad over nothing.
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
Reply
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
Reply
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth2
I think you may underestimate the subtlety of Canadian humor, Murbot. I spent a week in Hamilton last month and now I think everyone was pulling my leg. I get it now though!
Thoth

They were all laughing at you.

post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth2
I think you may underestimate the subtlety of Canadian humor

my GOD!!! i have never seen a sentence with the words "subtlety" and "Canadian humor" in it before...nearly had my whole aortic arch cough out my left nostril when i saw that...just Google Images Canadian humor and this is what you get:



and this:



yeah, those canuckers sure are subtle....

g

and, of course, the term "subtlety of Canadian humor" produced nothing found!!
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
my GOD!!! --snip--

yeah, those canuckers sure are subtle....

g

Well, that guy clearly wasn't from Hamilton. Of course, compared to American humor, those pictures are nuanced masterpieces, eh?
BTW, I was shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, when the people we were hanging out with actually said "eh?" and "took" (or however you spell it - ski hat in American). Again, I thought they were pulling my leg. I responded with, "So, do you like Old Time hockey, then, eh?" Of couse, they didn't get it.
Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
It's toque.

Nice find there thegelding, but if it was authentic, the guy would be sitting in a truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by pensieve
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This isn't AO and merely posting links isn't just to incite anger in people with poor self-control. Personally, if I see a thread started by MacsAreGood4U, I know it's a press release. If you don't like it, don't click it. Sheesh. Some people are getting their butt-hairs in a wad over nothing.

OK. I made this thread as a little jab at MacsRGood4U I'll admit, and didn't expect to see all the support of his manner of posting. Not just for him, but for anyone who does it. Personally I find it annoying, and the dozen or more members I've casually asked on iChat about it all agreed. I'll just go by a few of Eugene's points.

Quote:
2) He tends to paste entire lengthy blocks of other peoples words. Quotes are to be used in context. I don't quote entire messages in my replies unless they are concise and to the point.

I don't see how this can't be annoying. Having a good thread interrupted by a 2 page chunk of quoted text from some article with NO comment from the poster at all, is just wrong in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with selecting tidbits from articles to use in your posts - in fact, it's what a lot of people do - but just pasting in 500 words from an article or press release and hitting reply isn't helping much.

Quote:
3) He should at least make some initial comments. I hate clicking on a topic and finding a press release I've just read and nothing more. If he doesn't even have anything to say, why is he posting entire press releases in a paste and run manner.

I'm sorry, but personally I find this one annoying too. I really like to click on a thread, see a link and maybe a few choice selections from an article, and then the member's take on it, with some sort of comment or question that gets a discussion going. This isn't a place to audition for a job at www.macsurfer.com, and most of us can scan a page like that if we want to. We don't necessarily need it done for us here.

Quote:
4) Posting tech news isn't bad when it's done right. As long as he heeds 1-3 above, it's alright. The way in which some users just copy and paste entire articles from other sites into messages is freaking annoying. A lot of people do it. TigerKR does that shit on the Mac Achaia. A lot of people do it here.

I'm sure most people don't spend 100% of their time here. Is it really necessary to have a thread containing nothing more than a link, or the article pasted in it's entirety? I just don't see why it's necessary to post a thread if you have no opinion or comment on it at all.

Anyhow, I think it's best to move this thread into Suggestions, and I'll leave the link in this forum to make it easy to find. I'm interested to hear some more feedback on this issue.
post #17 of 21
I guess I can see the points Eugene and Murbot make. That said, I just got done reading the whole Va Tech Teraflop thread and I like the little excerpts quoted there. My linky finger is lazy....

Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
post #18 of 21
The sarcasm is clear, and the idea is doubtlessly funny and well-meant but that doesn't mean it can't be a small blow to MacsRGood4U and his (I'd add "/her", but who are we kidding, this forum is 99.9% male) self-respect. That is, if MacsRGood4U is a bit unsteady in that department, which I do not know, and don't wish to make a statement about.

Anyway, in my very own opinion, I think exposing one particular member like this is just mean and unnecessary. And yes. You may all step forward now and start shouting how mean and evil-spirited and bile-filled this world really is and why should this virtual non-place be any different. Nonetheless. The Golden Rule! How would you feel if you'd had a wee toiletry mishap and one of your buddies took a snap of it and started mass-mailing it around the world, with millions laughing at your brown striped chubby butt? Like in this picture:



That's meanness squared, and that's just about what has happened to MacsRGood4U.

That doesn't mean I think Eugene is blowing it out his rectum (forgive the pun, Eugene). Not at all, he makes a very good case and has converted just about all of me.

In conclusion: the message is more than alright, its style, however, leaves much room for improvement.

None of this is life-threatening, however, so don't lose sleep over it. I for one, will fiercely try not to.
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
In all honesty, I didn't think the thread would go like this. My original thought was that people would end up turning this into a humorous kind of thing, like the word association threads. One person posts a link, the next link posted goes off on a tangent from that one. With who was online last night, I figured a few funny posts right away was guaranteed.

In fact, I had a couple of links in mind and planned on adding them, but didn't get back to do it. I agree it seems mean to single out someone in the forums like this. It's a topic that should have been discussed here without being specific as to a particular member. Going back over this thread, I feel bad about the whole thing.

Sorry man.
post #20 of 21
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf

That's meanness squared

Now that I'm done barfing....

Got any more?

Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Official Press Release Thread