or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 20" iMac Tomorrow?

20" iMac Tomorrow?

post #1 of 129
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...17144323.shtml (Page 2)

Quote:
At least one report claims that we'll see a 20" iMac as early as tomorrow (Nov 18th). Whether this design would incorporate therumored case redesign or simply a top-heavy version of the current iMacs is not clear.

This will be a short lived thread.
post #2 of 129
Or will the 1.8Ghz Power Mac be uppgraded to a dual?

Link.

Quote:
Hi there,

I work for a reseller, and our internal sales representative was informed bij our Apple distributor that the standard G5 configurations will be altered tomorrow. This is what they told us:

- lower price on the 1.6
- new dual 1.8 due to shipping problems on the dual 2.0

Can anyone confirm this?

Seems a little unlikely this close to January thought \ ... but if true what would happen to the dual 2.0? would it be uppgraded to 2.5Ghz?
post #3 of 129
This might allso be of interest.

Quote:
Apple is on the verge of announcing some new hardware models just in time for the holiday buying season, sources said.

The company will soon announce 20-inch flat-panel iMacs as well as Dual-1.8GHz Power Mac G5s, according to reports. Pricing for the new models is not known, but the 20-inch iMac would ship with a 1.25GHz G4, like the current 17-inch model, bringing up the high end of the iMac line. (Some sources indicated that the new iMac would have a 19-inch screen, rather than a 20-inch display, but the latter is believed to be true.)

The Dual-1.8GHz G5 would also be a new addition; the Power Mac G5 line currently has only one dual-processor unit, the fastest and most popular Dual-2GHz model.

While the date of announcement could not be solidly confirmed, some sources suggested that Apple could release the new models this week, as soon as Tuesday, November 18. As always, we must stress that release dates are subject to change.

One source also said that another product is in the pipeline for future announcement in the sub-$1000 range, and were seeking further details.

Btw, when was the last time Thinksecret was right?
I'm suspecing that there "source" is the one who's posting on MacNN.
post #4 of 129
what do you guys think the dual 1.8 will cost?
post #5 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by whoami

Not 100% sure. A centuries old question.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #6 of 129
here is something has been on my mind... is adding a second processor to your single G5 possible?
post #7 of 129
With a thinner bezel, the 19/20 inch screen would he only slightly larger then the current 17 incher.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #8 of 129
Quote:

Hopefully it stays the same and the 1.6GHz drops down to $1699.
post #9 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUsers
here is something has been on my mind... is adding a second processor to your single G5 possible?

Unfortunately, no. The connector for the second processor is not soldered in. Perhaps in the future some enterprising company will bake a connector on for you with the proper resistors as well.
post #10 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric_Z
Btw, when was the last time Thinksecret was right?

Thinksecret have not been wrong in years.

The closest they came to being wrong was saying the iPod accessories would be introduced at Apple Expo Paris, where in fact they were intro'd about a month later.

This is great news

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #11 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto
This is great news

Sure, until we find out the prices, especially for the 20" iMac.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #12 of 129
Quote:

um... you are incorrect.

Apple planning special edition iPod for Apple Expo
post #13 of 129
joek,

We posted follow-ups concerning the article you referenced; please see this and this.

Thanks,

-Nick
post #14 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick dePlume
joek,

We posted follow-ups concerning the article you referenced; please see this and this.

I'm not saying it was that a big deal... but "have not been wrong in years" was not an accurate statement (see previous post)
post #15 of 129
Surely a 20"iMac (if true) would indicate a big jump in the size of the studio and Cinema displays. Perhaps this agrees with the rumours of a 30" display?
post #16 of 129
With the intro of a 20" iMac, will the 15" iMac be discontinued?

Would they lower the prices on the 17" to cover the removal of the 15"?

Maybe...?
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #17 of 129
A 20" iMac at the current pricing would leave me very... aroused.
post #18 of 129
Quote:

The closest they came to being wrong was saying the iPod accessories would be introduced at Apple Expo Paris, where in fact they were intro'd about a month later.

This is great news

Barto

Great!

I've allways had a problem separating all the Mac rumosites, so if I came across as unnessecarely rude, I apologise.
post #19 of 129
you guys think the dual 1.8 will be $2399?
can you imagine how many they would sell if it were at $1999???
post #20 of 129
Quote:
can you imagine how many they would sell if it were at $1999???

Then the 1.6 tower would have to drop in price...maybe $1699?

Honestly though, I think the price of $2399 is more likely.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #21 of 129
I bet the price increases slightly for the dual 1.8. I'm more interested in this iMac pricing though!
post #22 of 129
Who would be willing to buy a 20" iMac with all the current specs of the 17" at the current price of the 17"?

I think it would be amazing if the 17" dropped to the price of the 15".

Of course, knowing Apple, the 20" will be the most expensive iMac ever.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #23 of 129
Damnit, Nick was watching this thread. Now I look like a total suck-up.

Um, yeah, Nick, your mamma so fat!

...that ought to do the trick...

Barto

post #24 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Who would be willing to buy a 20" iMac with all the current specs of the 17" at the current price of the 17"?

I would, and I'd be grinning all the way home.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #25 of 129
There goes the resale value of my Rev. A G5 1.8 GHz

That's ok: it has more power than I'll need for years.
post #26 of 129
6 or so months ago, I wouldn't have believed this AT ALL. But hell: the new iTunes for Windows, G4 iBooks (NOBODY saw that coming) and just the general flurry of activity Apple has maintained this year almost makes me go "yeah, sounds about right...".

Plus, ThinkSecret is no MOSR. They rarely blow it or miss by too far.

Wow...a 20" iMac. ULTIMATE switcher's machine for the home user/consumer who is - right or wrong - turned off by the current iMac's perceived "tiny screen".

