or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 20" iMac Tomorrow?

20" iMac Tomorrow? - Page 2

post #41 of 129
i think i'm most excited about the mystery product $749...
i sure hope it's either a 17" widescreen or a price drop for the 20"...
tomorrow will be a good day any way you look at it!
post #42 of 129
Might wanna start checking the online store regularly, starting tonight.

There's always a chance the new gear (or info about them) gets accidently uploaded/posted early.

What's the official "okay, it's a no go" time tomorrow that if nothing appears on Apple's site, we consider it a bust?

12 noon PST?

Or earlier?
post #43 of 129
I hope this is the end of the line for the 15" iMac and that the 17" iMac will be right there to fill it's shoes...
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #44 of 129
psh 20" only?

WHERE'S 23" MY CINEMA DISPLAY iMAC

You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #45 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric_Z
This might allso be of interest.

Btw, when was the last time Thinksecret was right?
I'm suspecing that there "source" is the one who's posting on MacNN.

ThinkSecret is perhaps the most reliable mac rumor site nearly everything they report happens...one of the most recent things they reported that didn't happen that i can remember is the Special Edition Apple Paris Expo iPod.
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #46 of 129
The news of a 20 inch imac has got me excited enough to post...

Is this the 'new' imac Quanta were talking of producing?

*Going into fantasy land*

Wouldn't it be great if they did managed to shoehorn a G5 in there but at a lower clock speed, say 1.25Ghz?...

*Cold reality*

Nah. Probably not.
post #47 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by O and A

23"? You're easy to please.

You know those rumors of a 30" display? Yeah...
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #48 of 129
Quote:
wouldn't it be great if they did managed to shoehorn a G5 in there but at a lower clock speed, say 1.25Ghz?...

Where will they put the 6 fans?
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #49 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

On the back of that honkin' big screen.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #50 of 129
Quote:

See the latter part of my post!

On the serious (but slightly fantasy inhabiting) side...

Would it be possible to add a G5 to the current design without the other motherboard improvments that the powermacs have? This may reduce the heat. Would the lower clock speed help this?
post #51 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by gramsci

Would it be possible to add a G5 to the current design without the other motherboard improvments that the powermacs have? This may reduce the heat. Would the lower clock speed help this?

That would be a no and if you could why would you want to severly cripple the g5
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #52 of 129
Quote:
That would be a no and if you could why would you want to severly cripple the g5

As I said, this is fantasy land stuff, why else post on the future rumours board?

I personally would not like to cripple the G5, but thinking about Apple's past record of 'reducing' the feature set of their consumer orientated comps in relation to their 'power user' comps...

Also, what do you think the media (and forum) reaction would be if they did manage to do this, even if it was crip, ahem, reduced?
post #53 of 129
Well, it seems safe to say that the 1.6 G5 will drop in price, the 1.8Ghz tower will fall to $1999 and the dual 1.8Ghz tower will slot in at around $2399.

Now the only major question left is whether or not the 15" iMac will be discontinued and if the 20" iMac will replace the 17" as the top-end model.

We have several situations here:

1. Apple decides to keep the 15" and 17" iMacs where they are now and releases the 20" iMac at an extremely high price point.

2. The 15" iMac is axed, the 17" becomes the new 'low-end' iMac and the 20" iMac sells at the price of the current 17" model.

or...

3. The 15" drops drastically in price leaving the 17" to also drop a few hundred in order to fit the 20" iMac into the line-up.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #54 of 129
If any of this is tru then it si very good news. One it means that apple IS responding to the market. Maybe not in the way we would like but something is better than nothing.

AS to the 1.6GHz machine, this is the saddest machine of the lot, if Apple really wants to move this machine they have to consider doing a couple of things: Keep the current configuration and drop the price to about $1100, because frankly it is not worth much more than that. Or two bring the configuration up to the same standards as the other machines. That is the same PCI busses and memory expansion capabilities.

Thanks
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by job
Then the 1.6 tower would have to drop in price...maybe $1699?

Honestly though, I think the price of $2399 is more likely.
post #55 of 129
Quote:
psh 20" only?

