or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › damn, now apple's just playing with me!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

damn, now apple's just playing with me!!

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
went to apple store and saw that my order was changed from "being assembled" to "partially shipped"!!! i got all excited till i remembered that i added office x to my order a couple of days ago and i'm sure that is what shipped, and that the iMac is still being put together somewhere in Asia....it did make me happy though for a few seconds...of course now i will have office x sitting at home for a week before i have a computer to put it on...just sitting there taunting me....g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
post #2 of 30
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thegelding:
<strong>went to apple store and saw that my order was changed from "being assembled" to "partially shipped"!!! i got all excited till i remembered that i added office x to my order a couple of days ago and i'm sure that is what shipped, and that the iMac is still being put together somewhere in Asia....it did make me happy though for a few seconds...of course now i will have office x sitting at home for a week before i have a computer to put it on...just sitting there taunting me....g</strong>[/
QUOTE]

post #3 of 30
Oh that must really suck. I could imagine how happy I'd be. Then I'd be so pissed that I realized I didn't just order the iMac.
post #4 of 30
Same here, when I saw the partially shipped icon I jumped for joy, until I figured out that it was for my Applecare protection plan
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Reply
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Reply
post #5 of 30
I feel your pain. I got a firewire cable with my new iMac and it shipped a day after I ordered it. My iMac is still backordered to the 31st.
post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
well, the site doesn't tell me what was shipped and what wasn't (i have the new iMac and office v. X on order.....so maybe i'll try and delude myself into thinking that office x is yet to ship and that it is the new iMac that is shipping now....yeah, that's it, i'm sure it's the iMac and not the software that's on the way... .....ok, now is the time for thegelding to put down the crack pipe and slowly step away.....if i get the iMac before office x i'll eat a hat...and not a small hat or visor...i big texas sized cowboy hat..... g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
Reply
post #7 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by imacSE:
<strong>I feel your pain. I got a firewire cable with my new iMac and it shipped a day after I ordered it. My iMac is still backordered to the 31st. </strong><hr></blockquote>

what's the firewire cable for?
post #8 of 30
Although I can't speak for iMacSE I got a firewire cable to hook up my iBook to the iMac via target mode. I do this at work and it's great for transferring files. I also had it, my iSub and DVD-R discs shipped...but no iMac....oh the agony. I guess I'll live though....still counting the days.
huh?
Reply
huh?
Reply
post #9 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by Taq:
<strong>Although I can't speak for iMacSE I got a firewire cable to hook up my iBook to the iMac via target mode. I do this at work and it's great for transferring files. I also had it, my iSub and DVD-R discs shipped...but no iMac....oh the agony. I guess I'll live though....still counting the days. </strong><hr></blockquote>
How does target mode work?
"I don't think I'm ever going to find Jesus Christ, So I'd rather spend my cash on vice."
--The Twelve Steps by Spiritualized
Reply
"I don't think I'm ever going to find Jesus Christ, So I'd rather spend my cash on vice."
--The Twelve Steps by Spiritualized
Reply
post #10 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by spicoli:
<strong>
How does target mode work?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Connect two firewire equipped Macs with a firewire cable, start up the first one then start up the second one while holding the "T" key. The hard disk of the second will show up on the desktop of the first so you can copy files like it's a standard external hard disk.
post #11 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

what's the firewire cable for?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Firewire Target Disk Mode. I have lot of files to transfer and my DVSE does not have a CD-RW.
post #12 of 30
I guess I was right. Looks like we had the same thing in mind when we got the firewire cable iMacSE. Great MacMinds think alike
huh?
Reply
huh?
Reply
post #13 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by thegelding:
<strong>went to apple store and saw that my order was changed from "being assembled" to "partially shipped"!!! i got all excited till i remembered that i added office x to my order a couple of days ago and i'm sure that is what shipped, and that the iMac is still being put together somewhere in Asia....it did make me happy though for a few seconds...of course now i will have office x sitting at home for a week before i have a computer to put it on...just sitting there taunting me....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same exact thing happened to me. I ordered office and the new superdrive iMac. Got office already, unwrapped it, and thumbed through the "manual". Now it sits on my desk anxiously awaiting the arrival of my very first Mac. The waiting is killing me! I've been a long time PC user -- Hope I'm not disappointed
post #14 of 30
Is this Target mode not only for iBooks but even for FW equipped iMacs?
post #15 of 30
It'll work with firewire equipped iMacs. It'll basically work with any mac that came with a firewire plugbuilt into it. You can do it from tower to ibook or vice versa, and from imac to tower or ibook or vice versa. Really fast too.
huh?
Reply
huh?
Reply
post #16 of 30
I could have used this the other day when I transferred 4.5GB of data to my powerbook, unfortunately I didn't have a 6-6cable only a 4-6 , and it was Sunday so I couldn't go buy one....
post #17 of 30
IIRC, there's an RFC describing IP over Firewire.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Stoo ]</p>
Stoo
Reply
Stoo
Reply
post #18 of 30
Sorry for appearing quite slow but this target mode is new to me. Does this mean I can use this to transfer files from my old Rev B imac to my new one?
My computer worked yesterday,
Today it isn't working.
Windows is like that.
Reply
My computer worked yesterday,
Today it isn't working.
Windows is like that.
Reply
post #19 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by jimdad:
<strong>Sorry for appearing quite slow but this target mode is new to me. Does this mean I can use this to transfer files from my old Rev B imac to my new one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You need firewire ports on both machines and I don't think your Rev B has them. When you connect two computers using Target Disk Mode one becomes an external hard drive and shows up on the other machines desktop as firewire drive.
post #20 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by jimdad:
<strong>Sorry for appearing quite slow but this target mode is new to me. Does this mean I can use this to transfer files from my old Rev B imac to my new one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rev B as in the second 233 Mhz model? If you can find the hidden firewire port then go ahead but look for the port before you buy the cable
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #21 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by Anders:
<strong>