I've got all new ammunition to come at my Mom and sister with if this 20" iMac actually gets unveiled!

Think it'll be the same resolution as the 20" Cinema Display? Man...
post #27 of 129
Just me, or is this becoming the evolution of the iMac?

post #28 of 129
I'm still happy with my 1.6Ghz price, did an Education pricing with Combo (with plans to buy own DVD+-RW)

all for 1650.00
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
post #29 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
... G4 iBooks (NOBODY saw that coming)

sorry and i qoute myself
Quote:
i still don't expect a G4 in the next revision of the ibook though. but i do expect in the fall/winter 2003 timeframe

but you're right: i didn't saw it coming.
Quote:
Think it'll be the same resolution as the 20" Cinema Display? Man...

yes,
(you're the multiple products one screensize evangalist)
but i am curious about the videocard 64mb or 128mb
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #30 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
yes,
(you're the multiple products one screensize evangalist)
but i am curious about the videocard 64mb or 128mb

My exact thoughts.
My brother is in for a new mac, and we've been looking at the G5. He's a 99% gamer, and doesnt want to go Windows!
So its a Radeon 9800 in the iMac, or we'll go with a G5... Reb B..
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #31 of 129
A cookie for you then. Okay, everyone but gar didn't see it coming.

Any way you look at it...what an AMAZING year for Apple. Simply think about all that was released this year, both hardware and software.

I'm extremely impressed!

Go to the press release on Apple's site:

http://www.apple.com/pr/

New PowerBooks, G5, G4 iBooks, new iPods, new this, updated that, refreshed this, tweaked that, etc. Nearly everything has been been massively redone, except for the eMac, iMac and displays. And it's looking like one of those might be taken care of tomorrow. And you just KNOW new displays are lurking around the corner too!
post #32 of 129
Quote:
Wow...a 20" iMac. ULTIMATE switcher's machine for the home user/consumer who is - right or wrong - turned off by the current iMac's perceived "tiny screen".

The current iMac is not perceived as having a "tiny screen". It is perceived as having a slow processor and a high price, two things that will not be rectified by a 20" display.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #33 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by gar yes, (you're the multiple products one screensize evangalist)

Just always seemed to make sense to me: buy 12", 15", 17" (and now 20") and spread 'em across the product line!

post #34 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver The current iMac is not perceived as having a "tiny screen". It is perceived as having a slow processor and a high price, two things that will not be rectified by a 20" display.

I'm only commenting on what I know/hear, Ensign: my PC-using friends/relatives most often comment on the screen (since they're all used to using 17"-19" CRTs and LCDs on their various Gateway, Dell, Compaq, etc. gear.

They don't know enough about "horsepower" and so forth (and none of them are afflicted with specwhoreitis) enough to comment or judge the "slow processor". For the things they do (digital photos, music, making greeting cards, surfing, e-mailing, Solitaire, etc.), a 1GHz or so G4 is more than up for the job.

We Mac-heads ding the stuff harder than the other side, many times.

Believe me, they're just looking for something that works. Especially my Mom...she's got, quite possibly, the crappiest computer I've ever seen or used.

A 20" (or 19") iMac that doesn't feel "smaller" or "lesser" than the 19" Viewsonic she's using (albeit at 1024x768...jeez) might be just enough to make her consider a serious switch. I've been bringing my PowerBook around the past few Sundays and the iTunes/iPhoto demo I did for her pretty much opened her eyes. She seems to be slowly coming around to the notion that Macs are "real computers" and not just a specialized, "niche" platform. And that she can do everything she does now - and then some - in a slicker, more straightforward and hassle-free way.

And I just know there are some cool, 3D-based Solitaire games floating around out there for OS X...

post #35 of 129
Quote:
Believe me, they're just looking for something that works. Especially my Mom...she's got, quite possibly, the crappiest computer I've ever seen or used.

not a mac, i hope?
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #36 of 129
The thing I don't understand is that a 20" iMac would convince me to run out and buy one to replace my Power Mac G4. Immediately.

But I'm in desktop publishing. I'm in the demographic Apple's supposed to be pitching the G5 at. I'm one of the guys who frets at the demands for screen real estate that Adobe apps inflict on the world.

I understand that the iMac seems to have moved upscale a bit, but I can't see how Apple can fathom having DTPers running away from the towers.

Chasing Consumers is great, but Pros are where Apple makes their money now.

This rumor just seems bizarre to me.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #37 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by gar not a mac, i hope?

Of course not! Read my post: my "PC-using friends and relatives...". She's got some huge HP tower thing that looks like a Jeep or crashed spaceship.

And runs about as well...
post #38 of 129
Quote:
my Mom...she's got, quite possibly, the crappiest computer I've ever seen or used.

My mom has pretty much commandeered my 933 quicksilver with it's decent Apple 15-inch LCD Studio Display
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #39 of 129
AI Second Page weighs in with more confirmation:

AppleInsider received several pieces of information over the weekend that stated Apple would release a 20" iMac and dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 on November 18th. The information was not published and assumed to be part of a misinformation campaign due to a lack of confirmation. However, numerous media outlets are now confirming similar tips as authentic.

According to two anonymous reports, Apple retailers in the north east had received shipments of both dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5s and a new 20" iMac as of early this morning. A third 'mystery' product, priced at $749 USD, was said to be unknown and rumored to be either a wide-screen 17" display or possibly a reduced price on the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

The 20" iMac is said to included a 1.25GHz G4 processor and the 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 is to see a "significant reduction in price," according to the information.

post #40 of 129
I'll bet $1.47 that any "mystery item" priced at $749 or whatever is a new display.

Or the iWalk.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 20" iMac Tomorrow?