Stuff in that rumored 30"! "Your new widescreen TV... and oh yeah, it's a computer too."
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #56 of 129
Quote:
I personally would not like to cripple the G5, but thinking about Apple's past record of 'reducing' the feature set of their consumer orientated comps in relation to their 'power user' comps...

I don't think a G5-based iMac (in the current form) will have any PCI/PCI-X slots so Apple may not be crippling the feature set so much as 'reducing' (like you mentioned) in order to save costs/reduce heat/whatever.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #57 of 129
Well that depends on what you mean. NO the G5 will never be able to run with the old chip sets, the bus interface won't allow it. Yes the G5 can be implemented with the current technology at a lower power level.

To get to a lower power level some of the things that can be done are:
1. Can the bus interface multiplier. Instead of 1:2 make it 1:3 or 1:4. A 1:3 bus would 400 MHz for a 1.2 GHz machine, this would still be a rather large leap in performance over current hardware but would reduce power used by the system.

2. Us a completely new chip set that is slower, as above, and more limited in scope. The possibility here would be to elimanate a memory channel and maybe go directly to PCI for the I/O bus. Agian a performance limiter but still an improvement over the current machines.

The lower clock rate would help with power but may have a dramtic impact on certian applications. The 970 needs the clock rate to compete against the G4's vector unit. So if one where to use a bus rate of say 533MHz, to compete with intels low end, then we could get and IMac running at 1.6GHz with a 3X multiplier, save a little power and get reasonably good performance.

Knowing Apple though they probally will milk the G4 for the holiday season and then upgrade the machine in the new year.

What is most interesting is what are they doing with the 1.6GHz G5? It would be nice if they brought it up to the same level as the rest of the fmaily.

Dave

Quote:

post #58 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
On the back of that honkin' big screen.

You might be on to something for the future: We're all wondering how Apple's going to get the G5 (or faster processors down the road) into the iMac and keep a compact base design -- well, I'm sure we've all read the rumors about liquid cooling for the PowerBooks, and with the iMac you've just got this big ol' screen standing up in the open like a radiator... I bet that would open up some radical design possibilities! Not soon, but down the road? Sure!
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
post #59 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by jginsbu
You might be on to something for the future: We're all wondering how Apple's going to get the G5 (or faster processors down the road) into the iMac and keep a compact base design -- well, I'm sure we've all read the rumors about liquid cooling for the PowerBooks, and with the iMac you've just got this big ol' screen standing up in the open like a radiator... I bet that would open up some radical design possibilities! Not soon, but down the road? Sure!

And to think I was kidding! Maybe I'm smarter than I am dumberer....
post #60 of 129
Update from Think Secret:

Quote:
The company will announce 20-inch flat-panel iMacs as well as Dual-1.8GHz Power Mac G5s, sources confirmed to Think Secret.

The 20-inch iMac will bring up the high end of the consumer line, reportedly shipping with a 1.25GHz G4, like the current 17-inch model. Pricing for the new iMac is not known, but sources said that availability of the 20-inch iMac will be limited early on.

The Dual-1.8GHz G5 would be a new addition to Apple's professional desktop lineup; the G5 line currently includes only one dual processor unit, the fastest and most popular Dual-2GHz model.

According to reports, the new Dual-1.8GHz model will be priced at $2,499, the Dual-2GHz model will remain at $2,999, the single 1.8GHz model will drop to $2,099 from $2,399, and the single 1.6GHz model will drop to $1,799 from $1,999.

Sources said that Apple plans to announce the new models tomorrow -- Tuesday, November 18. As always, we must stress that release and announcements dates are always subject to change. However, sources believe that Apple's current plans call for a release on Tuesday.
post #61 of 129
Quote:
Update from Think Secret:

Yes... that means that if they keep they still keep the 1.8 single I won't be so left behind with mine...
post #62 of 129
Depending on education pricing after tomorrow, a G5 might be a possibility in the near future.
post #63 of 129

With a little help from GraphicConverter, I scaled the iMac's screen up to a 20". It's not that outlandishly large, really.
post #64 of 129
If that pic is to scale, I would say the base is finally in proportion to the screen visually. (Especially if you cut down on the white perimeter.)