Rev B as in the second 233 Mhz model? If you can find the hidden firewire port then go ahead but look for the port before you buy the cable
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats not very nice

BTW if you was a F/W port, check out sonnet's Harmoni upgrade for the iMac 500MHz G3 and F/W.... NOW SHIPPING. Looking to get one soon...<a href="http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pricelist.html" target="_blank">Link</a>
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #22 of 30
hehe, I ordered my new iMac on the 8th of Jan, from the Apple store. The moment I saw the iMac at MacWorld SF I had to have one. My Order status has said partially shipped since Jan 10th! I also ordered an iPod which is no use to me without that iMac. Considering the fact that I still use my trusty Rev A iMac!!! I waited and waited for a new CPU... Ive waited this long for a new Mac... arrrgghh!! I sit and stare at this beautiful iPod awaiting the day when I can finally use it. As well as be able to use the new iMac =( soon enough.. it will come =)
Where's my iMac?
Reply
Where's my iMac?
Reply
post #23 of 30
At least you know you're getting an iMac. My idiot dad just forwarded me the following letter:

Tracking Number :

Reference Number :
Ship Date : 01/23/2002
Delivered To :
Delivery Location : GARY IN
Delivery Date/Time :
Signed For By :
Service Type : IP Direct Distribution

Scan Activity Date/Time Scan Exceptions
------------- ---------------- ---------------
Left FedEx Origin Location TAIPEI TW 01/23/2002 14:28
Pickup status TAIPEI TW 01/23/2002 13:27 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

Disclaimer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FedEx has not validated the authenticity of any email address.

(I deleted the numbers)


I don't know if he's ordered me an iMac or something else, but whatever it is, it shipped yesterday.
post #24 of 30
If he got you an iMac, I wouldn't be calling him an idiot. Something along the lines of outragiously cool father person would be more like it. Still, damn gift tease! Eitherway, congrats on getting a new "machine".
huh?
Reply
huh?
Reply
post #25 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by iDude:
<strong>At least you know you're getting an iMac. My idiot dad just forwarded me the following letter:

Tracking Number :

Reference Number :
Ship Date : 01/23/2002
Delivered To :
Delivery Location : GARY IN
Delivery Date/Time :
Signed For By :
Service Type : IP Direct Distribution

Scan Activity Date/Time Scan Exceptions
------------- ---------------- ---------------
Left FedEx Origin Location TAIPEI TW 01/23/2002 14:28
Pickup status TAIPEI TW 01/23/2002 13:27 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

Disclaimer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FedEx has not validated the authenticity of any email address.

(I deleted the numbers)


I don't know if he's ordered me an iMac or something else, but whatever it is, it shipped yesterday.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh boy. I hope you didnt get screwed.
<img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
post #26 of 30
I'm not calling him an idiot for buying me something, I'm just mad he isn't telling me what it is. What would I be screwed Macintosh? ANY machine he could buy me now (I think it's a machine since he said it was from apple and it's coming from Taiwan) is better than what I have.
post #27 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by iDude:
<strong>I'm not calling him an idiot for buying me something, I'm just mad he isn't telling me what it is. What would I be screwed Macintosh? ANY machine he could buy me now (I think it's a machine since he said it was from apple and it's coming from Taiwan) is better than what I have.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Youd be screwed if it wasnt what you wanted, I think? <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
post #28 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:
<strong>

Youd be screwed if it wasnt what you wanted, I think? <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh. I get you. It isn't an iMac ( I was kinda skeptical since they aren't shipping yet.) It's an iPod, which I REALLY want also, so it all works out.
post #29 of 30
In case you aren't on the Apple iMac email list... from today's email:

"Expected to ship next week and in stores for you to see right now, the new iMac with SuperDrive costs just $1799. "

So it looks like next week at the earliest...

sorry

Ariel
<a href="http://home.swbell.net/maunger" target="_blank">Custom WaterColor Portraits</a>
make WONDERFUL gifts!
Reply
<a href="http://home.swbell.net/maunger" target="_blank">Custom WaterColor Portraits</a>
make WONDERFUL gifts!
Reply
post #30 of 30
[quote]Originally posted by Ariel:
<strong>
So it looks like next week at the earliest...
</strong><hr></blockquote>

This week is almost over anyway so it doesn't really matter. The only thing I hope for is that MacMall will get their supply the same time the Apple stores do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › damn, now apple's just playing with me!!