I would still rather see a faster more inexpensive iMac. Maybe the 20" will drive down the cost of an upgraded 17". Come on Apple, give us a faster bus!

Or give us the headless iMac with a 20" screen combo!
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #65 of 129
It really seems they'd want to reduce the bevel a bit though if they were going for the 20" iMac.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #66 of 129
what about including speakers in the display kind of rap around system? i saw a cool screen at target a designer series that was a central screen surrounded by dimpled edges and including speakers, the question will the movable arm stay, and if so, then the base could be low slim and nearly invisible. or just a screen that contained the entire computer, being up in the air would improve cooling, put the superdrive verticle
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #67 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
AI Second Page weighs in with more confirmation:

AppleInsider received several pieces of information over the weekend that stated Apple would release a 20" iMac and dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 on November 18th. The information was not published and assumed to be part of a misinformation campaign due to a lack of confirmation. However, numerous media outlets are now confirming similar tips as authentic.

According to two anonymous reports, Apple retailers in the north east had received shipments of both dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5s and a new 20" iMac as of early this morning. A third 'mystery' product, priced at $749 USD, was said to be unknown and rumored to be either a wide-screen 17" display or possibly a reduced price on the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

The 20" iMac is said to included a 1.25GHz G4 processor and the 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 is to see a "significant reduction in price," according to the information.

$749 seems too much for a wide screen 17" LCD monitor at todays prices, and too little for a 20" monitor based on current prices of 18-20" monitors. I hope that Apple reads the market well enough to know that, if not then they need to fire some people in the marketing division.

Personal opinion, Apple needs another high priced AIO like I need another hole in my head. I seriously doubt that they could sell one at the price of the current high end price, at least to consumers on a large scale. Also, having a monitor that large on the iMac would run the risk of eroding the low end PowerMac sales because the screen would be large enough for efficient use in a DTP production environment. The timing of such a release in conjunction with a release of a new PM speed would be counter productive to the sales of the (typically) higher margin PM's, and cut into Apples bottom line.

I realize that Apple is possibly shifting focus in the short term from "switchers" but in my opinion they need to better address the lower end of their product matrix to address the needs of consumers and businesses that they are not meeting, and therefore are not competing for business, with their current products. Another high end iMac does not do this, neither does another over priced monitor. A dual 1.8 Ghz PM addresses some professional needs, and could pick up PM sales if Apple were to reduce the pricing of the single processor G5's at the same time. As many before have said, what Apple really needs is a lower cost consumer desktop, not an AIO and not last years towers. They might also benefit from higher speed G4's in the iMac, after all the 7457 is now out with speeds of at least 1.4 Ghz (PowerLogix Cube upgrade uses this) so there is no excuse for Apple not shipping an iMac with this chip in it given that the price (in quantity) of the new chip on the smaller process should be close to if not less than the 7455 chips at a comperable speed and the fact that the 7455 is pin compatible with the 7455. I would also expect that Apple would have access to 7455 chips of at least 1.6 ghz given their relationship with Motorolla.
post #68 of 129
Maybe something like this:

- Drop 15" iMac
- (current) 17" SuperDrive for $1399-$1499
- New single 1.25GHz G4 w/20" display for $1999
- New dual 1.25GHz G4 w/20" display for $2499
post #69 of 129
I don't like that lineup. Raising the price on the low end when it desperately needs to come down below $1000 for the first time since the iMac2's introduction? That's a really dumb idea. If Apple's dropping the price on the 20" Cinema, they'll also (hopefully) keep the price the same for the 20" iMacs. It absolutely should not go over $2000, and $1800 is already too much (but reasonable with a screen bump this significant). So... $1800 for the 20" Superdrive, $1300 for the 17" Superdrive, and $1000 for the 17" Combo drive. That would be much better than the current lineup, although replacing the eMac with a $800 15" Combo version would be nice too.
post #70 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Maybe something like this:

- Drop 15" iMac

Apple needs a lower priced computer for the holiday season, not a more expensive one, and dual G4's in an iMac? Now that is wishfull thinking, and again would cut in too much into sales of low end PM's to professional users.
post #71 of 129
I am hoping that if there is a 20" iMac tomorrow it is with a 1.6GHz 970, there really is no heat issue when compared to the G4 at these speeds. The heat issue is a smokescreen while Apple readies new products for release. They want us to believe that 970 based iMac's and Powerbooks are far off, so don't stop buying iMacs or Powerbooks. They need the surprise factor in order to protect their sales. 3-6 months of consumers holding off purchases can be devastating. They have done a good job of managing expectations thus far.

Let me tell you a secret. The 970 is less expensive than a G4, IBM gets better yields per Wafer and IBM is pricing the chips to convert Apple's entire line to them. Apple wants to cut their costs if they are going to have to compete on price as well. Apple wants to surprise us with the 64-bit consumer line. Maybe for this reason I doubt they will ship a 970 iMac unless they are ready to convert the entire iMac and Powerbook line, in order not to kill sales as expectations will cause buyers to hold off on smaller iMacs and of course on Powerbooks since it would appear Powerbook G5's were imminent.

So, I guess I talked myself into believing a G4 iMac will be released imminently and we'll have to wait for San Francisco for the next round of rumors. Though I don't understand why they wouldn't use the 1.33 7447 G4 or by now a higher speed of 1.4GHz.

What about the surprise product? Here is my Guess, a 17" TFT iMac for 749, DVD-ROM drive, Optional combo drive. The end of the eMac as we currently know it.

I also think the new high end G5 will be a dual 2.2 GHz G5 which is the current U3 ASIC's limit, then a dual 2 GHz and a single 1.8 GHz with similar to the current will become the low-end. I think the 1.6 GHz has simply not been selling and Apple is taking this as a clue as to what the pro market wants.
post #72 of 129
With all those rumours of a newly designed iMac due in January, this 20 incher sounds very plausible. While I'm still not completely buying any new design for another 6 months, a larger screen certainly extends the shelf life of the current model.

The bigger question is cost. If this is not priced somewhat aggressively, it could just end up being a white elephant.
Hmm...does anyone think Apple could sell the current 17" starting at the 15" price of $1299? That might be a bit of a stretch...probably more like $1499.
post #73 of 129
If that mystery item is a new 17" screen I wonder if will be the first of the rumored new form factor to match the G5?

Jason
post #74 of 129
Maybe. Actually, that might be part of tomorrow too: new displays? Perhaps announced (with the 17" available immediately) and the others trickling in over the coming weeks?

It's not unheard of for Apple to announce/unveil something and then not actually SHIP them for weeks to come (sometimes MONTHS).

Just a thought...

In any case, I'd just about bet the farm - and everything on it - that any new displays from Apple will indeed match the styling of the G5 and PowerBooks (in other words, aluminum and straighter lines).

Tomorrow should be interesting, just to see.
post #75 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

- Drop 15" iMac

If the rumor is true, my guess at a new lineup:

15" iMac = $1099 with current specs
17" iMac = $1599 with current specs
20" iMac = $2099 with current 17" specs

iMacs won't ever get duals, IMO.
post #76 of 129
I think it would be nice to see a faster processor and possibly the newer graphics cards... Built in bluetooth as standard but at reduced cost would be a nice move for me.

Jason
post #77 of 129
The price/performance ratio of the iMac compared to PCs is worse than it ever has been before. The iMac is just too slow when compared to PCs that cost hundreds of dollars less. A larger screen iMac is not a bad thing, but they need to make the iMac more powerful. A 20" 2GHz G5 iMac would be a pretty tempting machine right now.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #78 of 129
For the G4 to be equal with the P4 it needs to be at .6 the speed. That means between 1.8 and 1.9 GHz for the top end G4. Apple needs to make a quick change to 970's and move beyond 2GHz. Leave the G4 for the iBooks and eMacs.
post #79 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by stingerman
Leave the G4 for the iBooks and eMacs.

... [sigh] and don't forget the PowerBooks
less is more
less is more
post #80 of 129
Perhaps the $749 "mystery item" is in fact the 15" iMac?

Perhaps
Perhaps not
\
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 20" iMac Tomorrow?